Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Solly posted:

Edit: on your last point, I@ve noticed a few posts on some help boards about people getting stuck into boot loops, if such a thing were to happen I would assume there is no way to restore it via itunes. Are these people just being stupid or is that a possibility?
A DFU mode restore or, worst case, tinyumbrella can kick a device out of a boot loop. You cannot brick an idevice via software only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

randyest posted:

A DFU mode restore or, worst case, tinyumbrella can kick a device out of a boot loop. You cannot brick an idevice via software only.

You can actually. I don't know how the gently caress it happened but recently I got stuck in some kind of bootloop when I restored my ipad 1 to stock to sell to a friend. The apple rep politely replaced it and hinted he had the problem too when he jailbroke his iPad.

It's anecdotal, and rare, but they're not completely invincible. (and no, I didnt have an entry in my hosts file)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Keep the biteSMS one, get rid of the LockInfo one. (For reference the biteSMS one is part of the "quicklist" functionality)

That's basically what I did. Wonder why biteSMS doesn't allow a toggle for their icon, though?

Still trying to figure out how to luanch web apps from the springboard into AtomicWeb...

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

LamoTheKid posted:

You can actually. I don't know how the gently caress it happened but recently I got stuck in some kind of bootloop when I restored my ipad 1 to stock to sell to a friend. The apple rep politely replaced it and hinted he had the problem too when he jailbroke his iPad.

It's anecdotal, and rare, but they're not completely invincible. (and no, I didnt have an entry in my hosts file)

Did you try a DFU-mode restore? I don't think there's anything you can do in software that would prevent that from working.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
4.3.4 / 4.2.9 are out.

The PDF exploit is the only fix, so there is zero reason to upgrade if you're jailbroken.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Xenomorph posted:

4.3.4 / 4.2.9 are out.

The PDF exploit is the only fix, so there is zero reason to upgrade if you're jailbroken.

Well that's a kick in the nuts, I really hope my tiny umbrella thing worked because my current jailbreak install is a bit hosed. Suppose it could be ages until another security hole is found. Its a bit strange really that I have to hope my mobile device is unsecure in some way so I can get the most out of it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Solly posted:

Well that's a kick in the nuts, I really hope my tiny umbrella thing worked because my current jailbreak install is a bit hosed. Suppose it could be ages until another security hole is found. Its a bit strange really that I have to hope my mobile device is unsecure in some way so I can get the most out of it.
Apple generally continues to sign the previous iOS firmware version for at least a few days after releasing a new version. I haven't checked myself, but you can probably install 4.3.3 and/or save the SHSH if you do it really soon.

There's also a .PDF vulnerability fix on Cydia, so jailbreaking your device and installing that patch actually removes any security risk.

maduin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 15, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Solly posted:

I don't mean for this to be overtly mean spirited towards you, but I seriously believe I'm going to do a 30 second long spit-take the first time (if ever) I read a non-negative iDevice-related post from you.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

law abiding rapist posted:

Did you try a DFU-mode restore? I don't think there's anything you can do in software that would prevent that from working.

I was actually stuck in a DFU loop. It was incredibly annoying. Apple replaced it so it wasn't a big deal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can anyone recommend a jb app that will allow me to control the brightness from the app switcher?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can anyone recommend a jb app that will allow me to control the brightness from the app switcher?

SBSettings will allow you to do it from any page on the phone. I'm not aware of an app that will let you do it from the app-switching menu, however.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Feenix posted:

I don't mean for this to be overtly mean spirited towards you, but I seriously believe I'm going to do a 30 second long spit-take the first time (if ever) I read a non-negative iDevice-related post from you.

Its true but I'm miserable about everything its just who I am, if you look back a page or so I do mention how I love my ipad after jailbreaking.

Unfortunately I wont be near my pc for a few days so ill just have to hope the previous tiny umbrella thing worked

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

IllegallySober posted:

SBSettings will allow you to do it from any page on the phone. I'm not aware of an app that will let you do it from the app-switching menu, however.

I know it can but the gesture I have to invoke SBSettings relies on the status bar being visible which is no good for fullscreen apps. I know I could just use a button-based action to invoke SBSettings but I would rather have a brightness toggle in the switcher because it's more intuitive.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Solly posted:

Its true but I'm miserable about everything its just who I am, if you look back a page or so I do mention how I love my ipad after jailbreaking.

