Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Boiled Water posted:

It's like a ford mondeo but less exciting.
In "The Giant Spider Invasion" episode of MST3k there's a scene where the sheriff drives up in some nondescript vehicle that was common in the 70s and Tom Servo says, "The new 1974 Car!". That's exactly how I feel looking at that Impala picture.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the all new 2012 Chevrolet... Automobile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

I don't think people really put that much thought into it. What I think it is is the fact that since the 70s a wagon has been associated with hauling groceries and soccer moms, or grandpa driving around the kids for the most part. I'd be willing to bet that in another 5-10 years SUVs will have the same stigma (universally, that is), just like minivans recently.

Minivans are a much newer concept than a station wagon or SUVs. They are hated because they are poo poo to drive and ugly as hell. The stigma is because it's spot-on.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Boiled Water posted:

It's like a ford mondeo but less exciting.

Yes if a Mondeo had more HP and weighed 400lbs less than a BMW 335i and better fuel economy and was much larger and could seat 6 people with 3 in the front row and costs half the price. But I guess it doesn't have enough spoilers and hood scoops and HIDZZ to impress anyone here. :rolleye:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes if a Mondeo had more HP and weighed 400lbs less than a BMW 335i and better fuel economy and was much larger and could seat 6 people with 3 in the front row and costs half the price. But I guess it doesn't have enough spoilers and hood scoops and HIDZZ to impress anyone here. :rolleye:

And somehow it will be far slower, and the fuel economy will come from you not wanting to drive the thing at all, let alone hard. There's been a loving $1000 rebate for AARP members for a few years now.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Throatwarbler posted:

But I guess it doesn't have enough spoilers and hood scoops and HIDZZ to impress anyone here. :rolleye:
It may be a great car, but it's damned boring. It looks like it was designed to be the most average-looking car they could make. That may even be intentional -- perhaps they're going for the I-want-a-bland-car segment of the market.

It's the kind of car I would drive if I were going to rob a bank because no one would be able to give a description of it to the police. "Well, officer, it was... Um. It had four wheels I think. It had headlights too."

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
They are comfortable cars to drive. I would take one over a Camry without hesitation. A new one would be a bad move though, the depreciation appears to be epic.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 19, 2011

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Subaru wants to split the WRX from the Impreza, make it a 1.6L turbo flat four to conform to WRC spec AND possibly base this new car off the RWD concept... except AWD :golfclap:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/52124/subaru-wrx-could-split-from-the-impreza-line-report

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

quote:

“Apart from a few nuts and bolts, every part on the WRX will be unique. Even the engine and body," an unnamed source reportedly told US magazine Motor Trend this week.
That sounds unnecessarily expensive, or wildly misinformed. "unnamed source reportedly told <magazine>" :wtc: That's journalism?

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Subaru wants to split the WRX from the Impreza, make it a 1.6L turbo flat four to conform to WRC spec AND possibly base this new car off the RWD concept... except AWD :golfclap:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/52124/subaru-wrx-could-split-from-the-impreza-line-report

Just stop making cars that look like boring crap with a giant spoiler. I don't understand the point of splitting the impreza line though.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Throatwarbler posted:

I seriously doubt it can seat three abreast for more than a trip across town. The Jetta and Focus both "seat 5", but not really. I like the Juke for not having a pretentious center seat in the back. More cars should do that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

69sofine posted:

Just stop making cars that look like boring crap with a giant spoiler. I don't understand the point of splitting the impreza line though.

Potential to get back into the WRC, cheaper price might mean more uptake.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

69sofine posted:

:ssh: It's using a lot of words to say "The next WRX is going to be the Subayota/FT-86".

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

69sofine posted:

My money is on them making a Mini fighter. They are going for a Yaris sized sporty car with a small displacement boosted engine.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's using a lot of words to say "The next WRX is going to be the Subayota/FT-86".

I can understand why you would think that. The Subayotaru doesn't have a name yet and is rumored to have the turbo/AWD combo. But I doubt it is the new WRX. The Subayotaru will be able to stand on its own; it doesn't need the WRX nameplate at all.

