Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

tarepanda posted:

Would you rather be a ridiculously strong green or a weak orange? Ditto for blue. Would you rather be a strong blue or a weak blue?

I hear the same thing in kendo -- people saying "oh man, kids get 1-dan in Japan so early, I wish I could go to Japan and get my 1-dan!" but it doesn't matter. Your skills give the rank meaning, not the other way around. Strong kendo is strong kendo and strong judo is strong judo.

yeah, I'm happy with the way things are. I much prefer to be the (freshly graduated) green belt that go own blue belts and show them many things they never heard of before than being the blue belt that comes to the new club and look like an idiot. I just sort of wish I was blue because I want to get my black before I'm old and every single one of my joint is injured. Also, "I'm a black belt :v: " bragging right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

KingColliwog posted:

yeah, I'm happy with the way things are. I much prefer to be the (freshly graduated) green belt that go own blue belts and show them many things they never heard of before than being the blue belt that comes to the new club and look like an idiot

Definitely. In kendo, there's a wait period after each grade (corresponding to the grade -- 1-dan waits 1 year, 2-dan waits 2 years, etc.), but I really wish I hadn't ranked. I'm 1-dan now and my sensei kept telling me I could get 2-dan easily, but I really don't feel like I have 2-dan skills.

Other people tell me "It's not what you think, it's what the panel thinks" and I understand that, but I still don't want to be the 2-dan who constantly gets his rear end handed to him by 1-kyuu. I'm very, very weak in shiai.

Off-topic, but I can't stop watching that seoi-kouchi video. Are there any other good combo videos with Okano? Or good combo videos in general?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 20, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So is IKMF the "good one"? I can never find any information on the organizational splits online.

Eh.

Really, it depends on the instructor and the gym. Even at the gym I'm at, there are some incredible instructors and some I know I can out-teach.

I've also had some KMW instructors tell me it's a waste to train KMW outside of LA or Austin. Then again, I've also heard of a school in Houston building a loving airplane fuselage model into their gym so they can train air marshalls and I've gotten to fight/train with a lot of my town's swat team.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 20, 2011

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Does anyone have any resources for finding somewhere good to practice martial arts? Like a review site of some sort? The OP said to make sure you find a good gym and I'm not sure where to start.

I'm in the Detroit area, if anyone else is around here and can make some recommendations. Southern Oakland County. :)

edit: what about this place, do they look legit? http://www.anshinkandojo.com/index.htm Aikido looks interesting to me from the videos I've watched and the description in the OP.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 20, 2011

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

tarepanda posted:

Definitely. In kendo, there's a wait period after each grade (corresponding to the grade -- 1-dan waits 1 year, 2-dan waits 2 years, etc.), but I really wish I hadn't ranked. I'm 1-dan now and my sensei kept telling me I could get 2-dan easily, but I really don't feel like I have 2-dan skills.

Other people tell me "It's not what you think, it's what the panel thinks" and I understand that, but I still don't want to be the 2-dan who constantly gets his rear end handed to him by 1-kyuu. I'm very, very weak in shiai.

Off-topic, but I can't stop watching that seoi-kouchi video. Are there any other good combo videos with Okano? Or good combo videos in general?

Why would you be facing mudansha in a tournament as a shodan?

Obviously team matches are a crapshoot but for individuals every tournament I've been to had mudansha, shodan, then 2-3 dan divisions.

That's basically the only reason getting shodan early is nice cause being in matches with a bunch of kyus sucks.

Edit: Everyone tells me I should go for 3dan but gently caress that. In the US once you hit 3dan you can start being a match judge and I reeeaallly don't want to do that.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

z0331 posted:

Obviously team matches are a crapshoot but for individuals every tournament I've been to had mudansha, shodan, then 2-3 dan divisions.

That's basically the only reason getting shodan early is nice cause being in matches with a bunch of kyus sucks.

Edit: Everyone tells me I should go for 3dan but gently caress that. In the US once you hit 3dan you can start being a match judge and I reeeaallly don't want to do that.

Also, kendo rank, at least in the US (never tested in Japan) has almost 0 to do with your shiai ability. Doing the test like you're doing a shiai match will make it more likely that you fail.

