Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Or maybe the prophecies simply aren't true!

I've never seen the ones that have been cast as Melisandre and Stannis, so I'm hoping that they are good :ohdear: (they probably are considering the great casting for season one)

e; I'm still hoping that we'll get to hear the tragic backstory of Ser Gregor Clegane at some point so that we'll feel sympathy for him :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

priznat posted:

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely but drat it would be impressive if he manages it. I had thought Theon would be pretty irredeemable but you can't help but pity the guy now.

Still not likely. Ramsay's end will be met with cheers and/or "not brutal enough!"

I mean, Theon did some horrible poo poo, but as far as the world knows it's worse than it was (though not really by much) - but as much as he's always been an entitled prick, he's not the wantonly cruel motherfucker that Ramsay is. I honestly can't even imagine what it would take for Ramsay to become sympathetic unless it's some "Roose has mind control powers and Ramsay is really a nice lad locked away in the corner of his mind while the Lord of the Dreadfort controls him like a puppet" bullshit explanation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Not bad. Melisandre seems like a good fit, visually. Almost exactly what she looks like even on the original US cover art for ACoK. My first reaction to Stannis is that he looks a bit old (older than Robert), but then, his experiences over the books age him a ton, so that'll probably be fine. I liked him as Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries, but he was a sort of flighty day-dreaming character, and as Stannis he's going to need to practice clenching his jaw and grinding his teeth. But his quiet and unassuming demeanor fits pretty well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's all the bad blood, you see, it needs to be leeched outta there!

Dammit the leeches keep dying - perhaps Ramsay has some kind of heavy metal poisoning causing him to be an insane evil rear end in a top hat?

Ah gently caress it kill the bastard! :haw:

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

meanolmrcloud posted:

I can't be the only person who does not like aryas current arc. I mean, cool, she's a killer. Like she was before and just like everyone else in the story, except with a little bit of tepid sorcery. The backstory of the b&w temple isn't even that engrossing. Who is she being set up to murder? The only suitable people be the boltons, who would certainly have it coming, littlefinger, which would be cool enough I guess, or someone like varys. And death by faceless arya just dosent seem as compelling as death by regular arya or any other nifty thread gurm could weave.

With all the focus on Arya losing her personality, I'm guessing she will be sent to kill someone previosly close to her. Then creating a struggle between her current and former self blablablablabla

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Decius posted:

The Faceless Men are pretty clearly only her means to get training. After she has that she won't stay with them for sure. That's why I'm not really worried about her current arc - it's just a temporary thing for her, all the stuff about her not being able to let go of "Arya" is a clear indication for this.

I've utterly lost interest in Arya.

I thought it was hilarious that literally in the first like 20 pages we have of her since she dramatically went blind, she gets her sight back. No biggie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Substar posted:

How is Jon definitively Azor Ahai?

"Everytime I ask for a vision of Azor Ahai, all I see is Snow. Everytime I ask to see Azor Ahai's face, I see yours, Jon."

Also "blargh, I'm dead. But I'll be back in the next book."

JS = AA

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

priznat posted:

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely but drat it would be impressive if he manages it. I had thought Theon would be pretty irredeemable but you can't help but pity the guy now.

Still not likely. Ramsay's end will be met with cheers and/or "not brutal enough!"

To be fair the only reason Theon is sympathetic is because Ramsay is so much worse, and who the hell is going to be bad enough to make Ramsay look okay?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, Jon's sword (valyrian steel (good for killing Others)) was quenched in the blood of his chick, just like AA.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
^^^^ Roose Bolton.

And on Arya: well, sure, she's gonna try and kill someone she knows, or...

Actually, better idea: she's sent to kill someone and one of the people on her list is just close enough that she could kill them if she gave up the contract. Same struggle, but a GRRMy twist.

e: Wait, his sword was drenched in Ygritte's blood? Also there's the element of actually killing the love with the sword that's missing, but maybe shooting in a way that might have killed her is enough.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 19, 2011

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Gurm hinting at a new casting. I don't follow actors at all so I couldn't even begin guessing at who it is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

To be fair the only reason Theon is sympathetic is because Ramsay is so much worse, and who the hell is going to be bad enough to make Ramsay look okay?

I think the turning point for me was when he was in the Godswood and Bran reached out to him and he admits out loud that all he wished for was to be a Stark.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

FairGame posted:

I've utterly lost interest in Arya.

