Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

TremendousMajestic posted:

I recently reconnected with an old friend who adamantly refuses to use a "shallow social network" like Facebook to maintain her friendships. She emailed a bunch of pics of her daughter and caught me up on a few things in an email and reading it felt like 2002. Now she sends me a different funny picture every few days that she also posts to her Tumblr, so I guess that's how you develop REAL relationships in this day and age. What a fool I've been with this Facebook!

Sort of the same thing but different- this past christmas/new years I had 2 friends who wrote long emails summarizing what happened to them over the past year and how they generally felt about their lives, and bulk emailed their friends and families. While it was like 2002 or 1998 or whatever, it was actually really, really nice to get a more in depth perspective into friends I can't normally easily keep in touch with. Reminded me of the semi-annual snailmail correspondence my parents used to have with distant relatives and friends in other countries.

Pweller fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
In all fairness, I can see how finding your inbox clogged with BMPs (she scans her pics, doesn't she..?) on a regular basis can be annoying. It's the same with all comms media, I think. Used in the 'correct' way they're all okay, but endless phonecalls from hell, 30-page faxes, nnMb TIFFs via e-mail, etc. all have great rage induction potential. I hate to pick up the phone for fear of one of those 1hr chit-chats just because someone's bored out of their skull. Hail Ye, Answerphone.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I check and usually send personal email every day I work (no internet at home). I also check facebook every couple days, but I prefer email, really.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Xandu posted:

This doesn't seem worth its own thread. How many of you guys send personal emails anymore? Other than for work/school and occasionally to my parents, I've pretty much stopped using it.

I use email to communicate with most of my local friends and family. Several of my friends & family don't text and a couple don't even have facebook. Among my friends we use google chat for one-on-one conversation & planning, but if more people are involved, we send emails. Facebook for me is mostly for casual voyeurism and insignificant banter.

I even exchange paper letters with my great aunt :ssh: She says I'm the only person who writes to her still, though, besides my grandmother. She usually uses email or GASP! the phone.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Xandu posted:

This doesn't seem worth its own thread. How many of you guys send personal emails anymore? Other than for work/school and occasionally to my parents, I've pretty much stopped using it.
When we want the whole family to read something, we use e-mail. Future family get-togethers.
Also useful for making sure the whole family knows you believe Obama hates freedom. I have a whole category for conservative chain-mail spam intentionally forwarded to me. I sometimes read them for a laugh and look up their inaccuracies, but there's no point in presenting my corrections anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My landlord is selling the building that I am living in soon. This has never happened to me before, what should I expect? Does the new landlord have any legal responsibilities to notify pre-existing tenants of anything? Is there anything keeping him from changing the rent suddenly or anything like that? I don't have a lease with the current landlord anymore, it is just month to month, can the new landlord impose a new lease on me?

edit: well I say "soon", but really it could be months away, with how slow things run around here.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 19, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there a site that connects random people around the world who want to be pen pals? I thought it would be a neat idea, but it's surely already been done and somewhat known around the internet.

I googled "pen pals" and there are a bunch of sites. Any idea which is the best?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Dudebro posted:

Is there a site that connects random people around the world who want to be pen pals? I thought it would be a neat idea, but it's surely already been done and somewhat known around the internet.

I googled "pen pals" and there are a bunch of sites. Any idea which is the best?

I think there is or was a goon snail mail thread in GBS if you're interested in going that route.

e: or you could look into something like this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3339995

Pweller fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 19, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is a photo of a Shabbat candle that burned not straight down, but only half of it burned down with the wick still intact in the other half! What is a plausible explanation for this?

No wind was in effect and the candle was an ordinary type used many times with no peculiarities.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
What's that black thing at the bottom? Maybe that caught on fire and acted as a wick?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I've got some chef jackets with my name, former employer and former job title embroidered on them. I'd like to be able to use the jackets again since they're pretty high quality.
Is removing the embroidery something I can tackle myself with a knife or scissors, or should I take it to a professional? I'm not expecting them to look like new afterward, but will they look really torn up? Most of it is just lettering, but there is a thumbnail sized logo on there as well.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
A long time ago I read a short story that was just a rip off of the Masque of the Red Death set in modern america, where it's a winter or halloween party a bunch of teenagers went to and they died from some kind of poison gas. In the end they found cloven hoof footprints in the snow. Does anyone remember reading this?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Schweinhund posted:

What's that black thing at the bottom? Maybe that caught on fire and acted as a wick?

The other wick, it's a Havdalah double wick candle. The other wick kept burning at the top with a small flame but didn't melt the wax down.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Question from a friend:

quote:

If catacombs are the hidden places below, generally distasteful, unseen, labyrinthine, what do you call their above-ground counterparts? If you have catacombs in the basement, what do you have in the attic? There is a word for this. I can't think of it. Help me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Atticombs?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

haveblue posted:

Atticombs?

My jokey answer was dogacombs but maybe there is some word for this.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Golbez's friend posted:

If catacombs are the hidden places below, generally distasteful, unseen, labyrinthine, what do you call their above-ground counterparts? If you have catacombs in the basement, what do you have in the attic? There is a word for this. I can't think of it. Help me.

Crypts.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Crypts.

"Crypt" still implies it's subterranean:

quote:

1. An underground vault, especially one beneath a church that is used as a burial place.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rockzilla posted:

I've got some chef jackets with my name, former employer and former job title embroidered on them. I'd like to be able to use the jackets again since they're pretty high quality.
Is removing the embroidery something I can tackle myself with a knife or scissors, or should I take it to a professional? I'm not expecting them to look like new afterward, but will they look really torn up? Most of it is just lettering, but there is a thumbnail sized logo on there as well.