Heh, quote ain't edit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I somehow got really dehydrated before going to the gym. Got my rear end beat bell to bell, and after 6 rounds, I was barely breaking a sweat. It was awful.

I also recall that some time back, I discovered that being hydrated contributes to your effectiveness way more than having lots of sleep. Not that either is good.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

z0331 posted:

I think it's 4-dan for referee here, then 5-dan has mandatory service.

I've never been in tournaments, but one thing to remember is that 99% of all shodan in Japan are kids. Whenever I practice at junior high schools or my dojo, it's with kids... and most of them can kick my butt.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

tarepanda posted:

I think it's 4-dan for referee here, then 5-dan has mandatory service.

I've never been in tournaments, but one thing to remember is that 99% of all shodan in Japan are kids. Whenever I practice at junior high schools or my dojo, it's with kids... and most of them can kick my butt.

Yeah, in the US it's lowered to 3dan since there are so fewer high ranking yudansha.

A lot of junior high kids and most serious senior high kids can kick my rear end, too and I think there are a few reasons (aside from that I suck)

-They probably practice way more often than you.
-They use the goddamn 38 length shinai instead of 39 which is a lot lighter so they can go faster.
-For the same reason plus a general height difference, distance gets all screwed up and they have an easier time getting in close.

I actually have an easier time against adults for the last 2 reasons.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

z0331 posted:

Yeah, in the US it's lowered to 3dan since there are so fewer high ranking yudansha.

A lot of junior high kids and most serious senior high kids can kick my rear end, too and I think there are a few reasons (aside from that I suck)

-They probably practice way more often than you.
-They use the goddamn 38 length shinai instead of 39 which is a lot lighter so they can go faster.
-For the same reason plus a general height difference, distance gets all screwed up and they have an easier time getting in close.

I actually have an easier time against adults for the last 2 reasons.

I'm pretty sure I suck. Even in my "prime," when I was practicing six days a week, I was getting reamed by fifth-grade kids who started later than I did.

(I'm terrible at tenouchi, so it's hard for me to get a solid hit that turns into an ippon.)

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 20, 2011

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

tarepanda posted:

(I'm terrible at tenouchi, so it's hard for me to get a solid hit that turns into an ippon.)

Suburi.

I bought a 1-hand heavy suburi bokuto that I could use while at home watching TV or whatever. I don't do it as often as I should but stuff like that can really help.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

z0331 posted:

Suburi.

I bought a 1-hand heavy suburi bokuto that I could use while at home watching TV or whatever. I don't do it as often as I should but stuff like that can really help.

Yeah. My "prime" was two hours of keiko six days a week (with a 7-dan three of those days) and 1000-1500 suburi on top of iai. I had a wicked leap-in distance, kote-men, and degote, but my do and tenouchi were absolutely terrible.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
you guys are making me sad that I stopped kendo after my first 5 months :(

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

mindtwist posted:

this reminds me of a question i wanted to ask. I dont use a cup or mouthguard when I roll; I suppose it's personal preference of course, some guys use one or both and some neither. I've never had any problems, but then again, I've only been training for about a month and a half. Is this something I should reconsider, or just keep to what's comfortable for me? I don't have any previous sport experience so mouthguards and cups are completely unfamiliar topics

Buying a mouthguard will also significantly help with your choke defense. When you have a soft pad you can grit your teeth on without your jaw exploding, it helps you tough out those lovely chokes where you know there is a hole, but you have to survive long enough to be able to get there.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I haven't used a cup for like six months, and the only times I hurt myself is when I'm a little bit too eager to get an armbar. It's a fantastic feeling to pull of a submission and then have to sit out for 30 seconds to recover from the pain you inflicted on yourself.

Always wear a mouthguard. It only takes one accident for your teeth to get hosed up.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
yeah, i'm getting a mouthguard for sure, the posts here and the roughness on the mat last night convinced me lol. Even after getting kneed in the balls I'm not entirely sure about a cup though. I've never worn one but it seems like it would hinder flexibility and range of motion. One of my partners that fought in an mma cagematch recently has one with foamy, flexible edges that he really likes and recommended me to get though, so it wont hurt to try it out and see for myself.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mindtwist posted:

yeah, i'm getting a mouthguard for sure, the posts here and the roughness on the mat last night convinced me lol. Even after getting kneed in the balls I'm not entirely sure about a cup though. I've never worn one but it seems like it would hinder flexibility and range of motion. One of my partners that fought in an mma cagematch recently has one with foamy, flexible edges that he really likes and recommended me to get though, so it wont hurt to try it out and see for myself.

