Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

Saoshyant posted:

Just did the same thing minutes ago. Controls were clunky as hell, but goddamn if it wasn't brilliant all throughout. I've huge smile in my face right now. Best title I got in the summer sale without question.

Man, didn't you just fall in love with that silly ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Re: Back to the Future

KingCute posted:

Man, didn't you just fall in love with that silly ending?

Yeah, me too, drat. Finished the game something like three hours ago.

That last episode was bitchin'; as was Episode 3. The other three eps were somewhat less great, but all in all I loved it. It actually almost felt like a new installment of Back to the Future. :frogbon:

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

Zat posted:

Re: Back to the Future

Yeah, me too, drat. Finished the game something like three hours ago.

That last episode was bitchin'; as was Episode 3. The other three eps were somewhat less great, but all in all I loved it. It actually almost felt like a new installment of Back to the Future. :frogbon:

Dude, yes. Episode 3 is when it started getting real. I pretty much hated Doc in episode 5 for a good while.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As a major BTTF fan I really want to play those games (I own them) but I also don't cause I can only experience it fresh once. :smith:

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, I finished BTTF a while back as well and I was floored with the quality. The only thing that held it back some were a few glitches and inconsistent graphics. Some objects and other things were really well textured and then other things look like they belonged on the PS2.

Overall most of that is pretty minor and doesn't detract from the experience much. Also chiming in to say that the ending was ridiculous in the best way.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Anyone else have a problem with just playing the loving game on a reasonable difficulty to get through it? I have some kind of horrible nerd ego problem because I just bought Dungeons of Dreadmore and refuse to play on anything other than Rogue/Hardcore/Random Start. As a result I will probably never finish the game but I still refuse to change. :(

Same goes for Metro 2033, which is an absolutely awesome gem and much enhanced overall by the difficulty, but again, I may never actually finish the motherfucker.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cubemario posted:

That's terrible and all, but it'd be even more terrible to get a new computer and waste money on things you're unlikely to make use out of. Unless you have software which you are fluent in that makes use of that extra power, you won't need 16gb of RAM. Neither would you need 2 video cards unless you are doing a multi-monitor game setup or 3D. Even a 6 core processor you're unlikely to make any use out of for games.

I'm not going to need it for games that are out NOW, yeah. But I'm forward thinking this time. Gonna make me a computer that lasts for once, instead of one that's outdated in 2 years.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Woozy posted:

Anyone else have a problem with just playing the loving game on a reasonable difficulty to get through it?

Hey, as long as you're playing (and not just buying) and enjoying it what's the problem?

In retrospect I probably shouldn't have played Quantum of Solace on the second highest difficulty. Deaths came often and suddenly, and although I completed the game it left something of a sour taste in my mouth. I can't put my finger on it, but the whole game has some vaguely annoying thing going on throughout it all. Consequently I had to play it 30 minutes at a time and then go do something else. I don't regret the purchase but I don't want to play it again. Setpieces and level themes were cool, most of the minigames were crap and the gunplay was fun or horribly boring depending on the level. Thank god stealth was not mandatory and James could gun down whole SWAT teams with only his pistol.

Borderlands is waiting for my buddy to come along, Hydrophobia is still bugging and Majesty 2 I can only do maybe one scenario per day. Anyone want to point out what to start next?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hobgadling/games?tab=all

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm not going to need it for games that are out NOW, yeah. But I'm forward thinking this time. Gonna make me a computer that lasts for once, instead of one that's outdated in 2 years.

When you have the money to go above the usual "budget" gaming rig... Well you should go for it. I overpaid this Core i7 920, 6 gigs DDR3 1600mhz and 2 x 4870 1gig Crossfire setup with a nice motherboard. Besides MMO, I usually don't have problem maxing new games at 1680x1050.

I bought it in August 2009. I feel like I should change it or something, yet it's more powerful than what "normal" people buy to game nowadays.

So yes, I approve of your decision even if I think it's a bit overkill. Especially if you can go with it on a 1000$ budget that won't force you to stop eating for a few months!

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Finished my third play through of Alpha Protocol since I received it during the summer sale. I think I'm done with that for awhile. If I can manage to pull myself away from Dungeons of Dredmor, I might actually start in on another of the many games I picked up during the sale.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Saoshyant posted:

Just did the same thing minutes ago. Controls were clunky as hell, but goddamn if it wasn't brilliant all throughout. I've huge smile in my face right now. Best title I got in the summer sale without question.

That was the best possible ending it could have. And left me wanting for more. Goddamnit, Telltale. Goddamnit.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I would recommend checking with the parts picking thread over at SH/SC before jumping the gun and see if they can give you some helpful information (which they will).

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Hemish posted:

When you have the money to go above the usual "budget" gaming rig... Well you should go for it. I overpaid this Core i7 920, 6 gigs DDR3 1600mhz and 2 x 4870 1gig Crossfire setup with a nice motherboard. Besides MMO, I usually don't have problem maxing new games at 1680x1050.

I bought it in August 2009. I feel like I should change it or something, yet it's more powerful than what "normal" people buy to game nowadays.

