Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Lixer posted:

As long as it is in and not bugging you or falling out, it's fine. There's no real place that it is supposed to be so you can just let it settle in anywhere.

Oh thank heavens. I was really worried that I wasn't putting it in right, or I wasn't going to be protected enough. That makes me feel a ton better. Thank you :)

e: Also my acne has cleared up!!!! I love nuvaring :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Awhile ago I started taking LoSeasonique to control horrible cramps/bad PMS symptoms and it's worked surprisingly well so far. I've been trying out birth controls for awhile now and I'm really, really happy with this one because it hasn't made me severely depressed like every other hormonal BC I've tried - it actually fixes my PMS issues instead of making them worse.

The only problem is since I've been on it I've had a yeast infection/vaginal pain (apparently I also had bacterial vaginosis at the same time as the yeast infection) that doesn't seem to want to go away. I have to call my doctor tomorrow to make another appointment, and I'm tired of it. I'm already prone to UTIs and the cream I've been using for the yeast infection is so irritating. I'm not prone to yeast infections at all (I didn't even know I had one until my boyfriend and I tried to have sex and it hurt like hell. Now I have pain all the time) and I've never had BV in my life, so I'm kind of blown away by how ridiculously hosed up my lady parts are right now.

I guess my question is if stubborn yeast infections are caused by/exacerbated by birth control and if there's any chance this poo poo will stop in the future? I was wondering if maybe my constant switching of BC was what caused this, but even after having been on the same one for over a month the problem seems to be getting worse rather than better. I don't want to go back to the hell that is trying out different BCs/not being on any, but my current situation isn't much better.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Not Your Senorita posted:

Awhile ago I started taking LoSeasonique to control horrible cramps/bad PMS symptoms and it's worked surprisingly well so far. I've been trying out birth controls for awhile now and I'm really, really happy with this one because it hasn't made me severely depressed like every other hormonal BC I've tried - it actually fixes my PMS issues instead of making them worse.

The only problem is since I've been on it I've had a yeast infection/vaginal pain (apparently I also had bacterial vaginosis at the same time as the yeast infection) that doesn't seem to want to go away. I have to call my doctor tomorrow to make another appointment, and I'm tired of it. I'm already prone to UTIs and the cream I've been using for the yeast infection is so irritating. I'm not prone to yeast infections at all (I didn't even know I had one until my boyfriend and I tried to have sex and it hurt like hell. Now I have pain all the time) and I've never had BV in my life, so I'm kind of blown away by how ridiculously hosed up my lady parts are right now.

I guess my question is if stubborn yeast infections are caused by/exacerbated by birth control and if there's any chance this poo poo will stop in the future? I was wondering if maybe my constant switching of BC was what caused this, but even after having been on the same one for over a month the problem seems to be getting worse rather than better. I don't want to go back to the hell that is trying out different BCs/not being on any, but my current situation isn't much better.

How long have you had the yeast infection symptoms? When did it start relative to when you started the LoSeasonique? What have you been using to treat it and for how long?

Not knowing anything about you other than what's in your post, switching birth control could be exacerbating it... or it could be an absolute coincidence. More than 3 in 4 women experience yeast infections at some point in their life, so this may just be you experiencing yours. As far as the bacterial vaginosis, many women have asymptomatic BV that never gets noticed and doesn't require treatment.

I recommend you (1) try sticking to the same birth control for the rest of this cycle (a full 3 months), and (2) see your doctor about the yeast infection and try the treatment that he/she recommends for it (likely a single oral fluconazole tablet).

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Nap Ghost

DRP Solved! posted:

How long have you had the yeast infection symptoms? When did it start relative to when you started the LoSeasonique? What have you been using to treat it and for how long?

Not knowing anything about you other than what's in your post, switching birth control could be exacerbating it... or it could be an absolute coincidence. More than 3 in 4 women experience yeast infections at some point in their life, so this may just be you experiencing yours. As far as the bacterial vaginosis, many women have asymptomatic BV that never gets noticed and doesn't require treatment.

