Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Odette posted:

These tyres are SO bald. Is that .. bad?
That guy picked the worst set of tires to buy as takeoffs. Those power races are 1) old race tires, (probably 2008ish DOT date) which is very sketchy if they haven't been stored right. 2) they're michelin race tires, which are EXTREMELY prone to heat cycling and really should never be ran on the street. 3) power races in general are pretty shite, one of my friends had the front tuck on his (now my) r6 at 50mph on a set of those, and another friend had a rear chunk on him at Jennings. 4) they're nearly bald.

The guys riding was pretty bad (the on-off-on throttle thing at the beginning of the video makes me shudder), so that compounded with roached tires will send you on a mission to mars.

edit: ^^^ i think a lot of it is just riders hanging out up there as they make passes up and down the mountain. sometimes at deal's gap we'll go hang out with killboy and do some people watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I found the CB400F to be a fine but boring/heavy bike. It just felt like a modern-ish bike but was fairly slow. The throttle being heavy was probably a result of the lack of lube in it. I lubed the one I had and it made a huge difference. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the experience of riding my RDs. In my opinion part of the reason you own an old bike is to experience something that is a lot different than a modern bike. The CB feels like a fairly modern bike in my opinion.

RE: Cafe Racers
I have to laugh at the thought that you can reverse a cafe racer by just pulling the seat and bars off. No mention of trying to make the thing handle any better. Cafe racering in my opinion is no better than putting a bodykit on a Honda civic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Mcqueen posted:

These Mulholland videos are always good, but something bugs me about them. Do people just chill in full race leathers on that hill for several hours at a time, waiting for people to crash? If I was going to sit on a hill in the sun I'd have shorts and a t shirt on.

Photographers chill there for hours at a time waiting for people to crash (oh and also taking pictures to put on a website for riders to purchase). The people on bikes, I'd guess, are just using it as a "scenic" place to stop and have a break. I don't know their roads at all, but here there are meet/break points at various parts of the fun backroads. There are 3 or four roads that people especially love to ride, so at any end of those roads, or at the two tiny towns in the middle where the roads intersect, you can come across a line of bikes parked at the right time on Sunday. None of our places are on a hairpin like that, however, so maybe some of them are just looky-loos.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching the onboard for the HfL review, it looks like that's the last turn on that run and everyone parks or turns around at a scenic parking area another 100 feet after it. I'd probably wander down to that corner and check things out for a few minutes, too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Marv Hushman posted:

Evict the spiders from that sumbitch and get it straight down to hipster bike night. I see nothing but amazing possibilities here. Do a quick image search of CB400 cafe racer and behold the awesome.

actually... it already is a hipster cafe of awesome.
it's really loving fun. I think I may just pull the carbs and clean them, new tires, and ride the poo poo out of it until something explodes. then do it up all nice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Marv Hushman posted:

, and this isn't exactly a '69 sandcast.
no, it's much rarer than that.

Bucephalus posted:

SOHC/4 cafes have been done to death. Please stop :(
no.
I'm building legit roadracers anyway. Clubman bars and a chopped seat, do not a cafe bike, make.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How do the 400s compare to say 500/550s? Cause I really hated the 550s. Throttle too heavy, not that much power, weigh too much, too topheavy... 400 any different?
this bike weighs <300lbs

Marv Hushman posted:

Double Over-Head Cam 4 Forums > Tech Forums > Project Shop > OH LOOK, ANOTHER IDIOT TRYING TO GET PODS TO WORK, SOMEONE KILL HIM BEFORE HE MULTIPLIES :)

actually...

Bucephalus posted:

That's only a problem with the stock Keihin VB's, which are going straight into the trash (where Honda should have left them). :colbert:
^^this. The pods are a necessity for my yoshi exhaust and daily riding. Then again... I can't exactly get a stock airbox to bolt up to my Keihin CR's now can I? :smug:

Bucephalus posted:

The DOHC guys do a lot of upgrading to modern components: aluminum monoshock swingarms, 32mm inverted forks, 17" wheels, stuff like that. I would like to see a SOHC built the same way, but with the original vintage styling cues (Varnish Blue 400F with that sexy exhaust header).
I'm working on it. Like I said, 2 CB750 projects commissioned by friends and my goldwing must get finished first. Then I'm free to work on others. I'll probably just clean this up a bit and ride it pretty much as is for a while though. I've got other bikes that are half done (that's optimistic talk for completely disassembled).

