Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

If you don't have one yet, get a camelback or something similar. Makes riding in brutal heat a lot easier.

This and fill it with half water and half ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
This is likely the last place I should be asking this but what percentage of your savings is too much to spend on a bike? The job market is terrible but I might be up for a pretty substantial promotion. This possibility ignited the motorcycle obsession that I kept dormant for two years while making peanuts after my last bike bit the dust. Now I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. There are preposterously overqualified people applying for the job and the chance of getting it has likely gone from 90% to 30%. I'm never going to be able to put this genie back in the bottle. So, here I am, resorting to that-which-I-make-fun-of-most: asking the internet vague questions that could be better answered by common sense. Do I blow nearly all my money on the bike of my dreams? Do I spend 3-4k on something less than the bike of my dreams? Kill me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much savings do you have?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

How much savings do you have?

What's savings ahahaha. But seriously. Other than my 401(k) I had pretty much been living paycheck to paycheck with a couple thousand in the bank (mostly due to something going wrong that requires lots of money every month or two.) However, I just sold a couple properties I was holding onto for too long and while it really only resulted in a few thousand dollars from money held in escrow I always said that the moment I had enough for a bike I was going to get one. It's been the only purchase I've had in mind since the last one bit the dust. Deep down I know I should probably just save and see where my career goes in the next year or two but I'M ONLY YOUNG ONCE GODDAMMIT.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Get something cheaper, keep cash for emergencies. Have the best of both worlds.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
When I was working I spent roughly 20% on my VFR. I'm a saver who hates debt though so the transaction was all cash. I wouldn't buy a bike any other way but I think I'm a minority.

Z3n posted:

This and fill it with half water and half ice.

I found this on amazon. Cheapest price I've found online so far and it looks like you could throw it in a tankbag or even rig up straps to make it a tankbag. I emailed camelbak for the dimensions, waiting to hear back.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

the walkin dude posted:

I'm spooked. I was preparing to go to sleep. My K5 SV was parked out front, pulled up next to the stairway leading into my townhouse, under a cover and disc-locked. I was arguing with my gf about something, and walked around my room doing so, and happened to look out the window at the street. I notice a shadowy figure standing by my bike and then walking away. Clearly he saw me through the screened, open window. I go closer to the window and see my bike's naked. I notify the gf, and we turn the lights on and go outside. The cover's bungee hooks had been cut, the cover tossed aside. Nothing done to the bike though. I decided to take the bike at 2am to the gf's apartment 5 minutes away and store it in the carport with my other bikes.

My bike had been at her apartment/carport all along until 2-3 weeks ago when I started parking it everyday at my place. I discussed w/ the gf about whether the fucktard already knew my bike was a SV650, or he was hoping for a gixxer or something. Does cutting the bungee hooks indicate he already knew, since some of the time at my apartment my bike was uncovered... hm.

The other night someone came by and stole everything out of my tail bag. They made away like kings - they got an oldddd tire gauge, some ratty dirtbike gloves, and a temporary parking permit. loving scum.

Needless to say I don't regret adding comprehensive to my insurance one bit. I can sense bigger theft happening at some point considering my bike was on my front porch at the time with the light on. Takes some big balls to still come up after that.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I've got thief coverage, of course. Just unnerving to stumble upon an imminent bike-fuckery.

What with my waffling on selling that K5 to get a Gixxer, I'm glad I'm keeping it for now. I looked up "[my town] + stolen motorcycle" and came upon a gixxer.com posting of a local's K6 outside under a cover and disc-locked that had been broken into and ridden off. How does one break into a disc lock!?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Holy gently caress I can't wait to see how nervous you are to own a gixxaaa. I don't think I could own a newer Suzuki SS if I left it outside. That poo poo would be snatched up by some fine gentleman in a van / truck in no time.

My street is a little shady - I can only imagine what it'd be like if people saw me on the most popular form of sportbikes that they know.

I try not to worry too much - I tell myself that I have theft insurance for just that reason.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

What's savings ahahaha. But seriously. Other than my 401(k) I had pretty much been living paycheck to paycheck with a couple thousand in the bank (mostly due to something going wrong that requires lots of money every month or two.) However, I just sold a couple properties I was holding onto for too long and while it really only resulted in a few thousand dollars from money held in escrow I always said that the moment I had enough for a bike I was going to get one. It's been the only purchase I've had in mind since the last one bit the dust. Deep down I know I should probably just save and see where my career goes in the next year or two but I'M ONLY YOUNG ONCE GODDAMMIT.

I'd probably spend about 2k on a good, reliable bike that I could ride. Figure another 1k in assorted maintenance, gas, gear, etc.

