Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Capcom should wait on MM11. MM9 was a very well designed game, but I think a big part of what made people so thrilled about it was that it took so long for it to come about. MM10 came out immediately after, and I was less excited to get it.

I do wish 9 and 10 had the charge shot and slide. It definitely sucks that they're missing. But they're still good games, It bothered me at first but I got used to it.

Rather than MM11, I think it would be cool to get 1 big compilation game sorta like Wily Wars, but with all 10 classic games. The gimmick is you can use any weapon in any game, and have the option to slide\charge in any game. MM7 and 8 would also be remade in 8-bit versions to match the other ones (yes, I know about the fan-made remakes). You could possibly unlock one enormous "supergame" where you can select any robot master level in any order. Of course, this would never happen as it would require a lot of effort to make when they can just re-release roms over Wii Virtual Console or something.

Wily Wars was one of the best Megaman games ever made and I wish they'd make a new Megaman game like it.

With modern graphics. On a major console. And not as a download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Screaming Idiot posted:

With modern graphics. On a major console. And not as a download.

For once I mostly agree with you. I left out the modern graphics bit as it would be pretty unrealistic to expect Capcom to completely redraw everything or make 3D models for each and every sprite that ever appeared in the classic series. It would already be a ton of work to redraw everything from 7 and 8 into the 8-bit style so it all matches. Plus you would have to recreate every level, weapon and enemy from MM1-8 in the MM9/10 engine, which would be more work than you'd think. It wouldn't be like designing everything from scratch, but it's not like you can just copy \ paste NES code into something modern.

Plus none of the "2.5D" games like Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X or Network Transmission really felt right. They all felt floaty and weird. Not like the NES games which were smooth and precise. I would want 2D sprites or no game at all.

I would love HD hand drawn sprites along the lines of something like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue, but that would be way, WAY too much work. This isn't just a "Capcom is lazy" thing, I wouldn't expect that from anybody. You could maybe remake 1 Mega Man game every couple years with HD sprites. But all of them? Nuh uh. It would be easier to use 3D models for everything, but it would suck and look bad.

All that said, Capcom actually did manage to do something kinda like this, the Japanese-only Complete Works versions of MM1-6, but they didn't combine them all into one game, of course. Plus I don't think anybody knows how much of those were emulated versus recoded. Sticking all 10 Mega Man games on one disc would be easy. Merging them all into one game would require some effort.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would love HD hand drawn sprites along the lines of something like Guilty Gear or BlazBlue, but that would be way, WAY too much work. This isn't just a "Capcom is lazy" thing, I wouldn't expect that from anybody. You could maybe remake 1 Mega Man game every couple years with HD sprites. But all of them? Nuh uh. It would be easier to use 3D models for everything, but it would suck and look bad.

I dunno, I can still call Capcom lazy, seeing as how one character in BlazBlue probably has more frames of animation than probably the majority of sprites in the entire Mega Man and Mega Man X series combined, and they probably have greater resources to work with than ASW does when putting out a new 2d fighter.

Mega Man is just not as 'cool' anymore among today's gamers. The original series has managed to get by on novelty alone with 9 and 10, but the X and Zero series are finished/dead, Legends is part of a small but devoted fanbase, the ZX games failed to keep the interest of many gamers for a number of good reasons.

I'd like to believe a super badass HD sprite Mega Man or X series title would fix things, but it's more likely that it wouldn't.

If we're bringing up our dream games, I want an X series game where it plays out like a (much) faster paced Monster Hunter, with four players working together to take down mavericks or giant machines that are absurdly tough to take down solo.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

fivegears4reverse posted:

I dunno, I can still call Capcom lazy, seeing as how one character in BlazBlue probably has more frames of animation than probably the majority of sprites in the entire Mega Man and Mega Man X series combined, and they probably have greater resources to work with than ASW does when putting out a new 2d fighter.

Let's not even mention Capcom's laziness when it comes to Monster Hunter, cause heaven forbid they make a MH game that has higher graphics than PS2-quality.

Since we're on the dream-side of things, I still want Capcom to remake all the X games similar to what they did with MHX. If they fixed up all the problems any of the games had you could have eight awesome games.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega Man is just not as 'cool' anymore among today's gamers. The original series has managed to get by on novelty alone with 9 and 10, but the X and Zero series are finished/dead, Legends is part of a small but devoted fanbase, the ZX games failed to keep the interest of many gamers for a number of good reasons.

