Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've recently been rereading the newer Achewood strips that I only read once before, as they were coming out (pretty much from 2007 onwards) and they're much better than I remembered. There are some arcs I'm not such a huge fan of (Todd in North Korea, for instance) but overall they're as good as Achewood ever was and I think my biggest problem was not being verbose enough at the time to understand them, or just not reading them thoroughly enough.

Then I got to this strip, which may be my favourite of the entire run. It's not funny at all, but it's heartbreaking and moving and everything webcomics almost never are. It really made me think about how unique and special Achewood really is. God loving dammit, Onstad, come back already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

glug posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06042002

I miss you Achewood, but you still make me laugh and I'm glad we have a random page now. :(

Someone linked me to a random page on Achewood from 2007. I re-read everything from there on in, then went back to the beginning. I'm almost done again. God drat, I miss Achewood :(

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've often reflected that we wouldn't care this much about its decline if Achewood wasn't the funniest poo poo ever in its prime.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Bown posted:

Then I got to this strip, which may be my favourite of the entire run. It's not funny at all, but it's heartbreaking and moving and everything webcomics almost never are. It really made me think about how unique and special Achewood really is. God loving dammit, Onstad, come back already.

Right. Then, after it hits the right mood, the alt text is just what you need.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Hello Achewood thread I made this yesterday and I don't know why.

edit it could be because I am a tremendous dork

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
random achewood is best
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05062003

I actually started at the next one, but back up to here and read 'till the tears.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

glug posted:

random achewood is best

I actually started at the next one, but back up to here and read 'till the tears.

Kept going til I got to this

Lyle's is the fuckin' poo poo:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05162003

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

woodenchicken posted:

Anyone have any more recipes they would like to share? I loved the ones already posted, as in they're funny as hell.

1. Take 1 good steak and Peper it
2. Peper it squarely
3. Sizzle the Meat

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

1. Take 1 good steak and Peper it
2. Peper it squarely
3. Sizzle the Meat

It MUFT Sizzle!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

glug posted:

random achewood is best

Ray doing his little dance gets to me every time, it's just amazing.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

These random Achewoods are making me remember that this comic is one of the only things that has ever made me laugh to the point of tears.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I'm guessing the Achewood Cookbook #1 is basically in limbo too unless some kind goon puts his account on the line and scans the whole thing for us.

There's not even anywhere to download it. :smith:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Brilliant little gem.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01072002

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'm partial to Philippe's Christmas present. A heartwarming little tale :3:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ashenai posted:

I've always been partial to the strips where things are foretold:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12282001
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04282005

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Ashenai posted:

Holy poo poo that first panel, for a moment I didn't notice his mouth. :glomp:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

We miss you, Achewood.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

This strip could only be made better if Connie moon walked out of frame.

Hurry the gently caress up, Onstad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dodgeball posted:

This strip could only be made better if Connie moon walked out of frame.

Hurry the gently caress up, Onstad.

Goddamn yes, I love being reminded of wonderful little one-off strips like this. And I'd forgotten Philippe's perfect reaction to seeing the Moonwalk for the first time - first confusion, then shock and a little disgust at seeing something so clearly WRONG and then sheer joy as you realize just how RIGHT it actually is. :3:

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
I want to hear this strip narrated in five year old Phillipe voice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

God drat. This one hits a little too close to home.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

God drat. This one hits a little too close to home.

A couple of strips later, we learn from the alt-text that Philippe was huddled under a sheet with a flashlight reading a book called,"How come a bird can die?" :ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deathlove posted:

I've always been partial to the strips where things are foretold:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12282001
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04282005

The followup to the latter is also gold. Téodor's pants falling down when he's resurrected, how it all must've looked to Cornelius etc. Man. Achewood :(

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05082009

I had forgotten how spectacular the Little Nephew in Wales arc was. WHAT IS THE PERFECT TIME TO MEET A NEW PERSON? SEVEN? THREE?!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
After accidentally spending three hours reading old achewood I'm pretty sure that 2003 is my favorite year, starting with the Subway arc.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cobweb Heart posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05082009

I had forgotten how spectacular the Little Nephew in Wales arc was. WHAT IS THE PERFECT TIME TO MEET A NEW PERSON? SEVEN? THREE?!

