Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

enki42 posted:

Better still is:

code:
nicks = members.map(&:nickname)

Bastard :P yeah, that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

8ender posted:

drat, now I really wish I could come, especially since I have a developer here thats learning the ropes on Ruby and Rails after years of PHP and this would be some good experience. Unfortunately that developer is the owner of the farm we're all paintballing at.

Its also a bit of a drive as we're all pretty far out in the countryside. Rural Ontario Ruby developers :banjo:

Well, we do run a hack night every second Thursday, and there's Rails Pub Night every third Monday of every month, and a Ruby talks meetup every month if this weekend doesn't work for you :)

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come

8ender posted:

Any idea if 3.1 is going to be dramatically different than 3.0? I'm in the same boat and just to see how bad things were I upgraded one of our 2.3.11 apps yesterday and it was oddly painless. I think I changed one or two lines of code but everything just worked. I was kind of expecting apocalyptic app failure across the board but it doesn't look like all that much changed in the core MVC parts of rails.
I tried to see if I could a more-or-less-in-place upgrade with 3.1rc1 and it didn't go too well for us. Mind, this is an app that's been upgraded in bits and pieces since 1.3ish, so there are some parts that use really old idioms or code, but we keep dragging it forward just the same. I imagine most issues we have will involve places that we did bad things to rack and rails.

Everything except the new asset pipeline looks pretty consistent, though, which is nice after the giant ActiveRecord changes last time around. So many queries to rewrite.. so many..

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

enki42 posted:

Better still is:

code:
nicks = members.map(&:nickname)

Don't do this if there is any potential on using 1.8 (around 31:00)

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

BonzoESC posted:

http://hashrocket.com/contact-us

Their office isn't super-big, but there's definitely room for maybe a dozen people there.

Well Hashrocket's Twitter has dead but an employee tweeted an RSVP form, so yay for that!

in 7 years I've never ventured much into Rails core. I'm scared :ohdear:

Stup
Mar 19, 2009
So I tried creating my own validation. I know it's ugly but please forgive me!

code:
	validates :cant_have_more_than_one_guard

def cant_have_more_than_one_guard
		total_guards = 0
		members.each do |member|
			if member.gen_pos == 'Guard'
				total_guards = total_guards + 1
			end
		end
		unless total_guards <= 1
			errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 guard"
			return false
		end
	end
When I try to load the team view, I get the following error:
code:
ArgumentError in MembersController#create

You need to supply at least one validation
Not sure where to go from here. I guess I don't really have experience using validations when they're not for some sort of form. Do I need to put this within the method I'm calling from the TeamsController? I tried this as well and Rails didn't know what validates is so I'm assuming that's not the right way...

Thanks again for your help!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

code:
  guards = members.select { |m| m.gen_pos == 'Guard' }
  errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 guard" unless guards.count <= 1
end
Here is some less ugly code. I am too tired to figure out the validation thing though. :)

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Stup posted:

So I tried creating my own validation. I know it's ugly but please forgive me!

code:
	validates :cant_have_more_than_one_guard

total_guards = 0
		members.each do |member|
			if member.gen_pos == 'Guard'
				total_guards = total_guards + 1
			end
		end
		unless total_guards <= 1
			errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 guard"
			return false
		end
	end
When I try to load the team view, I get the following error:
code:
ArgumentError in MembersController#create

You need to supply at least one validation
Not sure where to go from here. I guess I don't really have experience using validations when they're not for some sort of form. Do I need to put this within the method I'm calling from the TeamsController? I tried this as well and Rails didn't know what validates is so I'm assuming that's not the right way...

Thanks again for your help!

My fault. See http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveModel/Validations/ClassMethods.html#method-i-validate - you want validate, not validates, which is used for something completely different.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I made a thing during this flight:

Mess with it: https://github.com/bkerley/greatjobify

NotShadowStar posted:

Well Hashrocket's Twitter has dead but an employee tweeted an RSVP form, so yay for that!

in 7 years I've never ventured much into Rails core. I'm scared :ohdear:

Hashrocket is gigantic (three offices, dozens of employees), but everyone I've met from the Chicago office is pretty cool.