Just ask to try his after a workout.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Get a custom made, fitted mouth guard which is made specifically for your mouth. I cannot emphasise that enough. No matter what sport or martial art or whatever it is that you do, if there's a reason for you to be wearing a mouthguard, there's a reason for you to go and get one fitted. This goes 100 times over if you have any sort of special condition with regards to your teeth or jaw.

When I was a kid playing rugby in high school, we didn't have the money to get one made and I was doing more damage to the inside of my mouth with the off-the-shelf one than if I wasn't wearing one at all. The only reason I wore it is because they wouldn't let me play without it. It was horrible. I still don't have the money but I found a way to claim it on my health insurance and have it cost $0. In Australia at least, they're something like $100-$150 if you have to pay for it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been using one of those cheap boil-in-water ones for the last six years and it has not damaged my mouth just for wearing it and saved me from some busted lips. I think 80% of the contact trainers at our gym use non-customs and I can't remember the last time someone got his or her mouth torn to pieces because of one.

I don't know what quality they were when Smegmatron was a kid, but the ones they make today are pretty decent. You might have to use a knife to mold the length a little though but that's ok.

edit: sounds standard, in Finland the custom ones are €100-150 too so for a beginner it might seem a bit much

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 20, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guess it really depends on your mouth. The shock doctor I had always cut my mouth up. With the custom molded one I can have a conversation and you probably wouldn't notice I had my mouth-guard in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KidDynamite posted:

Guess it really depends on your mouth. The shock doctor I had always cut my mouth up. With the custom molded one I can have a conversation and you probably wouldn't notice I had my mouth-guard in.

On the flip side, I can talk with only a minor lisp with my shock doctor, and it's just their basic model. It probably does depend on your mouth/teeth.

One thing about mouthguards: don't chew on them. It messes up their structure and can make them more of a liability than just not wearing one because the force ends up unequally distributed. That means it might channel impact directly into one tooth or part of your jaw, which is bad. I always see guys on TV doing that and it makes me sad.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

Probably exactly so, so it's not a huge investment to try a pair of the non-custom heat-em-up $10 ones and if it doesn't work out then consider investing some money

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the armspeed discussion was kinda interesting apart from goons catchin feelings

i think there are less '21st century scientific training methods' in boxing and muay thai because technique plays such a large factor and the 'old school methods' actually work quite well (even if there might be room for improvement). one reservation about lifting weights is that the improvement in athletic ability might not be worth it if it forces you to move up a weight class.

proper roadwork (with sidestepping, etc) toughens up your legs and mimics the type of movement you need in the ring. jumping rope makes you light on your feet. kicking the poo poo out of a heavy bag conditions your shins and helps with balance, technique and perhaps even explosiveness.

i guess boxing gyms might operate differently, but we regularly do circuit training with plyometric stuff like explosive pushups, squatjumps with a bulgarian bag, quickly jerking a barbell no homo and so forth

i don't see why there would be some genetic plateau difference between learning footspeed vs armspeed. your vert and 40-yard-dash is only gonna get so good before your improvements are measured in millimeters and 1/100s of a second aka meaningless in a boxing context. i think the only difference is that every twink will acquire enough muscles through regular training to max out his handspeed, while gazelle legged guys like me need to put an effort into heavy squatting to get the most out of the exercises that build footspeed.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Thanks for the advice guys, nothing better than everyone telling you to go for it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Most people who train in grappling/MMA/striking don't ever intend on competing. Go for it!

Also if you tell us where you live one of us could probably suggest a good place to train.

I'll be in London, Ontario, so if anyone knows any good places there let me know. I think I'd like to try a striking style to narrow it down a bit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think footspeed is just much more quantifiable than hand speed. The guy arguing with me asked how I knew my hand speed had stayed the same and the answer to that is my jab when sparring. It's always been my best offensive tool and the one person I've been sparring with since I started will always get caught with it after I roll under one of his right hands. He's tried for everything to get his hand back in time and nothing's ever worked. He's stayed in shape and I haven't(I balloned up to 290 from 200 down at 230 now). So my hand speed had to have stayed the same during that whole period.

