Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

I really, really want one of the new fuelie Sportsters. Very nice!

Thanks. I've already put almost 300 miles on it and its loving awesome. The only thing that sucks is that the tank is tiny. Even though its pretty good on fuel, it still has dick for range because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

redscare posted:

Thanks. I've already put almost 300 miles on it and its loving awesome. The only thing that sucks is that the tank is tiny. Even though its pretty good on fuel, it still has dick for range because of that.

This should help make it even more awesome: https://www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/Harley-Davidson_XR1200_Harris_Race_Bike_Products.html

megamang
Feb 2, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

redscare posted:

What kind of distance are you getting out of the tank?

I am thinking of buying one soonish.

also http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/index.php take a look around there if you have not already.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Trip Daddy X posted:

Having finally sold my '09 Ninja 250, I recently upgraded to an '06 Ninja ZX6R. It has custom paint, Power Commander, full front to back Yoshimura RS-5 exhaust, GPR Stabilizer, and a bunch of litle goodies like LED taillight and flush mount turn signals. This is the first bike I've ridden besides my 250, and all I can say is WOW.

Welcome to the 636 club! Bike looks awesome with the lower fairings painted. Why couldn't they just do that from the factory?

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Trip Daddy X posted:

Having finally sold my '09 Ninja 250, I recently upgraded to an '06 Ninja ZX6R. It has custom paint, Power Commander, full front to back Yoshimura RS-5 exhaust, GPR Stabilizer, and a bunch of litle goodies like LED taillight and flush mount turn signals. This is the first bike I've ridden besides my 250, and all I can say is WOW.

Welcome to the 636 club

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

redscare posted:

A couple days ago in the discussion thread:

Today:

Going to need some more pictures and impressions please. That bike is so fuckin rad.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Replaced this guy:

with this guy:

The 2012 Triple is just not flashy enough, though - trying to think of some non-horrible cosmetic stuff to do to it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Some white rim tape would be sufficient amount of flash.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Trip Daddy X posted:

Nice bike. How awesome? Translate your transitory experience into words! :allears:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Trip Daddy X posted:

I'm looking to do the exact same thing soon, so I'm interested in your thoughts on the transition while it is still fresh for you.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AncientTV posted:

Some white rim tape would be sufficient amount of flash.

Clean up tail section as well with a decent undertail, but really that's a flash lookin' bike as it is.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Trip Daddy X posted:

awesome! I think the 636 is one of the best 600s out there. Are those front forks from a different bike? I think stock the came with gold uppers.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Welp picking up this squid machine tomorrow! I know I have said this before but I think i'll be done sell/buying bikes for a while.

17k miles, Mechanic owned and original owner, valve adjutsment done, fluids changed, new brake pads, brand new Dunlop Q2s on it, frame sliders (bikes never been down however) and swingarm spools, and pretty cool powdercoated wheels, rear shock from an 08 so it has high and low speed compression damping, otherwise stock. I might get aftermarket levers for it.

I was never a fan of a lot of Suzuki's styling but the 05-06 gsx-r 1k is definitely a slick looking machine in person, really nice riding position too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's a really clean GSXR from one of the best looking generations, congrats!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Yeah I dig those wheels. It gives me a bug-eye Subaru STi sorta feeling.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 18, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

frozenphil posted:

I'm looking to do the exact same thing soon, so I'm interested in your thoughts on the transition while it is still fresh for you.

Just doing a quick CL search:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2500773769.html

Makes me feel the same way...

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
what's it about the 636s?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

the walkin dude posted:

what's it about the 636s?

The 36 part

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

The 36 part

To expand on this, Kawasaki made a 600 that was actually good for street use too, rather than just a trackbike. Thusly the small overbore, and the more comfortable seating position.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

infraboy posted:

awesome! I think the 636 is one of the best 600s out there. Are those front forks from a different bike? I think stock the came with gold uppers.

it might be a repainted 06 SE, the forks on mine are not gold and that doesn't look like the stock Kawi blue

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Oh, so those are the stock exhausts on the Z1000? I saw one the other day and thought the owner had made some terrible decisions.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

Going to need some more pictures and impressions please. That bike is so fuckin rad.

Will do just that once I get time to take it on a proper ride and take some.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

The 2012 Triple is just not flashy enough, though - trying to think of some non-horrible cosmetic stuff to do to it.

Very nice. Don't forget to take off those reflectors on the forks while you're at it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

Welp picking up this squid machine tomorrow! I know I have said this before but I think i'll be done sell/buying bikes for a while.