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 20, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

These Mulholland videos are always good, but something bugs me about them. Do people just chill in full race leathers on that hill for several hours at a time, waiting for people to crash? If I was going to sit on a hill in the sun I'd have shorts and a t shirt on.

The deal here is that the 2 mile stretch is by a very popular motorcycle tourist trap called the Rock Store. Right past the hairpin turn on is a scenic overlook that riders will stop at to chat with their riding buddies or take a break after riding before they do more runs.

On the weekends this overlook gets crowded, so crowded that the only other place to park is on the dirt at the end of the hairpin coming up. There are a LOT of people here most days and a lot of the people you see there like to chat with the photographers or each other.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I laughed pretty hard at the conrod in the oil, then the look at the bike, and then the look back at the conrod.

Considering I've had a friend hand me a piston out of a bike before with the engine apparently intact. As it turns out, it exited the bottom of the bike but left it mostly clean looking besides that.

Mcqueen posted:

That's just one of the hangout spots at the very top of the Snake. At the bottom there's the Rock Store. There's trees and shade to one side, so it's not a bad place to chill and swap your totally sweet kill stories.

The SR500 was bought by a very nice hipster gentleman. I wonder how badly that thing's gonna get mangled. As we checked the bike out, I said "Yeah, I wouldn't ride it until the brakes are rebuilt" and he replied "Well, teh rear works, right?" and I replied "sorta, I wouldn't exactly trust it". His reply: "It's cool, I learned to ride on an old triumph without a front brake.".

Smile and nod, smile and nod. :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 20, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Ah, that's cool. I was under the impression people would ride out there and then hang out all day, then ride home. Looking at where that road is located, I was wrong. Being a fat fucker, if I see a person hanging around in a leather suit for more than 10 minutes I start sweating by proxy.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Which film is that? I like the retro palette.

fujicolor pro400h

content:

heres an out of focus KTM RC8!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Bucephalus posted:

That's only a problem with the stock Keihin VB's, which are going straight into the trash (where Honda should have left them). :colbert:
</'80 CB750F>

What are you replacing them with? I have a spare stock set entirely scrubbed down, but I've been debating forever whether to replace all the individual rubber parts (I don't believe anyone has assembled kits for these) including the air cutoffs (or bypassing them), boots, etc. If there were something compatible that simplified things, I might consider it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Unreal Fantasy posted:

fujicolor pro400h

content:

heres an out of focus KTM RC8!

That is truly awesome. I can't stop staring at it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Motorcycle Land Speed Record (open-cockpit) just got smashed by a turbo Hyabusa

:aaaaa:311mph

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Huge balls. I wanna see the build thread.

Found onboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-TzPTtauE

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 21, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's weird, in the video I didn't see a hole in the seat so that he could poo a little.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wonder what the build/spec sheet for that bike was.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I wonder what the rebuild interval is...

Watching him weave trying to stop the bike before the runway ran out made me feel a little queasy.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Guy gets very lucky after not being able to turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWNSwjXHSA

Does it seem like he's got his speedometer in kilometers/hr? I ride through that section 2 or 3 times every weekend, and really can't imagine anyone hitting 100mph there. I know it's hard to judge speed from a video clip, but it sure doesn't seem like he's going twice as fast as I ride there.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Why wasn't he able to turn? That's what I'm wondering.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KARMA! posted:

Why wasn't he able to turn? That's what I'm wondering.

Thats pretty much classic target fixation.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phat_Albert posted:

Thats pretty much classic target fixation.

Maybe but with the shaking it almost looks like the front washed out and pushed him wide.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Apparently his front fender broke during the run, which could've caused the instability.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wilkenm posted:

Does it seem like he's got his speedometer in kilometers/hr? I ride through that section 2 or 3 times every weekend, and really can't imagine anyone hitting 100mph there. I know it's hard to judge speed from a video clip, but it sure doesn't seem like he's going twice as fast as I ride there.

He's on a F4i and probably geared -1, +2. Probably doing 85ish when it indicates 100.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Maybe but with the shaking it almost looks like the front washed out and pushed him wide.