Ahahahaha Just try it out. If you don't dig it, we'll set you up with an eye infection and some lunch water.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Some of the issue with posting the recipes from the first cookbook is that they're written in-character, and there's no real "step by step" like the ones I've posted already. That said, here's some more:

Achewood Cookbook: Teodor posted:

Caramelized Onions

2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, about baseball size
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (must use this kind, no substitutions)

Cut the onions up into pieces about the size of dice, making sure the outerlayer and root ends are removed.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, throw in chopped onions. Stir occasionally for a few minutes until they brown slightly, then pour in the vinegar and stir thoroughly. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approx. 10 minutes.

Remove the lid and continue to saute until the liquid reaches a syrup-like consistency and the onions are completely softened.

Achewood Cookbook: Ray posted:

Ruuude Chicken

4 lb chicken, giblets removed
1 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
olive oil or butter
black pepper

Optional brine ingredients
10 cloves
crushed garlic pieces
fresh thyme, rubbed between the hands then dropped in the brine
crushed bay leaf or two

(leave these in the brine when removing the chicken)

The chicken should be a "free range" chicken. As Ray put it:

Ray posted:

Alright dogg, first you gotta get a chicken (4 lbs). It should be from the grocery store, and it would be good if it was "free range" style--not because you should care about its life (although you should, I mean come on) but because the flavor is better. If you got to a crummy grocery store you ain't gonna get but crummy Foster Farms birds and that will just have to do I guess. Maybe you could have tried harder?

(NOTE TO EDITOR: is it good to ask them if they could have tried harder?!!!)

Combine two gallons of water, sugar, salt, and any optional ingrediants. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved completely. Put the chicken in the brine, using a large pot or bag, and refrigerate overnight. (Ray: "The greatest talent of a chicken is to unleash death if not kept at proper low temperatures prior to cooking. Anyhow, during the night is when the molecules go all crazy and party in and out of the meat.")

Preheat oven to 400F. While oven is heating, remove chicken from brine and place in roasting pan. Brush with olive oil or butter and season with pepper.

Cook for approximately 90 minutes or until deepest part of breast reaches 170F. Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Achewood Cookbook: Ray posted:

Perfect Hot Dogs Every Time

some tap water
3 hot dogs
3 buns
ketchup
1 red onion, cut into extremely small pieces
relish
mustard to taste
a pan

Toast buns (either in a toaster or in the pan prior to cooking the hot dogs). (Ray: "Crunchy texture makes everything more satisfying, don't you notice?")

Fill pan with approx. 1/8" water, put on high heat, and lay hot dogs in carefully (do not splash). Poke hot dogs with a fork. Roll hot dogs around in the pan to heat evenly. When water is gone, hot dogs are done.

Proper ingredient stacking:

1. Bun (open)
2. Ketchup (base)
3. Hot Dog
4. Mustard (top base)
5. Onions (held in place by mustard
6. Relish (you gotta get into relish if you ain't already)

Achewook Cookbook: Pat posted:

Toasted Nut Orzo

1/2 lb orzo (pasta, usually half a box)
3/4 cup crumbled Feta
3/4 cup equal parts sliced almonds and crumbled pecans
4 scallions (green onions) cut into 1" pieces
extra-virgin olive oil, "first cold press" if possible
salt

While waiting for water to boil, put nuts and onions into a dry pan over medium-high heat. Cook undisturbed until you start to smell them heating up, then flip every minute or so. When nuts and onions darken and become fragrant, remove from heat and chop roughly.

Salt boiling water and cook orzo according to directions on the package. Drain and return to pot. Add nuts and onions and stir. Pour in olive oil, at least 1/3 cup. Stir well, adding cheese.

