Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it's actually been bugging me a little bit how much Annie looks like Surma in certain panels more recently. I know it's probably really tough to get that whole gradual growing thing, but she's 14 (right?) and is looking really similar to her mother already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The expression on Jack's face in panel six is a nice touch.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, it's actually been bugging me a little bit how much Annie looks like Surma in certain panels more recently. I know it's probably really tough to get that whole gradual growing thing, but she's 14 (right?) and is looking really similar to her mother already.

Surma always looked pretty youthful, and remember a lot of what we've seen of her has been in flashback form - when she'd have been only a little older than Annie is now. Besides that, women often reach physical adulthood earlier than men. I was being regularly mistaken for my mother by her family / old college friends by the time I was 16, much to my irritation at the time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, I wasnt imagining it. After going back to the last chapter their proportions have changed quite a bit.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, I wasnt imagining it. After going back to the last chapter their proportions have changed quite a bit.

I've been wondering for a while now how much of the change we've been seeing in the characters is Tom portraying their aging and how much is simply the evolution of his style.

Also, is it just me or is Annie actually reaching out to touch someone else (other than Kat) something of a new thing?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

Also, is it just me or is Annie actually reaching out to touch someone else (other than Kat) something of a new thing?
You might say that ever since Annie got more in touch with her fiery ancestry, she's become a little less frigid.

:v:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Fried Chicken posted:

I want an avatar of Bud now

Work in progress:

Could use a little cleanup.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Oneiros posted:

I've been wondering for a while now how much of the change we've been seeing in the characters is Tom portraying their aging and how much is simply the evolution of his style.
Everyone looks older in those long coats than in the school uniforms. Clearly Jack has developed etheric time-coats.

Etheric mufflers and hats to follow shortly.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
My, they are almost adults! (Tom this is a good thing)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Poor Kat. Maybe they can find her an owl to chat with or something.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Oh man, the new stip is such a tease. I do like Tom's comment though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Madrox posted:

Oh man, the new stip is such a tease. I do like Tom's comment though.

- Every page

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
calling it now, we will get some variation of Jack saying "so that's what Jones is!" when it cuts back to them after the story/stories

Also, the first time Paz didn't come with, this time she is hanging off Matt's chair. ~*~ young love ~*~

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
We're building up an endless chain of INTERRUPTED CONVERSATION. This entire chapter will be one point introduced then interrupted, page to page.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I hope this chapter gives us more characterization for the other students, they've always just kind of been there and I want to know more about them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
GC is really one of those things I should read once a month but darn it I can't help but check every Monday, Wednesday, Friday even if it means perpetual cliffhangers, teasers, and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth to know what happens next.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Gunnerkrigg Court is the only webcomic I check at work. The url is easy enough for me to remember and it helps brighten my mornings. I wish I got up early enough to check them all before work, but...that's not happening. And checking every webcomic would look suspicious as I tromp through like five dozen tabs.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

VanSandman posted:

GC is really one of those things I should read once a month but darn it I can't help but check every Monday, Wednesday, Friday even if it means perpetual cliffhangers, teasers, and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth to know what happens next.

That's my issue. There are other webcomics I enjoy reading, but only do so about once a month so I catch a whole or most of a story arc unfolding. Gunnerkrigg Court I tell myself to do that with, but then at 2am (my time) on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, just before I go to bed, I have to check it.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

CURSED
INSTRUMENTS

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dammit Who? posted:

CURSED
INSTRUMENTS

Are you one of those guys who thinks the glass is half-empty? It clearly says Nursed Instruments. It's a place to find instruments who need a new home.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
He clearly should have waited and not used his Star Power so soon.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
The guitar is Mort.
CASE CLOSED.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I love how each of these ends with a tiny little cliffhanger. It's compelling without being cheap.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Dodgeball posted:

The guitar is Mort.
CASE CLOSED.

So when John plays him... Oh I feel dirty now.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Dammit Who? posted:

CURSED
INSTRUMENTS

Probably, but we can be sure it's one of these :q:
code:
grep "u.sed" /usr/share/dict/words                                                              
accursed
accursedly
accursedness
compulsed
convulsedly
coursed
cursed
cursedly
cursedness
cussed
cussedly
cussedness
disguised
disguisedly
disguisedness
nondisbursed
nursedom
pursed
revulsed
trussed
unaccursed
unbruised
unconvulsed
uncoursed
uncursed
undisbursed
undiscoursed
undiscussed
undisguised
undisguisedly
undisguisedness
unfussed
unmussed
unpercussed
unpursed
unrepulsed
unsedate
unsedentary
unseditious
unseduce
unseduced
unseducible
unseductive
unsedulous
untrussed
edit: my money is on unseducible instruments

Pardot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 26, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My question is why do they have so many cursed instruments to necessitate a dedicated closet? At some point the cursed instruments were just piling up and it got so bad somebody went, "gently caress it, put em all in that closet we don't use". And so now that closet is the cursed instrument closet and sometimes someone will find a new one and some tired old woman behind a desk will collect it, and march it down to the cursed instruments closet and find a place for it. And this is normal. They don't even put a lock on the door it's not a big deal to them.

Orientation for new teachers must be nuts. "OK so here's the janitors closet, if you spill something you'll find cleaning supplies here, here are the bathrooms, there's the cursed instrument closet, oh and here's where we keep the body stealing demon sealed away. Don't look him in the eyes. That's about it, any questions?" "Yah you forgot to show me where the break room is".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My question is why do they have so many cursed instruments to necessitate a dedicated closet?

They seem to have closets for everything. That was established way back.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=7

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Given that "No Spare Robot Parts" contained spare robot parts, clearly the USED Instrument room contained only brand new unused instruments!

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Nipponophile posted:

Gee thanks for linking this. rear end. Now I'm re-reading the whole comic.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Nipponophile posted:

See, I look at this, then go back to the Dominic Deegan thread, and start to hate Mookie that much more.

Look at the art improvement over time!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

UnoriginalMind posted:

Gee thanks for linking this. rear end. Now I'm re-reading the whole comic.

You're welcome. :tipshat:

BexGu posted:

See, I look at this, then go back to the Dominic Deegan thread, and start to hate Mookie that much more.

Gee, you're kind of a glass is half-empty kind of guy, aren't you? I just look at it and start to admire Tom even more (no homo).

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

We should have a rule against linking to pages more than a chapter ago. No, I didn't need that hour, nope. Also, a rule against fun. No fun here.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Is this guy supposed to be the headmaster?

For comparison

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Geekner posted:

We should have a rule against linking to pages more than a chapter ago. No, I didn't need that hour, nope. Also, a rule against fun. No fun here.

Your avatar renders your suggestion terrible. Instead, all mentions of past events must now be accompanied by a a page link and tempting endorsement.

e.g. The chapter where Annie and Kat wander into a magical scientastic simulated Narnia garden and eat cherries and it's the most adorable thing ever committed to a page.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Fried Chicken posted:

I seem to remember Tom stating that he's just some random teacher, not a returning character. Can't remember where I read that, though.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

BexGu posted:

Look at the art improvement over time!

You and I both know there are WAY more reasons to hate DD than mere artwork.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Huh.

I don't know what I was expecting from the haunted Mandolin.
But I don't think it was that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
We need Mort.

To the Batcave!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

His art has come a long way. poo poo is pretty drat disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fried Chicken posted:

He looks more like the mysterious besuited chaps who were after Jack a while ago. Note the buttons. The regular teachers seem to have a more typical dress code (well, most of them)