17k miles, Mechanic owned and original owner, valve adjutsment done, fluids changed, new brake pads, brand new Dunlop Q2s on it, frame sliders (bikes never been down however) and swingarm spools, and pretty cool powdercoated wheels, rear shock from an 08 so it has high and low speed compression damping, otherwise stock. I might get aftermarket levers for it.

I was never a fan of a lot of Suzuki's styling but the 05-06 gsx-r 1k is definitely a slick looking machine in person, really nice riding position too.

Excellent choice sir! That looks bitchin' with the gold wheels. Find a nice empty stretch of road, get it up to 5k rpm in second, then give it full throttle hard and revel in some ridiculous intake growl.

Oh, and, you know, loving off into the distance at a considerable rate of speed.

You'll thank me later.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

infraboy posted:

Needs a fender eliminator asap!

And I definitely recommend aftermarket levers over the stock ones - just don't cheap out and get ebay levers. Do it right and get some Pazzos/ASVs/CRGs.

Kyon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 19, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Will do just that once I get time to take it on a proper ride and take some.

I hear Santa Barbara is nice this time of year!

come ride the 690

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Shouting Melon posted:

Oh, so those are the stock exhausts on the Z1000? I saw one the other day and thought the owner had made some terrible decisions.

:mad:

Yeah, they're stock; it's supposed to be a throwback to the original Z900's quad pipes. It's kind of the thing with the Z, it's always been this discordant and polarizing mishmash of design elements, people seem to think it's either drop dead gorgeous or the ugliest bike out there. It was my first bike and it was the looks that made me bite the bullet and become a rider in the first place. The later Z's seemed to me to get even busier and sillier looking, although the latest redesign (particularly in Kawi green) seems pretty sharp.

The worst thing about those quad pipes is that each one has a built in cat so the whole stock exhaust weighs almost 60 pounds or something dumb like that.

As far as the Triumph goes, a fender eliminator and removing those goofy fork reflectors are both planned. For flashy stuff I was thinking about doing the stock wheels in gold (Triumphs in black and gold aren't uncommon - infraboy posting his gold wheeled GSXR is a complete coincidence) or just polishing the rims like the Z had.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I hear Santa Barbara is nice this time of year!

come ride the 690

I might be up there for a couple days next week. Its for a work thing (car launch) but I *might* be able to sneak up there on the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

I might be up there for a couple days next week. Its for a work thing (car launch) but I *might* be able to sneak up there on the bike.

Cool, drop me a line. Either way we should try and grab lunch or dinner or something :)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Welp I managed to bring the 1000 home without hitting a tree, so no funny youtube videos.

+ Gear indicator!
+ wider feeling tank than 636
+ narrower handlebars than 636
+hilariously fast, I managed to get it around 9k rpm and was already doing about 70 in first gear, fun though.
+ Much quieter than the 636 on the freeway, almost silent.
+ seems to transmit more vibes to the handlebars cruising along than the 636.

Haven't played with the twisties yet, I might soften the front end a bit because it was a bit rocky feeling. Incredibly fun everyone should try a liter bike someday!

it's fairly easy to ride.... power everywhere, no real surprises in the powerband.

Now I have 2 suzukis and it's kinda weird, maybe I should swap the GS500 for an Fz6 or something, I don't think Honda or Yamaha make a modern bike with a twin engine that isn't a cruiser do they?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Do you feel like you'll still ride the 636? Or does the liter feel better all around?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
The only logical solution is to get a sumo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

Now I have 2 suzukis and it's kinda weird, maybe I should swap the GS500 for an Fz6 or something, I don't think Honda or Yamaha make a modern bike with a twin engine that isn't a cruiser do they?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

I don't think Honda or Yamaha make a modern bike with a twin engine that isn't a cruiser do they?

Not any more, but there's the Superhawk and RC51.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

is the MT01 still in production?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SaucyPants posted:

is the MT01 still in production?

Seems to be.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Now, do they sell it where infraboy is? Because it's not up for grabs in Canada or the US.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Its never been in production in the states :(

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

infraboy posted:

I don't think Honda or Yamaha make a modern bike with a twin engine that isn't a cruiser do they?

The VTR250!

(which is probably about a quarter of the capacity you're looking for, and Honda don't sell them in the US anyway)

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Phy posted:

Now, do they sell it where infraboy is? Because it's not up for grabs in Canada or the US.

there is one at blackfoot, I have wanted one since I first read about them in 07 I think it was. when I have the cash next year I doubt it will be around. Oh well guess I'll have to settle for an XR1200