Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Drunk Tomato posted:

Why can't they just pay some guy to type it out for 10 bucks an hour?
It would take forever, and be riddled with errors because people can't type error free all day long.

Better to just OCR it than get a person involved. People are slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, typing takes a million times longer than OCR, and it definitely wouldn't eliminate the rounds of proofreading (which have to be done by fluent English speakers, and if you want good ones, you're looking at more like $20/hour+).

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Can anyone recommend a good hard Kindle 3 case? I bought an eva/nylon one and while its harder than a skin it still seems less protective than the kindle cardboard box.

Also has anyone found that the power switch seems stiffer and lighter sometimes? And is there any point using the switch if all its doing is wiping the display? Is it actually using less power?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I flip it if I'm about to stick my Kindle in my purse, I don't want to acidentally bump a pageflip button.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, this is the sticking point. It's not super unusual for the publishers to have digital rights for older titles (or assume they do). The problem is that they're a lot harder to digitize.

IIRC Michael Stackpole actually went out and snagged the torrents of all of his books and used those as the base for his digital editions.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

ulmont posted:

IIRC Michael Stackpole actually went out and snagged the torrents of all of his books and used those as the base for his digital editions.
I hope he reimbursed the original scanners for the work they put into creating those files.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

I was today bought a Kindle by my brother for my birthday I love my brother but he couldn't afford the case honestly, for some reason I'll overlook this, no idea why does anyone know any UK retailers that aren't internet based who sell good Kindle covers?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there some sort of spat going on between Amazon and Penguin at the moment?

I mentioned earlier that I couldn't buy any Charles Stross books for my Kindle but as I was browsing my wishlist, I noticed I must have added a few of his books a while back. I also noticed they all are "No longer available for purchase, this item has been removed by Penguin Group USA".

I checked a few other titles in my wishlist (Jared Diamond's Collapse comes to mind) and noticed quite a few have been removed and they're all titles published by Penguin.

The titles are still on Amazon.com, but they're no longer available for sale in Canada. Is this true for the US too?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Nope, seems like it's just Canada...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I read back a few pages, but I don't really see an answer.

I was playing with some Sony thing yesterday. A friend has a kindle and god knows why, but the gray background makes me feel ill to my stomach. The little sony thing didn't do that. But is it worth $129?

I have no idea what model it was. I just know I could poke the screen so I guess it's a touch model of some kind.

:ohdear: All this new tech is pretty intimidating because it wasn't nearly as popular when I left the US.

E: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Pocket-Reader-Silver-PRS350SC/dp/B003Z97FOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311129796&sr=8-2 It looked just like that and the dimensions are right, so I'm assuming it's that.

Oh hey look, a comedian. VVVV

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 20, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I read back a few pages, but I don't really see an answer.

I was playing with some Sony thing yesterday. A friend has a kindle and god knows why, but the gray background makes me feel ill to my stomach. The little sony thing didn't do that. But is it worth $129?

I have no idea what model it was. I just know I could poke the screen so I guess it's a touch model of some kind.

:ohdear: All this new tech is pretty intimidating because it wasn't nearly as popular when I left the US.
http://tinyurl.com/3r9fx8r

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

A friend has a kindle and god knows why, but the gray background makes me feel ill to my stomach. The little sony thing didn't do that.

Sounds like your friend has an old model Kindle. The new models use the same screen as the new Sonys.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

Sounds like your friend has an old model Kindle. The new models use the same screen as the new Sonys.

Yes, it's less grey, but still grey, but mainly the letters are more black, so it appears less grey. Actually the grey background is good when reading in direct sunlight. I always get annoyed with blisteringly white book pages in such situations, because they reflect the sunlight so strongly it hurts while reading.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
This is why I have the gray (Graphite) Kindle. The contrast almost makes the screen look white.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spug posted:

This is why I have the gray (Graphite) Kindle. The contrast almost makes the screen look white.

The commuter train I ride to work every day is always a good litmus test of what gadgets people are buying. I've seen at least 10 different people with the graphite Kindle 3 and nobody with the white version.

I used to see a few Nook colors, but lately most have been Kindles and Ipads.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Algol Star posted:

I was today bought a Kindle by my brother for my birthday I love my brother but he couldn't afford the case honestly, for some reason I'll overlook this, no idea why does anyone know any UK retailers that aren't internet based who sell good Kindle covers?
PC World and (big) Tescos both sell Kindles and accessories.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Quantify! posted:

http://tinyurl.com/3r9fx8r

Please don't do this. It's stupid and passive-aggressive.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&tag=kwab-20&docId=1000705681

Amazon is having a big sale through July 27, more than 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Amazon is having a big sale through July 27, more than 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99.