I recommend you (1) try sticking to the same birth control for the rest of this cycle (a full 3 months), and (2) see your doctor about the yeast infection and try the treatment that he/she recommends for it (likely a single oral fluconazole tablet).

I've had the symptoms for maybe 2-3 weeks (I started the LoSeasonique a little over a month ago). I tried Monistat which didn't work, then went to my doctor and she prescribed a 7 day dose of Terconazole cream (and 2 days worth of metronidazole for the BV) which I finished a few days ago. It doesn't seem to have done anything other than really irritate my lady parts because I'm still having symptoms. I am going to call tomorrow to ask if she can prescribe something else, preferably in pill form. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post! And yes, I am planning on staying on the birth control.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

I've had the symptoms for maybe 2-3 weeks (I started the LoSeasonique a little over a month ago). I tried Monistat which didn't work, then went to my doctor and she prescribed a 7 day dose of Terconazole cream (and 2 days worth of metronidazole for the BV) which I finished a few days ago. It doesn't seem to have done anything other than really irritate my lady parts because I'm still having symptoms. I am going to call tomorrow to ask if she can prescribe something else, preferably in pill form. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post! And yes, I am planning on staying on the birth control.

Excellent, it sounds like you already had the right plan in mind! Are you experiencing any symptoms other than vaginal pain (as if those symptoms weren't unpleasant enough already), such as vaginal discharge, unusual odor, or itching?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Just sharing some birth control love. I'm leaving in my ring a 4th week this month around because it's just better for scheduling and my :h:personal life:h:. I love you Nuvaring. :allears:

I'm glad it's working out well for you so far too, Lanthanum.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

My girlfriend and I have decided an IUD might be the best route. Now, she works a program where she makes next to no money. A friend of hers in a similar program said she got an IUD installed for next to nothing because of her low income. My girlfriend is wondering if income somehow determines the price, or if insurance might affect how much it costs? (We're totally clueless about navigating the loving healthcare system if you can't tell) She goes back on her mom's insurance in September so she's thinking it might be best to do it before that happens. How do clinics generally process or determine the pricing plans for an IUD procedure? The Planned Parenthood said it depends on the clinic. As my girlfriend moves around a lot it's hard to do specifics, so some general wisdom would be good enough...

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

global tetrahedron posted:

My girlfriend and I have decided an IUD might be the best route. Now, she works a program where she makes next to no money. A friend of hers in a similar program said she got an IUD installed for next to nothing because of her low income. My girlfriend is wondering if income somehow determines the price, or if insurance might affect how much it costs? (We're totally clueless about navigating the loving healthcare system if you can't tell) She goes back on her mom's insurance in September so she's thinking it might be best to do it before that happens. How do clinics generally process or determine the pricing plans for an IUD procedure? The Planned Parenthood said it depends on the clinic. As my girlfriend moves around a lot it's hard to do specifics, so some general wisdom would be good enough...

If she hasn't got insurance and has really low income, she'll likely get it done cheaper, but that will vary a lot from clinic to clinic. If she can get on her mom's insurance, though, and they'll cover an IUD, then she should absolutely do that. I have insurance & I didn't have to pay for mine at all.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It depends on the state. If she lives in CA (green health card things) or WA (take charge program) she should be set. I'm not sure about anywhere else though.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

It'll either be in Wisconsin or Minnesota, she moves out of WI in August. I'm thinking maybe the best place to go would be near a college campus? They might have more options for people with no income.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
The PP in my area does everything on a sliding scale based on income. Your GF would bring a couple of checkstubs in so they can see how much she makes. They would then decide if she's 100% covered, 80%, 60%, and so on. She'll know before she has the procedure done, obviously, so she can make the best decision financially. Just to let you know, many PPs don't do Mirena, only Paragard. YMMV.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

You might look into this if it is the Mirena she wants: ARCH foundation

She should check whether her mother's insurance will cover IUDs before she bothers waiting for that. A lot of insurance will not cover it, even if other forms of birth control are covered. The insurance I had when I got my first Mirena covered only ~20% of the cost, and the insurance I had for the second one covered the doctor's appointments related to the IUD but nothing for the cost of the IUD itself. Both of them covered pretty much any other form of birth control much more completely.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
I've been on the pill for about five years now, and for about the last three or so years I've been on an extended cycle, because gently caress periods. I was wondering if there are other types of birth control that can just completely get rid of periods. I'm thinking about quitting the pill and switching to something else. I was thinking about switching to Depo but I heard it causes calcium loss.

