Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Powers posted:

Anyone else goig to be at the WFTDA ref clinic this weekend in Boston?

How about anyone coming to Roller Consolation in NH later this month?

First official WFTDA clinic in Australia, and I can't afford to fly to fly to Brisbane :smith:

In happier news I've head reffing the first interstate bout in my state this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rules publication:
http://wftda.com/rules/publications/prejam-positioning

Very short of it: If a team lines up behind the line, jam starts, jam ends, official time out, they all get IP minors, pivot gets IP major, 30 seconds to next jam.

Thank god.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr. Powers posted:

Rules publication:
http://wftda.com/rules/publications/prejam-positioning

Very short of it: If a team lines up behind the line, jam starts, jam ends, official time out, they all get IP minors, pivot gets IP major, 30 seconds to next jam.

Thank god.

I was just coming here to post this. Clarification: people can still poodle individually, the jam only gets called off if a majority of blockers are not "in position", defined as between the jam line and the pivot line.

It's nice that the closed the loophole, but this seems like a weirdly specific way to do it. Like they made a rule specifically to stop people from doing one thing that resulted from a hole in the ruleset to begin with.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
It's definitely written as a band-aid, but it's better than nothing.

It hadn't come up yet in my league (thank god), but it ends the theorycrafting on the subject that was making my head swim.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Everything between rules revisions is a band aid, and I'd rather have specific band aids than wider reaching patches that open up new loopholes.

Isabell Iam
Jul 25, 2007
The proud proprietor of the wax museum.
Hi everyone. I'm so glad to see there is a roller derby thread, and that it's in the sports forum!

I'm a skater for the Chicago Outfit. Not playing in Pittsburgh this weekend, unfortunately, but our entire league is extremely excited for such a huge opportunity! Our A-team played a FANTASTIC game against Arch Rival last weekend and we're hoping to carry that into this weekend :)

I'm glad WFTDA bandaided what needed to be bandaided there.

Has anyone here gotten to witness/play in/ref any of the no-minors games? I'd love to hear your take on it. I'm a pretty big proponent of the no-minors ruleset in theory but I haven't actually gotten to see a game yet.

Vintage Vixen
Jul 30, 2008
I'm visiting Pittsburgh (from Phoenix - I'm part of the Arizona Derby Dames) so I get to see the Steel City Derby Demons/Chicago Outfit bouts tomorrow. Can't wait!

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Woah, I had my first training session today and it kicked my rear end. But it was so much fun. I love this sport.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
So um, yeah...

http://www.justin.tv/mcwheely/b/290413509

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

WindyMan posted:

So um, yeah...

http://www.justin.tv/mcwheely/b/290413509

This kind of stuff will really put a cap on how popular the sport becomes.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Isabell Iam posted:

Has anyone here gotten to witness/play in/ref any of the no-minors games? I'd love to hear your take on it. I'm a pretty big proponent of the no-minors ruleset in theory but I haven't actually gotten to see a game yet.

My league played a no-minors bout at ECE but I wasn't able to watch it just yet. So far it it seems like it's "looks pretty good but there are some glaring things that they may want to fine-tune."

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I thought I should mention that the league I founded a few months ago is growing and as of yesterday we finally have an indoor facility. It was perfect timing because with the ridiculous amount of rain we've been getting in central Florida we were missing every other practice at least. Despite hundreds of phone calls in the months before, one single phone call a week ago was to the perfect person and a meeting yesterday was all it took to put things in place. Now we just have to brave one more week of rain to start skating indoors next Tuesday.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ODC posted:

This kind of stuff will really put a cap on how popular the sport becomes.

I really cannot fathom a motive for BOTH teams to want to stand still for a whole jam other than "I hate this sport and want it to die out".

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Dominion posted:

I really cannot fathom a motive for BOTH teams to want to stand still for a whole jam other than "I hate this sport and want it to die out".
:eng101: Strategy!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

downtimejesus posted:

:eng101: Strategy!

Tragedy

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Isabell Iam posted:

Hi everyone. I'm so glad to see there is a roller derby thread, and that it's in the sports forum!

I'm a skater for the Chicago Outfit. Not playing in Pittsburgh this weekend, unfortunately, but our entire league is extremely excited for such a huge opportunity! Our A-team played a FANTASTIC game against Arch Rival last weekend and we're hoping to carry that into this weekend :)

I'm glad WFTDA bandaided what needed to be bandaided there.

The Syndicate played a hell of a game against the Hurtin', and I was really really worried about the outcome until the last 15 minutes of play.

Isabell Iam
Jul 25, 2007
The proud proprietor of the wax museum.