I'd like to believe a super badass HD sprite Mega Man or X series title would fix things, but it's more likely that it wouldn't.

If we're bringing up our dream games, I want an X series game where it plays out like a (much) faster paced Monster Hunter, with four players working together to take down mavericks or giant machines that are absurdly tough to take down solo.

BlazBlue took years to make. I was thinking a HD remake \ compilation would include way more frames for more fluid motion. Although I suppose you could go the Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix route and have all the same exact frames of animation simply redrawn. In the case of HDR though, that wasn't just a cost cutting thing, in fighting games animation frames are hugely important as changing them would affect the timing of links, startup, recovery, active frames and hitboxes... so in other words, it would be a different game. Of course they then rebalanced the whole game so it was a different game than Super Turbo anyway... but let's not go there. Mega Man doesn't do combos and his hitboxes only change when he slides, so you could add as many frames of animation as you'd like.

A Monster Hunter X game would be pretty cool. For the X games though, I'd wish for a game that retcons X5-X8 out of existence and finishes the series right. Heck, I wouldn't mind the same kinda compilation deal I mentioned for the X games, either. It would be cool to mix and match different armor parts from the different games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I noticed that Mega Man Online is getting little to no attention. It looks like it plays like an X Game but with a shitload of numbers jumping at you in standard MMO-fashion.

Maybe it's because it's not going to be available in the states, but officially it looks to be the only thing related to the X series.

Unofficially though, Corrupted is the only hope.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Who cares about the story anyway. I don't think we really need stuff in-between Classic and X, X and Zero etc. because it'd be inevitably retarded as hell because X's story has gotten retarded as hell. The Zero series did the exact right thing and said "yeah, Sigma finally died. THEN there was another war which destroyed everything AGAIN, and NOW we're on a clean slate except Zero and X still exist...but Zero has amnesia".

That way, they could get away with having to incorporate as few plot points from X6 as possible, which is a very good thing. A few simply unchangeable things that even carry over to ZX, like the space colony's crash, stilly set X6's definition of what was the "real ending" of X5 ins stone, but I'm cool with that. Zero has by no means a deep or engaging storyline, but it's thankfully devoid of ever-more-desparate tries to explain what the hell is up with Zero's past or what Sigma REALLY is and stuff like that.

Sadly, ZX and especially ZXA have a plot that's completely bananas again, but at least those too had the decency to set themselves so far in the future that all of the retarded poo poo that happens is homebrew and not X6 loving up things for decades after its release AGAIN.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I spent the last few days reading through this thread, and I wish I'd done so earlier. I do love Mega Man, after all. Now I'm just going to toss out some random bullet point opinions on the thread and the Mega Man franchise as a whole.

• The Mega Man X snes games are completely amazing, even X3. X3 has a few flaws, the major one being the ridiculously long "invulnerable times" the bosses got, but it's still great. I hated the PSX transition from day 1. X4 might be ok to play, mostly because the level designs aren't awful, but the horrible anime plot and lovely voice clips are major strikes against it.

• X5's plot is even worse and its idiocy ruins other things in the game that should be cool, like Dynamo. A cool mercenary who's not a virus-maverick working for the bad guys? Awesome! Oh the bad guys want to DESTROY THE ENTIRE WORLD, eh? That kind of makes his moral ambiguity pointless doesn't it? Not to mention the awful overwrought drama that managed to make the battle between X and Zero just feel stupid. And what's this about the virus making Zero stronger? Huh?

• Beyond that, the playstation X games just... look bad. The sprites are more detailed, sure, but in a bad way. The feet are loving gigantic for no real reason, they went totally overboard with the lighting effects, the animation looks generally "off", and the Mavericks and levels don't really look anything like Mega Man characters, and it's entirely due to the in-game art, not the designs.

• I really didn't like how they messed with the classic games' armor-upgrade system, switching between armors while trying to guess which on you need for each stage is stupid, having no-armor X be completely useless is crappy and unfun, and the armors were generally overdesigned and unpleasant-looking, especially ninja X. Plus I liked being able to use a part as soon as I got it, instead of waiting to assemble the complete sets. I really hated how they gave everyone air-dashes from the get-go in the later games, too.

