Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I did that too. Mine was that Jon dies?

I was only moused over for a second I want to talk about what I've read so far drat it! Currently 43% in, and I'd love to see Roose kill Ramsay, he doesn't seem to like him that much. Seriously, gently caress Ramsay Bolton, he's the main antagonist for me now. Also, Manderly/Glover rebellion, gently caress yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gangringo posted:

Yeah, I realized that soon after I wrote it, still (Dragons spoilers) no matter what it takes our viewpoint away from the wall. Even if Jon comes back there's no way he's going to be able to hang out around Castle Black. The whole Others vs. Night's Watch confrontation has been building up since the very first chapter of the very first book. If it all happens "off camera" it's not being bold or defying convention, it's just being a cock-tease and poor narrative. This is of course all conjecture, maybe GRRM has it all planned out and will dazzle us with his magic.
Dolorous Edd will become a POV character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Habibi posted:

I get the feeling he's going to be the only survivor of the inevitable slaughter of the Night's Watch by the Others.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ADWD spoilers re: Jon DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ADWD someone pointed out that in his dreams, it shows him turning from a man, into a wolf, and into a man, and also standing on top of the wall fighting spiders crawling up it with a fiery sword. So there's some textual evidence as to where his story arc will go, who knows if that's determinative though

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

You shouldnt be reading anything about the series until you finished all books.

Yeah I know, it really ruined Storm going into it knowing more or less exactly what the Red Wedding was. I learned my lesson and stayed out of all the spoiler threads until I finished, and I'm definitely not heading into the other thread until I'm done, I'm just in the habit of mousing over spoilers considering in most series I don't care, and forgot myself for a second.

quote:

I did that too. Mine was that Jon dies?

I was only moused over for a second I want to talk about what I've read so far drat it! Currently 43% in, and I'd love to see Roose kill Ramsay, he doesn't seem to like him that much. Seriously, gently caress Ramsay Bolton, he's the main antagonist for me now. Also, Manderly/Glover rebellion, gently caress yeah!
Yeah, same. At least I'm definitely going to keep reading just to find out the details. And Yeah, Ramsay needs to die in a fire, which, considering Stannis is his main opposition, is quite likely.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Wait, didn't Ramsay (end of ADWD) kill Stannis already? The letter sure as hell implied it, and he would have been in a good position to do so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

pigdog posted:

Wait, didn't Ramsay (end of ADWD) kill Stannis already? The letter sure as hell implied it, and he would have been in a good position to do so.
That letter is probably full of bullshit (mostly) and no, he's not. Stannis knows that the Karstarks are out to betray him, while the Boltons don't know the Manderly's are out to betray them.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 18, 2011

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pigdog posted:

ADWD spoilers consider the source. I doubt Stannis is dead

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've been reading through the books (the newest paper back releases) and I've noticed sort of a lot of typos, sometimes funny ones like "rape their windows." I'm not the best proof reader either so I suspect I'm missing a bunch as well. Are all the book versions like this?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^ Don't spoil the great windowrape of Casterly Rock man.

Something else that's interesting about that spoiler is that (end of DWD spoilers) Roose isn't the one writing the letter. I can't see him letting Ramsay send something like that if he was aware of it. So I'm guessing that Roose is indisposed, dead or have somehow been separated from his son.

But other than that, yeah. A lot of that letter is quite likely lies

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 18, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

computer parts posted:

I get the feeling he's going to be the only survivor of the inevitable slaughter of the Night's Watch by the Others.
Even the Others won't be able to penetrate his wit.

hypocrite lecteur posted:

ADWD spoilers re: Jon DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ADWD someone pointed out that in his dreams, it shows him turning from a man, into a wolf, and into a man, and also standing on top of the wall fighting spiders crawling up it with a fiery sword. So there's some textual evidence as to where his story arc will go, who knows if that's determinative though
Though, knowing how dreams/visions really end up playing out, I'm envisioning that his man-wolf-man cycle ends with him looking like the Sadam/dog hybrid from Hot Shots: Part Deux.

Xander77 posted:

That letter is probably full of bullshit (mostly) and no, he's not. Stannis knows that the Karstarks are out to betray him, while the Boltons don't know the Manderly's are out to betray them.
May want to spoiler this post, buddy. I'm trying to remember, and having difficulty despite just finishing the book last night, but do we know for a fact that Stannis is aware of Arnolf's treachery? I want to say he sent the info on to Deepwood Motte, by way of which the Braavosi banker and Asha's crew came to Stannis, but I can't recall with absolute certainty.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Page 729 and Oh my, Zombie Gregor in the Kingsguard? This is pretty amazing.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Well, Jon just executed Janos, and I'm sold. I'm only a quarter of a way through, but the book delivers. I renounce my hatred, and I renounce my Wildcards. I've looked upon the face of GRRM, and he was a good guy. He seems genuinely thrilled by the reception the book has been met with, and my faith is renewed: he's going to finish the series. It's going to be great.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Habibi posted:

Totally down with this. He's my favorite one of Jon's homies on the wall.

