Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Do we even know that it's Zombie Gregor and not "horribly disfigured live Gregor?"

His death, if I recall, was offscreen. I guess the bigass skull delivered to Dorne and Bran's dream about a bigass guy in armor with no head seem to match up.

Qyburn's just a disgraced Maester, though, right? He doesn't have special R'hllor powers that could do Gregor like Moqqoro did to Victarion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Qyburn studied Necromancy. What he can do with that knowledge is anyone's guess though.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

FairGame posted:

Do we even know that it's Zombie Gregor and not "horribly disfigured live Gregor?"

His death, if I recall, was offscreen. I guess the bigass skull delivered to Dorne and Bran's dream about a bigass guy in armor with no head seem to match up.

Qyburn's just a disgraced Maester, though, right? He doesn't have special R'hllor powers that could do Gregor like Moqqoro did to Victarion?

He's a disgraced Maester, with connections to Marwyn, the Archmaester of Magic and the Occult. And he studied Necromancy...so, yeah, he probably has a whole bag of tricks.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
It's much cooler for me to think that Qyburn made a zombie Gregor than it is to think that Qyburn nursed Gregor back to health from a close call with Martell's poison.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All the implications from the Tower of the Hand article are that he's a headless golem created with blood magic.

The vow of silence, Bran's vision, and the fully covering helm 24/7 confirm so.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Not to mention that he never eats or drinks or takes a poo poo.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
He's just that dedicated to destroying Tommen's enemies man.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kainser posted:

He's just that dedicated to destroying Tommen's enemies man.

Is there anyone in the Seven Kingdoms who doesn't see through this (the church excepted)? The Small Council wasn't composed of the most intelligent people right now (Kevan excepted), but even they realised what was up.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So as much as I want the Hound to be the one that fights him, how much hand-waving needs to be done to make that happen?

Sandor is a gravedigger at a backwater monastery in the Saltpans, I don't really see how he'd get called up to fight (especially with a messed up leg). And even though it might not be hard to make a connection (8 foot, mysterious kingsguard knight = Gregor), I don't see rumors traveling to Sandor in such a fashion in time for the trial.

On a different note, we're assuming Brienne said Jaime or 'Yes' to Zombie Cat, and 'the Hound' is really a bunch of the Brotherhood waiting to ambush Jaime?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's mentioned that all the hills and mountains around Old Valyria started spewing fire and smoke

Also there was an enourmous tsunami which on Earth can be coincident with volcanic explosions.

One neat parallel that I liked was Cercei walking naked/bald from the Sept to the castle and then at the end Dany walking naked/bald from the dragon mountain down to the Dothraki sea. The crazed Dany making GBS threads next to the stream and eating left over dragon meals was awesome. Feral Dany owns.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is using ravens as letter carriers a Westeros-only kind of thing? I was thinking last night about how messages go between the free cities/slaver cities. Possibly too far for ravens to make it easily as well.

Or does news just not travel as fast on that side of the narrow sea?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cervixalot posted:

So as much as I want the Hound to be the one that fights him, how much hand-waving needs to be done to make that happen?

Sandor is a gravedigger at a backwater monastery in the Saltpans, I don't really see how he'd get called up to fight (especially with a messed up leg). And even though it might not be hard to make a connection (8 foot, mysterious kingsguard knight = Gregor), I don't see rumors traveling to Sandor in such a fashion in time for the trial.

On a different note, we're assuming Brienne said Jaime or 'Yes' to Zombie Cat, and 'the Hound' is really a bunch of the Brotherhood waiting to ambush Jaime?

I'm not sure it really matters if Gregor is indeed headless. The man Gregor is probably dead, for all intents and purposes, so whether it's Sandor or someone else who puts him down doesn't really matter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

priznat posted:

Is using ravens as letter carriers a Westeros-only kind of thing? I was thinking last night about how messages go between the free cities/slaver cities. Possibly too far for ravens to make it easily as well.

Or does news just not travel as fast on that side of the narrow sea?

It is explained that the first raven messengers were actually Children of the Forest wargs and some?/all? current messenger ravens retain a bit of C.o.t.F. spirit in them. So they are indigenous to Westeros.