• I also hate how zero plays in those games. Say what you will about how useless he was in X3, they made his saber seem special in it, and in X2. He used his busters primarily and they were dang good, but when he got the saber out he did REAL damage, it was super powerful. Making it his default weapon kind of ruins what he's about, and necessitated making its damage much more mundane and forgettable. The Zero games struck a good balance since it's actually feasible to rely on the buster in them.

• Mega Man 8 is the worst game in the original series, mostly because it keeps trying to replace the classic Mega Man gameplay with gimmicky bullshit. But I also levy the same charge as the playstation X games to it regarding the art. It's bad in a different way, but it's still bad. Everyone moves in an exaggerated floppy way, which is totally wrong for a game about robots, and the platforms and enemies just chew up the scenery too much by being overdetailed and faux-3D. The voice acting, weird boss order gimmick, stupid soccer ball weapon and embarrassing plot really don't help.

• I'm slightly more tolerant of Mega Man and Bass. While it's got some really wonky level design and has the same floppity art style, they're still Mega Man stages and not space shooters or whatever, Bass' gameplay is interesting and most of the bosses have the decency to shut the hell up. Plot's bad but not mind-bendingly bad like 8 or the playstation X games. Plus those CDs are cool.

• Mega Man 9 and 10 are great games. While I felt 9 was a bit on the cheap side with the instant death gimmicks and not allowing you to shop between wily levels, I think they're both equally awesome games on the whole. I think the only reason 10 gets flack is because it wasn't such a breath of fresh air after a loooooong period without a good Mega Man game.

• My only issue with both of them is that the design philosophy is based too heavily on aping Mega Man 2. Obviously removing the slide and charge are part of this, and while I could take the charge being removed, I do feel it's become as key to Mega Man's gameplay as getting boss weapons by this point. Removing the slide is just bullshit though. And yeah, you can play as Proto Man to get them, but he takes extra damage and can only shoot 2 pellets and drat it, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get Mega Man to play like Mega Man.

• More important though, is MM2's influence on the art direction. The games certainly look good, but they purposely limited the design to be composed of repeating patterns of blocks with contrasting colors and such like Mega Man 2. The later NES Mega Man games have incredible backgrounds with really good use of the NES' limited color palette. Inafune purposely discouraged the artists from doing fancier things that still fit the NES style constraints because he wanted maximum nostalgia appeal to Mega Man 2, which kind of sucks no matter how you look at it. If we get a Mega Man 11 without Inafune, we might see a visual progression in that department.

• Speaking of Inafune, I feel he's a brilliant game designer but an absolutely horrible writer. All the awful plots I mentioned from X4, X5 and MM8 are his idea. The Zero games do a better job of being story-heavy without hurting your brain, but still have more drama than necessary, and some heinously written characters (Elpizo, Ciel). Plus it seems almost every good story idea in those games was plan B, meaning if he'd gotten his way we'd have gotten a game where X is genuinely evil (bullshit) and other stupid crap.

• Speaking of lovely writing (again), Mega Man Zero 4's writing is an abomination, and it's part of why it's my least favorite game in the Zero series. The first 3 games create a really good arc, with everything coming to a head at the end of 3, but with enough loose ends to leave the door open for a sequel. Then 4 cocks everything up. The entire plot is that Weil and his robots want to destroy nature. Compared to the relatively complex stuff in the first 3 games, that's horrendous. It's the standard JRPG plot of the big mean evil empire with high tech destroying the peaceful nature loving rebels. Even worse, the plot is basically a retread/homage of Mega Man X5, whose plot was legendarily bad, so it's lovely and reminds us of another lovely thing. X's generals apparently died at the end of 3 so they're not even in this game despite having some interesting character growth and being more interesting than any of the characters 4 introduces. Then Zero dies at the end and I guess the series ends there? Ugh.

• ZX's plot and setting are the very worst in the entire Mega Man franchise, even worse than the awful bullshit of Command Mission. It really makes it hard for me to get into the gameplay. Everyone's a Mega Man! Anime drama! No relatable characters! Arghlebargle. Again, this is Inafune's "vision". As much as I respect him as a creator, I can't be too sad he's not involved in Mega Man any more. Of course there's still a good chance whoever makes the next Mega Man games will be an even worse writer, if X6, X7, X8 and Command Mission are any indication...

• Maverick Hunter X is stupid and anime and has dumb graphics and crappy music and rewrites the plot of the first game and the general setting of the X games in the worst possible ways. Ignoring the whole nature of the "virus" thing? Suffering circuit? W-T-F. It missteps just about everywhere a remake could without loving up the gameplay completely.