I'm seeing my doctor Wednesday but I would like to hear others' opinions about other options as well.

Also, no IUDs for me before anyone suggests. It's not pregnancy I'm worried about.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that I tried taking the pill nonstop, and I only ended up spotting for a whole month until I decided to have a period. The best I could do without any problems was the 3-month cycle.

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 18, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

BigGayLogan posted:

I was thinking about switching to Depo but I heard it causes calcium loss.

I would reconsider this concern. My last post in this thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3392060) summarizes what we know about Depo and bone health. In short: Depo hasn't been shown to increase your risk of fracture, and there are actually small studies of post-menopausal women who used Depo for 10 years or more with no negative effect on their bones.

I think Depo is probably your best bet here. Other options include Implanon, the progestin-only pill (which stops periods in about 10% of women), and the Mirena IUD (which you already said you weren't interested in, but is worth listing anyway).

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

I do drink a lot of milk, and I don't mind taking calcium supplements either. It's just that everything I heard about Depo aside from making you fat and depressed (every hormonal bc option medication makes people fat and depressed :j: ) is the calcium loss. Still considering it and will still ask about it Wednesday.

I just want something where I don't have to worry about horrible bleeding and cramps that confine me in bed all day and all the other lovely stuff that comes with periods. You know, short of ripping out my uterus...

And for those of you thinking "why not just keep doing what you're doing and stay on the pill"? Well, I'm just tired of it. I don't want to bleed at all. Even once every three months is too much. Plus it would be nice to be on something more subtle, rather than having to pop a pill at the same time each day and making sure to remember.

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 18, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

BigGayLogan posted:

I do drink a lot of milk, and I don't mind taking calcium supplements either. It's just that everything I heard about Depo aside from making you fat and depressed (every hormonal bc option makes people fat and depressed :j: ) is the calcium loss. Still considering it and will still ask about it Wednesday.

Calcium supplements really aren't necessary if you're eating what even resembles a healthy diet. Like I said, the studies that are available really don't support any long-term risk on bone health (what I assume you mean by calcium loss). The post that I made in the Goon Doctor thread references the best available evidence on the matter; I encourage you to print it off to give to your doctor in order to discuss what's known about Depo and bone health.

quote:

I just want something where I don't have to worry about horrible bleeding and cramps that confine me in bed all day and all the other lovely stuff that comes with periods. You know, short of ripping out my uterus...

As a guy, I can't even begin to understand how unpleasant that is, but I empathize and hope you can find something that helps!

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

DRP Solved! posted:

As a guy, I can't even begin to understand how unpleasant that is, but I empathize and hope you can find something that helps!

Yeah, the pill helped a great amount with the cramping, but it still wasn't perfect. Plus, ew blood.

OP posted:

Depo has been found to cause more weight gain, on average, than any other hormonal method.

Ooh, now I'm really having second thoughts. I was never a skinny girl, but the pill made me gain weight rapidly, it was like overnight. And every time I do try and lose weight it's near impossible to keep it off. I really do not want to take something that will only make me fatter :sigh:

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 19, 2011

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

BigGayLogan posted:

Also, no IUDs for me before anyone suggests. It's not pregnancy I'm worried about.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your objection to the IUD.

The Mirena is probably the easiest and best option you have available to stop periods. In fact one of the things it is approved for (in addition to the obvious one of birth control) is reducing heavy bleeding from periods.

I haven't had a period in nearly 6 years now because of Mirena. And it doesn't have the weight gain issues that Depo does, is administered once every 5 years instead of every 3 months, and is completely reversible (as quickly as you can schedule a doctor's appt) should you decide it's not working for you.

