Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jenkl posted:

Ive become very interested in pursuing a martial arts. I was thinking Id start training in a practical form, but am worried because a) Ill only really have maybe 3/4 days a week to train and b) Im pretty out of shape right now. Most of the talk seems to suggest the practical forms tend to be for people trying to train up for MMA, would I be out of place pursuing it for personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

I'm willing to bet that most people in this thread would love to be able to train 3 or 4 days a week.

Also, don't worry about MMA if you aren't into that. Just find a good Jduo/BJJ/Muay Thai/Boxing/whatever club and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Jenkl posted:

Ive become very interested in pursuing a martial arts. I was thinking Id start training in a practical form, but am worried because a) Ill only really have maybe 3/4 days a week to train and b) Im pretty out of shape right now. Most of the talk seems to suggest the practical forms tend to be for people trying to train up for MMA, would I be out of place pursuing it for personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

You're perfect for it.

Most people train less than 4 days a week. In my experience life gets in the way for most people so they manage to train 2-3 times a week. I usually train twice a week and I've never trained more than 4 times a week personally (2x BJJ 2xJudo) and I'm still pretty good for my level.

Being in shape is never a bad thing, but martial arts will wreck you at first even if you're in good shape anyway so it's all good. There's always some new guys that come that are really out of shape. Those that stay end up being in pretty good shape after some time. Think of it as a motivation!

I think most people do BJJ/judo/whatever for the same of doing said martial art. Some may want to do MMA but I don't think it's the majority. Also, the vast majority of practitioners will never compete or only to try it for fun.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

So 13 people have joined the Martial Arts Goons group on Fitocracy. And it looks like those who have joined are actually using it. I still wish they were better equiped for non-weightlifting activities, but I like having a place to log my stuff for goon judgement. Reposting the invite here: http://ftcy.co/lAGD2X if anybody wants in.

I need to come up with a picture for the group. Any suggestion?

I signed up. Maybe this'll get me into the gym more often. As for the picture, might I suggest the Knave Hold from the Talhoffer manual.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I emailed the contact us address to ask for all martial arts to be separated into minutes of technique and minutes of sparring with sparring getting weighted heavier. It would be nice to have some more detail for the points.

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Let's take a look at "KO power", a study published by McGill last year showed the evidence of something called double peak activation. What that is, is the bodies ability to activate core musculature to propel a limb, then relax to allow maximal speed of a limb and then re-activate to stiffen the strike on landing. Research shows that this is key to developing power in striking. While some people just do this naturally there is no evidence that this can't be taught to athletes. As of now there haven't been any published protocols on how to improve this but you can bet there will be.

So, one of the key components of "KO power" was just proven to exist a year ago, even though we have had the ability to find this out for decades. The study that found this, was surprise not a boxing study, it was a study of MMA fighters. Boxing is so stuck in its' tradition that I'm not surprised that you are being fed incorrect information by your trainer, although I doubt it is purposeful.

That sounds kinda interesting. Years ago I trained this weird kung fu thing they called "kung fu toa simorgh". They talked as well about starting forcefully to create speed, relaxing and then tensing up again just as you impact. They called this "zero energy" or "shock". They kinda based this on passing the reflex of abs to tense up and absorb the blow. I eventually stopped doing this because of the katas, timid sparring and absent groundwork. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this before though. The website is at:
http://www.kungfu.nl/content/view/27/77/

At the moment I'm into Krav Maga, but I'm thinking of switching to something else, because there's pretty much no sparring, just drills. Is this normal for KM, or did I just get unlucky?

e: fixed link

JimmyCaladro fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 19, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JimmyCaladro posted:

At the moment I'm into Krav Maga, but I'm thinking of switching to something else, because there's pretty much no sparring, just drills. Is this normal for KM, or did I just get unlucky?

e: fixed link

That depends.

A) Where are you?
B) IKMF, KMW, or Bas Rutten?
C) Are any of your instructors Bas or Fit to Fight Certified?
D) How long have you trained?