Front didn't wash out, dude is just a lovely rider. You can see multiple corrections in the previous corners, he doesn't commit properly to the corner, gets pushed wide, and off he goes. He might have caught a tar snake or something, but I doubt it, and either way, his mistake of not actually turning in at any point is what put him so close to the centerline in the first place.

eggyolk posted:

Apparently his front fender broke during the run, which could've caused the instability.

I bet it broke when he hit all of the rocks on the side.

Good ride report on ADVRider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700333

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

yea I know blah blah repost...

shut up, this thing has seven loving valves.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What the hell is that?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

What are you replacing them with? I have a spare stock set entirely scrubbed down, but I've been debating forever whether to replace all the individual rubber parts (I don't believe anyone has assembled kits for these) including the air cutoffs (or bypassing them), boots, etc. If there were something compatible that simplified things, I might consider it.

Depends on your definition of "compatible". ;)

Copy/paste from cb1100f.net:

melchiro posted:

86-88 GSXR1100, 34mm Mikuni.

86-87 GSXR750, same.

On my current 82-750F street ride, past 750F street ride and current pics are of my 750 track bike, with 900 cams.

Katana 1100 had these carbs as well..600 & 750 Katana & later model, oil cooled GSXR had the better "Slingshot" Mikuni's up to I believe 94..Suzuki changed the later models with I think, lesser performing EPA happier type.

Look at the inlet side of these carbs, facing the filter. The good ones look like a velocity stack inlet, these have composite semi-flat slides. Most are 36mm. All have the neoprene/rubber diaphrams. I think that these would be nice on 900/1100 engines.

I'm a big fan of these Mikuni carbs, very easy to tune, NO CHOKE PLATE! Pod & velocity stack friendly! They are also 3 to 4 pounds lighter.

He made his own boots from radiator hose reinforced with copper tubing inserts. They're not the same spacing as the stock carbs, but not awful to retrofit. I also think he had to slightly modify the throttle cable clamp and delete the "push" cable.

Link to the thread (registration required): http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41909

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 21, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

What the hell is that?

Yamaha's V4 4 stroke 500 from 1980.
Yeah. I'm not sure anyone could find fault with that combo of words.

Edit: This thread has some more info if you're curious.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 22, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Yamaha's V4 4 stroke 500 from 1980.
Yeah. I'm not sure anyone could find fault with that combo of words.

Edit: This thread has some more info if you're curious.

You forgot 7 valve. Goddamn. That thing is nuts. Thanks for the link. :)

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

kylej posted:

rnickeymouse just uploaded a pretty nasty high-side at Mulholland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi2sq94aKA

Head hits very hard in the slo-mo shot.

So in this video, what's the proper response when the rear end starts to slide out? And is it pretty much certain that the bald tires caused that in the first place, or did he do something to cause it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yea I know blah blah repost...

shut up, this thing has seven loving valves.

Christos! Why not just take the entire top of the combustion chamber off for each stroke?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
7:26 'Ring bike lap. In traffic. On what I'm pretty sure is a 600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W2KnufuYK5M

Holy. poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
As a gauge, a current Nissan GTR runs a 7:24 there... with no traffic. That's loving blazing for a bike and traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK62yyQ33_U
Video of the GTR above.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 22, 2011

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Holy. poo poo.

Why are there two g-force numbers and what's the moving dot in the circle showing?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Holy. poo poo.

The video doesn't show the whole lap, but it's still pretty impressive. I wanted to see his run down the straight but he starts near the kink and ends the video before that.

I bet someone who knows the course and could nail most turns would nearly brake 7' on a 600. Awesome.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 22, 2011

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Snapshot on my way to work:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Do you commute via helicopter?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jetpack: the only way to travel.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nsaP posted:

The video doesn't show the whole lap, but it's still pretty impressive. I wanted to see his run down the straight but he starts near the kink and ends the video before that.

I bet someone who knows the course and could nail most turns would nearly brake 7' on a 600. Awesome.

That was the whole thing, it's not a closed-track flying lap. There was definitely scope for improvement, particularly that one point where the rider goes up and down the box a few times before settling on a gear.

e: vvvvvv

Odette posted:

gyroscope, I believe. And the two numbers are the x,y position of the gyro.

Nope, it's just a trace of the lateral and longitudinal g-forces.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

King Nothing posted:

Why are there two g-force numbers and what's the moving dot in the circle showing?

gyroscope, I believe. And the two numbers are the x,y position of the gyro.