I thought it was hilarious that literally in the first like 20 pages we have of her since she dramatically went blind, she gets her sight back. No biggie.

It was just as dumb as when yoren cut her hair and sandor smacked her in the back of the head :cmon:

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

hhhmmm posted:

With all the focus on Arya losing her personality, I'm guessing she will be sent to kill someone previosly close to her. Then creating a struggle between her current and former self blablablablabla

It seems as if it's Faceless Man Policy not to kill someone they personally know.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ray_ posted:

It seems as if it's Faceless Man Policy not to kill someone they personally know.

I would like to see their employee handbook :haw:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

whalestory posted:

It was just as dumb as when yoren cut her hair and sandor smacked her in the back of the head :cmon:

I never understood why anyone thought it was a "fake death" when Sandor smashed her with the axe. It seemed pretty clear to me that the intended thing was to make it unclear if Sandor wanted to bring her to Roose instead of to her mother. Because in the chapters before he refuses to say where they are going.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Also, Jon's sword (valyrian steel (good for killing Others)) was quenched in the blood of his chick, just like AA.
Wait what? When did this happen?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tony Danza Claus posted:

In Ygiritte? I think she was killed by an arrow, by someone other than Jon. Because he used widling arrows, and she was shot with a Night Watch arrow (if I remember correctly). Arya, the Faceless Girl are shite. I thought it were boring in AFFC, and it was the worst part of ADWD, even worse than the Tyrion chapters (:/WHERE DO WHORES GO ISHOTMYFATHERWITHACROSSBOWANDHEDIDN'TSHITGOLDILLKILLMYSISTER :/)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I really hope Dany goes to Asshai in Book Six. Then further east to wrap around the world and land right at loving... wait.

Casterly Rock is on the western shores of Westeros... and if Tyrion meets Dany in the next book, well...

awesome

I want that place to burn to the ground.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why does Tyrion keep telling people he killed joffrey? Just because he doesn't care and it's going to be laid at his feet anyways? The evidence points to the Tyrells otherwise doesn't it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I quite like the Braavos/Arya chapters :ohdear:

She's gonna kill Cersei, book it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Why does Tyrion keep telling people he killed joffrey? Just because he doesn't care and it's going to be laid at his feet anyways? The evidence points to the Tyrells otherwise doesn't it

Because he thinks Sansa did it and he wants to protect her. Also he already told Jaime to hurt him, so why not stick with the story?

And I like the Arya chapters too, especially during her "Cat of the Canals" personality. Camel oval office never gets old.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

priznat posted:

I quite like the Braavos/Arya chapters :ohdear:
Me too. I feel it's a bit too drawn out and the pacing isn't great (ie: if Jon's training at the Wall was anything like this he'd still be in line to take his vows), but I enjoy them more than a lot of other stories in Dance (eg: Dany, Tyrion).

Figured it's because he's already been found guilty of it and now he just doesn't care and is like, "Yeah whatever I killed Joffrey." I take it in the same vein as his confessions to both the Arryn (cheated/whored/etc...) and King's Landing (guilty of being a dwarf) courts.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

We're told fairly specifically that the Queen of Thorns killed Joffrey.

So yeah, Tyrion's just going with the blame. He killed Tywin, might as well not argue against common belief that he also killed Joffrey.

Sort of avoiding a "I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arya's face changing scene was one of the coolest parts of the book though.

Also you say it is against policy to kill someone you personally know, but no one knows anyone personally. I like the tension in Arya's chapters. Her whole recent life has been one big vendetta against her enemies. Now she is learning to be the perfect assassin BUT at the same time she is learning / being forced to forget her vendettas. Maybe.

Also someone said way back that Jon snapping and breaking his vows to go after the Bolton's was out of character. I thought GRRM built into that nicely. At every step he was moving away from the Black and moving closer to his other identities as Jon Snow (Stark) and as a Wilding.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

hhhmmm posted:

This is what about every other fantasy writer would do, so I'm betting it's not what GRRM will do. Not without a twist or two.