If you want to think about what Rails is doing under the hood, I presented about implementing the Rack to ActionController/ActionView part from scratch a little over a year ago.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BonzoESC posted:

I made a thing during this flight:

Not seeing any code there

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Not seeing any code there

https://github.com/bkerley/greatjobify/blob/master/config.ru

Edit: yeah it's Sinatra and not Rails, deal with it

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BonzoESC posted:

https://github.com/bkerley/greatjobify/blob/master/config.ru

Edit: yeah it's Sinatra and not Rails, deal with it

Whoops, skimmed right over that file

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
And now it's on Heroku Celadon Cedar:

(photo starring Zap! and Ulf)

SOME CEDAR/SINATRA PROTIPS:
  • It's require 'RMagick', with the upper-case
  • For using Pow locally, set config.ru to just load 'web.rb' and run Sinatra::Application
  • Put the requires and Sinatra stuffs in web.rb
  • Procfile: web: bundle exec ruby web.rb -p $PORT
  • Automatic memcache addon configuration Just Works

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Obsurveyor posted:

code:
  guards = members.select { |m| m.gen_pos == 'Guard' }
  errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 guard" unless guards.count <= 1
end
Here is some less ugly code. I am too tired to figure out the validation thing though. :)

Here is some more efficient code (calls COUNT() in SQL rather than selecting and iterating through each member).

code:
  errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 guard" unless members.where(:gen_pos => 'Guard').size <= 1
end

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

:hehe: this is a lot of fun!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

BonzoESC posted:

• Put the requires and Sinatra stuffs in web.rb
  • Procfile: web: bundle exec ruby web.rb -p $PORT

I usually use web: bundle exec thin start -p $PORT, then it grabs the config.ru

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pardot posted:

I usually use web: bundle exec thin start -p $PORT, then it grabs the config.ru

Pow wanted run Sinatra::Application and the web process I have in my barfed on that. I'll try that once I get ruby again (MacBook battery flat, on iPad & in-flight wifi until we cross over to Canada.)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
While I'm thinking about it, anybody else get RubyConf tickets?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm using highcharts and would like to render the charts via a partial called from my view and it's not working at all. I have a partial called '_chart.js.erb' that contains the javascript to create and render the chart, but if I do:
code:
= render :partial => 'chart'
from within contacts/show.html.haml I get
code:
Missing partial contacts/chart with {:handlers=>[:erb, :rjs, :builder, :rhtml, :rxml, :haml], :formats=>[:html]...
Notice that :formats does not include :js. If I do
code:
= render :js => 'chart'
I get
code:
undefined method `formats' for nil:NilClass
which I think is related. Finally, if I do
code:
= render :partial => 'chart.js'
I just get javascript rendered as text (I understand why and this isn't the correct thing to do, just including it for the sake of completeness). I'm clearly doing things wrongly, I just don't know what I should be doing. Note that I don't want to put the chart-rendering code in the contacts/show.html.haml view because I want to be able to render it from other views.

Stup
Mar 19, 2009

kalleth posted:

My fault. See http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveModel/Validations/ClassMethods.html#method-i-validate - you want validate, not validates, which is used for something completely different.

So I tried using validate and the error went away, but no errors ever pop up.

Here's my memberscontroller:
code:
  # POST /members
  # POST /members.xml
  def create
    @team = current_team
  	player = Player.find(params[:player_id])
  	@member = @team.add_player(player.id)

respond_to do |format|
  	  if @member.save
    		format.html { redirect_to(@team, :notice => 'Member was successfully added.') }
        format.js { @current_member = @member }
    		format.xml  { render :xml => @member, 
  			:status => :created, :location => @member }	
  	  else
    		format.html { redirect_to(@team, :notice => @team.errors.full_messages) }
    		format.xml  { render :xml => @member.errors, 
  			:status => :unprocessable_entity }
  	  end
    end
  end
Doesn't seem like the validation is doing anything. When I change it to unless 2 > 1, the create member action still goes through and there's no error displayed. What am I doing wrong?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking to further my skills and develop some database intensive sites. I'm new to Ruby, PHP, and SQL but have significant experience with HTML and CSS. How should I proceed? Will learning Ruby teach me what I need to know about PHP and SQL, or should I learn the basics of PHP and SQL and then transition smoothly to Ruby?

Sorry for the amateurish question but I'm just looking for some expert opinions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm looking to further my skills and develop some database intensive sites. I'm new to Ruby, PHP, and SQL but have significant experience with HTML and CSS. How should I proceed? Will learning Ruby teach me what I need to know about PHP and SQL, or should I learn the basics of PHP and SQL and then transition smoothly to Ruby?

Sorry for the amateurish question but I'm just looking for some expert opinions.

PHP has really nothing to do with Ruby other than the fact that they are both programming languages. PHP is similar to C, if you've ever used that. Ruby on Rails is a framework for Ruby for making web applications.

SQL is another ball of wax. You should probably learn the basics of it, but it's possible to do an application in Ruby without any SQL at all.

Play around with Ruby here, it's fun!

http://tryruby.org/

If you like that, I'd get started with Rails here:

http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Stup posted:

So I tried using validate and the error went away, but no errors ever pop up.