They could be trying to create a "premium" brand image. By having a stand-alone WRX naming the Subayota the SVX, they will pretty much set themselves up for a future __X nameplates.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

My money is on them making a Mini fighter. They are going for a Yaris sized sporty car with a small displacement boosted engine.

I can understand why you would think that. The Subayotaru doesn't have a name yet and is rumored to have the turbo/AWD combo. But I doubt it is the new WRX. The Subayotaru will be able to stand on its own; it doesn't need the WRX nameplate at all.

They could be trying to create a "premium" brand image. By having a stand-alone WRX naming the Subayota the SVX, they will pretty much set themselves up for a future __X nameplates.

Introducing the new Subaru CRX!

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

quote:

"Subayota, etc."

I always called it the Toyobaru :v:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I always called it the Toyobaru :v:

Speaking of which...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Motronic posted:

Minivans are a much newer concept than a station wagon or SUVs. They are hated because they are poo poo to drive and ugly as hell. The stigma is because it's spot-on.

They drive a hell of a lot better than most SUVs though and people buy them.

I'd take an Odyssey over a CRV or a Touran over a Tiguan for instance

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

They drive a hell of a lot better than most SUVs though and people buy them.

That is very much personal preference. Minivans drive like appliances. If that's what you like and need more space, trade in your Corolla for one. I'd enjoy a $400 J-body more than a new minivan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

That is very much personal preference. Minivans drive like appliances. If that's what you like and need more space, trade in your Corolla for one. I'd enjoy a $400 J-body more than a new minivan.

The better mini vans are bugger all different to drive than their sedan counterparts - just a bit more bulk for the same drivetrain. Driving a Touran for instance is very similar to driving a Golf.

Also I didn't realise the US market Odyssey was so giant, that isn't one I've driven. The international one is really nice other than being terminally underpowered.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The Odyssey looks positively small next to the Toyota Sienna.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Also I didn't realise the US market Odyssey was so giant, that isn't one I've driven.

The (US market, I suppose if you say there is a difference) Odyssey and whatever the Toyota counterpart is are basically school bus sized. It's like driving a refrigerator box with built in sofas while while wearing oven mitts and clown shoes. They are soul-less crotchfruit transport with no redeeming qualities other than space, relative cheapness and "hey look, I can open the big door on the side with my keychain remote!" and "look, DVD players in the seat backs to keep the snot noses quiet!". No one who is any sort of driving enthusiast would find a single thing about how they drive to be satisfying.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

The better mini vans are bugger all different to drive than their sedan counterparts - just a bit more bulk for the same drivetrain. Driving a Touran for instance is very similar to driving a Golf.

Also I didn't realise the US market Odyssey was so giant, that isn't one I've driven. The international one is really nice other than being terminally underpowered.

The RoW Odyssey is basically a TSX/RoW Accord wagon, with double wishbone front and rear suspension, it's a tiny vehicle, doesn't even have sliding doors. The American Odyssey is almost a foot taller. The Odyssey does have trailing arm IRS but it's by far the most expensive van on the market. Most American minivans are Dodge/Chryslers that had leaf springs and live/dead axles until 2008 when they upgraded to a torsion bar and coil springs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

The (US market, I suppose if you say there is a difference) Odyssey and whatever the Toyota counterpart is are basically school bus sized. It's like driving a refrigerator box with built in sofas while while wearing oven mitts and clown shoes. They are soul-less crotchfruit transport with no redeeming qualities other than space, relative cheapness and "hey look, I can open the big door on the side with my keychain remote!" and "look, DVD players in the seat backs to keep the snot noses quiet!". No one who is any sort of driving enthusiast would find a single thing about how they drive to be satisfying.

You could just as easily be describing an Expedition or whatever that Toyota equivalent super sized SUV is called (the one that is bigger than a 200 series Landcruiser but doesn't have any type of off-road ability).