The whole hand speed thing doesn't really matter in boxing anyway as if you throw good punches in combinations you will connect eventually. Footwork and stamina are way more important. Head movement too.

We do plyo and tire flips at my gym on certain days. But this is a broke rear end PAL gym we don't have money for state of the art equipment.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As a side note, KidDynamite's victory at the first and only ever goon meet fight competition a few years ago was hilarious. It was basically a bunch of untrained goons getting laid out by an amateur boxer. I don't even know why they let you compete in it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Yuns posted:

As a side note, KidDynamite's victory at the first and only ever goon meet fight competition a few years ago was hilarious. It was basically a bunch of untrained goons getting laid out by an amateur boxer. I don't even know why they let you compete in it.

OH gently caress me, tell me more about this.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yuns posted:

I had been boxing for 2 months at this point. Don't make me out to be some ringer.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Are there videos of that event?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I imagine it looked even goofier than the Bullshido Throwdown events.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I hate you all.

http://youtu.be/XP8NtousHu4
http://youtu.be/8PNKwSDbeOQ
http://youtu.be/ajNZzHx1t1I
http://youtu.be/jz-QJSFLkmY
http://youtu.be/5KUYbHWB5gU

edit: I hate younger me the most though.

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010

Syphilis Fish posted:

A) You should do kickboxing. gently caress Krav, we live Kickboxing Capital of the world.

B) See above. No question about lineage when you can step into Vos or Meijeiro, or Aerts, or Bonjanski etc gym.

C) Like above.

:) Now where do you live so I can teach you groundwork/take you to a BJJ class that'll teach you groundwork.

Rhaka posted:

Also hey, Dutch MA goons, look at that. Anyone live around Utrecht? I'd love to get punched in the face because of the internet.

I live in Utrecht. Rhaka, what do you do and where do you do it? Sounds fun to punch each other in the face.

CaptainScraps posted:

Ok. If you lived in the US, I'd say "Get out of level 1." Level 2 is almost entirely learning defenses and other attacks so you can start sparring. There's generally some sparring in level 2 classes. Level 1 is just to teach you the very, very basics. (How do you maintain your sanity? Jesus.)

Fit to Fight is generally some boxing, some kickboxing and some clinchwork-- it's a good basis to build upon. Generally there's a warmup, then you start throwing combinations, work on slipping punches, and generally work on hitting and getting hit. There also may be some thai pummeling.

But you live in the loving Netherlands! There's an argument to be made that you're in the greatest place to learn kickboxing IN THE WORLD.

KMW is based out of Los Angeles. Your instructors either have to wait for seminars or fly to loving LA (or israel) to get better.

I'd switch, brother.

Yeah, you've got a pretty good point there. I'll check it out. I looked into Muay Thai once, but the gym I went to didn't seem very nice. First day there and we we're doing some sparring. The instructor said to take it easy, but this one dude, who probably had probably 20-30 pounds and a bunch of experience on me, didn't seem to care much about it. Apparently I dropped my guard to far, so he decided to land a full force spinning back fist on my jaw. Knocked me right off my feet. I couldn't properly close my jaw for a few days after that. So far that wasn't even to bad, but the fact the dude was smug as gently caress about it was rather sad.

Anyway, no reason to give it a go! Anyone here that can point me to a good gym to go to for this? I might want to add some BJJ to it, just because it sounds like a lot of fun. I have to plan carefully though, since I've started lifting as well a while ago. Any ideas on how to plan it so I get the most efficient rest and recovery?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Awesome! Now for a little background. Please correct me if I am incorrect on anything.