Here's a nutty idea (probably too psych-horror for the Gurm): she manages to forget about being Arya while awake, but her connection with Nym remains at night. Somehow she ends up in the Riverlands, and while sleeping and warging into Nymeria she comes across "no-one"'s sleeping corpse and devours herself.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

euphronius posted:

Also someone said way back that Jon snapping and breaking his vows to go after the Bolton's was out of character. I thought GRRM built into that nicely. At every step he was moving away from the Black and moving closer to his other identities as Jon Snow (Stark) and as a Wilding.

I really don't think it's out of character if you think of it from his perspective: he's the only one who can save his only surviving sibling on the run from a loving psychopath. It'd be out of character for him NOT to try to save her.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Patchface posted:

"Under the sea, the merman feast on starfish soup and all the serving men are crabs."
Merman = Manderly
Crabs = the lord of Sweetsister that sent Davos to White Harbor?
Starfish = Karstarks maybe?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Patchface is the worst character and nothing he says has any deeper meaning

Actually everyone related to Stannis is the worst character.

Except Davos; that guy rules.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Ray_ posted:

I really don't think it's out of character if you think of it from his perspective: he's the only one who can save his only surviving sibling on the run from a loving psychopath. It'd be out of character for him NOT to try to save her.

He is "saving" her in an absolutely retarded way. He has better options available and is supposed to be reasonably cunning.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
The worst character is clearly every Meereenese, I thought we'd been over this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

euphronius posted:

Arya's face changing scene was one of the coolest parts of the book though.
I thought at first they were going to do something like take her face off and replace it. Sort of half-glad that wasn't the case, though the other part of me was all for seeing how that would shake out.

quote:

I didn't think that his reaction was out of character, but nor that he was drifting away from the Black. I felt he was actually staying really true to the original intent of the Watch (which was not necessarily what it had more recently become) while broadening his horizons. He was doing what he felt he had to in order to make the Wall as strong as possible against the real enemy.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Why was Jojen so mopey, by the way? Are the two Reeds doomed to freeze to death while Bran becomes a tree or whatever?

Also, is Coldhands just sitting outside the cave this whole time since he can't go in? Teh whole Bran thing has been clumsy for a while; this didn't make it better.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

The worst character is clearly every Meereenese, I thought we'd been over this.

Hizdahr no Grazdar was unashamedly using Dany for the throne, the Green Grace is obviously in on it and I don't know why Dany trusts her. Everyone in the city knows its all just a sham to get rid of Dragonbitch, except Dany. THE PEACE is all just pretext while they decide how to get rid of her anyway, and everyone knows that too but her. If it weren't for widespread bloodshitting the Yunkers and traitors would have taken the city already.

Dany is dense as gently caress.

~my Daario~

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Kainser posted:

I just realized that the fact that Aeron Greyjoy apparently can survive while only drinking seawater is another sign that the Drowned God is real in some way.

And the visions in fires coming true point to Rhllor being real, and from the Bran chapters we know that the Old Gods are real, although they perhaps no longer fit the traditional definition of "god".

Really, the only gods that have no evidence pointing to their existence are the Seven, especially since they don't seem to act at all even when invoked (Tyrion's trial for example)

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

FairGame posted:

Why was Jojen so mopey, by the way? Are the two Reeds doomed to freeze to death while Bran becomes a tree or whatever?

Also, is Coldhands just sitting outside the cave this whole time since he can't go in? Teh whole Bran thing has been clumsy for a while; this didn't make it better.

He's a 13 year old kid north of the Wall with no way to go home.

Also Coldhands is dead so it doesn't really matter.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Really, the only gods that have no evidence pointing to their existence are the Seven, especially since they don't seem to act at all even when invoked (Tyrion's trial for example)

If I'm not mistaken, the Stranger is the Westerosi aspect of the God of Many Faces, so at least one of them is real.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dany is dense as gently caress.

No poo poo. "Hey marry me and I guarantee that that the rebels will stop fighting for 90 days," should have resulted in him getting locked up as obviously being a leader in the rebellion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

He's a 13 year old kid north of the Wall with no way to go home.

Also Coldhands is dead so it doesn't really matter.

Were there any hints that Coldhands may be Benjen Stark? I kept an eye out but didn't see any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FairGame posted:

Why was Jojen so mopey, by the way? Are the two Reeds doomed to freeze to death while Bran becomes a tree or whatever?.

I saw a theory somewhere that he's got some sort of "magic" connection to his home, which is being broken by the Wall. Or he may just not have recovered from traveling in freezing weather with no food.