Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

I guess that's the kind of poo poo that happens when spoiled 12 year olds are running around with 700 dollar phones.

It's absolutely maddening. Most of these devs work for donations and some not even that. The fact that people feel so loving entitled that they will threaten someone for switching forums is disgusting. I have more and more respect for the devs that put up with that kind of bullshit everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

This fits in here since Adrenalyn and team BAMF are responsible for a ton of content on XDA

http://adrynalyne.blogspot.com/

Ever since they pulled their stuff from XDA, then have been receiving DDOS attacks, spam, suspicious packages in the mail. Seriously What the gently caress?

What the gently caress is this poo poo? That's insane. What the hell is loving wrong with people that they'd get this loving worked up over a simple forum change? God drat.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Codiusprime posted:

I can't remember if you're running CM or MIUI. If it's the latter how are you liking it. It's sitting on my SD card waiting to be flashed. I'm just so drat happy with my phone right now. My joy of having a fully working Fascinate is conflicting with my urge to tinker.

I'm really digging MIUI. I loved CM7 when I was running it in earlier builds, and I really enjoyed a variation of it on my GTab before Honeycomb became available, so I'm a fan of CM7 - and someday I might return to it - but for now MIUI is refreshing and new, and very functional. It takes a second to get used to, and like iOS you kind of have to approach it like a 6 year old might, but once you "get" it it's amazingly direct and useful.

It's also very responsive and fast. I can't compare to the final CM7 build because I converted to MIUI just before the MMS.apk patch became available, but I can say that the 7.15 build of MIUI is much sleeker and more intuitive than the 7.08 build.

This is my first time on MIUI as my Fascinate was my first Android device, and the lockscreen themes and such also are quite cool. All told I'm having fun with it and it's doing everything I need a ROM to do, so it gets a favorable report from me. I'll edit screenshots of my setup in in a second.

edit: Screencaps! From left to right: Homescreen, another homescreen, homescreen edit mode, lockscreen, lockscreen, notification menu, settings menu.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 19, 2011

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Gonkish posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? That's insane. What the hell is loving wrong with people that they'd get this loving worked up over a simple forum change? God drat.

It's pent up nerdrage from all the times the mods edit their posts to be 'more civil'

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
drat Para, that looks slick. You may have convinced me.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Screenshots of GtabComb beta 3.2:

Homescreen

Another homescreen

YouTube

Music Beta

Fast homescreen transmogrifier or whatever it's called

Menu

This is much faster running than Flashback a5.5. It's responsive, seemingly more stable, and much, much quicker. Occasionally it will hang however, mainly when juggling a lot of open apps with USB connected. I haven't tested Bluetooth, it supposedly has limited functionality with that. All told I am impressed with this more and will probably stick with the GtabComb series until/unless Flashback 5.5 comes up with something brilliant.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 19, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

LastInLine posted:

Yes, it essentially replaces your Verizon voicemail with Google Voice. It will transcribe any voicemail you get (poorly) to your Verizon number and display it in the app.

Sprint is the only carrier that allows you to port your Sprint phone number to Google Voice.

The transcription isn't great, but it's usually good enough for me to get the gist of what the caller was saying. And when it's really bad it's usually good for a laugh. I wouldn't use GV specifically just just for the transcription, but it's nice to have in addition to all the other stuff.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The transcription isn't great, but it's usually good enough for me to get the gist of what the caller was saying. And when it's really bad it's usually good for a laugh. I wouldn't use GV specifically just just for the transcription, but it's nice to have in addition to all the other stuff.

The main attraction for me is you get to use a GUI instead of having to dial numbers to do poo poo. Also you can jump around to different points in the voicemail, or go to your other voicemails without listening to them all. I think if you get visual voicemail from your carrier it's a similar thing, but you usually have to pay for that. The transcription is like the "joke" you get on the wrapper of a piece of bazooka joe "gum".

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The main attraction for me is you get to use a GUI instead of having to dial numbers to do poo poo. Also you can jump around to different points in the voicemail, or go to your other voicemails without listening to them all. I think if you get visual voicemail from your carrier it's a similar thing, but you usually have to pay for that. The transcription is like the "joke" you get on the wrapper of a piece of bazooka joe "gum".

