Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jork Juggler posted:

I recall reading that the Scion tC has a stretched wheelbase from the Toyota Avensis it is based upon. They really did just take a car and stretch is a bit in the middle, I guess American back seat passengers have longer legs than others.

They have the same wheelbase, and the Avensis is longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jork Juggler posted:

I recall reading that the Scion tC has a stretched wheelbase from the Toyota Avensis it is based upon. They really did just take a car and stretch is a bit in the middle, I guess American back seat passengers have longer legs than others.

Pretty sure the wheelbase is exactly the same.

I'll bet the Avensis has more leg room anyway, its designed as a mid sized family sedan/wagon afterall

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

I work with someone that has one of these. It's got tubular doors, I'll try ab get a photo later today.

It actually looks ok, other than the CoD logos.

I love the looks of the Black Ops wrangler minus any/all vidja-game related graphics on the vehicle. If that poo poo's removable (probably with a heat gun, it has to be vinyl right?) those things are awesome.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I love the looks of the Black Ops wrangler minus any/all vidja-game related graphics on the vehicle. If that poo poo's removable (probably with a heat gun, it has to be vinyl right?) those things are awesome.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat minus the Call of Duty logos .... and, you know, if I had money.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Hey guys, I heard about a new car today that sounds pretty awesome. It's called the Dodge Fiat Magnum.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/07/gilles-dodge-may-bring-back-dodge-magnum-wagon/1

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Hey guys, I heard about a new car today that sounds pretty awesome. It's called the Dodge Fiat Magnum.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/07/gilles-dodge-may-bring-back-dodge-magnum-wagon/1

Oooh, poo poo that's exciting. I just hope they'll offer it with a six-speed. They obviously fit in the LX chassis.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Shame about the typical Dodge crosshair grill, and the super tall sides. Still, I'm excited to maybe see new Magnums again.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Did it have third row seating? I was checking out a XC70 while getting my oil changed and was very disappointed that apparently they're just sedans with extra cargo space.

In other news, at the same oil change, I ran a mile down the street to a Nissan dealership and checked out the Juke. Definitely workable for my 6'4" self, even in the back seat. Cargo space leaves something to be desired, but it's on the whole a tiny car anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

God drat the Toyobaru FT-86 is being thoroughly fuckin' Toyota'd.

Awesome concept, plain as gently caress release. welp.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm excited about more high-powered wagons. A friend is getting a CTS-V Sport Wagon and I am damned anticipatory.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Has anyone driven a chevy cruze eco 6 speed? I'm still at a loss what to do car wise. One part of me wants to be an idiot and buy a mustang boss 302 and the other be economical and get a cruze or go in between and get a gti update. Still might fix the 5.3L s10 blazer swap...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oooh, poo poo that's exciting. I just hope they'll offer it with a six-speed. They obviously fit in the LX chassis.

Im sure they wont, they still dont offer the 6 speed in the Charger or 300, only the challenger. It will most likely just have the ZF 8 speed transmission that they've started fitting to the other second gen LX cars.

Skyssx posted:

Did it have third row seating? I was checking out a XC70 while getting my oil changed and was very disappointed that apparently they're just sedans with extra cargo space.

They didnt and i doubt they would. There definitely isnt enough space in the rear for another row.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Has anyone driven a chevy cruze eco 6 speed? I'm still at a loss what to do car wise. One part of me wants to be an idiot and buy a mustang boss 302 and the other be economical and get a cruze or go in between and get a gti update. Still might fix the 5.3L s10 blazer swap...

Economical is never a new car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Christobevii3 posted:

AutoBlog has, and I think they liked it. I wouldn't mind testing one.

I spent last weekend with the Cruze LTZ RS:

quote:

The cars used in this review were provided by General Motors.

The Chevrolet Cruze is what I would consider to be an “compact car;” it’s not frighteningly big, not frighteningly small, good on gas, and is the kind of car I would drive to work in if I had a commute.