It really sounds like a problem with specific minivans rather than the minivan form factor in general.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Motronic posted:

I'd drive an R63 all day with no complaints no matter what "crotchfruit" was sitting in the back.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

dissss posted:

You could just as easily be describing an Expedition or whatever that Toyota equivalent super sized SUV is called (the one that is bigger than a 200 series Landcruiser but doesn't have any type of off-road ability).

It really sounds like a problem with specific minivans rather than the minivan form factor in general.

The Sequoia has tons of off road capability, being that it has a LC200 drive train almost entirely... It is inappropriately large, though.

The only minivan I want is the Previa for its SC-AWD-mid-engined goodness. I've never driven one and I likely never will. So any goodness may just be turd polishing.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

kimbo305 posted:

Potential to get back into the WRC, cheaper price might mean more uptake.

It sounds like it would be more expensive from the way they're describing how it's gonna be use proprietary everything.

So is the STI going to be a part of this possible new WRX line?

If the FT-86 is going to be AWD and turbo would the only reason you'd purchase it over a WRX be that it's a coupe?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Skyssx posted:

The Sequoia has tons of off road capability, being that it has a LC200 drive train almost entirely... It is inappropriately large, though.

The Sequoia is a bit taller than the LC and has IRS but the LC does have low range gearing, which I guess is the big thing to have for going off road.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Throatwarbler posted:

The Sequoia is a bit taller than the LC and has IRS but the LC does have low range gearing, which I guess is the big thing to have for going off road.

The engine, transfer case, transmission and front axle are swappable.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Motronic posted:

yeah I don't see why they keep marketing the odyssey to driving enthusiasts

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Motronic posted:

(Minivans) are soul-less crotchfruit transport with no redeeming qualities other than space, relative cheapness and "hey look, I can open the big door on the side with my keychain remote!" and "look, DVD players in the seat backs to keep the snot noses quiet!". No one who is any sort of driving enthusiast would find a single thing about how they drive to be satisfying.
The USDM Honda Odyssey has seating for eight, a 250 hp V6, gets 18-19 mpg city and 27-28 mpg highway, and starts around $28k. A Chevrolet Traverse has seating for eight, a 280 hp V6, gets 17 mpg city and 24 mpg highway, and starts closer to $30k. The Odyssey also has the advantage of not being a boring jellybean. The lightning bolt or whatever at the C pillar is something at least, instead of being inoffensively styled by a committee—and spread across four brands at one point, mind you—to look exactly like every other crossover on the road. So the minivan is cheaper, will cost less to run day-to-day, and has... we'll call it "interesting" styling. My only gripe is holy poo poo why does the Odyssey have to weigh more than two tons (and the Traverse almost two and a half!).

Everything you've said against minivans are, in fact, their strong points. Opening the side door(s) to let the kids in without having to heave the door yourself is a wonderful thing, especially if your hands are full of groceries or what have you. I plan on getting a keyfob for my van, since it was equipped with the option from the factory but I didn't get one from the PO. An entertainment option in the back to "keep the snot noses quiet" is exactly what a pair of frazzled parents need on the way back from the store. You can be an enthusiast while driving a minivan. I am. But three kids don't fit in a Miata or <insert performance car here>. You are obviously not the target demographic.

I wrote all that then this guy goes

Hot Cops posted:

yeah I don't see why they keep marketing the odyssey to driving enthusiasts
and makes my point with far less words. :sigh:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Skyssx posted:

The engine, transfer case, transmission and front axle are swappable.

I'm not seeing how that make the Sequoia off-road capable?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

You can be an enthusiast while driving a minivan. I am. But three kids don't fit in a Miata or <insert performance car here>. You are obviously not the target demographic.

No, I'm not. They are horrible, and if you are willing to suspend your driving enthusiasm for that, great. That's my point.