ODC posted:

in central Florida

Where in central Florida? My parents live in Osceola County and I'd love to practice with another league whenever I'm visiting them, but last time I looked, the only league in the Orlando area is OSDA and not a WFTDA league :/

bgreman, we would have loved to win but we're darn proud of our performance. I wish I could have been there. Hoping that we'll blow up NC regionals this year like Minnesota did last year! (by we, I mean the league -- I'm still a B-team skater, but I'm hoping that'll change in the next couple of years) The Outfit's come a long way. We're really starting to prove ourselves on a national level and we're finally getting some decent recognition in the Chicago area too. We're a lot smaller since we don't have home teams that play against each other, and the other league in Chicago has been around longer and has the benefit of more name recognition.

As far as no-starts are concerned, and bgreman and Vintage Vixen I'm sure you noticed this in Pittsburgh, we've been using the no pack knee starts a LOT for several different reasons -- a major reason being that no-starts are the worst loving thing ever and the knee start makes them all but impossible. I'd be a big fan of a rules revision that would send the jammers off no more than 10 seconds after the first whistle.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Isabell Iam posted:

Where in central Florida? My parents live in Osceola County and I'd love to practice with another league whenever I'm visiting them, but last time I looked, the only league in the Orlando area is OSDA and not a WFTDA league :/

We are a MADE league and we're Co-ed. That being said, we've had several visiting skaters including one from WFTDA who loved practicing with us. Our new facility is in Kissimmee, which is in Osceola County.

E-mail me at pdriggett@floridaderbyleague.com if you're interested in coming whenever.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Took a short notice trip out to Utica, NY this weekend with Granite State Roller Derby. Anyone here there? I can't remember where everyone is. We should have some sort of roll call in the OP or something.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
Our league (Mountain City Rollers, based in New Plymouth, New Zealand) has our first self organised bout this weekend, as the only ref we currently have I'm organising the refs and NSOs, it's hard work and I fully respect anyone who does this on a regular basis.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Took a short notice trip out to Utica, NY this weekend with Granite State Roller Derby. Anyone here there? I can't remember where everyone is. We should have some sort of roll call in the OP or something.
I'm in Utica, but I went to Rochester to watch their doubleheader this weekend. The Quadfathers are the unofficial bro squad of Central New York Roller Derby though(based in Rome, NY though we all live in Utica anyway, :iiam:), not the Utica Rollergirls, so I don't really watch them much.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

downtimejesus posted:

I'm in Utica, but I went to Rochester to watch their doubleheader this weekend. The Quadfathers are the unofficial bro squad of Central New York Roller Derby though(based in Rome, NY though we all live in Utica anyway, :iiam:), not the Utica Rollergirls, so I don't really watch them much.

I'm also in upstate New York! Ithaca! I think the SufferJets are playing Roc City soon, which should be a good game!

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

scorpiobean posted:

I'm also in upstate New York! Ithaca! I think the SufferJets are playing Roc City soon, which should be a good game!
We have a doubleheader this Saturday, CNYRD home team championships and Quadfathers vs Capital District Trauma Authority, doors at 4:30, first whistle at 5:30, so if you're not doing anything, stop by! (and I'm probably jamming first, gently caress me)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

downtimejesus posted:

We have a doubleheader this Saturday, CNYRD home team championships and Quadfathers vs Capital District Trauma Authority, doors at 4:30, first whistle at 5:30, so if you're not doing anything, stop by! (and I'm probably jamming first, gently caress me)

Anne Persand is going to this, I believe. I met her at the Boston clinic.

Reffin' Ain't Easy (I think this is the guy's name) talked to me at half-time. There is some NHRD/CNYRD history that was before my time. If you ever want to hear a story, ask some CNYRD refs what they think about NHRD. I'd be really interested to hear the other perspective.

Note: It would basically be drama mongering to ask about it, so it's probably a bad idea. There's enough of this in most leagues without poking to hear about it.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Anne Persand is going to this, I believe. I met her at the Boston clinic.

Reffin' Ain't Easy (I think this is the guy's name) talked to me at half-time. There is some NHRD/CNYRD history that was before my time. If you ever want to hear a story, ask some CNYRD refs what they think about NHRD. I'd be really interested to hear the other perspective.

Note: It would basically be drama mongering to ask about it, so it's probably a bad idea. There's enough of this in most leagues without poking to hear about it.
I've heard the story, and its hilarious to me since drama is retarded. I think Anne Persand is actually the head ref for the guys game, last time I checked.