• I don't understand why the X games tried to redefine Maverick Status as a social thing starting with X4. It's not like people don't know there's a virus, and everyone who's accused of possibly being maverick but isn't infected by the virus reacts by going "Oh yeah????" and declaring war on humanity and slaughtering innocents, so any possible debate about the term feels completely retarded and forced. The Zero games get it right, but that doesn't retroactively save the writing of the later X games.

• Command Mission is a Bad Game with only a few good gameplay elements going for it, and a fuckton of unfun JRPG grindfest bullshit, bad designs and lovely story weighing it down. If you like it you are Wrong.

• Mega Man 4-6 are fine games. They've got some flaws, don't really innovate and the Robot Master designs get pretty silly but they're still great, and shouldn't be despised as much as they are. I don't understand hating on the charge since it's a totally optional thing that just adds different possible strategies to the game. Either you shoot like a gatling or you shoot bigger and stronger attacks far less often. And I prefer when getting hit doesn't reset the charge because that makes it basically impossible to use in some situations and just feels like a kneejerk reaction to people who thought the charge made the game "too easy", which isn't even true.

• MM7 is fine too. Yeah the game feels slower and more cramped due to the bigger sprites, and splitting up the robot masters into groups of 4 was lame, but neither is a deal-breaker, and you can use a password to bypass the latter. It plays fun, introduces Bass, has some cool Robot Masters. The shop was great, and I love the use of Beat as a "save you from holes" thing instead of an attack widget, and the super adapter is the bomb. The 8-bit demake is great and plays better/faster, but I wish they'd kept the shop and proper Beat, so it could be perfect.
  • I may be alone in this, but I really don't give a gently caress about the Legends games. The platforming and fighting is clumsy and uninspired, not nearly as fun as classic 2D gameplay, it's got that early 3D feel of everything being too far away for no reason and super blocky, and the plot and characters are pretty forgettable. For every Bonne family member there's a thousand really poorly voiced and boring NPC, and that stupid last boss who's basically an early 90s anime. I mean I don't hate the games but I really don't get how people are so attached to them.

• MMBN is a fine series for what it is, but the more JRPG/gotta catch 'em all elements tend to keep me from getting really into it. Star Force is poop from a butt though.

• Mega Man Powered up looks fun, I wish I could get a copy. The cutesy art style may have gotten complaints but I could dig it. I hate the new Robot Masters though, especially Oil Man. Any game that lets me play as Guts Man gets automatic props.

• Mega Man Universe had a hideous art direction (not just the characters: the enemies and stages looked awful, and everyone's movements seemed awkward and slouchy and generally hideous) and seemed to be yet another game that acts like Mega Man 2 is the only good game in the series, so I'm not TOO broken up about it getting canceled, even though it had a lot of fun ideas going for it.

Sorry about all the :words:. I think that's all I had to add... Oh wait, one last thing. You know how people were disappointed at Bass' sprite in MM10, saying he just looked like they took Mega Man's sprite and added fins? Well, I was messing around with sprites the other day and I realized it was truer than I thought.

Sheesh. Even by Capcom standards that's terrible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You take that back, Starforce 3 is fantastic.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lurdiak posted:

I really didn't like how they messed with the classic games' armor-upgrade system, switching between armors while trying to guess which on you need for each stage is stupid, having no-armor X be completely useless is crappy and unfun, and the armors were generally overdesigned and unpleasant-looking, especially ninja X.

Ninja X was awesome, you shut up. :jihad:

I will agree that I hated that too, having to get all four pieces before I could use the armor. At least in X5 it wasn't too bad cause I could still you the Force Armor from X4, but in X6 I had to do it with the now-useless Falcon Armor.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think the plot to X4 is all that terrible :blush:. Sure, the execution of said plot is what it is, but the story it tries to tell has some interesting ideas. I also think that if X5 had been allowed to be the last X game, that still would have been a good lead up into the Zero games. At the same time, we wouldn't have gotten X8, and I actually really like that game.

Yup, it's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat that actually really likes the 'plot' to the X/Zero games.

