Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

I've never played unpatched but as is my understanding it not only makes the game just playable, but a classic we are still talking about over 6 years later. And it accesses previously unused content and addresses balance issues. It may not be the best game mechanics wise, but some of the best game dialogue, voice acting and it just...personifies the feeling of being awake at 4AM.

I'm.. not trying to be sold on the game, I'll download the patch if I play the game again, I'm just curious if I'll have to suffer through 10fps again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I'm.. not trying to be sold on the game, I'll download the patch if I play the game again, I'm just curious if I'll have to suffer through 10fps again.

I had tons of really bad fps issues when I last played. Turns out my old graphics drivers were not uninstalled correctly so I uninstalled my new ones, used driver sweeper and then reinstalled them and it worked like a charm. The odd part was every other game worked perfectly but somehow Bloodlines picked up on some old poo poo leftover from an incomplete driver uninstall and that made it play hosed up.

I have lot of stories like that about this game. There are so many bugs and quirks that getting it to work on two different systems is never quite the same...

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
6 years later and I still haven't found it cheaper than $20. I want to play, but not $20 want to play.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
It's totally worth that $20, even now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

invalid posted:

6 years later and I still haven't found it cheaper than $20. I want to play, but not $20 want to play.

This is literally one of the best games ever made, $20 is nothing for it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

invalid posted:

It goes on sale on Direct2Drive pretty regularly, and just went on sale on Steam.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game is still worth full price, it's that loving good. Be a man! Do the right thing!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Echoing that. It's worth $50 today.

If you have never played it and are a western RPG fan you owe it to yourself to get this game (patch it up ohgod) and play the poo poo out of it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Gyshall posted:

This is literally one of the best games ever made, $20 is nothing for it.

Whilst simultaneously being one of the worst games ever made, at least from how it was when it shipped.

Then again, i don't regret the full price retail i paid for it when it was released and i don't regret the £10 i spent buying it again when i fancied playing it while a friend borrowed it. Still one of my favourite games ever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Odd posted:

melee will get you through bosses no problem although i don't think ANY boss gives two craps about obfuscate. Feel free to correct though!

I THINK Wesp removes Bishop Vick's immunity to Obfuscate, but I could be mistaken.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

invalid posted:

I bought it brand new and then bought it again on Steam in December, it's that good. Buy it!

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Ok, you guys sucked me in. I've got the latest Wesp patch and the game sitting here, and now I'm sitting in Santa Monica as a Ventrue but can't help but second guessing every decision I've made with the character. I was going to an intimidation dominate aristocratic type, but feeding has been especially a pain in the rear end early on.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

invalid posted:

Ok, you guys sucked me in. I've got the latest Wesp patch and the game sitting here, and now I'm sitting in Santa Monica as a Ventrue but can't help but second guessing every decision I've made with the character. I was going to an intimidation dominate aristocratic type, but feeding has been especially a pain in the rear end early on.

Ventrue might be a... pain... in the sewers a ways in the future. You can probably get a faux-aristocratic intimidate type with a Toreador. Or a Tremere, who actually have Dominate and could very, very possibly come from aristocratic stock.

I wouldn't second guess your decisions too much either way. Just enjoy your first playthrough of an amazing game.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

You know, it's been too long since I last played this. I think I'll go Malk and use the Clan patch, throw any decent looking reskins at it to change the experience even further (a lot of the generic NPC reskins not included in the latest Clan patch look pretty great).

It's a god drat crime that no further WoD games have been made.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Pope Guilty posted:

I THINK Wesp removes Bishop Vick's immunity to Obfuscate, but I could be mistaken.

No, you're right. I just forgot. I wouldn't bet on the bosses after him though

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

invalid posted:

Toreador. Seduction, domination, what's the difference if both are only to make people heel to your needs. As a bonus a toreador buffed in both melee and ranged combat is basically an unstoppable killing machine that at level 5 celerity can clear a locale before its inhabitants realize what happened. A toreador's unlifelong endeavor is to leave a lasting impression on those to whom he deigns to bestow a glimpse of his magnificence, and I'd say a roomful of men frozen in time watching you eat one of their buddies at the speed of a quantum event is as lasting an impression as most can hope for.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Boss immunity to obfuscate is why stealth is important even if you are a malk or a nos. The best way to kill the kuejin lady is to sneak through the portal at the end and slouch on over behind her, then shoot her until she dies. She won't even notice you are there or even get a healthbar over her head until she suddenly falls over dead. I hate that fight otherwise.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Can you feed on any non-human bosses? I can't remember.

Edit: Humanoid non-humans I mean, obviously. Like the fleshcrafter and the non-frog form of the kuei-jin mistress.

Satanos fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 23, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Satanos posted:

Can you feed on any non-human bosses? I can't remember.

Edit: Humanoid non-humans I mean, obviously. Like the fleshcrafter and the non-frog form of the kuei-jin mistress.