So yes, I approve of your decision even if I think it's a bit overkill. Especially if you can go with it on a 1000$ budget that won't force you to stop eating for a few months!

Eh, "future proofing" is a bad idea generally and an outright scam when it comes to PC Gaming. I mean it sort of all depends on what's on sale at Newegg anyway but it's amazing how much more mileage you can get out of your cash if you simply budget yourself and upgrade more frequently as opposed to blowing a grand or two on the absolute cutting edge in hopes that you won't be hilariously outdated in two years. The way parts tend to work is that you get very small gains in performance for exponentially increasing cost beyond a certain point and if you just keep up to date with sales and that sort of thing you can do PC gaming much cheaper than people tend to think.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I basically doing this very thing this summer. I've currently taken about two weeks off from work to burn some vacation time and am trying to power through my games collection.

What's actually more heinous is my collection of games on console. While it's not large due to me trading in games I have actually beaten I've basically got it down to some 30 odd games some of which I haven't opened the cellophane on.

I don't know if it's been suggested (too lazy to read through thirty pages of "Hi, my names is"), but any chance we can just broaden this to a 'Gamer's Anonymous' type thing?

My Backloggery:

I just finished Uncharted 2 in time for UC3 after letting UC1 and 2 sit on my shelf unopened for over a year. My quick review:
As good as the first in terms of 'prettiness' and depth of story. All the platforming is still there and lots of bad guy shooting. My complaints are; A lack of Sully. The fact bad guys don't have to stop and reload so it makes opportunities to come out of cover to throw down fire rare and you end up taking a lot of hits (still don't die much but it's annoying if you are trying to play 'semi-realistic'). And the boss fight at the end was really disappointing and wasn't needed. It comes just past the climax of the story-line so ends up being as if you'd just blown your load and then your girl farts in your face as you roll over to dwell on your accomplishment. Still a must by if you like the series and the only good 'platformer' series out right now.

I'm currently playing Transformer: War for Cybertron on 360. I borrowed it from a friend and he keeps wanting to "discuss it" and is all "have you play it yet? have you played it yet? have you..." It's a pretty fun mindless action game. The levels aren't hard, its slightly one demensional but flying around as Starscream is pretty cool if you're a Transformers nut.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 19, 2011

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Just beat half-Life 1! Working on HL: Opposing Force now!

Also, I've been told that HL: Blue Shift (which is next) sucks. Why is that?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Waffleopolis posted:

Terrible levels, really short, and doesn't introduce anything new, like OF did. It's also possible to be unable to continue early in the game due to a bug with an elevator. Blue Shift Unlocked should fix that though.

And I hope you like Headcrabs jumping at you from around corners and in vents all the time.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Waffleopolis posted:

I think it's fun. Also, it adds several new elements and weapons. It introduces the character of Barney.

I guess it's the weakest of the Half-Life games, but it's still really good. It definitely doesn't suck.

edit: I should really do some research before I start talking.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 19, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

The levels are kind of boring and, unlike Op4, it introduces no new enemies, weapons or design elements. It's not bad per se, but it's very much a letdown after HL1 and Op4.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had more fun with Blue Shift than Half-Life. The level design made more sense and the platforming wasn't so Zen. Zen is a blip in size and falling into the void won't always kill you, though it still has platforming that expects you to fall repeatedly.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

ToxicFrog posted:

The levels are kind of boring and, unlike Op4, it introduces no new enemies, weapons or design elements. It's not bad per se, but it's very much a letdown after HL1 and Op4.
I think that's why I dislike it as much as I do. I probably wouldn't if I had played BS before OF. BS just didn't have those "A BUG THAT SHOOTS ELECTRICITY?! A BARNACLE GRAPPLE?!" moments.

For thread relevance, I beat Doom 2. Overall, not as good as Doom. 2 had some great maps but also a decent amount of bad to mediocre ones. Just about all of Doom's maps (from the original first 3 episodes anyway) were great.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 19, 2011

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
I could not resist the sale two weekends ago with all of Kings Bounty on sale for 7 bucks. Played it for a few hours and have not gone back.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

TheJoker138 posted:

Future proofing is a HUGE waste of money. Top of the line stuff you're going to pay through the nose for now is going to get it's rear end kicked by mid range, affordable pieces a year or so down the road.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cross Doom off the list. That one has a fair bit of history; I tried it back in the late 90s and was completely unimpressed. Between enjoying Painkiller more recently, the release of the Brutal Doom mod, and the 90s FPS Megathread, I was convinced to try it again and found myself actually quite enjoying it. At least until the bonus episode, Thy Flesh Consumed, which can gently caress right off.

And now, back to New Vegas.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Managed to smack Fortix and Penumbra: Overture off the list. I'm unofficially playing Amnesia on my gal's steam account (I bought it for her, now she's too much of a wuss to keep playing it :v:), and other than ARES, I have little else on my "Now Playing". I might start trying the Penny Arcade RPGs, which I was graciously gifted, but never played. Are they good? More importantly, are they short?