I did not attend but the following is my recollection. This happened back in the day, when NYC goons met more often. The guy who set up many of these goon meets was Cannibal. Cannibal set up some legendary meets like hiring a bunch of local/washed up pro wrestlers to throw a goon meet pro wrestling event. Anyway in addition to being a pro wrestling fan Cannibal was also a fight fan. So he announced for one meet that they would have a fighting tournament. I think the original intent was to have a goofy event usi g those enormmous inflatable toy gloves. But somehow it morphed into a semi serious "friendly" mma/boxing competition. Instead of going for harmless inflatable gloves or even 16 oz boxing gloves, Cannibal got MMA gloves. So now instead of a harmless pillowfight we were going for as little safety as possible. Cannibal did set a rule that anyone fighting had to have less than 3 months experience which ruled me out. Somehow KidDynamite fell just under the limit. Everyone else on the other hand had almost no fighting experience. I wasn't there so I don't know if there was any drinking involved but given that it was a Cannibal event I sure that there was. The event was held as far as I can tell in someone's tiny basement with large pillars in the way. Now Kid is a good size dude and there was one other in shape person there but the rest of the combatants were exactly what you would imagine of goons, out of shape and/or skinny fat. It was a orgy of flailing wild punches and hugging from the goons. Kid proceeded to tear his way through a couple of anemic kids concussing at least one and the in shape guy just by knowing how to jab and throw a straight. After that event there has been no fight night since.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

drat.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yuns posted:

Awesome! Now for a little background. Please correct me if I am incorrect on anything.

I did not attend but the following is my recollection. This happened back in the day, when NYC goons met more often. The guy who set up many of these goon meets was Cannibal. Cannibal set up some legendary meets like hiring a bunch of local/washed up pro wrestlers to throw a goon meet pro wrestling event. Anyway in addition to being a pro wrestling fan Cannibal was also a fight fan. So he announced for one meet that they would have a fighting tournament. I think the original intent was to have a goofy event usi g those enormmous inflatable toy gloves. But somehow it morphed into a semi serious "friendly" mma/boxing competition. Instead of going for harmless inflatable gloves or even 16 oz boxing gloves, Cannibal got MMA gloves. So now instead of a harmless pillowfight we were going for as little safety as possible. Cannibal did set a rule that anyone fighting had to have less than 3 months experience which ruled me out. Somehow KidDynamite fell just under the limit. Everyone else on the other hand had almost no fighting experience. I wasn't there so I don't know if there was any drinking involved but given that it was a Cannibal event I sure that there was. The event was held as far as I can tell in someone's tiny basement with large pillars in the way. Now Kid is a good size dude and there was one other in shape person there but the rest of the combatants were exactly what you would imagine of goons, out of shape and/or skinny fat. It was a orgy of flailing wild punches and hugging from the goons. Kid proceeded to tear his way through a couple of anemic kids concussing at least one and the in shape guy just by knowing how to jab and throw a straight. After that event there has been no fight night since.

This is all correct. I don't think anyone competing drank until after they got beat up. Also the guy I fought in the last fight. The skinny white dude in jeans did the most damage out of anyone that night. He hosed up some Asian kid something fierce gave him a huge mouse and made one of his ears bleed, he brutalized my friend's nose(which he still gets poo poo for to this day), and he put up a hell of a fight against me who had to have 40-60 pounds on him. I was right at the weight and experience limit, weighing 200lbs and having been training for 2 months. I told Cannibal over and over to make the fights with 20oz boxing gloves but people wanted to grapple. It was a fun time and I don't think anyone got seriously injured. There were 3 or 4 EMT's so I guess there was some sort of safety present.

It was really stupid but also really fun.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

KidDynamite posted:

people wanted to grapple.

Why did the fights get broken up then? :confused:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

niethan posted:

I can't answer you that one. Also MMA refs :lol:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
If someone with only 2 months of MA experience in his life has his hands up like that and throws a 1-1-2-3 so fast I'm pretty loving amazed? It's not that I haven't seen some kids back then* do that without any experience apart from scuffling often wherever, the past half a year has my expectations for a pure beginner on a martial art to a completely... different level (and that's not a higher level).

edit: * in fact I haven't, when I was a teenager the people who fought every weekend were just spunky and angry and didn't mind getting tagged and thus won, but never kept their hands up or throw any combinations, they just scrapped away, yelling insults, and guy who smoked and drank more lost

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 20, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

niethan posted:

people thought they wanted to grapple. People with under 3 months of grappling experience are, in all likelihood, going to completely forget everything about everything and just swing away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I watched a lot of boxing growing up. Plus you can see lots of glaring holes in my punches and defense. Like I said I had been fairly athletic before I got into boxing. I played football and fenced all four years of high school plus a bit of wrestling(up until I experienced my first oil-check and got really mad).

• Locked thread