Sprint's VVM is free and does the same thing in terms of the GUI. But GV lets you check your voicemail from any computer, you can be texted or e-mailed when you have a voicemail, etc. And of course the hilarious transcription is great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sprint's VVM charges for transcription, and doesn't work (easily) in CM7 or other non-Sense ROMs.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I meant Sprint does the GUI part for free, similar to voicemail on an iPhone. I didn't know they offered transcription at all.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Sprint VMM is actually awesome, I use it as a sort of "voice texting" with friends.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
S-OFF on the Sensation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO4HkPHPJq4

Edit: According to one of the teamwin guys alpharevx also has S-OFF on the EVO 3D.

http://twitter.com/#!/agrabren/status/93334461697105920

quote:

Since @alpharevx has admitted to having s-off on both the Sensation and EVO 3D, dev on #Fre3Dom is officially over.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 19, 2011

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I have a rooted Moto ATRIX.

Obviously, I want to get rid of Motoblur. There's a Gingerbread ROM out there that gets high praise that I have available.

I'm trying to follow the instructions, but failing at the point of booting into recovery mode; it just boots back into the regular phone. I've tried this via both CWM and ROM Manager, but I never get to the point where I can choose the Gingerbread ROM to actually install.

Has anybody here managed to flash a ROM onto their ATRIX successfully?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

The Sprint VMM is actually awesome, I use it as a sort of "voice texting" with friends.

So, like a phone call? :v:

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Aisar posted:

I do not have a custom ROM installed, and while something like lagfix and Voodoo sound sounds nice, I would be perfectly happy with just stock.

That being said, am I missing much by not being able to update my android? Is there anything worth a drat from the updates that isn't already apart of stock?

Is this what I'm looking for if I'm looking for a ROM that is basically the stock version? If so, using the Titanium Backup utility, it says I need a clockwordmod recovery app, which apparently doesn't exist for epic 4g. Does anybody have a solution to this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I'd imagine it's more like HeyTell plus the transcription.

C09D
Nov 12, 2010
Just ordered my first droid phone, the Droid 3. I was wondering if anyone had a rooting guide for it yet? I checked the first post, only saw the Droid 2.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

C09D posted:

Just ordered my first droid phone, the Droid 3. I was wondering if anyone had a rooting guide for it yet? I checked the first post, only saw the Droid 2.

Didn't it come out like four days ago? I doubt it's rooted.

C09D
Nov 12, 2010

jfreder posted:

Didn't it come out like four days ago? I doubt it's rooted.
Hey man, that's why I asked.
Thanks!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

C09D posted:

Droid 3 is a brand new phone, just came out last week. Give it a few days.

e;fb

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

For a while my fiancee and her family were obsessed with the app Hey Tell. Stupid.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

For a while my fiancee and her family were obsessed with the app Hey Tell. Stupid.

I thought it was stupid, too, but now I use it a ton. Way easier and faster than texting back and forth, plus you can tell your friends that they're gay IN SONG and they can play it back whenever they want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aisar posted:

I do not have a custom ROM installed, and while something like lagfix and Voodoo sound sounds nice, I would be perfectly happy with just stock.

That being said, am I missing much by not being able to update my android? Is there anything worth a drat from the updates that isn't already apart of stock?
Well okay then. You're getting the OTA notification because you're still stock. I looked at the xda Epic forum and you weren't kidding, it's awful in there. Hopefully ExcessBLarg! sees this and can recommend something since he's already done some diving in that ocean of poo poo.

I can't tell you what you're missing. Seems like I've read that the updates fix some things while breaking others but I haven't read anything about that in a while.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aisar posted:

Since I rooted, I have been bombarded constantly with what I assume to be the "over-the-air update" requests, asking me if I want to update my phone.
Which stock ROM version are you running? Settings -> About phone -> Build number.

If you're getting constant OTA update notifications, you're either running DI18 (Eclair) which is old but reasonably good, or EB13 (Froyo) which is the aborted Froyo version for the Epic that broke lots of poo poo and was eventually updated in early April. If you're running EC05, then I'm not quite sure what's going on as that's the latest release. There was an update for the Sprint Voicemail app that was pushed out sometime ago. Either way, if you're running EC05 right now, then that OTA is likely fine to install.

Otherwise, you're correct, you do not want to run the OTA update if you're on DI18/EB13 or anything not EC05. That's because the most commonly used one-click root for the Epic removes some packages, causing the OTA update to fail--although I think non-destructively.

Anyways, the easiest thing to do if you can live with losing all your data (Titanium Backup might work, otherwise cloud sync) is to Odin flash back to (non-rooted) stock.

