Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Power of Pecota posted:

Could someone recommend something with the same "one night spiraling further and further out of control" dynamic as After Hours, Eyes Wide Shut, or Collateral?

Genre and tone don't matter, it's just something I'm a complete sucker for, like "people who don't know each other trying to figure out a bigger puzzle."

Comedies/Not serious movies:
Attack the gas station!
Korean movie about a bunch of teenagers who rob a gas station, discover the till is empty and decide to run the gas station themselves to make money. Hijinks ensue.

Detroit Rock City
Four kids in the 1970's want to go see KISS, their favorite band. Various things stand in their way, adventures are had, society is gently caress-you'd and disco is defeated.

Serious Movie:
Near Dark
A modern Western vampire film by the director of The Hurt Locker (its better than The Hurt Locker).

After Rebirth posted:

Looking for films like and Valhalla Rising and Black Death. Looking specifically for the "descent into hell" motif (not interested in Aguirre, which I am sure someone will recommend. Great movie, already seen it).
Try The Fall I know a lot of people don't like it, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

After Rebirth posted:

Looking for films like and Valhalla Rising and Black Death. Looking specifically for the "descent into hell" motif (not interested in Aguirre, which I am sure someone will recommend. Great movie, already seen it).

Like the two preceding, I'd prefer the recommendation to be set in the medieval period. If you can recommend anything that is good set in the time period that lacks the horror/suspense element, by all means do so. Doesn't even have to be set in a real time period/world (i.e. Lord of the Rings).

Apocalypse Now on the off chance you haven't seen it. Many other war movies as well (Full Metal Jacket springs to mind).

Arguably so many Bergman films might fit. The Seventh Seal has your place and setting down.* Shame is one of my favorites, and is at least somewhat on point.

Tarkovsky is another person who has at least a couple of films that fit. Solaris and Stalker might be what you are looking for.

Ditto for Lars von Trier films, that will almost all deal with the theme in one way or another. The Kingdom and Antichrist might be the most direct.

There are plenty of others, depending on how you define the "descent into hell" analogy. Would revenge/madness films, like Treasure of the Sierra Madre, count? There are also the literal horror films like Jacob's Ladder or Event Horizon.

Finally, I'll give you the first film that came to mind. I'm spoiling the movie title because I think, for other people, knowing this film fits your query is a spoiler.

Barton Fink

*Can't bring up The Seventh Seal without mentioning that Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey also fits your request.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 19, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I recently watched Teinosuke Kinugasa's A Page of Madness and it had some qualities that I really admired. There was something quite creepy about the interplay of the bizarre images and the technical effects. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for more technically interesting silent films along the surreal/avant garde/experimental lines. I've seen the most obvious choice, Un Chien Andalou. Stuff like that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

I recently watched Teinosuke Kinugasa's A Page of Madness and it had some qualities that I really admired. There was something quite creepy about the interplay of the bizarre images and the technical effects. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for more technically interesting silent films along the surreal/avant garde/experimental lines. I've seen the most obvious choice, Un Chien Andalou. Stuff like that.

Page of Madness is fantastic. Some others you might like (sorry if some of these are obvious, I don't know what you've already seen):

Limite
La Coquille et la Clergyman
The Phantom Carriage
The Cameraman's Revenge
The Mascot
(not silent, but roughly the same era)
Vampyr
Entr'acte
Vormittagsspuk (aka Ghosts Before Breakfast)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

caiman posted:

Harpya, Vampyr (not really silent, but almost), Faust, By the Law, The Seashell and the Clergyman

There's a ton more, but it's surprisingly hard to think of any.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've seen Faust and Vampyr (love this movie) and I'm anxiously waiting for the Criterion of The Phantom Carriage. I'll try out some of the others if I can track them down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Maya Deren's silent stuff, obviously. Available on DVD as Maya Deren: Experimental Films.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

The Cameraman's Revenge

Haha, holy poo poo this was awesome. Truly a thing of beauty. From now on every time I watch another movie I'll wish it had stop motion bugs instead of human actors.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

Haha, holy poo poo this was awesome. Truly a thing of beauty. From now on every time I watch another movie I'll wish it had stop motion bugs instead of human actors.

Be sure to check out The Mascot by the same director. It's loving bananas.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Looking for some good horror films, but for some reason I'm not really big on a lot of the genre's greats. The classics from a few decades ago (Exorcist, original Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) don't really hold up for me for some reason, and campier/more comedic things like Drag Me To Hell also aren't my bag. Two that I have enjoyed in recent memory were Paranormal Activity and [REC], so I guess if there are any other good faux-documentary horror films those might be up my alley. But that style isn't really necessary: mainly looking for something that's recent and has a pretty serious tone. And is good, of course.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Jonny Angel posted:

Looking for some good horror films, but for some reason I'm not really big on a lot of the genre's greats. The classics from a few decades ago (Exorcist, original Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) don't really hold up for me for some reason, and campier/more comedic things like Drag Me To Hell also aren't my bag. Two that I have enjoyed in recent memory were Paranormal Activity and [REC], so I guess if there are any other good faux-documentary horror films those might be up my alley. But that style isn't really necessary: mainly looking for something that's recent and has a pretty serious tone. And is good, of course.