If anything, X4 hints at some interesting developments among reploids. These reploids chose to go Maverick. They weren't infected by a virus or anything. They were only given an offer, weighed their options and accepted it. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the X series is at least partly inspired by Blade Runner (Reploids/Replicants, and the idea that they have limited lives or limited choices to make in life, and if they get out of line even slightly their fate is government mandated execution on the spot).

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to have 'good' writing when at the end of the day Mega Man is basically a playable kids show done by the numbers. But the background to the series is pretty interesting if you let your imagination run with it a little bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's the problem, though. Starting with X4 they leave less and less to the imagination, and tell you everything in awful detail. The problem is twofold: one, their fleshed out story is not going to be as good as the implied story we'd get from vague hinting, just like an offscreen monster is less scary once you actually see it, because nothing can top your imagination. Two, the Megaman X story is pretty shaky all around, and the zombie makeup rule applies here: the more you have to look at it, the worse it looks. So by making us look at the story and character development dead on for cutscene after cutscene, the flaws in the storytelling become more and more glaring, because we have time to analyze it, in detail. This is also why modern JRPG tend to feel like they have much worse stories than older ones: they tell you too much of it, for too long, and with nothing to distract you from the story. This means all of it becomes harder and harder to take seriously unless it's a really fantastic story, which almost never happens in video game writing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lurdiak posted:

X4

I remember I played it at a friends house when i was a kid in 98', owning only the first game, puzzled why zero was even alive and poo poo, and i was floored by the fact that there were actual anime cutscenes.

After remembering the X series and wanting X4 so bad, i decide to give it a try a year ago. Holy poo poo, It was the worst set of game cutscenes i've ever seen.

Look on the bright side, X4's cutscenes can be skipped completely. X5 on the other hand (despite not being voiced) you can't fully skip any of the bullshit you encounter. In my eyes X4's replay value is high up there in comparison to 5.

If you take a look the storyline, you think there an infinite amount of ways that it could have been better, or better explained, but it's just ignored and left to interpretation. Much like the jump from original to X. I don't think they will ever explain that poo poo.

If anything, X4 hints at some interesting developments among reploids. These reploids chose to go Maverick. They weren't infected by a virus or anything. They were only given an offer, weighed their options and accepted it. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the X series is at least partly inspired by Blade Runner (Reploids/Replicants, and the idea that they have limited lives or limited choices to make in life, and if they get out of line even slightly their fate is government mandated execution on the spot).

It does, but it's just presented in one of the worst ways i've ever seen.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 22, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I didn't like it much as a kid but going back to it now, X2 is definitely the high point of that series (though X3 is close as well as my favorite).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

C-Euro posted:

I didn't like it much as a kid but going back to it now, X2 is definitely the high point of that series (though X3 is close as well as my favorite).

X3 is a close second favorite in my book. I still remember feeling like a total badass fighting Blast Hornet as naked X and winning. Good times...

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
X4 is currently my favorite (pretty much for the bosses, I hate X's voice though), followed by either X or X5. I haven't really spent much time with X3 or X6 yet, and I never played the PS2 games.

X5's final levels really pissed me off though. In the first level I think, they used two Mega Man obstacles I'm really terrible at: Quick Man lasers and the Yellow Devil. I'm just bad at avoiding the lasers and I could never beat the Yellow Devil in MM1. I remember when I first got to that level, I spent 40 minutes or so just trying to get past the lasers. When I finally got past them, I met a boss I could never beat before. :(

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 22, 2011

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I actually did enjoy playing through X6 last time. It's not as good as 4 or 5, but it has a different soundtrack approach that I really liked.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Purple D. Link posted:

X4 is currently my favorite (pretty much for the bosses, I hate X's voice though), followed by either X or X5. I haven't really spent much time with X3 or X6 yet, and I never played the PS2 games.

X5's final levels really pissed me off though. In the first level I think, they used two Mega Man obstacles I'm really terrible at: Quick Man lasers and the Yellow Devil. I'm just bad at avoiding the lasers and I could never beat the Yellow Devil in MM1. I remember when I first got to that level, I spent 40 minutes or so just trying to get past the lasers. When I finally got past them, I met a boss I could never beat before. :(
YES. gently caress that level. gently caress it to hell and back again. This, right there, is the worst piece of poo poo level ever designed in a Mega Man game. ALL of it is consisting of two of the worst recurring "nostalgic" setpieces that 99% of people hate, cranked up in annoyance to 11.