Directions are in this thread. You'll want to use with Odin the "Froyo 2.2.1 Official EB13 Tarball" (SPH-D700-EB13-8Gb-REL.tar.md5) linked in that OP, as that's the latest official tar package for a stock ROM. If I remember correctly, you may have to rename it "SPH-D700-EB13-8G-REL.tar.md5" (note G, not Gb) for it to pass the hash checksum, but try first without renaming it.

Once that's flashed and you've rebooted, you should be prompted for an OTA upgrade to EC05. If for some reason you're not after a reboot or two, you can download the update directly, rename it to "update.zip", store it on the root of your SD card, reboot into (stock) recovery and apply it. But waiting for the OTA notification is probably easier.

Once you're on stock EC05 you should stop getting OTA update notifications, aside from the voicemail thingy which is fine to apply at any time.

At this point you're welcome to root again if you would like to. However, if you do, you'll have to go through this process again to upgrade to Gingerbread when it eventually comes out. This is the "recommended" one-click root these days, which also installs the latest build of ClockworkMod for the Epic. I say "recommended" because it does a loving lot more than just install su, but it's kind of a necessary evil as none of the other one-click methods (e.g., z4root) tolerate the very little space remaining on /system after the EC05 upgrade. Oh well, that's what Odin is for.

Running rooted stock is perfectly fine. The only problem is that EC05 still has a bunch of bugs in it, some new since Eclair even. Namely, poor hardware keyboard responsiveness, "time without signal", GPS crashes, etc. It also has the annoying Samsung goodies like the wake-your-rear end-up-at-night full battery popup, so it's somewhat advisable to run a custom ROM. I'd still upgrade to stock EC05 first just to make sure the modem and poo poo is all taken care of.

As for ROMs, I'd stick with an EC05 based one, not the Gingerbread leaks, just because those are still a bit buggy. Even there though, the ROM situation is absolutely ludicrous. If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably run SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2 followed by the immediately installing this guy to enable journaling. I don't know if it's actively being maintained anymore, probably not, but it'll get you through to Gingerbread. Other options are midNIGHT 5.5, maybe EC05Plus. Development is dead on midNIGHT, and while I think chris41g's work is promising for the future, EC05Plus itself is effectively dead.

Aisar posted:

Even more, I checked the XDA forums, and the Epic 4g subforum is a mire of impenetrable jargon and asperger's awareness activism (I'm not even kidding).
Ironically, I'm not really into ROMs. I run stock EC05 myself with a custom kernel and some manually-patched framework tweaks to fix the worst of Samsung's blunders. I suppose that technically makes it a ROM, except it's not ClockworkMod flashable and I've not bothered to package it up for release at least in part because I know I can't do an adequate amount of testing on it to ensure it won't destroy folks's phones. Not that the other ROMs do.

Anyways, as such I've only been loosely paying attention to the shenanigans in the Epic xda forums over the past month or so, and dear lord this situation has gotten incomprehensively bad over there.

To my knowlege, the three best ROM developers all "left the scene". SRF's and midNIGHT's moved on with their lives. Bonsai is actually still being developed I think, but it's posted on its own register-only site to which I don't have a link, as it got chased off xda due to a bunch of forum drama over donors getting prerelease copies or something. chris41g is the most promising ROM developer left, if only because he seems to be the most conscious about not loving up your phone.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 20, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nimper posted:

Droid 3 is a brand new phone, just came out last week. Give it a few days.
Unfortunately it's going to be a race between someone finding and exploiting a new root vulnerability, Motorola leaking an unlocked bootloader like the Atrix, and Motorola officially unlocking the device. The work on the Sensation and Evo 3D, both released with Gingerbread, might carry over to the Droid 3 in terms of a temporary root option. But that's only if their method of temporary root doesn't exploit HTC-specific code.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I've got an Evo running MIUI 1.7.15, and for the past couple of weeks, I've had some major battery drain. I'm not sure what the culprit is; spare parts doesn't show anything special for partial wake usage, but it does show some other stuff.

It doesn't seem like the phone is sleeping correctly, and it looks like google services and maps are using a lot of network and sensor usage, respectively.

Aside from updating MIUI fairly regularly, I've gotten the google+ and google music apps recently, although I turned off syncing for both in the account options. I run a widget heavy desktop, but I don't anything has changed there. Any ideas? It will drop 10% an hour on standby and I can't figure it out.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jadeilyn posted:

I've got an Evo running MIUI 1.7.15, and for the past couple of weeks, I've had some major battery drain. I'm not sure what the culprit is; spare parts doesn't show anything special for partial wake usage, but it does show some other stuff.