Most of my impressions are from a weekend where I drove from Miami to Melbourne, three hours each way. The trip went like this:

Use switchblade key to open trunk.
Load trunk with bags, notice that there’s slightly more room than in the trunk of my 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage, much more room than the 2011 Chrysler 200 Convertible or the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible, and much less room than the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor used for taxis in Miami.
Close trunk.
Unlock car, sit down, and buckle up (always buckle your seat belt when you enter a car or truck).
Plug iPhone 3GS into armrest for charging and music.
Start car, drive away.
The driving experience of the “LTZ RS” version I had was pretty standard. It didn’t feel floaty, shaky, or otherwise frightening at highway speeds in the least; but at the same time it didn’t have a ton of power to spare for passing. I suspect I’d enjoy the manual transmission version more on this front, since the auto is slow, even when manually commanded (although it does have six gears). Coming off of a stop, there’s a sweet spot above 3500 rpm where you can feel the extra power from the turbo, but it’s not a sports car by any means. This also means that it’s not loud and that the suspension isn’t hair-raising and jittery, which is nice.

The interior is quite nice for the size of the car; it’s better than the 2010 Prius, but not the 2009 C-klasse. The fabric covering on the dashboard looks nice, and doesn’t feel as hot as a plastic dashboard does after a day in the sun. The leather seats were okay, although I think fabric ones would be nicer in Florida. The instruments are easy to read, but I think the VFD display between the gauges could stand to show a bit more information.

In particular, while the display does give you some nice options such as the next navigation item, average fuel economy, and range until empty, it could stand to maybe put two things on the same page, provide an instantaneous fuel economy readout, and maybe a bit of audio information.

The OnStar navigation works, but it’s a bit janky and slow to get it set up. It’s nice that the car doesn’t store any map data that will be out of date long before it’s actually loaded into the car, but calling OnStar and using voice recognition to load in a new route, and being unable to quickly recover from a missed turn is pretty lame compared to what you see on a cell phone or other cars with navigation.

The audio system was pretty reasonable; it sounded fine, the XM worked well, but browsing a large collection (> 100 albums) on my iPhone was hard, since there’s no voice search, just a four-line screen and a dial to page through it. Dialing the phone over Bluetooth was also a dicey proposition; I never was able to call somebody by name (including difficult entries such as “Home” or “Shawn Baker,”) and had to use the dial to pick from the whole phone book or recent call lists pretty often. My #1 annoyance was that the navigation system wouldn’t duck out in a phone call like the stereo would, so everyone got an earful of turn-by-turn directions.

Since it’s a compact car, I didn’t try and put four 6’ guys in it for a trip to Epcot; my parents got the vehicle for the day, and liked it. My dad in particular said that he’d consider one once the reliability is a known factor, and that him and my mom didn’t have any really problems with it around town.

I didn’t see fantastic gas mileage during my travels, but did get about 35mpg on the highway with A/C on. Other than that, there’s not much to say; it’s a quietly competent compact car, with nice toys inside.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new 2012 Impalas are hitting the dealers. I believe this is the only car currently sold in the US that still has a bench seat option. :neckbeard:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

The new 2012 Impalas are hitting the dealers. I believe this is the only car currently sold in the US that still has a bench seat option. :neckbeard:
This is a new car you like? Geez, I would really hate to see the ones you think poorly of.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lowclock posted:

This is a new car you like? Geez, I would really hate to see the ones you think poorly of.

305hp, 6 speed trans, column shifter, and velour bench seats on a 3500lb full size car that will probably retail for $23k, what's not to like?

BMW 3 series GT

http://www.worldcarfans.com/111071434941/2013-bmw-3-series-gt-spied-on-the-ring-for-the-first/lowphotos#2

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
Maybe on a whole, yeah it's a boring car. But I think you missed the point that bench seats are kickin' rad, and it's sad that the only things that usually have them anymore are trucks, and I'm sure those are getting rarer.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Throatwarbler posted:

305hp, 6 speed trans, column shifter, and velour bench seats on a 3500lb full size car that will probably retail for $23k, what's not to like?