Nope. Sadly you can only feed on the gigantic Tzimisce guy in Redemption. (and it's pretty hilarious)

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Re-rolled a Toreador, and man, you guys weren't joking about how awesome Celerity can be. I liked Dominate but it took so much drat blood to use the good stuff like Suicide, but with Celerity you can do a flying ninja feed to make up for what you used. Loving it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

invalid posted:

Re-rolled a Toreador, and man, you guys weren't joking about how awesome Celerity can be. I liked Dominate but it took so much drat blood to use the good stuff like Suicide, but with Celerity you can do a flying ninja feed to make up for what you used. Loving it.

You should have been using Fortitude. Then you literally become bulletproof and can just stroll up to guys, fill up while their buddies' bullets bounce off of you, and then continue kicking rear end.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I was for tough fights, but it was hard to resist playing a sneakier type that had people insta-die with just a look from far away.

Fun, but made the game harder, and right now I'm blowing through it much easier.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

You know what the best part of Malk runs is in this game? Not just the future sight, but specifically the part in the end game where your character suddenly recognises Cain and freaks the gently caress out in the cab. And screw anyone who says it's not actually Cain.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I started a new game recently, as Gangrel. Started okay, doing good... then I got pwned by Mr. freaking Gimball.

I AM SHAME.

Also, is Camarilla-mode Animalism worth much? The level 5 power looks good, but...

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Liesmith posted:

Boss immunity to obfuscate is why stealth is important even if you are a malk or a nos. The best way to kill the kuejin lady is to sneak through the portal at the end and slouch on over behind her, then shoot her until she dies. She won't even notice you are there or even get a healthbar over her head until she suddenly falls over dead. I hate that fight otherwise.

Wow, I had no idea. Totally doing this for my next run through. That fight is the worst part of the game for me. Even the sewers and the dull endless office portion at the end are much more bearable than that fight. Do any of the later patches make that more reasonable? I don't think I've patched ever since I got the game a few years back. Once I got it working I was kind of afraid of screwing with it any more.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LaserShark posted:

I started a new game recently, as Gangrel. Started okay, doing good... then I got pwned by Mr. freaking Gimball.

I AM SHAME.

Also, is Camarilla-mode Animalism worth much? The level 5 power looks good, but...

Keep your Protean to 4. The fifth level transforms you into a cool-looking thing, but every third brawl attack has you doing this twirling around move first that doesn't add to your damage and serves no purpose but to let things hit you while you're wasting time twirling around.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 25, 2011

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Keep your Protean to 4. The fifth level transforms you into a cool-looking thing, but every third brawl attack has you doing this twirling around move first that doesn't add to your damage and serves no purpose but to let things hit you while you're wasting time twirling around.

Not to mention how buggy it is / was, i distinctly remember getting stuck in my warform, completely unable to change back. Totally ruined my gangrel playthrough.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I remember I really liked this game before, then it lost me on that horribly long and boring sewer section. I assume the patch takes care of that?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mrens posted:

I remember I really liked this game before, then it lost me on that horribly long and boring sewer section. I assume the patch takes care of that?

There's nothing that can really be done to fix that. I just no clip through it.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mrens posted:

How could it possibly fix it? It's a sewer level. Just noclip through it

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Tewratomeh posted:

On an unrelated note, maybe I'm alone here but I think a Malkavian run would be fine for a first-timer. The point of a Malkavian is that all the stuff they spew makes no sense to them. If you've already played the game, you would know exactly what you were off-handedly referring to. I think it's better to play Malkavian and then later on think back to what your character said and how it relates to the game. I think the impact's greater then.

When I first got the game, I ran through the little quiz and it picked Malkavian for me so I ran with it. I didn't know what I was saying half the time. You can kind of make sense of the conversation options after a little while, but the whole Malkavian insight really only shines on a second playthrough. The first time you play, you don't know what's going on, and if you try a Malk run, you really don't know what's going on.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I just wanted to add that I'm in Chinatown now with my first playthrough, and I have to say that this is one of the more enjoyable games I've played for a while. Thanks for steering me right!

I'm already looking forward to my next run, the obligitory Malkavian one. I wanted to do that first since I used to play pen and paper a long time back and they were always my favorite clan, but I'm glad I waited as suggested.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, good to know. But... Animalism? Any good?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Why not just open the console, type 'giftxp 500' and try it out yourself?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LaserShark posted:

Okay, good to know. But... Animalism? Any good?

Animalism is the single most powerful Discipline in the game. It's hilariously overpowered.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Oberleutnant posted:

Why not just open the console, type 'giftxp 500' and try it out yourself?

Or do the XP cheat when rolling your character, and get to experience Wesp's ~hillarious~ 4th-wall shattering dialogue that's only for cheaters!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Or do the XP cheat when rolling your character, and get to experience Wesp's ~hillarious~ 4th-wall shattering dialogue that's only for cheaters!

That's not Wesp's, Troika put that in.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I'd have been really impressed by Wesp had he managed to synthesize the voice acting, given that its a spoken line.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Can you spoil this? I don't have the game installed anymore, but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Fuzz posted:

Sorry, I did it back in ye day when there was no community patch, and that didn't happen.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Can you spoil this? I don't have the game installed anymore, but I'm curious.

I can't remember the exact text and don't have VTMB installed right now, but the gist of it is Jack being turned into the Patch Author's Sockpuppet and you get some load of guff smug guff about how you're cheating because you're really pathetic, or something.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 26, 2011

• Locked thread