Don't clear out your savings for a bike. Buy something cheap and relatively reliable and keep the cash around as buffer. You'll have just as much fun on a bike you get a deal on :)

the walkin dude posted:

I've got thief coverage, of course. Just unnerving to stumble upon an imminent bike-fuckery.

What with my waffling on selling that K5 to get a Gixxer, I'm glad I'm keeping it for now. I looked up "[my town] + stolen motorcycle" and came upon a gixxer.com posting of a local's K6 outside under a cover and disc-locked that had been broken into and ridden off. How does one break into a disc lock!?

Depending on the type, hydraulic bolt cutters, or just removing the front wheel, rotor, and removing the disk that has the disk lock on it. Or picking the lock, most of them have generic keys.

This is why I say that any sort of theft prevention outside of LoJack or a GPS tracking device is useless though. And how do they know they rode it off? Could have just as easily stashed it in a van.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
After waiting for the rain to stop for so long, today I finally got a chance to ride with my altered leather 2 piece. I bought it way back when I was taking lessons and it never fitted real well.

Oh my. I will never buy a 1 or 2 piece of the rack, the difference is huge! :D

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Spending the majority of your money on an object will make you hate said object if you become super poor or need money.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I'd probably spend about 2k on a good, reliable bike that I could ride. Figure another 1k in assorted maintenance, gas, gear, etc.

Don't clear out your savings for a bike. Buy something cheap and relatively reliable and keep the cash around as buffer. You'll have just as much fun on a bike you get a deal on :)

Depending on the type, hydraulic bolt cutters, or just removing the front wheel, rotor, and removing the disk that has the disk lock on it. Or picking the lock, most of them have generic keys.

This is why I say that any sort of theft prevention outside of LoJack or a GPS tracking device is useless though. And how do they know they rode it off? Could have just as easily stashed it in a van.

I never verified this and have only heard it from one source, who heard it from a "friend" but:

He said he knew a deputy sheriff, or something like that, who caught a bike theift ring by being lucky enough to be on his porch when they pulled up to take it. It was a pretty simple yet genius set up.

A white van pulls up in front of the bike. The rear doors bust open, and at the same time a ramp is dropping down from the back, someone is getting the bike up on castor dollys. While the wheels are being taken off the ground and a ramp is prepared, a cable attached to a winch is being secured to the bike. At this point, they just have to winch it up into the van, load the ramp and shut the doors.

Again, this is all anecdote, but it seemed like a bright way to steal a bike, quick and easy. You have to get a lot closer to it than the front porch or whatever, but lots of people leave their bikes out and with a quick team I'm sure they could be there and gone in under a minute.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wife Turds: buy a bike that's in good condition, but cheap enough that it won't make a huge dent in your economy if your wad it/it burns to the ground/some fine gentlemen in a van decide they like it. Motorcycles can be a relatively cheap hobby if you ride older used non-supersport bikes.

Gnaghi posted:

I'm a saver who hates debt though so the transaction was all cash. I wouldn't buy a bike any other way but I think I'm a minority.

Same here. All purchases are made with saved money, particularly bikes and cars. I refuse to loan money when I can save up instead and I hate being in debt on my current car. There's only one loan that I'm willing to accept and that's the loan for my apartment.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I often forget that not everyone lives in the South. I'm just used to riding when the temp is in the upper 90s and 80%+ humidity.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

I never verified this and have only heard it from one source, who heard it from a "friend" but:

He said he knew a deputy sheriff, or something like that, who caught a bike theift ring by being lucky enough to be on his porch when they pulled up to take it. It was a pretty simple yet genius set up.

A white van pulls up in front of the bike. The rear doors bust open, and at the same time a ramp is dropping down from the back, someone is getting the bike up on castor dollys. While the wheels are being taken off the ground and a ramp is prepared, a cable attached to a winch is being secured to the bike. At this point, they just have to winch it up into the van, load the ramp and shut the doors.

Again, this is all anecdote, but it seemed like a bright way to steal a bike, quick and easy. You have to get a lot closer to it than the front porch or whatever, but lots of people leave their bikes out and with a quick team I'm sure they could be there and gone in under a minute.

You can do this or 3 guys can have a bike loaded in under 30 seconds if they're burly.

KozmoNaut posted:

Wife Turds: buy a bike that's in good condition, but cheap enough that it won't make a huge dent in your economy if your wad it/it burns to the ground/some fine gentlemen in a van decide they like it. Motorcycles can be a relatively cheap hobby if you ride older used non-supersport bikes.

Same here. All purchases are made with saved money, particularly bikes and cars. I refuse to loan money when I can save up instead and I hate being in debt on my current car. There's only one loan that I'm willing to accept and that's the loan for my apartment.

I've taken out loans for my first bike and for my 929. Both were from friends/parents though, at no interest rate. With those 2 exceptions, I've only ever bought bikes with cash.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Disclaimer – this post is just new rider gushing, no actual content or punchline. You may skip it if you wish.