The two big drawbacks are "ick, it hurts getting something put into my uterus", which fades pretty loving quickly and the cost. Other than those it kicks rear end and I doubt I'll ever use another form of birth control/period control.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Nap Ghost

DRP Solved! posted:

Excellent, it sounds like you already had the right plan in mind! Are you experiencing any symptoms other than vaginal pain (as if those symptoms weren't unpleasant enough already), such as vaginal discharge, unusual odor, or itching?

Had the itching, that went away. Still have the pain/discharge. I called my doctor today and she called in a prescription for me. I went to pick it up after work and it's a bunch of fluconazole tablets and a different kind of cream. Hopefully I don't actually NEED all of this stuff, but I'm definitely glad to have it right now.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

I'm not sure I'm understanding your objection to the IUD.

The Mirena is probably the easiest and best option you have available to stop periods. In fact one of the things it is approved for (in addition to the obvious one of birth control) is reducing heavy bleeding from periods.

I haven't had a period in nearly 6 years now because of Mirena. And it doesn't have the weight gain issues that Depo does, is administered once every 5 years instead of every 3 months, and is completely reversible (as quickly as you can schedule a doctor's appt) should you decide it's not working for you.

The two big drawbacks are "ick, it hurts getting something put into my uterus", which fades pretty loving quickly and the cost. Other than those it kicks rear end and I doubt I'll ever use another form of birth control/period control.

If my doctor recommends it, then great, and maybe I will get over the squeamishness of having something crammed up my uterus (and all the pain that comes with it). But I'm very aware that most doctors won't for someone like me. I'm single, childless, and under 30.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BigGayLogan posted:

If my doctor recommends it, then great, and maybe I will get over the squeamishness of having something crammed up my uterus (and all the pain that comes with it). But I'm very aware that most doctors won't for someone like me. I'm single, childless, and under 30.

I'm 23 childless and I have paragard. Good doctors who aren't squeemish about IUDs will insert them. It also is only crampy for about about as long as a period. The pain during insertion wasn't as bad as my worst period cramps.

Don't rule it out.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

You also missed that I'm single. Most doctors only prescribe IUDs if you're married or at least in a very long-term monogamous relationship. I know there's someone out there that doesn't care what my age or relationship status is or whatever, but it's just not worth the search now.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Had the itching, that went away. Still have the pain/discharge. I called my doctor today and she called in a prescription for me. I went to pick it up after work and it's a bunch of fluconazole tablets and a different kind of cream. Hopefully I don't actually NEED all of this stuff, but I'm definitely glad to have it right now.

Keep in mind that, while you're taking the fluconazole, you don't need to use the cream (if it's another antifungal). Antifungal cream is generally used with the fluconazole because it works a little quicker to get rid of the itching and pain.

I'm mentioning this because it sounds like the other antifungal cream's been quite irritating for you, so there's no sense in causing yourself more pain.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

BigGayLogan posted:

You also missed that I'm single. Most doctors only prescribe IUDs if you're married or at least in a very long-term monogamous relationship. I know there's someone out there that doesn't care what my age or relationship status is or whatever, but it's just not worth the search now.

Just lie? I mean really, are they going to know?

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Cracker Jack posted:

Just lie? I mean really, are they going to know?

Nah. And part of my appointment Wednesday is more than just switching birth control. Long story short without going too e/n, I recently ended a 7-year relationship that just snowballed to Hell. I suspect he's cheated on me multiple times, and I just want to make sure everything's ok and there's nothing horrible lurking inside me. I've been seeing this same doctor for as long as I've been on the pill.

So, my doctor needs to know I'm now single. It's really ok if I can't get an IUD.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

BigGayLogan posted:

Ah. Doctor's who will not recommend them for women like you are, to be blunt, very uninformed and behind the times. There is extensive scientific evidence demonstrating that it is perfectly ok to insert IUDs in young, childless women. Even the single thing is no big deal. There is a risk if you *currently* have an infection, but almost no (0.01% or less) increased risk of problems from getting an STD after the first 20 days following IUD insertion.