X6 has even more egregious examples of simply bad design, like all of Blaze Heatnix', but that you can at least BREAK. There's no way to cheese the Black Devil I know of, and for the lasers, one charge of Dizzy's weapon isn't enough to last you anywhere near the whole way through. It's terribly, terribly unfun to play through, hate every second, and the following stages aren't even worth it.

And yeah, X6 has a tremendous soundtrack. Like with MM6, it's the best thing about the game. I still like playing it every once in a while because it feels good beating stages at Xtreme mode unarmored. Some of them actually pose a legit challenge instead of being all bullshit all the time, and I love every second. Like Gate's second stage, the first part. Beautiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

Welp.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I can't imagine Capcom making a net gain in profit off of a decision like that, even if it would lose money. If there's a fanbase that doesn't actually need your new games to enjoy it, it's Megaman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Niton posted:

I can't imagine Capcom making a net gain in profit off of a decision like that, even if it would lose money. If there's a fanbase that doesn't actually need your new games to enjoy it, it's Megaman.

I strongly suspect Capcom just doesn't believe Mega Man makes money anymore and nobody in the company is really pushing for it.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Dead to me. Forever dead.

Thanks for kicking me in the balls for 11 years, Capcom. Thanks for loving everything.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I wish they didn't even tease a Legends 3 if this is the outcome.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

...what. What in the gently caress. What in the loving gently caress?!

God loving drat it, Capcom? Why do you hurt us fans? What is your problem? Jesus Christ.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well, it's not like anyone didn't see this coming.

gently caress off, Capcom.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Capcom makes it so hard to like them.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I just wonder how Inafune feels about this. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

He's too busy cameoing in Hyperdimension Neptunia 2.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
At least this means they will get back to making proper 2d platforming mega men, right?

Right?

franchise is dead forever, isn't it?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Drox posted:

At least this means they will get back to making proper 2d platforming mega men, right?

Right?

franchise is dead forever, isn't it?

You don't get to act as if this is a good thing. 11 loving YEARS. I've been waiting since I was a small, idiotic boychild for this to come out.

loving Capcom. Who wants to start a riot and burn down Capcom USA?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember when we were at the beginning of the generation and Capcom was held as an example of one of the 3rd parties that had their poo poo together.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Magil of Shadow posted:

I'm in.

Seriously, I'm expecting people to be posting pictures of people with torches and pitchforks in front of Capcom HQ by the end of the day tomorrow. I don't know why this would be anywhere near a good PR decision.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Magil of Shadow posted:

You don't get to act as if this is a good thing. 11 loving YEARS. I've been waiting since I was a small, idiotic boychild for this to come out.

It's not a good thing. They canceled a 2d platformer mega man earlier this year. If they're canceling Legends also, that means they are probably shutting down the mega men entirely.

I'm going to go cry, drink, and play the Anniversary Collection.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I haven't played the other Legends games and wasn't really excited for this, but that still felt like a kick in the balls. I honestly feel bad for everyone who was looking forward to this.

Plus, yeah, with this and Universe cancelled I'm starting to worry a bit for this series.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I bought a 3DS for this game :(

Well at least Capcom has more room in the budget for Resident Evil spinoffs and new Street Fighters.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Decisions like this are probably why he bailed.

I mean Resident Evil and Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter are allright I guess but I'm not really into them all that much. They're fun, but I can live without them. But when someone says "Capcom", I don't think Monster Hunter, it's Mega Man and Street Fighter that immediately pop into my head. And it's probably like that for most everyone.

Well, at least I get SFIV, SF X Tekken and MvC3 after what was a 10 year hiatus. It seems Capcom will only do one of their trademark franchises at a time.

And if they can MML3, anybody who ever wanted a new Darkstalkers or Breath of Fire... just don't bother hoping. Buy games from somebody else.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just give me Megaman X in Super MvC3 Capcom! I never cared about Legends! Just give me X and i'll still like you! :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Welp, gently caress. Between this and Resident Evil Mercenaries' permasave bullshit, that's it. No more Capcom games bought by me, ever.

God drat it Capcom, why even bother with the campaign if you're not going to release it? gently caress you in your corporate assholes.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Overbite posted:

I bought a 3DS for this game :(

This announcement probably means Capcom was hit harder by the recession than we thought.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, what're the odds that Capcom never intended to make MML3 in the first place, and just set this all up as a big way to draw attention to themselves? I wouldn't put it past them at this point.