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
I've been internalising a really complicated situation in my head

Kaine posted:

Our league (Mountain City Rollers, based in New Plymouth, New Zealand) has our first self organised bout this weekend, as the only ref we currently have I'm organising the refs and NSOs, it's hard work and I fully respect anyone who does this on a regular basis.

awesome - hope it went well for you! (I skate for Dead End Derby in ChCh)

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

Lady Hardcastle posted:

awesome - hope it went well for you! (I skate for Dead End Derby in ChCh)

I'm hoping it goes well, stress levels are pretty high here.

Say hi to Evil, Bitch, and Panther from Omen for me.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

downtimejesus posted:

Oh man I wish I could. :( I'll be at Triple-D in Oz this weekend but just as a bench coach. I'd be playing but they have a ten maximum public bout requirement for skaters and I'm way over. :(

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

scorpiobean posted:

Oh man I wish I could. :( I'll be at Triple-D in Oz this weekend but just as a bench coach. I'd be playing but they have a ten maximum public bout requirement for skaters and I'm way over. :(
One of the guys on the team is one of the event coordinators for that and is still playing, he's just bolting after the men's bout, JUST SAYING.

Edit: then again, the schedule for the Triple D seems kinda empty on Saturday night, I wonder why that is.

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 26, 2011

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
I've been internalising a really complicated situation in my head

Kaine posted:

I'm hoping it goes well, stress levels are pretty high here.

Say hi to Evil, Bitch, and Panther from Omen for me.

Filthy Habits fan then? haha... will do :)
erm, and sorry hope it *goes* well, not went well... totally read that wrong.
did anyone from your league go over to Melbourne last week?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Anyone else going to the Blood & Thunder Roller Derby Training Camp in Ft. Lauderdale? I'll be there for both Coaching camp days, the 27th and 28th of August.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I'm having the hardest time creating a derby name. Does anyone have tips or suggestions?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm having the hardest time creating a derby name. Does anyone have tips or suggestions?

What do you do for a living? What is your favorite movie? TV Show? Sports team? Hobby?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I'm an engineering student and PCB machinist, movie would be Wild at Heart, TV show is Twin Peaks and True Blood (I'm addicted to the hot raunchy vampires), I don't really follow teams, I'm more of a martial arts & archery girl. I knit, crochet, bake, and play bass and keyboards when I have the time.

There's plenty of material, but I just plain suck at names. The last band I had never got one, we just used a crappy generated name.

I was thinking about using my name, Ana, or Anna, for it, but I can't think of anything I like. The closest I got to liking something was A. Horne, but no one is going to get that around here, and it isn't really creative.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Sweet As Sin posted:

If I were a superhero, what would my name be? Personally, I have to own a name. It's like an alter-ego. Announcers are going to be calling you this in front of potentially hundreds of people. This is probably going to be on your back for a few years, and you will be addressed by this name. Don't force yourself to be some modification of your name, go way off in left field. It doesn't even have to be a formal name, it could be a concept.

I'm Wildstyle #215, named after the 1983 graffiti movie. My helmet has graffiti stickers all over it from Philly(215's the area code) sticker artists(Bob Will Reign!, El Toro, etc). I'm flashy, borderline absurd, and wear ridiculous patterned shorts. I wear a cup on the outside of my pants that says "Support Men's Roller Derby".

Basically, pick an idea, have fun with it, and run with it.

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 29, 2011

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

Lady Hardcastle posted:

Filthy Habits fan then? haha... will do :)
erm, and sorry hope it *goes* well, not went well... totally read that wrong.
did anyone from your league go over to Melbourne last week?

Not specifically a fan but those are the chch skaters that we interacted with the most at last years Blood and Thunder camp.

Yes, we had an observer go over to melbourne to soak up all that Texan awesomeness.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm an engineering student and PCB machinist, movie would be Wild at Heart, TV show is Twin Peaks and True Blood (I'm addicted to the hot raunchy vampires), I don't really follow teams, I'm more of a martial arts & archery girl. I knit, crochet, bake, and play bass and keyboards when I have the time.

There's plenty of material, but I just plain suck at names. The last band I had never got one, we just used a crappy generated name.

I was thinking about using my name, Ana, or Anna, for it, but I can't think of anything I like. The closest I got to liking something was A. Horne, but no one is going to get that around here, and it isn't really creative.

We had a skater named Sookie Smackhouse in our league.

The best names are the ones that have a play on words. Of course it's your choice but the ones that are based on the skater's real names aren't all that fun for the most part. Good luck!

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

My name is Jiminy Krimpet, and I am a Falcoholic.
^ DC?

I vaguely recall someone from DC having a Sookie-inspired name.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

^ DC?

I vaguely recall someone from DC having a Sookie-inspired name.

DC has a Sookie Slaughterhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
When all else fails, just throw tough-sounding words together. I suggest Laserfist Bazooka.

• Locked thread