Unfortunately I wont be near my pc for a few days so ill just have to hope the previous tiny umbrella thing worked

You can use iSHSHit from cydia to grab your blobs right onto your ipad. You can then email them to yourself as an extra precaution.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Solly posted:

:siren: SAVE YOUR SHSH USING TINYUMBRELLA RIGHT NOW. LITERALLY DO IT THIS SECOND. THEY ARE STILL SIGNING BUT NOT FOR LONG. :siren:

edit: Or iSHSHit, as per above. Do this if you can't use TU.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
When I put my iPad (4.3.3) into recovery mode, TinyUmbrella doesn't recognize the device and only displays a question mark and its ECID in the left pane. Is there a solution for this? Google just turns up results for people stuck in boot loops. Never mind, I'm an idiot.

I'll try iSHSHit in the mean time, even though I find TinyUmbrella more convenient and would allow me to keep my SHSH backups in the same format as the ones I already did for my 3Gs.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 16, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Zorilla posted:

When I put my iPad (4.3.3) into recovery mode, TinyUmbrella doesn't recognize the device and only displays a question mark and its ECID in the left pane. Is there a solution for this? Google just turns up results for people stuck in boot loops.

I'll try iSHSHit in the mean time, even though I find TinyUmbrella more convenient and would allow me to keep my SHSH backups in the same format as the ones I already did for my 3Gs.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but is there a reason you're putting your iPad into recovery mode before connecting it to TinyUmbrella and trying to save your SHSH blobs?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

maduin posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but is there a reason you're putting your iPad into recovery mode before connecting it to TinyUmbrella and trying to save your SHSH blobs?

Because I apparently couldn't remember what I did to save the SHSH blobs on my iPhone 3GS literally two minutes earlier. I could've sworn that's what it had me do then. Nothing to see here. My SHSH is saved now.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Does the new JailbreakMe jailbreak still have sandbox issues with GameCenter? I'm getting really sick of this nonsense in 4.2.1.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bucket Joneses posted:

SBSwitcher puts all your SBSettings in he switcher bar, including brightness. There's another app that changes volume to brightness but I forgot the name.

Ezrem posted:

Does the new JailbreakMe jailbreak still have sandbox issues with GameCenter? I'm getting really sick of this nonsense in 4.2.1.
No.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Bidness posted:

Hopefully this isn't :filez: but the new version of iMAME4all works with the iCade. It's pretty cool.

Welp, finally a reason to have my drat iPad jailbroken. Thanks for the heads up!

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
http://lifehacker.com/5821922/new-version-of-iswipe-gets-better-features-and-a-name-change

Anybody that's used Swype on android phones. Now you can get it on the iPhone. Works pretty good and I like it better than the standard keyboard.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
If this qualifies as a "Filez" discussion I'll get rid of it. My iPad generally never leaves my house and is wifi only. I'd like to use it to use the free version of spotify when I'm in my house away from my computer. Is there a way to have spotify streaming work on the iPad without subscribing?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

burmart posted:

If this qualifies as a "Filez" discussion I'll get rid of it. My iPad generally never leaves my house and is wifi only. I'd like to use it to use the free version of spotify when I'm in my house away from my computer. Is there a way to have spotify streaming work on the iPad without subscribing?

Use Splashtop to connect to your PC and stream the PC audio to the iPad? Of course, I don't think you'd be able to exit Splashtop and keep the music playing, so you'd be stuck not being able to use other apps while the music is playing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

edit: sorry wrong thread

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Biodome posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5821922/new-version-of-iswipe-gets-better-features-and-a-name-change

Anybody that's used Swype on android phones. Now you can get it on the iPhone. Works pretty good and I like it better than the standard keyboard.
In case I'm not the only one wondering: you have to add http://wynd.x10.mx as a source in Cydia for this to show up.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

I gave iUsers a shot after seeing it linked on Engadget. On my iPad 2, it crashed while logging into a second user, and when I rebooted, all my application data was lost. Not much of a loss for me luckily, but a warning for others.

