Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Ahh N1s, the key to gold medals in every Rogue Squadron mission. The most ludicrously powerful lasers and huge torpedo magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only Clone Wars era ship worth a drat is the Naboo N-1 starfighter. Great design, but the rest can gather dust for all I care.

Never cared for the N-1 myself. I just can't get past the fact that there physically isn't room for the R2 unit's legs. (It was apparently George's call, narrowing the droid socket for the sake of aesthetics, and to hell with practicality.) And so we get the ridiculous concept of Artoo popping his head off and sticking it up through the top hatch:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

being a huge Y-Wing fan I was pumped to see the BTL-B show up in Clone Wars :kiddo: I like that it was the original that they had to chop up for the ones in ANH.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back. Venators. :allears:
A Venator is just a Star Destroyer on a diet. The N1 is good looking, but as Powered Descent says, they don't make much sense.

The best part of the Clone Wars ships is the red/orange paintwork on the capital ship, and Dooku's solar sail ship (it doesn't fit Star Wars, but it is pretty neat). Other than that, I guess the Jedi fighters from RotS look pretty good, but only with closed wings.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Powered Descent posted:

Never cared for the N-1 myself. I just can't get past the fact that there physically isn't room for the R2 unit's legs. (It was apparently George's call, narrowing the droid socket for the sake of aesthetics, and to hell with practicality.) And so we get the ridiculous concept of Artoo popping his head off and sticking it up through the top hatch:

To be fair, the Naboo N-1 is the prettiest starfighter :colbert:

Real question, what are the benefits of having an astromech droid exposed on the outside of a ship like that? Why not just have it be completely inside the craft?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Admiral Goodenough posted:

To be fair, the Naboo N-1 is the prettiest starfighter :colbert:

Real question, what are the benefits of having an astromech droid exposed on the outside of a ship like that? Why not just have it be completely inside the craft?

R2 units are shown as being able to perform quick repairs on the outside of the ship.

Although, they can only do that within the range of their tiny little arms. So, not all that helpful, really.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

angrylinuxgeek posted:

being a huge Y-Wing fan I was pumped to see the BTL-B show up in Clone Wars :kiddo: I like that it was the original that they had to chop up for the ones in ANH.

:hfive: A fellow Y-wing fan appears! My handle on theforce.net was actually Master_Y-wing. I even RP-ed as Horton Salm there once :clint:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

To remind the audience that Artoo is there -- otherwise the protagonist would just be speaking to disembodied beep-boops. We also get another character's "face" to look at in reaction shots. And of course it makes it possible for the droid to be disabled by a glancing hit, thus showcasing the danger the main character is in.

Or were you asking for technical reasons instead of dramatic reasons? :)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

R2 units are shown as being able to perform quick repairs on the outside of the ship.

Although, they can only do that within the range of their tiny little arms. So, not all that helpful, really.

Right? Just seems odd to have a big, clunky droid be a necessary addition to a fighter plane.

Powered Descent posted:

To remind the audience that Artoo is there -- otherwise the protagonist would just be speaking to disembodied beep-boops. We also get another character's "face" to look at in reaction shots. And of course it makes it possible for the droid to be disabled by a glancing hit, thus showcasing the danger the main character is in.

Or were you asking for technical reasons instead of dramatic reasons? :)

Yeah alright, point taken :)

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Bene Elim posted:

Dooku's solar sail ship (it doesn't fit Star Wars, but it is pretty neat)

Well, it's pretty obvious that a lot of the scenes/costumes/etc. from Tron were blatantly stolen from The Empire Strikes Back, which came out one year earlier. So it's only fair that Star Wars should be able to steal something back.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

jazz babies posted:

I was chilling with the 501st Garrison on Saturday night for the Weird Al show in Toronto. What a bunch of hilarious nerds. <3 I love those guys.

I take it you were one of the Nirvana dancers? (I was one of those Stormtroopers!)

I'm at the back, pointin' my blaster at the camera.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Whats Sauvebrowtrooper saying to the Travistrooper?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Nothing about the game or canon or whatever but who thought this was a cool design? I like the maul saber but this is retarded as gently caress.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Throb Robinson posted:

Nothing about the game or canon or whatever but who thought this was a cool design? I like the maul saber but this is retarded as gently caress.

Is that TOR?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Throb Robinson posted:

People in the SWTOR thread are saying it's just two players clipping over one another.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Throb Robinson posted:

You're right. It is retarded. He should have two maulsabers instead.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I've become so jaded about Star Wars I literally thought that was a real thing without even thinking. I seriously had no doubt that someone thought that was a cool thing

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Me too. Isn't there some upcoming character in the (canon) Clone Wars series with two maulsabers?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
And who's Lightsaber Knees beyond that one picture, again?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

And who's Lightsaber Knees beyond that one picture, again?

He's from Allston's NJO books. Basically all that needs to be known is that he was a dark Jedi who was cybernetically added to and took on the persona of some Corellian boogeyman legend.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Hazo posted:

Me too. Isn't there some upcoming character in the (canon) Clone Wars series with two maulsabers?
What? :negative:

Someone at Lucasfilm must have at least seen a sword before. I refuse to believe that there is a group of people out there who think this is a good idea.