BMW 3 series GT

http://www.worldcarfans.com/111071434941/2013-bmw-3-series-gt-spied-on-the-ring-for-the-first/lowphotos#2

I know they do their best to gently caress with the lines of the car so people can't 'know' what the final product looks like. But ummm, ya that's seriously the worst BMW I've seen in a long time. I keep seeing fat American muscle car.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

BMW 3 series GT

What the gently caress is this? Haven't they learned anything from the 5-GT?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

travisray2004 posted:

What the gently caress is this? Haven't they learned anything from the 5-GT?

Clearly not. Maybe this will end up stealing 5 series sales like the 5 GT did to the 7 series. Hopefully it will have a blessedly short model life before BMW figures out the GT models and the X6 were terrible ideas and buries them all next to the copies of the ET video game.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SwashedBuckles posted:

Clearly not. Maybe this will end up stealing 5 series sales like the 5 GT did to the 7 series. Hopefully it will have a blessedly short model life before BMW figures out the GT models and the X6 were terrible ideas and buries them all next to the copies of the ET video game.
I agree on the useless X6, but the GT models are more of a good concept that's badly executed. Big hatches are really useful all-rounders - what they should have ended up with is something like a Saab 9000 or 9-5 hatch, only RWD and more powerful, which would have been awesome. What they did end up with? Not so much.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

It's still front wheel drive and is one of the most boring looking automobiles I've ever seen, and continues to bastardize one of GM's best names. I don't know who's buying them besides fleets and senior citizens. I had a fresh 2008 as a rental car once and the only way I could describe driving it would be "Bluhhhh".

Throatwarbler posted:

BMW should just give up this crap already. This and that other GT just end up looking like small SUVs. They've already demonstrated in the past that they know how to make beautiful and functional wagons tourings out of their normal cars, so why are they loving it up now? When people say "wagons are gay and ugly and I would not buy one", chances are good they're thinking about poo poo like wooden-stickered Roadmasters, not e34 or e36 tourings.

(No I'm not trying to hate on roadmasters)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lowclock posted:

When people say "wagons are gay and ugly and I would not buy one", chances are good they're thinking about poo poo like wooden-stickered Roadmasters, not e34 or e36 tourings.

If people did like those in the US, they would sell better.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

If people did like those in the US, they would sell better.

Crossovers are so drat close to being wagons that isn't really room in most car lineups for both. I can't think of a reason that Toyota would make a Camry wagon when the Rav4 is a wagon-like body that has identical length and width dimensions and engine options as the Camry.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Lowclock posted:

It's still front wheel drive and is one of the most boring looking automobiles I've ever seen, and continues to bastardize one of GM's best names. I don't know who's buying them besides fleets and senior citizens. I had a fresh 2008 as a rental car once and the only way I could describe driving it would be "Bluhhhh".

BMW should just give up this crap already. This and that other GT just end up looking like small SUVs. They've already demonstrated in the past that they know how to make beautiful and functional wagons tourings out of their normal cars, so why are they loving it up now? When people say "wagons are gay and ugly and I would not buy one", chances are good they're thinking about poo poo like wooden-stickered Roadmasters, not e34 or e36 tourings.

(No I'm not trying to hate on roadmasters)

I don't think people are thinking about fake wood Roadmasters. I think they just really don't like wagons which is why Audi Avants and BMW Touring don't sell that well. They'd rather buy SUVs. I happen to love hatchbacks and wagons so I don't think that but I'm not the one with the money for a new BMW or Audi.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motor trend just tested both the ecoboost and 6.2 f-150s, surprisingly, the ecoboost is quicker than the 6.2 even though the 3.5 had a 3.55 and the 6.2 had the 3.73, probably from being 600lbs lighter.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1106_2011_ford_f_150_lariat_ecoboost_first_test/specs_and_pricing.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1107_2011_ford_f_150_harley_davidson_edition_first_test/index.html

I took a 5.0 to vancouver through the mountains, and absolutely need one but i'm not quite sure if i can give up the V8 growl for the turbo torque.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

I can't think of a reason that Toyota would make a Camry wagon when the Rav4 is a wagon-like body that has identical length and width dimensions and engine options as the Camry.
That and they have the Venza, which is the Camry wagon for all intents and purposes. I have no problem with people wanting tall, boaty wagons/crossovers. Whatever works for them.