I got my license in November and rode my first independent miles today. My situation is kind of fluid right now so buying a bike doesn't really make sense, but I rented out a '99 Hornet 600 (would've maybe preferred something a bit tamer but it was the only thing they had and I did my license on a 600 anyway.) It was a bit daunting but I'm glad I was finally able to do it. Thanks for listening!

dejanigma
Oct 23, 2008
I am back after an incredibly long hiatus. As very few of you are likely to recall I had a 1982 Suzuki GS550LZ. I got it out of a random stranger's back yard on Craigslist, took her apart, got her running well, rejetted her carbs, fought with her airbox and all other fun nuances of carbureted motoring. I rode her for two years thereabouts, put about 3k miles on her and had a hell of a time. Towards the fall last year she started having lots of issues, stalling out off the line, random amounts of smoke or leaking depending on the ambient temperature. I only managed to get home after a ride because I managed to push start her downhill 3 times. I knew it was time to give her to a better mechanic with more free time. I sold the bike as a trainer for another random-stranger-on-Craigslists' wife. I think she found a good home.

I'd been looking at various different bikes since I unloaded the last one in the spring. It took me until now to build up the courage to buy one. I know we are all aware of the nerve and resolve needed to go out into the concrete jungle with a million drugged up, stupid cagers. I took a long look and a short ride on a Suzuki Bandit 1200, but decided after lots of deliberation that it was just too much bike for me. I was going 45mph at 2% throttle in 2nd gear and that just seemed excessive.

I was at a bar celebrating my fiance's 21rst birthday and being the dutiful designated driver, when a guy pulled up on a really neat looking bike. I talked to him about it for a while and he let me sit on it, turns out its pretty much the final incarnation of my original machine, a 2009 Suzuki GS500, probably one of the last of the carbureted motorcycles to be made. It felt a lot like my old GS550, the controls at my feet being straight down below my hips, the riding posture upright but sporty and alert. I knew I would find one of these machines.

And now I have :

2007 Suzuki GS500, all mine with brand new brakes, tires, grips, drag bars and a few other odds and ends.

I'm just waiting for the plates to arrive before I train myself in the nuances of operating the machine. I just wanted to come by and say hello after a long hiatus. I hope to get in a lot of riding before the New England winter comes in.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Waaaaaaahhhh, it actually feels like summer where i liiiiive" :qq:

It's way too drat cold for the middle of July in Seattle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I would kill for that.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

I'm a saver who hates debt though so the transaction was all cash. I wouldn't buy a bike any other way but I think I'm a minority.

Same here for the most part-- if I made more I'd be saving more and the houses I just sold are the only things I've ever taken out loans for. Anyway, I'm considering buying a 2006 Speed Four with ~10k on it for 3500-4k. I am an idiot.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Look at this horrible weather coming my way :( 20% chance of rain!!!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlackMK4 posted:

I would kill for that.

:smug:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Since all the cool kids are doing it

Also we had thunderstorms for 5 days straight last week. I hate you all.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Literally the worst weather we've had all summer condensed into a few short days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Clearly the solution here is to get up at 4am and haul rear end like that R6 guy does on Deals Gap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gnaghi posted:

Clearly the solution here is to get up at 4am and haul rear end like that R6 guy does on Deals Gap.

I wish I was a morning person :(

vvv
:saddowns:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 19, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh god, how can I ride in this weather. I might sweat a little.

LIFE IS HARD :qq:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hey BikeBandit hosed up

http://www.bikebandit.com/yoshimura-track-leather-jacket

26 bucks for a leather track jacket.

http://www.bikebandit.com/yoshimura-80s-leather-jacket

Also this one is messed up, same brand.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 19, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Chances of them actually honoring that?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BlackMK4 posted:

Chances of them actually honoring that?

No idea but Im buying one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

probably slim to none, might be worth a shot though before they catch wind :p

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Bought one... we will see what happens.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'll wait till it's on sale.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I'll wait till it's on sale.

It's already 10% off you jerk. :mad:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

It's already 10% off you jerk. :mad:

I'm with him. I won't be taken in by what is clearly a premium price for people who are all about the yoshimura designer label. Just wait until all the sheep get their track jackets and they're left with a massive overstock. I bet that will be at nordstrom's rack in a few months for 40% off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bought one, heres to hoping!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshimura-Track-Leather-Jacket-X-Large/dp/B001C047QA

:staredog:

got one, here's to hoping they own up to it and send me my jacket.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Red only in XX-Large and shipping is probably $80. But nice looking jacket. I remember considering it when I was shopping for a summer jacket a long time ago and it was pretty cheap but don't think it was that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Shipping is 8 bux bud.