Here's my memberscontroller:
code:
  # POST /members
  # POST /members.xml
  def create
    @team = current_team
  	player = Player.find(params[:player_id])
  	@member = @team.add_player(player.id)

respond_to do |format|
  	  if @member.save
    		format.html { redirect_to(@team, :notice => 'Member was successfully added.') }
        format.js { @current_member = @member }
    		format.xml  { render :xml => @member, 
  			:status => :created, :location => @member }	
  	  else
    		format.html { redirect_to(@team, :notice => @team.errors.full_messages) }
    		format.xml  { render :xml => @member.errors, 
  			:status => :unprocessable_entity }
  	  end
    end
  end
Doesn't seem like the validation is doing anything. When I change it to unless 2 > 1, the create member action still goes through and there's no error displayed. What am I doing wrong?

Can I see the validate code from the model as well? Are you sure the create action still goes through; I.e. is something being persisted to the database? Perhaps call save! rather than save which will create an exception if the save fails?

A good way of debugging stuff is using the $ rails console command line to give you effectively an irb within your app environment.

This will let you do something like

> team = Team.find(:first)
#<Team:Object>
> team.add_player(Player.find(:first))
#<Team:Object player=#<Player:Object>>
> team.save!
> either backtrace or false or true

You can then use the console to inspect any errors.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

In case anyone's run into the same javascript partial rendering problem I posted about earlier, I managed to fix it. I put the javascript in a haml file and did a "render :partial => 'chart.js'" and now everything is fine. Something doesn't feel right about having to supply the ".js" but whatever it's good enough for now.

Simbyotic
Aug 24, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Guys this problem is stressing me out.

I installed Ruby, Rubygems and Rails the way "Agile Web Development with Rails" tells me to, but whenever I write something like "rails new demo", it creates a folder named new with, what I suppose are, the usual Rails files.

The thing is, it happens every time I write "rails". I wrote "rails server" and it only created a folder named server with the exact same files as before.

Any solution?
(Using it on Ubuntu).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Has anyone here used http://refinerycms.com/ ? I'm in charge of picking a CMS for our custom development projects. The main requirement is that it can be configured to pull xml feeds from our main servers to populate things like Upcoming Event widgets.

We're an events-based calendar software company at heart, and some of our customers want websites to go along with the main product. So far we've been one-offing everything in .NET2.0, reusing controls that feed on our xml streams. But it's time-intensive and the developer (me) has to put everything together, which distracts from the main product. If we had a cms then the support/marketing/design side could take some of the burden off the developers.

My boss suggested modx, which looks decent, but PHP makes me queasy and I'm looking for alternatives.

Simbyotic posted:

sounds like you're using rails 2. "rails new" is a rails 3 command. "rails /path/to/myapp/" is the rails 2 command. type "rails -v" to see what's up.

Simbyotic
Aug 24, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A MIRACLE posted:

sounds like you're using rails 2. "rails new" is a rails 3 command. "rails /path/to/myapp/" is the rails 2 command. type "rails -v" to see what's up.

Yes, apparently I'm using rails 2.3.5. Let's see if I can update this thingy.

Stup
Mar 19, 2009

Simbyotic posted:

Guys this problem is stressing me out.

I installed Ruby, Rubygems and Rails the way "Agile Web Development with Rails" tells me to, but whenever I write something like "rails new demo", it creates a folder named new with, what I suppose are, the usual Rails files.

The thing is, it happens every time I write "rails". I wrote "rails server" and it only created a folder named server with the exact same files as before.

Any solution?
(Using it on Ubuntu).

Make sure you're using the 4th edition of Agile Web Development with Rails if you're working in Rails 3.x, and the 3rd edition if you're working with 2.2 or 2.3

Stup fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 21, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stup posted:

Make sure you're using the 4th edition of Agile Web Development with Rails if you're working in Rails 3.x, and the 3rd edition if you're working with 2.2 or 2.3

You should see how many notes I have written in our copy of the 2nd edition.

Any tips on reducing the amount of memory our Ruby and httpd processes take?