Powershift posted:

Motor trend just tested both the ecoboost and 6.2 f-150s, surprisingly, the ecoboost is quicker than the 6.2 even though the 3.5 had a 3.55 and the 6.2 had the 3.73, probably from being 600lbs lighter.
Where does all the weight come from?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Where does all the weight come from?

The V6 is a Lariat 4x2 and the 6.2l is a 4x4 Harley Davidson.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The V6 is a Lariat 4x2 and the 6.2l is a 4x4 Harley Davidson.

Right, but is that all? I know AWD systems can be heavy, but jeez. I thought the EcoBoost wasn't that light from the big heads and turbo hardware.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Right, but is that all? I know AWD systems can be heavy, but jeez. I thought the EcoBoost wasn't that light from the big heads and turbo hardware.

The engine is a larger iron block, it's got power steps, a tow package that presumably includes additional transmission cooling, bigger wheels, and it's a truck so everything including the front propshaft, front differential, etc, is going to be bigger and heavier than a car.

Footwork
May 15, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Throatwarbler posted:

i,too, yearn for the days of the 1985 pontiac 6000le

actually every 80's gm blows rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Footwork posted:

i,too, yearn for the days of the 1985 pontiac 6000le

actually every 80's gm blows rear end

The 6000 was an A-body and the Impala is a W-body?

According to Wiki in the 80s GM was losing $2k for every W-body they made, keeping the W-body in production until 2015 is just their way of giving back to the community.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

kimbo305 posted:

Couldn't be _that_ bad. Otherwise the Fusion would have a beam suspension out back, too.

My guess is that it'd just be an organizational hassle to make some proportion (custom orders) of Mustangs IRS on the assembly line.
Sure it could be that bad. That's time your paid mechanics aren't working on building another car, and money that is being taken out of the production budget. To cover those costs, plus whatever other overhead I'm just not thinking of, means that any car's system is going to cost more than the sum of its parts.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gently caress BMW and gently caress this car. The 5 GT makes me angry and this certainly will too.

On the bright side, the new M5 is hilarious. We were passed on the autobahn by a camo'd up 5 series, noticed quad exhausts and a big diff brace. Proceeded to get along side it and snap away, the dude floored it and it absolutely vanished. Sounded amazingly nice too.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Throatwarbler posted:

BMW 3 series GT

Holy poo poo those tail-lights, anyone else notice how far they stick out from the body?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Holy poo poo those tail-lights, anyone else notice how far they stick out from the body?

They camo the lights too.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Throatwarbler posted:

It's like a ford mondeo but less exciting.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

wav3form posted:

I don't think people are thinking about fake wood Roadmasters. I think they just really don't like wagons which is why Audi Avants and BMW Touring don't sell that well. They'd rather buy SUVs. I happen to love hatchbacks and wagons so I don't think that but I'm not the one with the money for a new BMW or Audi.

I don't think people really put that much thought into it. What I think it is is the fact that since the 70s a wagon has been associated with hauling groceries and soccer moms, or grandpa driving around the kids for the most part. I'd be willing to bet that in another 5-10 years SUVs will have the same stigma (universally, that is), just like minivans recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

Sure it could be that bad. That's time your paid mechanics aren't working on building another car, and money that is being taken out of the production budget. To cover those costs, plus whatever other overhead I'm just not thinking of, means that any car's system is going to cost more than the sum of its parts.

You're agreeing with me on the cost of switching between solid and IRS axles. But I don't think you're disagreeing that just IRS installs would be cheap enough.