My school didn't really focus on it until a few of us in level 2 started making concerted requests to the instructors, who obliged. It's entertaining now because some of the level 2 guys who have been sparring regularly are wrecking the level 4 guys who come down to our class.

Also: A decent krav school will usually have a BJJ instructor on premises. Because krav groundwork blows.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

JimmyCaladro posted:

Years ago I trained this weird kung fu thing they called "kung fu toa simorgh". I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this before though. The website is at:

I think some branch of this in the US got debunked pretty hard by Bullshido.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Jenkl posted:

personal development?

BJJ improved my confidence, understanding of the learning process, physical strength, focus, self-esteem, stamina, balance, drive, gave me a reason to lose weight, and made me friends with a whole new type of fitness nerd I wouldn't have met otherwise. I used to be a paranoid little punk, now I'm not worried about at least standing up for myself. The "competition" styles will give you back what you put into them, nothing more, nothing less.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoguh posted:

pow

or, alternatively, pow:

one more, maybe a bit easier to see at the small size:

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 19, 2011

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Thoguh posted:

So 13 people have joined the Martial Arts Goons group on Fitocracy. And it looks like those who have joined are actually using it. I still wish they were better equiped for non-weightlifting activities, but I like having a place to log my stuff for goon judgement. Reposting the invite here: http://ftcy.co/lAGD2X if anybody wants in.

That link didn't seem to bring me to the SA-MA group. What's the name? I saw a goon one, but I'd assume that's not this thread's.

VVV Cool, thanks! I'm in. VVV

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 19, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheStampede posted:

That link didn't seem to bring me to the SA-MA group. What's the name? I saw a goon one, but I'd assume that's not this thread's.

That's for joining. Direct link to the group is: http://www.fitocracy.com/group/706/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Are you making the argument that you punch just as hard and just as fast as you did seven years ago when you started?

Cause if you do I can see your point but I bet you improved, which means that your power and hand speed are not "hardwired".
+
"KO power"

My speed has increased as I've learned correct technique but not from any gains in handspeed. I was already athletic when I started boxing so there was not change in my body and even as I got fat over the years and got back in shape that's the one thing that's been constant.

That KO power study is really cool and all but there's a reason not everyone can tap you like Ernie Shavers or Big George and KO you. Maybe the boxing mentality is this works why gently caress with it? And work with what you got(not Paul Williams let's not fix glaring holes in my game style though).

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
So tonight I had to go with my sparring partner to the ER to get stitches after an accident while knife sparring. I was using a wooden knife with a pointed end (should have been using a rubber knife :/), which ended up stabbing him. The EMS station was just 5 mins away so we went there first to get it bandaged. One of the firefighters was a judoka and was laughing about it with us.

I was impressed at the hospital ER (DT toronto) as we were in and out of there in less than 30 mins from walking through the door to him getting sutured up, free of charge.

Then on the way home my buddy's cab got into an accident. Talk about an eventful monday.

Jenkl posted:

That's basically my priorities. Don't worry about current fitness level, you and many of us here were the same way. You will thank yourself for not wasting the extra months trying to "get into shape" before starting.

And 3-4 days a week is awesome.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

pow

or, alternatively, pow:

one more, maybe a bit easier to see at the small size:

holy poo poo those are awesome, nice job! Love how the last one is rocking a sweet gi. :)

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 19, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

Are you the one I suggested that combo to a couple weeks ago? If so, isn't it great? Enjoy it while it last because everyone in your club will get a clue soon enough, but it still remains one of, if not my, favorite combo.

Yes, and thankyou. It is literally faaar and away my best moment during my Judo. Normally I have lots of things ready to try as I go to Judo and then when I get there I always forget my strategy or whatever it is I want to work on, but for once I remembered something. You should have seen his face, and mine.
e2: If any non judo people want to see what I'm blowing my load about, here's a vid of the technique: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nehKHu39Kx0

edit: Thoguh, all your avatars are random as hell.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 19, 2011

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

My speed has increased as I've learned correct technique but not from any gains in handspeed.