I really liked Quarantine and the remake of The Crazies.

Edit: Holy poo poo, reading about [REC], apparently Quarantine basically an American-made, shot-for-shot remake, so unless you want to watch it for shits and giggles, you may as well not bother with it I guess. The Crazies was still really good though.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 19, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jadz posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, reading about [REC], apparently Quarantine basically an American-made, shot-for-shot remake, so unless you want to watch it for shits and giggles, you may as well not bother with it I guess.

They're different enough that it's worth seeing both.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Jadz posted:

I really liked Quarantine and the remake of The Crazies.

Edit: Holy poo poo, reading about [REC], apparently Quarantine basically an American-made, shot-for-shot remake, so unless you want to watch it for shits and giggles, you may as well not bother with it I guess. The Crazies was still really good though.

But just for clarity, [REC] 2 is a direct continuation of the original. Quarantine 2 is a direct-to-dvd sequel that has nothing to do with the original Quarantine and takes place in an airport.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Any movies dealing with mental issues and the relationship between the doctor and the patient? Movies in the vein of "Stay"? And, while I'm at it, what about films similar to "The Lives of Others". That is, films dealing with characters facing emotional/moral conflicts (Schindler's List is another good example.)

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 20, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kontradaz posted:

Any movies dealing with mental issues and the relationship between the doctor and the patient?

Awakenings.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Awakenings.

This, but as part of a double-feature with Talk To Her. (Seriously Talk To Her fits both categories very well)

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Kontradaz posted:

Any movies dealing with mental issues and the relationship between the doctor and the patient? Movies in the vein of "Stay"? And, while I'm at it, what about films similar to "The Lives of Others". That is, films dealing with characters facing emotional/moral conflicts (Schindler's List is another good example.)

What About Bob?

irohol15
Jan 24, 2011

The trolls are never sated.
Any movies similar to The Devil's Backbone or The Orphanage? I love non-English thrillers that tend to have a spin at the end.

I'll try to help where I can.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Kontradaz posted:

Any movies dealing with mental issues and the relationship between the doctor and the patient?

Charly

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

irohol15 posted:

Any movies similar to The Devil's Backbone or The Orphanage? I love non-English thrillers that tend to have a spin at the end.

It's English-language (though partially a Spanish production), but The Others is definitely similar to those.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

irohol15 posted:

Open Your Eyes (Abre Los Ojos) is a superior original that was remade and released in America as Vanilla Sky

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 20, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

irohol15 posted:

It's not really a thriller, but if you liked The Devil's Backbone you owe it to yourself to check out Spirit of the Beehive.

Oh and Who Can Kill a Child?. That's a good one too.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
I watched Le Cercle Rouge last night and I really enjoyed it (I thought the movie had pacing problems though). I'm looking for more early heist films along the lines LCR, preferably criterion since the sale is going on right now. I loved The Friends of Eddie Coyle and Kiss Me Deadly, something with a harder edge would be great. Country of origin doesn't matter but I really haven't seen any Japanese crime films so recommendations in that category would be great.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SneakySneaks posted:

I watched Le Cercle Rouge last night and I really enjoyed it (I thought the movie had pacing problems though). I'm looking for more early heist films along the lines LCR, preferably criterion since the sale is going on right now. I loved The Friends of Eddie Coyle and Kiss Me Deadly, something with a harder edge would be great. Country of origin doesn't matter but I really haven't seen any Japanese crime films so recommendations in that category would be great.
I don't know exactly what you mean by early heist, but Double Indemnity, The Killing, and The Asphalt Jungle are essential noirs. As far as French noir/heist, Rififi and Elevator to the Gallows are both excellent. For old school Japanese crime movies, I really like Tokyo Drifter and Pale Flower, although they aren't really heist films at all.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

fenix down posted:

I don't know exactly what you mean by early heist, but Double Indemnity, The Killing, and The Asphalt Jungle are essential noirs. As far as French noir/heist, Rififi and Elevator to the Gallows are both excellent. For old school Japanese crime movies, I really like Tokyo Drifter and Pale Flower, although they aren't really heist films at all.

All of these are great films, but for what was requested, I'd say go with Rififi next. It is the sort of film Michael Mann has tried to recreate his entire career: technical and obsessed with the mechanics of people doing a job.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

fenix down posted:

Hard edge noir and neo-noir would be a better category for what I'm looking for. I enjoyed Double Indemnity and I'm waiting for the blu-ray release for the killing. I'll see if Tokyo Drifter is something I'd enjoy ( for Japanese (neo)Noir I hated Vengeance is Mine, I thought the first half was brilliant though). I'll give Rififi a watch too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SneakySneaks posted:

These are all terrific:

Cruel Gun Story
The Asphalt Jungle
Plunder Road
Grand Slam
Odds Against Tomorrow
Criss Cross
The Killing

And yes, definitely Rififi.

