Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

$42k pre-tax?

There is no way IBR results in paying 57% of your pre-tax income in student loan bills. Something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you get that under IBR at all? I think I got my sallie mae loan consolidated with my other federal loans and now I pay literally $0 a month on that $100k loan because the government hasn't figured out I have a job yet and they haven't asked about it. I used the calculator on their website and with my $41k/year job I'll be paying a little over $300/month when it comes due I believe.

Yeah, a huge chunk of my loans were still in their grace period until recently. My total payment went from $900 a month to $2000 this month. I applied for consolidation and IBR at the same time but that is still pending.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

srsly posted:

$42k pre-tax?

There is no way IBR results in paying 57% of your pre-tax income in student loan bills. Something is wrong.

Yes pre-tax. I'm just speculating right now because I sent in my consolidation form to Dept of Ed and they didn't request my 2010 taxes. They wanted proof of my taxable income in the form of my last two pay-stubs. The online IBR calculator says if they consider my entire gross salary then I will owe $300/month. If they use my estimated AGI then I should only be paying $120/month since I throw a lot of money into the Thrift Savings Plan.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you get that under IBR at all? I think I got my sallie mae loan consolidated with my other federal loans and now I pay literally $0 a month on that $100k loan because the government hasn't figured out I have a job yet and they haven't asked about it. I used the calculator on their website and with my $41k/year job I'll be paying a little over $300/month when it comes due I believe.

Don't you have a duty to supplement when your income changes?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TheBestDeception posted:

Don't you have a duty to supplement when your income changes?

Nope. I thought so too but have been unable to find anything in all of my paperwork or on the website that says I have to tell them my income has changed. My situation is like Ainsleys in that when I applied for IBR I made basically nothing and now I have an awesome job where I make good money. Their website says they conduct yearly reviews and reassesments, so I'll be waiting on that. If it never happens I'm sure as poo poo not going to remind them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

srsly posted:

By "firm" do you mean "fast-food restaurant"?

These numbers do not make sense to me.

Shutup Ph.D face.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

Defleshed posted:

Nope. I thought so too but have been unable to find anything in all of my paperwork or on the website that says I have to tell them my income has changed. My situation is like Ainsleys in that when I applied for IBR I made basically nothing and now I have an awesome job where I make good money. Their website says they conduct yearly reviews and reassesments, so I'll be waiting on that. If it never happens I'm sure as poo poo not going to remind them.

Same here - there is nothing at all in anything the Dept of Ed has published suggesting how or if you need to report an increase in income. IBR is still new and they just have no idea how to manage or audit it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anthropolis posted:

Same here - there is nothing at all in anything the Dept of Ed has published suggesting how or if you need to report an increase in income. IBR is still new and they just have no idea how to manage or audit it.

Yeah, when I got my job I actually looked around on the website for the form or whatever that told them my new income but I couldn't even find it. The only thing I've got from them is a form asking me if my family size has changed.

I guess January 10th is a pretty sweet time to get hired for loan repayment purposes

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Every semester, before test week, I got insanely depressed because I knew that taking all those tests meant gently caress-all. And I was right.

I'm seriously considering scrawling "I WILL SUCK YOUR DICK" on my resumes now.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Please send your resume to me at

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Every semester, before test week, I got insanely depressed because I knew that taking all those tests meant gently caress-all. And I was right.

Learn some bankruptcy, 112 days til The Mudd Lawfirm opens. (assuming I pass this loving test).

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

We would like you to give us a blowjob.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Stunt Rock posted:

We would like you to give us a blowjob.

I knew your father....

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
This is my regular reminder that since law jobs are failing you, maybe you should look into another career path.

Being directly involved at a high level in a country's WTO accession process one year out of law school is pretty rad.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

HiddenReplaced posted:

I knew your father....

As much MSJ work as Scraps has done, it should be a very good blowjob.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

As much MSJ work as Scraps has done, it should be a very good blowjob.

I'll change those to MBJs if price is right

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Learn some bankruptcy, 112 days til The Mudd Lawfirm opens. (assuming I pass this loving test).

Need an administrator?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

IrritationX posted:

Need an administrator?

First clients, then an admin ;)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

First clients, then an admin ;)

The fun part is we get to wait until November!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

CNBC posted:

The median salary of court reporters is $57,200 but those who are more experienced and can type 200+ words a minute make an average of $105,000, according to PayScale.com. And, court reporters are expected to be one of the jobs in demand over the next decade – both inside and outside the courtroom -- with the number of court reporters expected to jump 18 percent.

PIZZA
Jun 22, 2004
Hello lawyer thread, you may remember me from such hits as "I'm thinking of going to law school" and "I have a 3.0 gpa music degree" back in like, April. Anyway, thanks a bunch for the advice, I'm stopping that madness before it starts, I thought some of you would be happy to know.