I'm very confused by this statement. How do you personally differentiate from punching faster and increased hand speed? Can you explain what you mean?

KidDynamite posted:

I was already athletic when I started boxing so there was not change in my body and even as I got fat over the years and got back in shape that's the one thing that's been constant.

How do you know? Did you test your speed? While it may seem that you are moving at the same speed but there can be major differences that you won't pick up on if there isn't a massive swing from day to day.

KidDynamite posted:

That KO power study is really cool and all but there's a reason not everyone can tap you like Ernie Shavers or Big George and KO you. Maybe the boxing mentality is this works why gently caress with it? And work with what you got(not Paul Williams let's not fix glaring holes in my game style though).

Again I never stated that there isn't a genetic component to any sport. One of the biggest deciders in all sports is choosing the right parents. That said my point with the McGill study is that while boxing training works, obviously, it can be improved on but isn't for the most part.

Another study for you, Voigt and Klausen '89 improved the punching speed of Karateka. How? They found two different methods, firstly just punching drills focused on speed, shocking. Second speed drills combined with heavy resistance work. So there is scientific proof that you can increase punching speed and in part using a technique, lifting weights, that many (not all) traditional boxing coaches will claim makes you slow.

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

That depends.

A) Where are you?
B) IKMF, KMW, or Bas Rutten?
C) Are any of your instructors Bas or Fit to Fight Certified?
D) How long have you trained?

My school didn't really focus on it until a few of us in level 2 started making concerted requests to the instructors, who obliged. It's entertaining now because some of the level 2 guys who have been sparring regularly are wrecking the level 4 guys who come down to our class.

Also: A decent krav school will usually have a BJJ instructor on premises. Because krav groundwork blows.

A) I live in the Netherlands.
B) They claim to be KMW. I wouldn't know how to verify that though and 'because it says so on their website' doesn't really seem valid.
C) I believe since recently one of my instructors is Fit to Fight certified, but only since last year somewhere.
D) I've been a member for about two years now, but I've been not able to train for a few periods due to some bullshit reasons. I think effectively I've been training for a little over a year.

I haven't been there in quite a while now though and haven't really had the chance to attend the Fit to Fight classes. I'm also still level 1, but I'm sure that if I practiced for a bit and smooth out the techniques a little, I could easily pass the test.

I just checked the website again and it says that there will be sparring in the Fit to Fight classes, but only in those. Which I think is kind of annoying. I'd rather have they spar always everyday. Now I would have to attend both to also get the KM self defense part. Is this Fit to Fight much different from just straight up Kick Boxing + groundwork? I honestly don't know much about it and it doesn't say much on the website.

kimbo305 posted:

I think some branch of this in the US got debunked pretty hard by Bullshido.

Ohw I really wouldn't be surprised. It was all kinda weird and mystical at some points. They said that if you trained long enough and 'reached circle four' you could start seeing/feeling people move before they did by their auras and all that. All in all it was still pretty fun though and I was happy enough I got to do some sparring, however timid it was. I came from doing Shaolin Kung Fu, which was all kata. My stamina and all that was monstrous from Shaolin though.

Also: I remembered that we had these tai chi sessions where we would have to handle 'energy balls' or something like that. Some of us, including me, would start doing basketball with these invisible energy balls, and tossing them to each other and stuff, much to the disdain of my instructor. God, when I think back, there was some pretty wack stuff going on there.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
^^^^

A) You should do kickboxing. gently caress Krav, we live Kickboxing Capital of the world.

B) See above. No question about lineage when you can step into Vos or Meijeiro, or Aerts, or Bonjanski etc gym.

C) Like above.

:) Now where do you live so I can teach you groundwork/take you to a BJJ class that'll teach you groundwork.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is the best logo, fantastic.

Also hey, Dutch MA goons, look at that. Anyone live around Utrecht? I'd love to get punched in the face because of the internet.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What are Krav Maga classes like? What type of striking is done?