Achewood Cookbook: Lyle posted:

Microwaved Egg Muffin

2 egg whites
dash salt to season egg
1 thin slice sharp cheese
1 toasted english muffin
(optional) thinly sliced cured meat such as ham or salami

plastic wrap
small bowl or ramekin, same diameter as muffin

Remove egg yolks carefully. Discard. Add whites to bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes on high (or until egg is completely fluffy and cooked). Remove plastic, lay cheese on egg and microwave 20 seconds more. Use a fork to slide egg out of bowl and onto muffin. If adding meat, lay meat over egg and cheese as soon as it's done cooking.

Lyle posted:

NOTE: Microwaves vary immensely in actual wattage output. You may need to vary cooking times.

NOTE: Watching the egg cook in a black bowl will blow your mind.

NOTE: I like to dress the muffin with mayonnaise but I didn't put that in the ingredients.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tolan posted:

Fill pan with approx. 1/8" water, put on high heat, and lay hot dogs in carefully (do not splash). Poke hot dogs with a fork. Roll hot dogs around in the pan to heat evenly. When water is gone, hot dogs are done.

Oh my god... this is genius

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

change my name posted:

It works better with beer, actually.

I noticed someone said Achewood declined, but I am of the opinion that it really didn't, or at least that it recovered. I admit some boredom during and after Beef's wedding, but it quickly recovered after that, and there is hardly a strip that I do not enjoy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

At no point did I ever feel the quality of the comic was going down, he just start updating less and less regularly. Every new strip still had that old magic for me though, there were just far too few of them.

The random page took me to the Rey gives Todd his own television show mini-arc, culminating in the absolutely amazing Quimarello strip - I love the punchline/alt text combo for this one so much.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!

Jerusalem posted:

At no point did I ever feel the quality of the comic was going down, he just start updating less and less regularly. Every new strip still had that old magic for me though, there were just far too few of them.

The random page took me to the Rey gives Todd his own television show mini-arc, culminating in the absolutely amazing Quimarello strip - I love the punchline/alt text combo for this one so much.

Relevantly, Todd's on this thing so often he should have theme music and bumpers..

I know Achewood normally doesn't do reoccurring characters, but I'd like to see Lonis again someday. This was a drat Good Arc.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

change my name posted:

That's how I've always cooked hot dogs. The only thing I'd add is to leave them in the pan just long enough to get a good sear once the water's gone, makes for a better texture. (And yeah, beer works even better.)

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

ProfZoom posted:

Relevantly, Todd's on this thing so often he should have theme music and bumpers..

I know Achewood normally doesn't do reoccurring characters, but I'd like to see Lonis again someday. This was a drat Good Arc.

Todd pretty much has his own theme music.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Any loving time now, Onstad... Seriously. We have. All. Been. Waiting.

EDIT: It's not out of hate, it's out of love.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
The fact that it's taking a long time to get new comics is sort of a good thing, in a way. It either means he's not getting any work done and we'll never see a comic again, or that he's slowly building up a chunk of good (or at least, numerous) comics.

Either is better than one weird unsure comic every few months.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

I suppose it'd be nice to be assured with a buffer, especially if the updates are as constant as the were years ago. I think since the random comic kajigger thing went up, I've re-read the archives like 3 times through, though. I mean I love the Phillipe goes home arc, but if I read it again, I'll probably have his dad's speech memorized.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just want him to start updating again so i can tell him he is rad, he is a rad friend :smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eat the eggs, Onstad.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dodgeball posted:

I suppose it'd be nice to be assured with a buffer, especially if the updates are as constant as the were years ago. I think since the random comic kajigger thing went up, I've re-read the archives like 3 times through, though. I mean I love the Phillipe goes home arc, but if I read it again, I'll probably have his dad's speech memorized.

Yeah, visiting the Achewood site at the moment is incredibly damaging to my productivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Nessus posted:

Eat the eggs, Onstad.

Eh, why eat eggs just to go bug a guy? Let's don't and say we did. *snap*