"Edd, get me a chopping block," Jon said.

Seven hells, thought Edd. A chopping block. I'll probably get a splinter in my finger from carrying it. Slynt's blood will probably get all over my clothes too. Jon's never done this before, either. It'll probably take him three or four swings. We'll be out here all day doing this, and it's cold...

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Dolorous Edd is basically Eeyore.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Page 729 and Oh my, Zombie Gregor in the Kingsguard? This is pretty amazing.

Except it's all a big goddamn tease because all he does is (epilogue) "not eat, drink, sleep, or poo poo," all while being huge. Gregor wasn't an interesting character when he was alive except for when he was doing the one thing he was good at. He's even less interesting when dead.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
End of Dance spoilers: Jon isn't dead. He is Azhor Ahai about to be re-born. I mean in the Milesandre chapter she's all'What the gently caress R'hllor, I'm trying to see Azhor but all you'll show me is Jon Snow'. I thought that was a pretty eye roll moment myself, but I guess some people missed it and think he's actually dead?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

End of Dance spoilers: Jon isn't dead. He is Azhor Ahai about to be re-born. I mean in the Milesandre chapter she's all'What the gently caress R'hllor, I'm trying to see Azhor but all you'll show me is Jon Snow'. I thought that was a pretty eye roll moment myself, but I guess some people missed it and think he's actually dead?

Yeah I thought it was odd that she wasn't catching that herself. "Everytime I try to look for AA I see Jon Snow. Ergo, something must be wrong with the visions I'm getting because I know Stannis is AA even though I always see Jon Snow.." I was going to say I thought this was out of character for her, but really she's sort of been deluding herself for a while so maybe not.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

factorialite posted:

I'm willing to bet that Jon isn't dead, it's usually pretty apparent when a character dies, and even then (Catelyn cough) it doesn't alway stick.

Yeah, all we really know is that he's been stabbed and is down/unconscious. People have survived worse things even without having easy access to a red priestess or warging powers and Martin has pulled worse fakeouts already.

quote:

Plus, I'm sure we'll get Tormund Giantsbane as a POV character in Winds, I'd be incredibly shocked if we didn't.

That guy is an awesome character already and I'd certainly like to see more of him.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Drunkboxer posted:

I've been reading through the books (the newest paper back releases) and I've noticed sort of a lot of typos, sometimes funny ones like "rape their windows." I'm not the best proof reader either so I suspect I'm missing a bunch as well. Are all the book versions like this?

I noticed 2 or 3 typos in the Kindle version of ADWD

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Glad you lot are liking it. The reviews on Amazon seem to be skewed towards hating the book as being subpar, and barely above AFFC in terms of plot advancement and excitement.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Glad you lot are liking it. The reviews on Amazon seem to be skewed towards hating the book as being subpar, and barely above AFFC in terms of plot advancement and excitement.

In my opinion at starts to get good too late. By the time I was really interested in what was going to happen next, the book was over

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Groke posted:

That guy is an awesome character already and I'd certainly like to see more of him.

Yeah we can guess which part of him you'd like to see more of. ;-*

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I want a Ser Pounce POV. It would be more interesting than the Quentyn POVs, and just as important to the overall story.

Seriously, what was the point of that character?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Adding conflict between Daenerys and Dorne. Dany spurned Quentyn and indirectly killed him, which probably makes Doran's support of her a lot less likely. Particularly with another Targaryen hanging out in the Stormlands.

vvv: Doran would probably see it as Daenerys forcing Quentyn's hand, but who knows.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 19, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Quentyn was a retard who forced his way into dragon cave while Dany wasn't even there. His death won't be difficult to explain, even though the Dornish do hold notorious grudges.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

In my opinion at starts to get good too late. By the time I was really interested in what was going to happen next, the book was over

The beginning and the end of the book are much stronger than the long middle.

I feel like it was a great read all around, but could have been 600 pages without losing much.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just finished a AFFC and enjoyed it immensely but man, do I hate Cersei. Which is why I enjoyed the end of her and Jaime's POVs so much.

Some thoughts.

The Hound: So it's pretty much assumed the Gravedigger is Sandor, right? The whole "He is at rest" diverting statement seems to confirm it with the not insignificant reference to the dog coming up to him. It still seems like an unfortunate way to resolve a major character, but at least he found some peace I guess.