I'm also posting here because I have a legal question but I realized while writing this that there's a legal question thread - here's my post, it's related to what I've decided to do instead of selling my soul. Thanks again!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

The real cushy stenographer jobs are in closed captioning for TV. Better pay, do it from home, and if you gently caress up you don't have to go back and fix it!

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Is anyone (currently studying for the bar) other than me wondering just how in the hell anyone passes the bar?

I mean, I see the statistics that approximately 80% of people pass the bar (in my state) every year, and something like 90% of first time takers from an ABA school pass, but for some reason I can't see how.

We are responsible for 18 subjects on the state essays. The essays require an average score of 75% to pass.

These MBE questions have become a complete mindfuck and I'm struggling to get 50% of them right in nearly every subject. I'm so worried about the MBE that I'm neglecting essay practice in favor of doing even more practice MBE questions.

And now I realize that I'm not scared of failing the bar because of any repercussions with my job (although I guess it's possible they fire me after I start in August) but terrified because of the embarrassment failing would bring me.

I'm probably just ranting, but I'm cooped up in my house with all of these loving books and completely convinced that I'll be spending another four months getting ready for the February bar.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

People pass because everyone has the exact mindset you do right now and scares themselves into studying 15 hours a day for weeks in a row.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

diospadre posted:

People pass because everyone has the exact mindset you do right now and scares themselves into studying 15 hours a day for weeks in a row.

Uh oh.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Umm, I only scared myself into practicing 6-8 hours a day for like 2 weeks.

:suicide:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Former Everything posted:

These MBE questions have become a complete mindfuck and I'm struggling to get 50% of them right in nearly every subject. I'm so worried about the MBE that I'm neglecting essay practice in favor of doing even more practice MBE questions.

Assuming you're talking about the BarBri ones, does this send anyone else into a boiling rage? Specifically, I'm talking about horribly worded answers to the multiple-choice questions, where you know the answer is "because it's res ipsa loquitur," for example, but the right MC answer is "plaintiff recovers, because the limb-eating elevator can only be activated from the first floor."

I've done about 600 MBE practice questions at this point, but at least two dozen times I've known exactly what the right answer is and why but still gotten it wrong because the questions are worded vaguely and shittily.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

prussian advisor posted:

Assuming you're talking about the BarBri ones, does this send anyone else into a boiling rage? Specifically, I'm talking about horribly worded answers to the multiple-choice questions, where you know the answer is "because it's res ipsa loquitur," for example, but the right MC answer is "plaintiff recovers, because the limb-eating elevator can only be activated from the first floor."

I've done about 600 MBE practice questions at this point, but at least two dozen times I've known exactly what the right answer is and why but still gotten it wrong because the questions are worded vaguely and shittily.

I just took the 100 question half-day exam in the step 5 book, and so many of the questions were just like this. You know the answer, yet it's not present in any discernible form.

Here's to hoping BarBri's claim that their questions are "statistically more difficult" than the actual MBE proves to be true.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I like the MBE because it's a last hurrah for my multiple-choice standardized test skills.

Soon, my most useful skill in life is useless, damnit.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Former Everything posted:

Is anyone (currently studying for the bar) other than me wondering just how in the hell anyone passes the bar?

In the scale I trust.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Is there a job for someone who is good at taking standardized tests to punch well above their gpa weight if this whole lawyer thing doesn't work out, like some profession where I can be lazy and then ace a multiple choice test every once in a while for mad bucks.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

evilweasel posted:

Is there a job for someone who is good at taking standardized tests to punch well above their gpa weight if this whole lawyer thing doesn't work out, like some profession where I can be lazy and then ace a multiple choice test every once in a while for mad bucks.

Yeah, you can take the LSAT for people who want to go to law school. Charge 10k and tell people it's a bargain considering how much money somebody will make because of it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

evilweasel posted:

I wish. I'd jump at the chance to be a professional standardized test taker.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Diplomaticus posted:

This is my regular reminder that since law jobs are failing you, maybe you should look into another career path.

Being directly involved at a high level in a country's WTO accession process one year out of law school is pretty rad.
Applying to be an FSO and getting rejected is becoming an annual tradition for me. I've recently added getting rejected for a DSS SA position into the festivities for extra fun.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Where do you folks come down on the closing/valediction section of letters? Am I stuck with "very truly yours" or do you think I can be a renegade and go with "sincerely"?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I prefer:

Love and Puppy Dog Hugs,

diospadre

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Alaemon posted:

Where do you folks come down on the closing/valediction section of letters? Am I stuck with "very truly yours" or do you think I can be a renegade and go with "sincerely"?

"Sincerely" is for renegades? It's what I usually use for business letters. Maybe this is why my 1L job search was such a pain.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Alaemon posted:

Oh God I'm not supposed to use sincerely?!?!?!?!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I like the Brits' use of "Yours faithfully".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I don't think firms are going to not interview you because you decided to end your letter with a "different" salutation. If they do, you don't want to work for them anyways.

I usually use "yours truly" but I've never even heard of "very truly yours". Regional thing?