For the record, my first Mirena was inserted when I was 23 and had never had a child. At that point in time I had to search a bit to find a doctor who would do it without my having had a kid. By the time I wanted it replaced with a new one the health center at my university was doing them quite regularly. My younger sister was even able to get hers for free through her university!

In terms of pain, I won't lie, it sucks to get it inserted. That said, for me it sucked less than a single period worth of cramps. And I've gotten to avoid 6 years worth of period cramps in exchange! There is also some intermittent cramping post-insertion for a few months, usually stimulated by things like having a very full bladder or having sex. These cramps are much less intense and go away with time (usually within ~3-5 months). For me they were enough to register mild discomfort and only rarely (less than 5 times) bad enough to require a half dose of ibuprofen.

I will admit to being somewhat irrationally afraid of Depo though. I had bad enough side effects from the pill that the idea of getting a shot full or hormones that could not be reversed if the side effects sucked was terrifying.

You should also be aware that the opposite effect of what you are looking for, bleeding non-stop, is quite common with both Depo and Implanon, and much less common with Mirena.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?

When I went to PP all I did was write my income on the initial form - they didn't ask for payslips or anything like that for me (but it sounds like it may differ from area to area? - maybe regulations are due to individual state funding.) My insurance won't cover any form of BC, but will cover office visits, tests, etc. I was making about $32k at the time and I paid $240 for the Paragard itself (Mirena is generally more expensive, though - they gave me a quote of a little over three hundred for it.)

edit: 25/unmarried/no pregnancies/I love you Planned Parenthood

lou reed fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 19, 2011

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

Ah. Doctor's who will not recommend them for women like you are, to be blunt, very uninformed and behind the times. There is extensive scientific evidence demonstrating that it is perfectly ok to insert IUDs in young, childless women. Even the single thing is no big deal. There is a risk if you *currently* have an infection, but almost no (0.01% or less) increased risk of problems from getting an STD after the first 20 days following IUD insertion.

I will admit to being somewhat irrationally afraid of Depo though. I had bad enough side effects from the pill that the idea of getting a shot full or hormones that could not be reversed if the side effects sucked was terrifying.

You should also be aware that the opposite effect of what you are looking for, bleeding non-stop, is quite common with both Depo and Implanon, and much less common with Mirena.

Yeah. All of these other options are pretty scary, especially the side effects. I'll say it again: the pill made me rapidly gain weight that I can't get rid of, I suspect the pill's also contributed to my ongoing depression, and it pretty much killed my sex drive (not that I need it anymore anyway). The only good thing I like about it is that I somewhat get to control my periods and it really does reduce the cramping (but doesn't eliminate them). I just want to try something different that won't make me bleed at all, and with little to no unpleasant side effects.

As far as I know in terms of infections, I'm clean, but I'm just paranoid especially after being with that walking cesspool, hence going to get tested Wednesday.

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 19, 2011

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
BigGayLogan, I'll be honest. What you are wanting really doesn't exist. It's usually the progesterone in BC that causes the weight gain, and that's present in pretty much every form of birth control out there. The Depo shot is straight progesterone, which is nice in terms of ending periods, but lovely for weight gain. Same with Implanon. The only option that will end your period without the risk of progesterone-related weight gain is the copper IUD.

So, knowing that, you have to figure out what is the most important to you. You can reasonably expect to end periods if you used a NuvaRing or Patch, but those could still feasibly cause the weight gain.

The other option is to do something permanent, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BigGayLogan posted:

Yeah. All of these other options are pretty scary, especially the side effects. I'll say it again: the pill made me rapidly gain weight that I can't get rid of, I suspect the pill's also contributed to my ongoing depression, and it pretty much killed my sex drive (not that I need it anymore anyway). The only good thing I like about it is that I somewhat get to control my periods and it really does reduce the cramping (but doesn't eliminate them). I just want to try something different that won't make me bleed at all, and with little to no unpleasant side effects.

As far as I know in terms of infections, I'm clean, but I'm just paranoid especially after being with that walking cesspool, hence going to get tested Wednesday.