Be careful with beta jailbreak apps I guess?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Biodome posted:

It's really cool, unfortunately my normal typing is so fast it thinks I'm swiping :(

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there a hack that lets me queue songs without explicitly adding them to a playlist? For example, I'm playing SongOne, and I want to play SongTwo after this one is over. I'd love to be able to find SongTwo and press and hold it or something to add it to my play queue.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I jailbroke my phone back at 4.0.1 and haven't since. I see the info about backing up the phone so I don't lose my data, but I don't understand the terminal stuff I'm supposed to type in for step 2. Where/how do I type that in? Are there more detailed instructions for this process?

Where can I download the 4.3.3 firmware?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to log in to the phone remotely using ssh. Google probably can tell you how.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

withak posted:

You have to log in to the phone remotely using ssh. Google probably can tell you how.

Ok I followed the SSH instructions in the OP and made the packages.txt file. I found the firmware on iClarified as well. If I restore from backup after the firmware install, do I also need to backup all my data using the DataDeposit app mentioned?

When I did my first jailbreak I used TinyUmbrella, but do I need to do that again? Do I do that after I jailbreak?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Ok I followed the SSH instructions in the OP and made the packages.txt file. I found the firmware on iClarified as well. If I restore from backup after the firmware install, do I also need to backup all my data using the DataDeposit app mentioned?

When I did my first jailbreak I used TinyUmbrella, but do I need to do that again? Do I do that after I jailbreak?

I'll tell you right now, you probably don't have a 4.3.3 shsh blob saved and I doubt Apple is signing it still. But yes, you'd need to run TinyUmbrella even to install 4.3.3 if Apple isn't signing it.

maduin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 18, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As far as I know, Datadeposit saves pretty much the same stuff that the regular iPhone backup does, just in the cloud instead of on your computer through iTunes.

The packages.txt trick is just a quick way to reinstall all of you jailbroken apps. The regular iTunes backup won't reinstall JB stuff, but it will save the data so that when you do reinstall them, the JB apps will find all of their old settings and data right where it should be.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

maduin posted:

I'll tell you right now, you probably don't have a 4.3.3 shsh blob saved and I doubt Apple is signing it still. But yes, you'd need to run TinyUmbrella even to install 4.3.3 if Apple isn't signing it.

I'm at jailbroken 4.0.1 right now. Do I update to 4.3.3 in iTunes using the firmware I downloaded from iClarified then run TinyUmbrella or should I jailbreak the 4.3.3 and then run TinyUmbrella?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
TinyUmbrella has nothing to do with jailbreaking your device. It is for installing firmware that Apple is no longer giving permission to install.

I run TinyUmbrella all the time to back up an assload of SHSH blobs for a bunch of devices I don't even have. Most of the devices I use TinyUmbrella for are not jailbroken, or have ever been jailbroken.
It is simply a tool to backup the SHSH blob that Apple is signing at that current time. It doesn't matter what version of iOS you have installed, or what version you want to install. The only thing that matters is what Apple is signing _this second_.
You don't use it to jailbreak. You don't use it "after a jailbreak". You use it to backup your SHSH for any iOS device.

I would run it NOW to see if you can backup the 4.3.3. I don't give a poo poo if your intention is to jailbreak or not, just run TinyUmbrella and grab your SHSH blobs ASAP. Run it on all your friends' iOS devices as well.

Just run TinyUmbrella now, and run it again every time a new firmware is released. Everything else is irrelevant.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm getting the 1013 error trying to update to 4.3.3. I deleted the gs.apple.com lines in my hosts file and unchecked the "Set Hosts to Cydia" box in TinyUmbrella. I'm just shift+clicking the restore button in iTunes and selecting the 4.3.3 file I downloaded from here http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=15928

Are you saying that it's not possible to install 4.3.3 at this time because 4.3.4 came out? I thought you just can't downgrade. I'm just upgrading from 4.0.1.

edit: Now I relaunched iTunes to try and restore again and I get error 3194. The Apple support page for it says to just update iTunes to resolve the error, but I'm running the current version of iTunes. I just put the phone in DFU mode and tried to update to 4.3.3 again and I still get error 3194.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 19, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Are you saying that it's not possible to install 4.3.3 at this time because 4.3.4 came out? I thought you just can't downgrade. I'm just upgrading from 4.0.1.

You can't install any firmware except the one Apple is signing. Since Apple is now only signing 4.3.4, you can't install 4.3.3 without using TinyUmbrella--and even then, only with a SHSH saved (fully read the op if you're confused about this, because it's well explained). If you have your SHSH saved, open TinyUmbrella and click Start TSS server and restore via iTunes; then select 'Kick Device Out of Recovery' once your phone restores and iTunes errors.