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Morter posted:

I might start trying the Penny Arcade RPGs, which I was graciously gifted, but never played. Are they good? More importantly, are they short?

Yeah they're very similar to the Paper Mario games and only a few hours each.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm really enjoying Puzzle Agent. I like the Layton series but this game has made me aware of the disconnect between Layton's story and the puzzles. Telltale did an excellent job making the puzzles believable in the context of the story.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Wow, do I have my work cut out for me.

I rolled the dice, like a silly goose (in the form of Fortune Cookies, god bless that feature), and got:

-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
-Gothic 2
-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (I actually rolled Two Thrones, but decided I should at least start the series proper)

As well as A.R.E.S., which I still have to beat, and the Penny Arcade RPGs. The latter three aren't the biggest of deals, I'm sure, but the first two listed are pretty large games. These are going to take forever :negative:

Edit: This would probably be a good time to ask for must-have mods or graphic enhancers for GTA:VC. I don't really need or care for a total conversion, but anything that makes the run through a bit...better.

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 19, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I started playing Trine and man, what a fun little game. If you didn't get it during the summer sale for $2 (and didn't already own it) you are missing out. I am only on the second level but I wish more platformers were like this. I was debating between Trine and GTA: Vice City, but Trine won out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Trine is like a Lost Vikings + Platforms + Pyshics. It's awesome, and I was really surprised with its quality during the summer sale. I'll go back to finish it at some point, not because I feel forced to or anything but because I want.

Soral
May 30, 2009

I organized my Steam games into what I have and haven't beaten and I realized that I probably need this thread, 'cause almost half my games are unbeaten, and half that are yet to even be played. So here's a backlog thing.

I never played Deus Ex in it's day, and I understand that it's supposed to be a classic, but I feel as if it has not aged very delicately :(
Either way, I'll be starting with it and Alpha Protocol, and as always I'm slowly chipping away at Just Cause 2 so as to not go absolutely insane due to the millions of collectibles.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Don't restart Alpha Protocol! It's short and then you get to replay as a completely different Thorton and see how different everything can get.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of Alpha Protocol, I'm really enjoying my first playthrough.

I went in expecting crap gameplay but it's not that bad at all. No worse than Deus Ex combat. As per what most people said, I'm well on my way to maxing Stealth and Pistols and it's been pretty easy so far.

I'm tempted to do an rear end in a top hat Thorton but I'll stick to the "Professional" path for now. I love all the different perks you get for doing different things.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

SmokinDan posted:

Speaking of Alpha Protocol, I'm really enjoying my first playthrough.

I went in expecting crap gameplay but it's not that bad at all. No worse than Deus Ex combat. As per what most people said, I'm well on my way to maxing Stealth and Pistols and it's been pretty easy so far.

I'm tempted to do an rear end in a top hat Thorton but I'll stick to the "Professional" path for now. I love all the different perks you get for doing different things.
rear end in a top hat Thorton is required by law to be a shotgun toting rear end in a top hat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alpha Protocol controls exactly like Mass Effect 1 but had the misfortune to come out after Mass Effect 2 which convinced everyone the first game sucked. There's no doubt in my mind the game would've fared better if released a year earlier like it was supposed to.

I'm having a love/hate relationship with Shank. I love it as a beat'em up and the difficulty curve ramps up nicely but there are so many bullshit moments like D'Angelo and his loving rockets which you couldn't predict and would blindly die while doing platform elements). In the level before that there's a dude shooting grenades at you which are tiny and impossible to see. I ended dying in a CUTSCENE because the camera pans and they continue the gameplay before it pans back to you. Still, I crave more brawlers give 'em to me now!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 20, 2011

Soral
May 30, 2009

I haven't touched Alpha Protocol in almost 6 months is why I'm feeling like restarting, but I suppose you're right. Also I went with sneaky, smug Thorton, and if I do play it again I'll definitely go with rear end in a top hat Thorton.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I have a horrible habit of putting things in my backlog...and beating things that are not in my backlog.

Currently playing the gently caress out of Amnesia (it scares me in broad daylight :cry:), and just beat Shatter. I love the music and the details of that game, but I can only play so little at a time, I don't know why.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've started Descent 2, I'm five or six levels in and I *hate* the thief-bot. Although it is satisfying to hunt it down, corner it, and blow it up to get your stuff back. Other than that, it's just as fun as the first one, with better level design (though that may be arguable).

I'm still playing Just Cause, but my gaming-ADD made me find another game to alternate with.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Swords & Soldiers SP campaign is over, and after one try of multiplayer I'm pretty sure I don't want to play that one again either. Aztec campaign was the best.

I like the idea of the underlying actual game, but it depends way too much on pre-planning. Someone should make it a competition of actual algorithms, instead of pseudo-clicky game that it now is.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I keep getting distracted from my games I can actually FINISH. So far since the sale I've put over 30 hours in to AI wars, 30 min to 2 hours in a variety of other games and at least another 15 hours into SS13. :smith:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat Sam and Max Season 1: Episode 5. Very interesting setting, I hope the creativity keeps up through the rest of the series.