Beric: Yep, I told you he was going to get taken care of as soon as I liked him. I thought exploring his character would have been really fascinating and I'm pretty disappointed on how he gave his breath up to Cat. This whole book seems like a ton of "off-screen" deaths. The Hound, Beric, Davos (who probably isn't dead, but whatever), and Gregor immediately jump to mind.

Brienne: Had the most enjoyable story in the book for me, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to her story. . . one day.

Anyway, on to ADWD! Soon I'll be caught up and just as bitter as everyone else. . . Neat.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kneel Before Zog posted:

It's really way, way better than the Amazon reviews make it seem. I never take those seriously.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, it was better than AFFC. People only dislike it because it took so long and they were expecting to open the book and have a dragon literally fly out of it. It was a really good book.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Yeah, it was better than AFFC. People only dislike it because it took so long and they were expecting to open the book and have a dragon literally fly out of it. It was a really good book.

I dunno; I enjoyed it but I feel like it opened so many new threads that we could be looking at "oh, did I say seven books?" territory.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Habibi posted:

May want to spoiler this post, buddy. I'm trying to remember, and having difficulty despite just finishing the book last night, but do we know for a fact that Stannis is aware of Arnolf's treachery? I want to say he sent the info on to Deepwood Motte, by way of which the Braavosi banker and Asha's crew came to Stannis, but I can't recall with absolute certainty.

Stannis stuff Theon (and possibly Jeyne) knew about the Karstarks, and probably would have warned Stannis (though it's questionable whether Stannis would listen to Theon Turncloak). Most likely, the only true part of the letter was the stuff about Mance.

FairGame posted:

I dunno; I enjoyed it but I feel like it opened so many new threads that we could be looking at "oh, did I say seven books?" territory.

The only new thread was Dany going east rather than west. Consider how much gets done in each of the books, I don't think it will require another book.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 19, 2011

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Stannis stuff Theon (and possibly Jeyne) knew about the Karstarks, and probably would have warned Stannis (though it's questionable whether Stannis would listen to Theon Turncloak). Most likely, the only true part of the letter was the stuff about Mance.

The only new thread was Dany going east rather than west. Consider how much gets done in each of the books, I don't think it will require another book.

We better get a good loving look at Asshai

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You're missing an enormous loving thread. Oh hey, sup baby Aegon; nice of you to join the party 5 books in and become a major player.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Every book has been back-loaded though. Maybe not to the extent you're talking about, but still. I know that means the end will hit like a loving freight train but I still wish he wouldn't do it. I was a underwhelmed by ASoS because basically nothing happened for 2/3 of the book, plus I had spoiled myself on The Red Wedding. Well, I figured out Catelyn was going to die based on the chapter list on ToTH, but Robb dying was a surprise. ASoS having a reputation as the "action" book is odd to me because it was just as much of a setup book as ACoK was. Every book has been a setup book. Which is annoying since GRRM will die before finishing the series.

I also spoiled a couple other things in the book just by reading ahead. I've spoiled myself on a couple things about ADWD too (Jon executing Janos Slynt and Jon dying, plus I already knew Tyrion gets kidnapped by slavers) because I couldn't resist mousing over spoilers. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 19, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

FairGame posted:

You're missing an enormous loving thread. Oh hey, sup baby Aegon; nice of you to join the party 5 books in and become a major player.
Yeah, that did come a bit out of nowhere.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

FairGame posted:

It's still part of the main narrative. It's a thread, per se, but unlike the one I mentioned that plot point is just weaving in with other ones like Dorne and King's Landing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I'm going with the theory proposed in the DWD thread that that letter came from Mance.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Habibi posted:

I'm going with the theory proposed in the DWD thread that that letter came from Mance.

I'm sorry but I still don't see the point of Mance sending the letter. He is almost certainly captured since Jeyne screamed at her escape. In the letter, he asks for the people close to Stannis and the people close to Mance. What is the point of having them sent to a hostile Winterfell with no protection where he is a captive? Even if he isn't a captive, what is the point in having them sent there? And if they aren't sent, well he doesn't have the people to act out on the threat. So why would he send it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Hell Diver posted:

The Hound: So it's pretty much assumed the Gravedigger is Sandor, right? The whole "He is at rest" diverting statement seems to confirm it with the not insignificant reference to the dog coming up to him. It still seems like an unfortunate way to resolve a major character, but at least he found some peace I guess.

I wouldn't say for sure that we've seen the last of the hound. He could spend the rest of his days digging graves or he could nurse his wounds for a while and then return to the story with his meanest elements all worshipped out or something. I mean GRRM is not really the type who would mind just letting the reader assume he died after Arya left him.

• Locked thread