Anything in particular stand out? I'll probably pick up As I Lay Dying, at least.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Looking at the list of bargain best-sellers (you guys know you can get the Bible for free right?), I'm thinking a good way to get some beer money might be to self-publish some 250 page hot and steamy romance novel with a name like "A Kiss at Midnight" and wait until the next sale like this comes around and sell it for $2 or $3.

There are some classics, plus some well-received newer titles like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, too. Plus a lot of books about Jesus. A lot of books about Jesus.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 20, 2011

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Looking at the list of bargain best-sellers (you guys know you can get the Bible for free right?), I'm thinking a good way to get some beer money might be to self-publish some 250 page hot and steamy romance novel with a name like "A Kiss at Midnight" and wait until the next sale like this comes around and sell it for $2 or $3.

I've considered this more than a few times.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Toebone posted:

Anything in particular stand out? I'll probably pick up As I Lay Dying, at least.

Been thinking about getting Eureka Street: A Novel of Ireland Like No Other and/or Ghosts of Belfast.

There is one guy who sold a million books on Amazon for all about 2-3 dollars each.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Toebone posted:

A few from what I've seen, like The Lake by Yoshimoto and Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell at least. There's a few nice deals in there, actually.

quote:

There is one guy who sold a million books on Amazon for all about 2-3 dollars each.
Amanda Hocking did, but she was also writing crappy YA fantasy, so.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

There are some classics, plus some well-received newer titles like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, too. Plus a lot of books about Jesus. A lot of books about Jesus.

A lot of books about Jesus.

I picked up "Voices of the Foreign Legion" and "Daily Life in the Middle Ages."
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QHYV22/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TUTVZO/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I really like pretty much everything about my Kindle except that all of my books just sit there in one big, unsorted list. I know you can put them in collections but it is a pain to go through dozens of books one by one. If there was some way to manipulate collections from a PC it would be fine, but doing it on the device just sucks.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I really like pretty much everything about my Kindle except that all of my books just sit there in one big, unsorted list. I know you can put them in collections but it is a pain to go through dozens of books one by one. If there was some way to manipulate collections from a PC it would be fine, but doing it on the device just sucks.

Calibre has a plugin that will let you do that.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm pretty sure Calibre does this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My big problem with the Kindle section of Amazon is how there's just SO MUCH garbage on there you have to wade through if you're just browsing. Its great if you know exactly what you're looking for but if not watch out. Its especially bad for sci-fi.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

muscles like this? posted:

My big problem with the Kindle section of Amazon is how there's just SO MUCH garbage on there you have to wade through if you're just browsing. Its great if you know exactly what you're looking for but if not watch out. Its especially bad for sci-fi.

Psh. The best scifi is open-copyright already, anyway. :smug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

muscles like this? posted:

It's just like browsing a brick and mortar bookstore!

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Sci-fi/fantasy shelves at brick and mortars are just rows upon rows of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, so I'm not sure if that's accurate

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Sci-fi/fantasy shelves at brick and mortars are just rows upon rows of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, so I'm not sure if that's accurate

Funnily enough, this description only applies to my local used book store and not the local Border's.

But yes, most of the stuff you can find on the Kindle in the Sci-fi section sucks.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sperg Victorious posted:

Just FYI, at a glance it seems most of the equivalent "Nookbooks" are also on sale at B&N.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The brick and mortar I go to keeps the licensed stuff in its own little mini section in the sci-fi area.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Picked up a Kindle yesterday because of this thread. I am, so far, very impressed.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

wheatpuppy posted:

Just FYI, at a glance it seems most of the equivalent "Nookbooks" are also on sale at B&N.

It makes sense, seeing as how a lot of the sales prices have been set by the publisher. Says as much on any of the Amazon kindle pages.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Sperg Victorious posted:

Calibre has a plugin that will let you do that.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635

Awesome, thanks! Ok now it's perfect.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Is there any way to bulk purchase Kindle books? Several of the ones on sale look good, but I'd prefer to avoid a ton of $0.99 etc. charges if I can just buy them all at once.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Jigsaw posted:

Is there any way to bulk purchase Kindle books? Several of the ones on sale look good, but I'd prefer to avoid a ton of $0.99 etc. charges if I can just buy them all at once.

Apple seems to wait a few days to charge your cc for App store and iTunes stuff, I always get receipts with 2-3 purchases. I'm not sure if Amazon does the same thing, but they I'd guess they do mostly because it should be cheaper for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

It's just like browsing a brick and mortar bookstore!

I dunno, at least the authors of those books in a physical bookstore had to put some effort into convincing a publisher to distribute them. The Amazon sci-fi/fantasy section is a sea of self-published books with synopses like "John Dagger fights the Zorglings with his Mark 2 Alpha Centurion Version 8.374 Interceptor Mechazoid with Zinc-Unobtainium machine screws and a Smitt & Weston clip packed with 9000 caliber hyper bulletrockets."

• Locked thread