There suddenly seems to be Krav -goons all over the place.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Yes, and thankyou. It is literally faaar and away my best moment during my Judo. Normally I have lots of things ready to try as I go to Judo and then when I get there I always forget my strategy or whatever it is I want to work on, but for once I remembered something. You should have seen his face, and mine.
e2: If any non judo people want to see what I'm blowing my load about, here's a vid of the technique: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nehKHu39Kx0

edit: Thoguh, all your avatars are random as hell.

Great, I really love sharing that with people who are newer than me to judo. It's always the first combo I suggest to people when they get to yellow belt and want to get better in randori and don't know how. The "reverse" version works very well too (kouchi to seio). The other great thing about that is that it'll give you motivation to train "the world most boring throw TM" (kouchi gari)and it ends up becoming "the world most awesome and versatile move TM".

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Rhaka posted:

This is the best logo, fantastic.

Also hey, Dutch MA goons, look at that. Anyone live around Utrecht? I'd love to get punched in the face because of the internet.

I used to live and train in Amsterdam, but I had to move north. I still try to go to Vos Gym 2-3 times a week though, but mostly more Noord Holland. But I'd love to do a SA Dutch Goon Fight Meetup

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JimmyCaladro posted:

A) I live in the Netherlands.
B) They claim to be KMW. I wouldn't know how to verify that though and 'because it says so on their website' doesn't really seem valid.
C) I believe since recently one of my instructors is Fit to Fight certified, but only since last year somewhere.
D) I've been a member for about two years now, but I've been not able to train for a few periods due to some bullshit reasons. I think effectively I've been training for a little over a year.

I haven't been there in quite a while now though and haven't really had the chance to attend the Fit to Fight classes. I'm also still level 1, but I'm sure that if I practiced for a bit and smooth out the techniques a little, I could easily pass the test.

I just checked the website again and it says that there will be sparring in the Fit to Fight classes, but only in those. Which I think is kind of annoying. I'd rather have they spar always everyday. Now I would have to attend both to also get the KM self defense part. Is this Fit to Fight much different from just straight up Kick Boxing + groundwork? I honestly don't know much about it and it doesn't say much on the website.

Ok. If you lived in the US, I'd say "Get out of level 1." Level 2 is almost entirely learning defenses and other attacks so you can start sparring. There's generally some sparring in level 2 classes. Level 1 is just to teach you the very, very basics. (How do you maintain your sanity? Jesus.)

Fit to Fight is generally some boxing, some kickboxing and some clinchwork-- it's a good basis to build upon. Generally there's a warmup, then you start throwing combinations, work on slipping punches, and generally work on hitting and getting hit. There also may be some thai pummeling.

But you live in the loving Netherlands! There's an argument to be made that you're in the greatest place to learn kickboxing IN THE WORLD.

KMW is based out of Los Angeles. Your instructors either have to wait for seminars or fly to loving LA (or israel) to get better.

I'd switch, brother.

Ligur posted:

Depends on the gym and the rank. I've got a gym I'm really happy with in Austin but the gym I went to in Dallas was poo poo, so I'll tell you about both.

Austin: Classes are generally an hour, divided into three phases. 15 minute warmup for conditioning, 5 minutes of stretching, 30 minutes of technique and then either a self defense (dumb) or application.

Level 1 is just teaching you the basics: stance and movement, how to throw a punch, how to throw a knee, how to throw a foot jab, and focuses a lot on self-defenses. Self defenses are generally: "Here's how to defend someone choking you from the front. Here's how to defend against someone choking you from the back." I hate them, but the women in class seem to love them.

Level 2/3 is more about actually fighting. So still the same warmup, only you might be sparring. You work on slipping punches, inside defenses, broadening your kick arsenal, learning the fundamentals of groundwork (still lovely) and maybe some sparring at the end or other (dumb) self defenses.

Dallas:

Level 1: 5 minute light warmup. 10 minutes of striking (general strikes like punches or knees) and then 45 minutes of working on self-defenses. 45 god drat minutes of working on what happens when you're choked from behind while someone's pushing you. I have no god drat idea.