Plenty of childless women under 30 scared of pain and heavy periods have gone with the mirena and not regretted it. I believe the weight gain or libido effects typical of oral hormonal birth control are not really a side effect of it, correct me if i'm wrong someone.

I had the paragard inserted at 22 no problems. It made my periods heavier and crampier for several months but then returned to pretty much normal. I wouldn't recommend it if you already have problems with cramps or heavy periods though, but I'd consider the mirena seriously if I were you.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Skywriter posted:

BigGayLogan, I'll be honest. What you are wanting really doesn't exist. It's usually the progesterone in BC that causes the weight gain, and that's present in pretty much every form of birth control out there. The Depo shot is straight progesterone, which is nice in terms of ending periods, but lovely for weight gain. Same with Implanon. The only option that will end your period without the risk of progesterone-related weight gain is the copper IUD.

So, knowing that, you have to figure out what is the most important to you. You can reasonably expect to end periods if you used a NuvaRing or Patch, but those could still feasibly cause the weight gain.

The other option is to do something permanent, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

? You mean the hormonal IUD? I don't think Paragard's really known for ending periods, unless maybe the increased cramping causes someone to just reach in and rip out her whole uterus.

Not that Mirena doesn't have the risk of weight gain, I think, but I'd have to defer to the other posters. By the time I was considering IUDs I had sworn off hormones.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

I guess I can't have everything, right? I just wanted to hear some outside opinions before I spoke with my doctor. And if we're still doing the IUDs, I don't think I can have a copper one. I'm allergic to nickel and other cheap metals and I heard that people with metal allergies like me shouldn't use a copper IUD.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BigGayLogan posted:

I guess I can't have everything, right? I just wanted to hear some outside opinions before I spoke with my doctor. And if we're still doing the IUDs, I don't think I can have a copper one. I'm allergic to nickel and other cheap metals and I heard that people with metal allergies like me shouldn't use a copper IUD.

I have an extreme nickel allergy and the copper iud hasn't affected me at all. Extreme as in I get blisters from the studs on my jeans and I can't wear anything other than platinum and titanium or my ears swell up like balloons with in 3 hours.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
Oops, yeah, my mistake. Got Paragard and Mirena confused!

BigGayLogan, yeah, it unfortunately becomes a pro/con thing. Sucks, huh? It makes me want to throw my uterus out the window sometimes. Ugh.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I'm on NuvaRing (which I have always loved!) but sadly, our insurance is changing and my copay is going up. It will now cost $40/month due to the lack of a generic. That means I'd be spending $480 to keep myself baby free every year. That's like, half of a vacation. :(

My insurance company said that if I had an IUD or Implanon inserted at the doctor's office, then I'd just have to pay my usual $30 copay, and it would include the device. No surprise bills should come. I'm leaning toward Implanon because I haven't had kids yet, and since I have 0 prospect of getting married right now, it definitely could be several years before kids anyway. But, I still need protection because hey, booty calls can be a good time!

Anyone else transition from NuvaRing to something more long-term? How'd it work for ya?

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
Implanon was great for the first 1 1/2 years of having it. I did gain weight, but it wasn't a *horrible* amount. It was really nice to not have to think about taking a pill every day. I had been on various pills for +/- 8 years before Implanon, so it was a welcome break.

For that first 1/5 years, I didn't have a period, ever. It was awesome! Then, sadly, I started spotting constantly, and eventually it led me to get it taken out. I am now going to NuvaRing, and then possibly getting Essure done.

So, YMMV, but Implanon was not horrible-scary or anything. Some people get weirded out by having that in their arm, but since you've used the Nuva, you sound like you'd be okay with it. And, getting it put in just gives you a sore arm for a couple of days.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

Skywriter posted:

Implanon was great for the first 1 1/2 years of having it. I did gain weight, but it wasn't a *horrible* amount. It was really nice to not have to think about taking a pill every day. I had been on various pills for +/- 8 years before Implanon, so it was a welcome break.

For that first 1/5 years, I didn't have a period, ever. It was awesome! Then, sadly, I started spotting constantly, and eventually it led me to get it taken out. I am now going to NuvaRing, and then possibly getting Essure done.