I'm not willing to do that. My snotnoses sit in the back of a Rover or a Porsche because I won't drive a minivan. Amazingly enough, everything works out just absolutely fine. I don't actually need a schoolbus/living room combo with a steering wheel. I'd bet most people who drive them don't need that either. I's bet that most of us who are old enough to have children on here grew up being ferried around in a full sized sedan or wagon as the largest. That all worked out too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

I's bet that most of us who are old enough to have children on here grew up being ferried around in a full sized sedan or wagon as the largest. That all worked out too.

Which have about as much going for them in the way of driving enthusiasm as a modern US style minivan - which is to say considerably less than a more sanely sized one like you might find elsewhere in the world.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Which have about as much going for them in the way of driving enthusiasm as a modern US style minivan - which is to say considerably less than a more sanely sized one like you might find elsewhere in the world.

That statement betrays your lack of knowledge on full sized sedans and wagons. I don't even know where to start with this. I'm partial to Audis. I've driven a Passat wagon that was tuned up really nicely. I'm OK with a lot of Mercs in the full sized sedan category as well. Are you really trying to say that cars like these drive like an oversized minivan?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

That statement betrays your lack of knowledge on full sized sedans and wagons. I don't even know where to start with this. I'm partial to Audis. I've driven a Passat wagon that was tuned up really nicely. I'm OK with a lot of Mercs in the full sized sedan category as well. Are you really trying to say that cars like these drive like an oversized minivan?

Most people wouldn't have grown up around 7-series and big Audis, there would have been far more big domestic sedans and wagons.

Point is every subset of car has its good models and its bad models.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The older generations of US market Odyssey weren't that bad, driving wise. Not amazing, but surprisingly decent compared to their competitors. If I remember, they were based on the Accord platform and retained the front and rear wishbone suspension, etc. Also they had excellent reliability. Of course, they were smaller then, too, but this is just a reminder of back when Honda looked like it could do anything and do it right :sigh:.

The current generation, like seemingly all other recent Hondas, is just coasting on the goodwill of its predecessors. However, I will say that the hit-and-miss modern Honda styling is pretty acceptable on that one compared to its competitors.

The laughable thing was Toyota, of all people, trying to sell people on a "sport package" for the Sienna, with a blacked out grille and fake carbon fiber trim and everything.

Minivan with a body kit: SPEED and CLASS

What a joke that was. They also offer the Venza, which is basically the Camry Wagon.

Unfortunately, even given the generous price range (28k) there's not a whole out there.

Anyone have experience with the Mazda 5? That has 3 rows.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 20, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Motronic posted:

No, I'm not. They are horrible, and if you are willing to suspend your driving enthusiasm for that, great. That's my point.

I'm not willing to do that. My snotnoses sit in the back of a Rover or a Porsche because I won't drive a minivan. Amazingly enough, everything works out just absolutely fine. I don't actually need a schoolbus/living room combo with a steering wheel. I'd bet most people who drive them don't need that either. I's bet that most of us who are old enough to have children on here grew up being ferried around in a full sized sedan or wagon as the largest. That all worked out too.

Good luck transporting camping equipment + for a week + 2 canoes, a family of 5, and a dog in your Porsche, without the added cost of towing a trailer. On a 5 hour drive to the campsite. When you've got 3 teenagers, meaning whoever has to sit in the damned middle seat very unlucky.

Does driving a minivan mean you've given up on your driving enthusiasm? Hell no. If anything, it means you've got the right vehicle for the job - hauls lots of equipment and people for long periods of time in relative comfort. This is why you get a minivan, and something like an older 3-series for the 2nd car for the household.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

The older generations of US market Odyssey weren't that bad, driving wise. Not amazing, but surprisingly decent compared to their competitors. If I remember, they were based on the Accord platform and retained the front and rear wishbone suspension, etc. Also they had excellent reliability. Of course, they were smaller then, too, but this is just a reminder of back when Honda looked like it could do anything and do it right :sigh:.

The ones from the early 2000s all had the exploding 5 sp automatic transmission, same as the Accords, but much worse because it's a heavier vehicle and the assholes who buy minivans are always towing poo poo with them like they were trucks. Also I think the doors fell off a lot (problem with the sliding mechanism).