It doesn't seem like the phone is sleeping correctly, and it looks like google services and maps are using a lot of network and sensor usage, respectively.

Aside from updating MIUI fairly regularly, I've gotten the google+ and google music apps recently, although I turned off syncing for both in the account options. I run a widget heavy desktop, but I don't anything has changed there. Any ideas? It will drop 10% an hour on standby and I can't figure it out.

Sign out of Latitude.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Been using the first Cm7 nightly for the gs2. Really impressed, a few things don't work but nothing I use. Very much looking forward to where this Rom goes if it's this good so early on.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Paramemetic posted:

I'm really digging MIUI. I loved CM7 when I was running it in earlier builds, and I really enjoyed a variation of it on my GTab before Honeycomb became available, so I'm a fan of CM7 - and someday I might return to it - but for now MIUI is refreshing and new, and very functional. It takes a second to get used to, and like iOS you kind of have to approach it like a 6 year old might, but once you "get" it it's amazingly direct and useful.

It's also very responsive and fast. I can't compare to the final CM7 build because I converted to MIUI just before the MMS.apk patch became available, but I can say that the 7.15 build of MIUI is much sleeker and more intuitive than the 7.08 build.

This is my first time on MIUI as my Fascinate was my first Android device, and the lockscreen themes and such also are quite cool. All told I'm having fun with it and it's doing everything I need a ROM to do, so it gets a favorable report from me. I'll edit screenshots of my setup in in a second.

edit: Screencaps! From left to right: Homescreen, another homescreen, homescreen edit mode, lockscreen, lockscreen, notification menu, settings menu.

Where can I grab that lockscreen and wallpaper?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

You can find all MIUI lockscreens under the MIUI thread on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134657

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Couple of Miui questions.

How do I get rid of my full carrier name on the status bar. They remind me every month who they are, I don't need a refresher on my status bar.

Also it seems if I put an app in one folder it gets put in all the folders I have, kind of defeating the purpose.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nimper posted:

Sign out of Latitude.

I had this same problem on CM7. Signing out was not enough. I had to clear data on Google Maps.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had this same problem on CM7. Signing out was not enough. I had to clear data on Google Maps.

I'll try this, but I've never used latitude. I thought you had to opt into its features? I just opened it and it's asking me to accept the terms. That's annoying if it just turned itself on without even being activated.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Lockscreen can be found at the link posted above, it's called 5 Points or something like that. The wallpaper I made myself using ChaosPro, a fractal editing program. Alternatively if you don't feel like looking or playing with fractals, PM me your email address and I can bump both to you later this evening if you'd like.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Codiusprime posted:

Couple of Miui questions.

How do I get rid of my full carrier name on the status bar. They remind me every month who they are, I don't need a refresher on my status bar.

You are talking about this?

I put my XBL Gamer tag in mine (why not?). This is how I did it:

http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php?54-MOD-Notification-Bar-Trick

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Excellent! Thank you sir!

The folder issues worked themselves out.

Did you find the clock in the Miui xda thread?

Also I'm having trouble themeing stuff again. For example, I try to make the message app dark, I select the theme and it changes all the text and nothing else. So now I can't see text. Do I just need to reboot?

Now that I'm taking the time to learn its in and outs I'm beginning to really like it. Super fast to.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Codiusprime posted:

Excellent! Thank you sir!

The folder issues worked themselves out.

Did you find the clock in the Miui xda thread?

Also I'm having trouble themeing stuff again. For example, I try to make the message app dark, I select the theme and it changes all the text and nothing else. So now I can't see text. Do I just need to reboot?

Now that I'm taking the time to learn its in and outs I'm beginning to really like it. Super fast to.

Text style should change how your message app looks and font should your font (not sure where font color comes from). I am using the iPhone 4G text app theme right now. It should change pretty much instant. Only thing that requires a reboot (hot boot in this case works) is changing icons.

It is mClock with a themed XML file. Check my post yesterday in the 'Show Off Your Desktop - Android Narcissism' for more information.

Edit:

Here is the link so you don't have to find it. Just get the app and download whatever style (XML file) you want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875280

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 20, 2011

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
So my girlfriend auto-updated my Evo last week, right before I was going to root later that evening. Am I hosed now?

Software Version: 4.24.651.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

eightysixed posted:

So my girlfriend auto-updated my Evo last week, right before I was going to root later that evening. Am I hosed now?

Software Version: 4.24.651.1

Yes :(