SneakySneaks posted:

Hard edge noir and neo-noir would be a better category for what I'm looking for.

Ah well, that's a much broader category, although it depends what you mean by "hard edge". Here are a few of the better edgier ones I can think of:

The Phenix City Story
The Lineup
Murder By Contract
Blast of Silence
Force of Evil
Raw Deal

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SneakySneaks posted:

Hard edge noir and neo-noir would be a better category for what I'm looking for. I enjoyed Double Indemnity and I'm waiting for the blu-ray release for the killing. I'll see if Tokyo Drifter is something I'd enjoy ( for Japanese (neo)Noir I hated Vengeance is Mine, I thought the first half was brilliant though). I'll give Rififi a watch too.
If you want foreign hard edge neo-noir, you're going to want to go north of Japan to South Korea. Something like Chaser, City of Violence, or Mother.

But FFD is our resident expert on the subject so listen to him. :)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jonny Angel posted:

I feel like out of all the old Horror films Pumpkinhead stands up the best. Its a pretty standard slasher/supernatural horror style flick, but the cinematography is really gritty and creepy. It has a real Southern Gothic thing going for it. And the special effects were I believe all traditional so it still holds up pretty well in that department (it helps that its mostly just creepy skin stuff).

Also, if you haven't seen Blair Witch the first one is actually really good, same with the first Saw.

Obviously The Thing and the Aliens films are god-tier but I assume you've seen those as well.

I mentioned Near Dark above on the page, but its worth mentioning again as it blends western and horror elements into a good package.

For what its worth Funny Games is probably the most brutally hardcore slasher flick I can think of for a number of reasons. I know a lot of people can't handle it or think its a senseless exercise in violence and cruelty.

Paranoid Park is a good recent suspense/horror style flick. I have trouble recommending it to people who don't live in the Pacific North West though. The director makes movies that are very targeted at a demographic of people who live here and I can't really say objectively if people from not around here will like his stuff (it has a 76 on RT).

For a decent Thriller/Noir combo you could try Angel Heart which is a goon fave IIRC (I first heard about it here) and it has Mickey Rourke as a Detective solving a satanic murder/disappearance in the Bayou. The other good horror film recommended by Goons that I loved was Frailty which is a sort of disturbing horror/mystery about a family of christian exorcists/demon hunters (it doesn't have any special effects in it really).

I'm a big fan of the 80's classic Fright Night which is being remade soon (with Doctor Who and Chekov!) but is still a great film in all respects. The same could be said of the original Lost Boys but both of these are more 80's action movie/teen movies with horror as a backdrop than actual horror.

Finally you could always see goon favorite Lord Of Illusions which would be much better if it didn't have early 90's CGI. The first half an hour is amazing, the second half is still decent.

Fake Edit: Three of these movies have Bill Paxton in them. That's a complete coincidence I assure you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Finally you could always see goon favorite Lord Of Illusions which would be much better if it didn't have early 90's CGI. The first half an hour is amazing, the second half is still decent.

Lord of Illusions is practically incomprehensible. It's worth watching once, but Nightbreed is better.

EDIT: To be fair I think I've only seen the theatrical cut, which might be the problem.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 23, 2011

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Looking for some good science fiction movies that have a similar style to Moon, or Sunshine. I found those movies to be absolutely incredible and would love to see anything similar to either of them.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

Looking for some good science fiction movies that have a similar style to Moon, or Sunshine. I found those movies to be absolutely incredible and would love to see anything similar to either of them.

Both of these movies took a large amount of inspiration from Silent Running. It's an older scifi movie but you should like it if Moon and Sunshine appeal to you.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 23, 2011

ariagloris
Jan 9, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

Solaris: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/

I know people hate this movie, and while I ultimately feel it failed due to the way it was cut - it is still a thought provoking movie.

Event Horizon: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/

It's been mentioned before. Ever-so cheesy but an enjoyable watch.

Gattaca: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/

While not set in space, it still falls in line with the "feeling".

ariagloris fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 23, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

MrSmokes posted:

Both those movies cop pretty heavily from the aforementioned Solaris, as well as 2001 and Alien. Can't go wrong with any of those three.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Criminal Minded posted:

Both those movies cop pretty heavily from the aforementioned Solaris, as well as 2001 and Alien. Can't go wrong with any of those three.

Although you should point out that they drew heavily from the original Solaris, not the remake with George Clooney.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

morestuff posted:

Although you should point out that they drew heavily from the original Solaris, not the remake with George Clooney.

That's what I get for not clicking links!

ariagloris
Jan 9, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

That's what I get for not clicking links!

"I know people hate this movie" - I wouldn't prefix a review of the 72' version with that!

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
I've never seen a hitchcock. What should be the first one?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Family Plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

RollingBoBo posted:

I've never seen a hitchcock. What should be the first one?
North by Northwest, Vertigo, Psycho, or Rear Window.

• Locked thread