Mormont's raven imho is certainly a trapped C.o.t.F. warg.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cervixalot posted:

Actually, if I recall correctly "Sword" was the most common theory for what Brienne said.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 19, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm expecting the prologue chapter for Winds of Winter to be the battle of Winterfell from either Roose Bolton's or Stannis' perspective, and whoever it is will obviously die :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

euphronius posted:

It is explained that the first raven messengers were actually Children of the Forest wargs and some?/all? current messenger ravens retain a bit of C.o.t.F. spirit in them. So they are indigenous to Westeros.

Mormont's raven imho is certainly a trapped C.o.t.F. warg.

Ohhh yeah, well it certainly is handy to have those ravens, both for the inhabitants and as a plot device.

I was also thinking that prologue with sixskins was to set the idea that wargs can permanently leap into a new body, thus setting a hint about how Jon is able to escape his killers at the end, perhaps.

Hope he leaps into the giant and kicks some rear end :black101:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I really don't see Stoneheart letting Jaime live. No way.

For Jaime to live, Brienne would have to betray Stoneheart. And then they'd both be hosed.

And the more I think about it, I don't really care what happens to Jon, Tyrion, Bran, Rickon, the ironmen, Sansa, or Dany. They're still important and I like the story and all, but what I really want most is to see Ninja Arya turned loose on Westeros.

And most importantly: I want a Brotherhood Without Banners POV. I am dying to see them tearing through Freys and hatching schemes and infiltrating every possible castle/keep/city to wipe out the Lannisters and Freys.

There is way too much possibly with them. There's a general path we can see everyone else on. I want my mysterious magic guerillas.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

euphronius posted:

Also there was an enourmous tsunami which on Earth can be coincident with volcanic explosions.

One neat parallel that I liked was Cercei walking naked/bald from the Sept to the castle and then at the end Dany walking naked/bald from the dragon mountain down to the Dothraki sea. The crazed Dany making GBS threads next to the stream and eating left over dragon meals was awesome. Feral Dany owns.

Who's the Khal that found her? I didn't do a re-read of anything before Dance, so it's been like 6 years since I read anything.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FairGame posted:

Who's the Khal that found her? I didn't do a re-read of anything before Dance, so it's been like 6 years since I read anything.

Jhago, who took the largest part of Drogo's Horde. They didn't part on good terms. She swore something like "when we meet again you wish for what you gave the girl you raped and killed".

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Oh jeez, so since Jaime is not going to rescue his sister that fulfills the whole "person going against their values DIES" thing so now he is marked for death by Gurm.

Poor Jaime. Just when you were getting awesome. :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Midnight- posted:

Zombie Gregor's armor gets pierced in Cercei's trial by combat, and his inside blows away like dust.

I like to picture Zombie Gregor as being akin to the golems in Dragon Age, where (spoilered because I thought it was a pretty awesome bit of background that you find some way into the main story) they are men (dwarves) made to drink a molten metal with magical/mutative properties and then encased in armor also made from said metal, so that they essentially die a grizzly and horrific death and end up being mindless servants, while everyone else thinks they're just really neat artificially created beings who are great and help protect their cities.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

OperaMouse posted:

Some guys have suggested the dragons tearing the pyramids of Meereen apart.
Does that mean Mirri Maz Duur found a way to make Dany screw herself over yet another time?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I don't like Gregor being part of Dany's prophecy as the mountain because he is so far away. News would take months to reach her. All the other parts so far (wombs quickens, sun setting in the east, dry sea) have been very close to her, although she didn't see Quentyn die.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

No Pants posted:

Does that mean Mirri Maz Duur found a way to make Dany screw herself over yet another time?

At this point, I just don't care at all about Dany anymore. I would be content if Jon is raised in some manner, becomes AA, kills the Others with a dragonglass-equiped army, and Aegon takes the throne after the Baratheon line goes extinct.

Dany can rot with her dragons till eternity in Asshai, Valaria, or enjoy the Summer Isles for all I care.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DahtBard posted:

So in the TV show (for those who didn't get the chance to see it) there were a few absolutely fantastic added scenes with just Varys and Littlefinger verbally dueling rather magnificently. They both spoke with high elegance, but also had a good amount of grudging respect buried in their words. Is their any way that they could be working together for the destabilization of the realm?
Nah. If anything, the general impression we get is that Varys and LF are more likely working against one another than in tandem.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

At this point I'm positive Aegon is Illyrio's son.