Striking: It's a mix of muay thai, western style boxing and some side and back kicks stolen from a number of arts. I've got all my muay thai tools plus a few more.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

CaptainScraps posted:

But you live in the loving Netherlands! There's an argument to be made that you're in the greatest place to learn kickboxing IN THE WORLD.

I've never heard of this, can you elaborate?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

I've never heard of this, can you elaborate?

The netherlands have been a dominant force in kickboxing internation competitions for years.

From wikipedia : "Dutch athletes have been very successful in the K-1 competitions. Out of the 18 K-1 World Grand Prix championship titles issued from 1993 to 2010, 15 went to Dutch participants (Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost, Remy Bonjasky, Semmy Schilt. The remaining three titles were won by Branko Cikatić of Croatia in 1993, Andy Hug of Switzerland in 1996, and Mark Hunt of New Zealand in 2001."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Jenkl posted:

I train 4 days a week at most. I used to train 5 days but to do that I had to stay 100% dedicated, which killed my social life (no drinks with friends or wild weekends). You also get more injuries and chronic problems when you start pushing into the 5/6 day territory.

Its kind of the 80/20 rule, 3-4 days you get a lot of benefit, and the 5-6 range starts topping out. For a a hobbyist, consistently getting that 80% is a great goal, and leave that last little bit to guys that want to be professionals.

If you can stay consistent with 4 days a week, or a 4/3 alternating schedule, you will be way ahead of the average learning curve.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Syphilis Fish posted:

I used to live and train in Amsterdam, but I had to move north. I still try to go to Vos Gym 2-3 times a week though, but mostly more Noord Holland. But I'd love to do a SA Dutch Goon Fight Meetup

I might move to Amsterdam sometime in the coming year, seeing as how I'll be switching universities to there. If doable, I'll probably pop by Vos, seems like a significantly better idea than my current juggling of 3 schools and ending up broke.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

That's for joining. Direct link to the group is: http://www.fitocracy.com/group/706/

Joining that whole fitocracy thing. I only train MA once a week for the summer, but I'm trying to do a lot of conditioning so that's ok too I guess.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Another study for you, Voigt and Klausen '89 improved the punching speed of Karateka. How? They found two different methods, firstly just punching drills focused on speed, shocking. Second speed drills combined with heavy resistance work. So there is scientific proof that you can increase punching speed and in part using a technique, lifting weights, that many (not all) traditional boxing coaches will claim makes you slow.

I've read a lot about simultaneous muscle activation; the more muscles you can work at the exact same time during a strike the stronger/faster said strike will be.

EDIT: And this includes a lot of different elements that are all really commonly taught: feet, leg, quad, hips, torso, etc movement.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 19, 2011

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
What are little BJJ girls made of?
Elbows and knees,
And moves that cause men unease
That's what little BJJ girls are made of.

Jesus christ i'm glad i wore a cup

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Illegal Username posted:

Jesus christ i'm glad i wore a cup

this reminds me of a question i wanted to ask. I dont use a cup or mouthguard when I roll; I suppose it's personal preference of course, some guys use one or both and some neither. I've never had any problems, but then again, I've only been training for about a month and a half. Is this something I should reconsider, or just keep to what's comfortable for me? I don't have any previous sport experience so mouthguards and cups are completely unfamiliar topics

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mindtwist posted:

this reminds me of a question i wanted to ask. I dont use a cup or mouthguard when I roll; I suppose it's personal preference of course, some guys use one or both and some neither. I've never had any problems, but then again, I've only been training for about a month and a half. Is this something I should reconsider, or just keep to what's comfortable for me? I don't have any previous sport experience so mouthguards and cups are completely unfamiliar topics

In judo 99% of the people seem to wear neither and I've never seen anything happen. I now have a cup with me at all time that I'll wear if we're doing something that seems risky for my balls or if I really don't feel like getting hit in the balls at all. I always wear the boxer short they came with which have some padding in the crotch area and that's enough for me in 99% of situations.

anyway, in the end the best idea is to train with both a mouthguard and a cup (ideally you'd wear ear guards too if your ears have a tendency to go cauliflower on you) but since no one does it where I train I sort of never cared. It's still stupid considering how expensive going to the dentist is.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
cup is sort of a personal choice, at least for grappling. Some guys swear by it, others (like me) find them annoying and often make things hurt worse when someone hits the cup and it transfers the force directly into your pelvis. I think it might be related to personal anatomy but I don't want to make this sport even gayer by exploring that.

buy and wear a mouth guard .