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Motronic posted:

That statement betrays your lack of knowledge on full sized sedans and wagons. I don't even know where to start with this. I'm partial to Audis. I've driven a Passat wagon that was tuned up really nicely. I'm OK with a lot of Mercs in the full sized sedan category as well.
"Full size sedan/wagon" and "family vehicle" are no longer synonymous in America. As was said earlier in the thread, the Impala is the last bastion of column shift, front bench, six person seating in a car. Literally everything else, aside from trucks, only has five seats. If you need more, there is little choice but to go to an SUV/CUV/minivan. New station wagons simply do not exist anymore. No domestic manufacturer has made one since the previous generation Taurus/Sable (8 seats option with the front bench) and the Magnum (buckets, no third seat). Volkswagen have said they will not be offering a Passat wagon, which leaves the Jetta, which doesn't have a third row seat. Honda gives us the Euro-spec Accord wagon with an Acura badge and price tag to match, and only offers a four cylinder, and no third seat. Audi and Merc are too damned expensive. BMW wants you to buy a godawful GT or X-series instead. Volvo was the last holdout, but they've said they'll be discontinuing station wagons in the US and shifting their focus to, you guessed it, crossovers.

Motronic posted:

(Minivans) are horrible
Why? "Because they don't handle all that well"? They're not designed to be cone whores. They're designed to get you and your brood around in comfort.

"Because they don't get very good fuel economy"? Vans these days get phenomenal economy when compared to both their predecessors and their contemporaries in the CUV market.

"Because... because... they're big and stupid and ucky and I hate them!!" I hate crossovers just as vehemently. I can see their niche though—for people who are too cool to admit they need a van.

Motronic posted:

My snotnoses sit in the back of a Rover or a Porsche because I won't drive a minivan. Amazingly enough, everything works out just absolutely fine.
How many? Two grade-schoolers will fit pretty snugly in the back of a 911, I'm sure. As for Rover, that means you're not American, and don't see why us dumb Yanks need enormous everything.

Motronic posted:

I don't actually need a schoolbus/living room combo with a steering wheel. I'd bet most people who drive them don't need that either.
You're probably right. I don't need a van. I made do with a Fox-body Mustang several years ago. It sucked harder than you think. Having a school bus on beck and call makes lots of things incredibly easy. It means I don't need to borrow or rent a truck next time I buy a bed or couch. Same for when I move next year. Or when my brother needs his poo poo heap Deville towed to the shop again. Or when I want to take my three kids, wife and mother-in-law to the park.

Motronic posted:

I's bet that most of us who are old enough to have children on here grew up being ferried around in a full sized sedan or wagon as the largest. That all worked out too.
Well, in my case, my family didn't have a "proper" family vehicle until I was in high school. In order of my recollection, my childhood rides were: '78 Firebird, '69 Beetle, none (public transport), 1986 GMC Sierra, and 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue.

Cream_Filling posted:

Anyone have experience with the Mazda 5? That has 3 rows.
Three rows of buckets, total of six.

And once again, in the time it took me to write this, someone else said what I'm trying to say in less words.

TrueChaos posted:

Good luck transporting camping equipment + for a week + 2 canoes, a family of 5, and a dog in your Porsche, without the added cost of towing a trailer. On a 5 hour drive to the campsite. When you've got 3 teenagers, meaning whoever has to sit in the damned middle seat very unlucky.

Does driving a minivan mean you've given up on your driving enthusiasm? Hell no. If anything, it means you've got the right vehicle for the job - hauls lots of equipment and people for long periods of time in relative comfort. This is why you get a minivan, and something like an older 3-series for the 2nd car for the household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Back to posting about new cars you like, has anyone mentioned the new morgan three wheeler? £25k plus options (chrome & vinyl bomber nose-art) for a harley ss engined 3 wheeled 2 seater that practically demands leather flying cap & goggles :

http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/