He has to be in on this for a bigger reason than simply money or power in a continent he doesn't live in. Tyrion didn't seem convinced that Illyrio wanted to be Master of Coin. He seemed sad to be sending Aegon off on the river and even brought him his favorite ginger candies. The childrens' clothes (too nice for a slave, too small for Viserys) and the statue of a young Illyrio seem like a big tip-off.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rednik posted:

He has to be in on this for a bigger reason than simply money or power in a continent he doesn't live in. Tyrion didn't seem convinced that Illyrio wanted to be Master of Coin. He seemed sad to be sending Aegon off on the river and even brought him his favorite ginger candies. The childrens' clothes (too nice for a slave, too small for Viserys) and the statue of a young Illyrio seem like a big tip-off.
Well, this would imply that Connington is also being duped, which isn't out of the question - but what about Aegon's Targaryan eyes? Was he just born with eyes close enough to purple that Illyrio/Varys went, "Hey, I've got an idea..."?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Rednik posted:

I posted about this theory earlier and agree with it except for the issue of why would Varys lie to Kevan on his deathbed? Unless Varys didn't know about it or didn't care it seems weird not lie to someone who has no ability to tell anyone else. It also would probably ruin the theory that Lemore = Ashara

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Or he simply likes the boy who lived 15 years in his household? No reason to automatically assume some blood relationship. Aegon being the real deal seems far more poignant to me when he dies horribly or fails hilariously at being a leader.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I just got to the chapter where Theon escapes.

Jeyne posted:

Tell him, you tell him. I'll do what he wants... whatever he wants... with him or... or with the dog...

God drat it GRRM. Who the hell even comes up with that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ramsay puts the GRR in swinger baby, yeah!

I'm betting he gets turned into a slightly sympathetic character just before being killed horribly.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Rednik posted:

I don't understand this theory. If Illyrio is his dad, how could he realize any upside without outing his son as a non-Targ?

What upside does Illyrio have access to through his real son, that he couldn't get from an Aegon who is a real Targ?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Thoguh posted:

I just got to the chapter where Theon escapes.

God drat it GRRM. Who the hell even comes up with that?

Ew.

Though the dogs are all female, and apparently I've not been on the Internet long enough to have any idea what awful thing this could therefore imply.

Ramsay is the worst; he'll probably end up sitting on the Iron Throne when it's all said and done.

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I'm back, baby.

So, Mance sent the letter, Lord Fat ate the Freys, Zombie Drogo, Zombie Gregor, Jon Snow is definitively Azor Ahai, the Banker tipped off Stannis, the Maesters have changed history, and Bran is an ent.

What else happened?

How is Jon definitively Azor Ahai? The propecy states: "when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." The only person that fits that description, and fits it to the letter, is Dany.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

priznat posted:

Ramsay puts the GRR in swinger baby, yeah!

I'm betting he gets turned into a slightly sympathetic character just before being killed horribly.

I'd like to see GRRM pull this off. Jamie is one thing. Ramsay...

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Melisandre and Stannis have been cast for season 2.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Substar posted:

How is Jon definitively Azor Ahai? The propecy states: "when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." The only person that fits that description, and fits it to the letter, is Dany.

But we don't know the circumstances of Jon's birth yet.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I can't be the only person who does not like aryas current arc. I mean, cool, she's a killer. Like she was before and just like everyone else in the story, except with a little bit of tepid sorcery. The backstory of the b&w temple isn't even that engrossing. Who is she being set up to murder? The only suitable people be the boltons, who would certainly have it coming, littlefinger, which would be cool enough I guess, or someone like varys. And death by faceless arya just dosent seem as compelling as death by regular arya or any other nifty thread gurm could weave.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Substar posted:

The common theory is:
smoke: the mist from his wounds
salt: Bowen Marsh tears
star: the symbol of Ser Patrek

Maybe TPWWP and Azor Ahai are different people?

meanolmrcloud posted:

I can't be the only person who does not like aryas current arc.

The Faceless Men are pretty clearly only her means to get training. After she has that she won't stay with them for sure. That's why I'm not really worried about her current arc - it's just a temporary thing for her, all the stuff about her not being able to let go of "Arya" is a clear indication for this.

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Habibi posted:

I'd like to see GRRM pull this off. Jamie is one thing. Ramsay...

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely but drat it would be impressive if he manages it. I had thought Theon would be pretty irredeemable but you can't help but pity the guy now.

Still not likely. Ramsay's end will be met with cheers and/or "not brutal enough!"