It is very easy to chip or outright lose a tooth from an accidental knee at a bad angle, which is a lot of expense and pain that can be easily avoided. Even if you insist on getting a $100 custom job, it's cheaper and less annoying than taking an unfortunate shot to front teeth. Mouthguards also help protects your jaw from getting knocked around too much, which can result in very painful chronic jaw pain and arthritis.

It's like a gun or a condom, better to have it and never use it, than to wish it was there.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 19, 2011

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
hmm, I'll have to take that into consideration. Money is tight at the moment, and I have really hosed up, comically crooked jaw + teeth structure because I chose not to wear braces in high school (brilliant, I know), so I would probably need something custom fitted. I'll definitely keep it on the list of priorities for when I get a job though, thanks for the responses!

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Regular mouthguards that you soften with boiling water and mold into the mouth yourself are very cheap, and they do an adequate job of protecting your teeth.

Get one, and do wear it when you train. Harming your teeth sucks.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

What are little BJJ girls made of?
Elbows and knees,
And moves that cause men unease
That's what little BJJ girls are made of.

Three words, "Mounted Armbar Drills"

EDIT: Echoing the above advice about wearing a mouthguard. I rock a shockdoctor, and I find it to be pretty great, it's a little more solid then the other boil and bites which is nice, as some people can't stand rubbery mouthguards (like me). I don't end up chewing on it either.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 19, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Ligur posted:

For my school:
3 Hours each session, with 20 minutes of stretching and cardio, and the rest broken up into this process for each attack/defence: 1) demonstrating a new technique 2) drilling the technique 3) applying the technique. The main instructor has received certifications by the IKMF as an instructor in both the restricted Law Enforcement and Military components of Krav Maga. He has trained in Europe, Asia, and Israel at the IKMF HQ in Netanya, with the head instructors of Krav Maga. He was graded by Eyal Yanilov, head of the IKMF at the time, and achieved the rank of Expert Level 1.

I think a lot of critisms in this thread are not because krav is a joke, but because the instructor/school they attend is a joke. I haven't heard one critism yet that is actually something taught in/a component of a legimate krav school.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So is IKMF the "good one"? I can never find any information on the organizational splits online.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
ahaha, I ask about mouthguards and cups, and then tonight during open mat, let's see.. I kneed a partner in the face, kneed MYSELF in the face, caught a knee in the balls working open guard, and got my balls grabbed during a scramble (lmao at this gay loving sport)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Ok so, attending this new club I think my "real" judo club is way, way harder on the grading. People of my belt level (green) are at most orange level if I compare to the people I generally train with. I almost want to quit my club for 6 month so I get my blue :v:

mindtwist posted:

ahaha, I ask about mouthguards and cups, and then tonight during open mat, let's see.. I kneed a partner in the face, kneed MYSELF in the face, caught a knee in the balls working open guard, and got my balls grabbed during a scramble (lmao at this gay loving sport)

haha, that was so predictable. Never talk about injuries or else the god of injury rapes your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

KingColliwog posted:

Ok so, attending this new club I think my "real" judo club is way, way harder on the grading. People of my belt level (green) are at most orange level if I compare to the people I generally train with. I almost want to quit my club for 6 month so I get my blue :v:

Would you rather be a ridiculously strong green or a weak orange? Ditto for blue. Would you rather be a strong blue or a weak blue?

I hear the same thing in kendo -- people saying "oh man, kids get 1-dan in Japan so early, I wish I could go to Japan and get my 1-dan!" but it doesn't matter. Your skills give the rank meaning, not the other way around. Strong kendo is strong kendo and strong judo is strong judo.

• Locked thread