If the thread is not really thin, you should be able to slowly pick it all out with an exacto knife. See if there's some cloth backing on the inside. That will help guard your nicks against cutting the actual cloth.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

A Violence Gang posted:

"Crypt" still implies it's subterranean:

Hmm, I've always heard it used as being synonymous with mausoleum.

vv You're the second person I've sniped in the last ten minutes or so. vv

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 19, 2011

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rockzilla posted:

The hand tool for this is simply called a stitch remover. Any sharp object you can keep a flat dull side to the fabric while cutting stitches will work in conjunction with a pair of tweezers. There may still be small stitching holes in the fabric depending how fine it is, but if there are you can't avoid it. Might as well try to make the chef coat useful for yourself again.

Golbez posted:

Question from a friend:

quote:

Mausoleum?

tarepanda:arghfist::(

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 19, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Rockzilla posted:

Go to JoAnn's, Michael's, or the sewing section of Wal-Mart even, and get a cheap seam ripper. That, in conjunction with a pair of tweezers, should be all you need. If you're careful and delicate with it, you should only have some little tiny holes left over, and many of those will go away with a good washing. If you don't feel up to being super careful with it, take it in to a seamstress.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Rockzilla posted:

I seem to remember my mom having a seam ripper or something to that effect that was designed for removing stitches from clothing, you might try one of those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a lovely wall A/C unit in my bedroom. Recently it stopped getting cold for the most part, but if I leave it on all night it's usually blasting ice cold air in the morning. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Also, if the compressor isn't working is it going to effect my electric bill any more than if I was just using the fan on it.

Volkeren
Oct 25, 2007

Laws are for people who don't breed killer monsters for a living.
(Original post removed)

Edit: I thought about posting there, but thanks for pointing me in that direction, Kimbo. Post moved.

Volkeren fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Volkeren posted:

I think this is the right place to ask, but my apologies if this isn't the right thread. Legal/police question ahead:

So what I'm asking is, what exactly happens when the police arrive and don't end up doing anything? I assume they file a report (they've taken my name before), but does this show up during any kind of criminal history or background check? Is there maybe a point when after having been called to a residence so many times that they have to take some more severe course of action? Would anyone be able to inform me of some possible repercussions if this whole dramatic issue continues?

There's this thread if you want more help:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

My landlord is selling the building that I am living in soon. This has never happened to me before, what should I expect? Does the new landlord have any legal responsibilities to notify pre-existing tenants of anything? Is there anything keeping him from changing the rent suddenly or anything like that? I don't have a lease with the current landlord anymore, it is just month to month, can the new landlord impose a new lease on me?

edit: well I say "soon", but really it could be months away, with how slow things run around here.

It depends on where you live as state, county and city laws will determine what the new owner can and can't do.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really you should be notified a month ahead of eviction (or any change to your terms and conditions including rent) at the very latest, but it depends on your contract. Find your contract and see how much notice you and your landlord must give each other.

If you never had a contract, then you have no insurance unless your country affords you statutory rights. I'd ask a citizen's advice place what rights you have. I can imaging being month to month though, you would still be entitled to a month's notice.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
What does this mean?

!=

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

isoprenaline posted:

What does this mean?

!=

'Is not', or 'does not equal'.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Inside the human body, is there any air in between the organs or is it a vacuum?

If there's no air, does air get introduced when you get cut open for surgery? How do they get it out again or does it not matter?

If there IS air, how does it get in there in the first place? Is it always the same air? Is there any way for the body to get rid of it?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Who is Clemen and why do their accounts always get banned?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Question about a wedding gift.

I've never had to buy one before, and my best friend is getting married soon. And by soon I mean she's getting married tomorrow. Oops.

They're pretty broke, so I think money would be helpful but I also feel that's sort of an easy "out".

I was thinking of maybe giving them some money and then a small gift so they could have something tangible, but I have no clue what to get them.

Any ideas? They are both female if it matters.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Something useful. Don't they have a wedding registry?

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

elbow posted:

'Is not', or 'does not equal'.

Is a programing or a mathematics term?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Something useful. Don't they have a wedding registry?

No it's a small ceremony at a courthouse in DC because they can't legally get married at home. It's just a few people, nothing big so they didn't bother setting anything up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marshmallard posted:

Inside the human body, is there any air in between the organs or is it a vacuum?

The space between organs is filled with fluid, generally.

quote:

If there's no air, does air get introduced when you get cut open for surgery? How do they get it out again or does it not matter?

It does, but having a little air inside you won't kill you (unless it's inside a blood vessel, then it will). They can leave a little air inside and it will be absorbed over time.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

isoprenaline posted:

Is a programing or a mathematics term?

Yes

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

No it's a small ceremony at a courthouse in DC because they can't legally get married at home. It's just a few people, nothing big so they didn't bother setting anything up.

A gift card to someplace useful and some other kind of gift, like a movie or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

marshmallard posted:

If there IS air, how does it get in there in the first place? Is it always the same air? Is there any way for the body to get rid of it?

What happens when there's excess air in the body?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10728095

"He told Campbell Live the process of removing the gas took about three days and involved "burping, farting and things you are not meant to be doing while people are around"."

I guess it is absorbed into the tissues and expelled the way excess air and gas tends to be expelled.