If you don't have a 4.3.3 SHSH--again, TinyUmbrella will tell you this when you retrieve them from Cydia (Cydia is your only hope here, since you didn't manually save them), then you can't install 4.3.3.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I only have an SHSH saved from 4.0.2. You said "If you don't have a 4.3.3 SHSH--again, TinyUmbrella will tell you this when you retrieve them from Cydia" but how do I retrieve them from Cydia?

I just now was able to restore to 4.0.2 (I got an error, but eventually it must have cycled through without me clicking Exit Recovery which I think is what you meant with "Kick Device Out...") and I'm restoring from backup right now.

Xenomorph said he backs up SHSHs from devices he doesn't even own, so they must not be unique to the device. I guess Cydia is how I can get one, but I don't see how.

edit: I clicked the Save SHSH button in TinyUmbrella and it now lists 4.3.3 in my Saved SHSHs. I started the TSS Server and I'm trying to restore to 4.3.3 in iTunes again. Maybe this will work.

edit2: Nope didn't work. I saw the update progress bar on the phone and maybe about halfway it rebooted and iTunes errored. I waited a bit and then hit "Exit Recovery" in TinyUmbrella. The phone rebooted, but iTunes still says it's in recovery mode and needs to be restored. Shouldn't this have worked if 4.3.3 says it's saved in the SHSH list? Maybe TinyUmbrella is in error when it thinks I have saved these other SHSHs? It also says I have 4.3 and 4.2.1, so I tried restoring to those with no success.

edit3: The most recent firmware I tried to install was 4.2.1. I now put the phone in DFU mode and clicked Fix Recovery in TinyUmbrella. The phone booted up and had 4.2.1 installed on it and iTunes is now restoring my backup. I'm going to try and put 4.3.3 on it again and then try Fix Recovery to see if this repeats itself. ...and it didn't. Tried it again with 4.3 and while Fixing Recovery the phone froze while all that code was running on the screen. I rebooted it. Not sure if there is anything I can do for now. I guess this 4.2.1 that strangely works is my best option.

In the future, I should Save SHSH in TinyUmbrella whenever a firmware is released, whether I've updated my phone to that firmware or not? I don't sync my phone that often, so I'll have to see the ebst way to check when new firmwares are released. I do think that something should be added to the first :siren: section of the OP that mentions if the current firmware can't be jailbroken, then you are out of luck if you haven't been keeping up to date with the SHSHs. I hadn't updated my firmware to the current version and I do have an SHSH saved, so I thought I was fine. It could be made more clear.

edit4: I jailbroke 4.2.1 and I'm trying to do the app backup with the command lines and it's not working. I made the packages.txt beforehand and luckily I copied it to my desktop because it was erased with everything else (that should be added to the OP). I copied it back over and used the Terminal in WinSCP. I ran the next two lines and it says it will update the apps. Then I get an error saying there is no response from the host. I made it so the screen won't go black like I read in the thread, but still nothing.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
Anyone use MyProfiles and can give me a point in the right direction, or anyone got a suggestion for an alternate to do this?

I've gtot 2 email accounts on my iPhone, they're both gmail accounts, setup as exchange, so they both push.

One is "mine" the other is work. I'd like the phone to NOT beep when a work email comes in after 5pm or on the weekend, as I get to ignore them in that period.

I've tried MyProfiles, and I'm not sure I see how to set this up - I can only have one time-based rule per profile it seems; so after 5pm OR weekend isn't possible?

Also if I setup a "profile alert" for an email account, and switch the "in all profiles" slider to Off; MyProfiles crashes. Every time. This tends to give the impression of an app that doesn't work.

Hence; am I going about setting this up in MyProfiles wrong? Is there a better method to control the email beeps by time? (for one account only!)

Edit: it appears that with only 1 profile alert, trying to set to "not all profiles" makes it crash, and I need a "work email" and a "work email silent" to get some control. However; "don't vibrate" still causes it to crash whenever I slide it.

Edit 2: and MyProfiles apparently likes to ignore what you change regarding things like "override silent" - this is a POS, basically.

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 19, 2011

• Locked thread