There is a branch of juggling called double staff where you twirl two ~4-5' staves around (I guess that's where they got the idea from), but it is slow and really rather useless as a combat skill.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

From the awkward.jpg thread, some people are having a hard time accepting the SWG shut-down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb3cxA4g_U

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

And because that last video is really stupid, here's a link to "Modern Marvels: Star Wars Tech", courtesy of the Let's Watch Documentaries-thread :eng101:
http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x1jwxv_xSilverPhinx_modern-marvels-star-wars-tech#videoId=xhcvnf

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Throb Robinson posted:

I've become so jaded about Star Wars I literally thought that was a real thing without even thinking. I seriously had no doubt that someone thought that was a cool thing

If I remember correctly, the latest game trailer (the one with the smuggler) features the jedi master fighting a last-stand dual wielding a single and a double blade. :ssh:

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrk2BE4Tqc this one

Actually, he only has the double blade on here and there, at the start of the fight and as a little "surprise", not constantly. So, I guess he doesn't quite count.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 21, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

From the awkward.jpg thread, some people are having a hard time accepting the SWG shut-down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb3cxA4g_U

I skipped to the middle of this video and the first thing I heard was "gently caress you LucasArts"

:allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aw poo poo.

Original Trilogy deleted scenes sizzle reel from the Blu-Ray.

I have wanted to see footage of the goddamn sandstorm sequence since I was 10 years old. And the wampa attack on the Hoth base, and I didn't even know a color version of the Treadmill scene existed.

I'm guessing not by the fact that they didn't clean up the treadmill footage, but I wonder if there is going to be any effects work done to any of these since Lucas likes to tinker so much. I can imagine him adding backgrounds to the Cloud City Lando radar dish sequence, assuming it's even in there. I really hope Han's extended torture scene is in there. And a dozen others. I want this to be totally exhaustive, but I'm guessing it'll be a bit more cherry-picked - only the best sequences :(

Sorry, I was a bit of a deleted scenes junkie back in the day.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 22, 2011

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I want to see more Luke in his adorable little sun hat :allears:

When do the sandstorm scenes take place?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

I want to see more Luke in his adorable little sun hat :allears:

When do the sandstorm scenes take place?

After the sail barge blows up, they take the skiff back to the Falcon, and the sandstorm makes things difficult for them. I hear it was cut because it just looked bad and was wholly unnecessary to the story.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I'm afraid to even ask, but does this be-all, end-all Blu-Ray set have the original OT or is it just the special editions?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm afraid to even ask, but does this be-all, end-all Blu-Ray set have the original OT or is it just the special editions?

I know this sounds like I'm being a dick but you already know the answer to that one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I just realized Choices of One was actually out and immediately picked it up on Kindle. So far so good, I like the sense of desperation from the Hand of Judgment deserters, and Han Solo finding his sense of responsibility and leadership again. Also we get to find out why Thrawn picked out Pellaeon when he returned to the "Known Regions" again prior to the Heir to the Empire books.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Choices of One has me wrestling with an internal conflict. In order to talk myself into buying a Kindle, I promised myself that I'd still buy physical copies of books I really want from authors I really like. But drat if I don't enjoy Whispersyncing my way through books now. And it's just so much easier reading on a Kindle than a hardback.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The only problem I have with Choices of One (major plot spoiler) is the twist that Lord Odo and his pilot was really the alien warlord and not Thrawn and Car'das. It's a twist that is entirely the author playing a trick on the readership based on our expectations based on the arrangement of POV selections, and not a twist that follows naturally from the plot and I'm MAJORLY annoyed by it. I really enjoyed the other twists, though.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So I was prowling through Wookieepedia earlier and came upon this tool. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/K%27Kruhk
I understand that people like their recurring characters but this guy is so ridiculous and silly that it defies belief. We're expected to believe that this guys not only survived order 66, but he also made it all the way to the end of the Legacy comics?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WhyteRyce posted:

Choices of One has me wrestling with an internal conflict. In order to talk myself into buying a Kindle, I promised myself that I'd still buy physical copies of books I really want from authors I really like.

Er...why? Does Amazon take a larger cut from authors or something?

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

VaultAggie posted:

So I was prowling through Wookieepedia earlier and came upon this tool. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/K%27Kruhk
I understand that people like their recurring characters but this guy is so ridiculous and silly that it defies belief. We're expected to believe that this guys not only survived order 66, but he also made it all the way to the end of the Legacy comics?

By all accounts, the ridiculousness of K'Kruhk's deaths and revivals should be some of the lamest cop-outs in the EU. But the character owns so I hard, I can't even bring myself to care. I love that guy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

Er...why? Does Amazon take a larger cut from authors or something?

No I was just one of those people that loved the look and smell of paper books and felt bad about the idea of leaving it behind. Basically paper books are the high school sweetheart you leave behind for college and ebooks are some drunk chick you meet at a frat party.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In browsing through Comic-Con news, I saw that Karen Traviss is being made the lead writer for both Gears of War and Halo. I don't really have an interest in either series, but fans have my sympathies. I can't wait to read about her intricate Spartan language and description of their tribal social structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

In browsing through Comic-Con news, I saw that Karen Traviss is being made the lead writer for both Gears of War and Halo. I don't really have an interest in either series, but fans have my sympathies. I can't wait to read about her intricate Spartan language and description of their tribal social structure.

Fans of the Halo novels are used to disappointment since every book not by Eric Nylund was really bad. Thankfully they signed on Greg Bear to do some non-embarrassing prequel stuff that should distract people from the inevitable Traviss awfulness.