So, YMMV, but Implanon was not horrible-scary or anything. Some people get weirded out by having that in their arm, but since you've used the Nuva, you sound like you'd be okay with it. And, getting it put in just gives you a sore arm for a couple of days.

That's good to know. If I decide to go with it, I will just really have to watch what I eat and up the exercise.

I just read the OP and saw that I could use a coupon for $15 off what I already am paying monthly for NuvaRing. I might have to take advantage of that in the meantime until I decide.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Anyone else transition from NuvaRing to something more long-term? How'd it work for ya?

I switched from Nuvaring to Paragard in June for the same money saving reason since the copay for nuvaring kept going up and it's nice to have something permanent now in case I don't have insurance in a few months. With my insurance the paragard was $120, but I'm still saving over $250 this year alone.

Insertion wasn't fun but I was back to normal, albeit a bit crampy, the next day. I had a bit of spotting for a few days. I had been on nuvaring for years and my period was non-existent. They were never bad in the first place but I'm starting my first one on paragard and it's not nearly as bad as I had expected, no worse than I remember. I'm loving it so far!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

meiram posted:

Not that Mirena doesn't have the risk of weight gain, I think, but I'd have to defer to the other posters. By the time I was considering IUDs I had sworn off hormones.

Mirena carries a risk for pretty much any side effect you can normally have with progestin containing birth control, however these side effects do seem to generally be milder and less common with Mirena than with most other hormonal birth control.

I've got some increased acne that is almost certainly from the Mirena, but I have a strong family tendency toward acne (even as an adult), so it's tough to say the IUD is really to blame.

I have not had any weight gain at all from the Mirena, but I've never gained weight from any birth control and am one of those people everyone hates who actually has trouble keeping weight on (which is really not as fun as most people think, but that is an issue for another thread). I don't think I can remember any women in this thread complaining of weight gain issues with Mirena though, and it's not a documented side effect (which it absolutely is for Depo). It's not unusual to be a bit bloated for a little while after you get it (maybe a few weeks to a month) but that's about it. I also would not rule out the possibility of some mild weight gain, or it being a bit harder to lose weight than without the Mirena.

The biggest thing is that I don't know of another form of birth control that is as successful at reducing or eliminating periods as Mirena. Almost all women will have lower blood loss from periods or spotting with Mirena than before it, at least 20% lose their periods and have zero spotting, and something like 80% lose their periods but experience some spotting. And the cramps go away with the bleeding. I rarely every feel a cramp now and get no periods and very little spotting (once every 3-4 months maybe?) which is pretty loving cool since I had very heavy, very painful periods from ages 13-23 that did not respond AT ALL to other forms of hormonal birth control.

HHP: I'm pretty sure the Nuvaring was the last HBC I was on before I got my first Mirena (been so long I'm starting to forget). It was great. My last full period was the one I got the Mirena inserted on and then I spotted for a week or so after that, had a couple of much reduced periods, and then nothing. As easy as the Nuvaring was, the IUD is even easier. Insertion sucked, but is over quickly and worry free birth control is an awesome thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Lanthanum posted:

Also, how high up the vagina is the ring supposed to go? I feel mine is super shallow, i can stick the first third of my finger in and feel it already, I've tried pushing it up further but it always comes down and hangs out there. I don't feel it while walking around, and it hasn't ever fallen out yet, but I was under the impression that its higher up????

Can we switch vaginas?

It's a treasure hunt when I go to get mine out. My fingers are short anyway (the longest one being barely 3 inches), but I've got really squat and bear down. I feel so manhandled by the time it is through. Still... 5-10 minutes of searching versus trying to remember the pill (and all the digestive things I had going on while taking it) is so worth it.

Lanthanum posted:

e: Also my acne has cleared up!!!! I love nuvaring :h:

Mine is nearly gone, too! Still a bit on my chest, but otherwise... gone gone gone!

I find I get reaaally cranky during ring-free week though. To the point where I take everything said to me to be a personal attack. Just need to stay calm! I'm enjoying the decreased bleed-time though! Only about 5 days! Yessss!

• Locked thread