code:
top - 13:36:17 up 168 days,  5:15,  2 users,  load average: 2.25, 2.27, 2.27
Tasks: 264 total,   3 running, 261 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 33.4%us,  0.6%sy,  0.0%ni, 65.3%id,  0.0%wa,  0.1%hi,  0.6%si,  0.0%st
Mem:  12299892k total, 11152972k used,  1146920k free,   330216k buffers
Swap:  2096472k total,   106312k used,  1990160k free,  2321344k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                  
 5618 deploy    17   0  250m 140m 2796 R 60.1  1.2   0:27.73 ruby                                                      
 5431 deploy    16   0  250m 139m 2800 S 32.9  1.2   0:09.88 ruby                                                      
 5636 deploy    16   0  250m 140m 3268 R 32.2  1.2   0:34.68 ruby                                                      
  522 deploy    15   0  229m  79m 4036 S 12.0  0.7   0:04.15 ruby                                                      
 3501 deploy    15   0  266m 156m 2816 S  8.0  1.3   2:35.90 ruby                                                      
 5590 deploy    15   0  250m 140m 2796 S  8.0  1.2   0:28.68 ruby                                                      
 6720 deploy    16   0  358m 204m 5396 S  5.0  1.7   0:19.58 ruby                                                      
 5474 deploy    15   0  247m 137m 2728 S  3.3  1.1   0:01.53 ruby                                                      
 5512 deploy    16   0  250m 140m 2816 S  1.0  1.2   1:08.79 ruby                                                      
 5596 deploy    15   0  261m 151m 2804 S  1.0  1.3   0:38.41 ruby                                                      
 3491 deploy    15   0  258m 148m 2804 S  0.7  1.2   0:33.16 ruby                                                      
 5588 deploy    15   0  185m  77m 2600 S  0.7  0.6   0:00.69 ruby                                                      
 5624 deploy    15   0  299m 143m 4608 S  0.7  1.2   0:22.68 ruby                                                      
 6751 apache    15   0  302m  15m 2948 S  0.7  0.1   0:00.24 httpd                                                     
 7156 apache    15   0  302m  14m 2488 S  0.7  0.1   0:00.04 httpd                                                     
 1813 deploy    15   0  246m 136m 2804 S  0.3  1.1   1:00.86 ruby                                                      
 4940 apache    15   0  304m  16m 3692 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.88 httpd                                                     
 5476 apache    15   0  304m  16m 3616 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.51 httpd                                                     
 5592 deploy    15   0  250m 140m 2620 S  0.3  1.2   0:00.60 ruby                                                      
 5594 deploy    15   0  250m 140m 2628 S  0.3  1.2   0:00.47 ruby                                                      
 5607 apache    15   0  307m  22m 4788 S  0.3  0.2   0:00.60 httpd                                                     
 5852 apache    15   0  304m  16m 3756 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.48 httpd                                                     
 6639 apache    15   0  302m  14m 2892 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.30 httpd                                                     
 6697 apache    15   0  307m  22m 4640 S  0.3  0.2   0:00.38 httpd                                                     
 6709 apache    15   0  302m  15m 2924 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.19 httpd                                                     
 6746 apache    15   0  302m  15m 2908 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.20 httpd                                                     
 6749 apache    15   0  302m  15m 2996 S  0.3  0.1   0:00.25 httpd

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
1.8 or 1.9?
If you're using 1.8 you want to use REE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NotShadowStar posted:

1.8 or 1.9?
If you're using 1.8 you want to use REE

Ruby Enterprise Edition version 1.8.7-2010.01

The server isn't busy right now and it's down to just under 8GB memory used

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Here's some stuff for ya
http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2009/thats-not-a-memory-leak-its-bloat/
https://github.com/binarylogic/memorylogic

Also New Relic is an awesome service for tracking all sorts of related app issues.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
How would I use something like Adapt.js with a rails 3.1 app? The configuration calls for an absolute path to my resources, and there is a probably a better way to do this.

Never mind wrote my own.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 22, 2011

Stup
Mar 19, 2009

kalleth posted:

Can I see the validate code from the model as well? Are you sure the create action still goes through; I.e. is something being persisted to the database? Perhaps call save! rather than save which will create an exception if the save fails?

A good way of debugging stuff is using the $ rails console command line to give you effectively an irb within your app environment.

This will let you do something like

> team = Team.find(:first)
#<Team:Object>
> team.add_player(Player.find(:first))
#<Team:Object player=#<Player:Object>>
> team.save!
> either backtrace or false or true

You can then use the console to inspect any errors.

This is my validate code right now...

code:
	def cant_have_more_than_one_forward
		total_forwards = 0
		members.each do |member|
			if member.gen_pos == 'Forward'
				total_forwards = total_forwards + 1
			end
		end
		unless 2 > 1
			errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 forward"
			return false
		end
	end
The error it shows in the notices is just open brackets like such. No errors are coming up. In addition, my normal add_player method isn't returning errors properly when I am adding duplicate players:

code:
	def add_player(player_id)
		current_member = members.build(:player_id => player_id)
		if 1 > 2
			errors.add_to_base("Member already exists")
		end
		current_member
	end
Again, really appreciate any help!

Stup fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 24, 2011

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Your conditionals there are just checking that the number 2 is greater than the number 1 or not. I have it on good authority that 2 is always greater than 1, and 1 is never greater than 2.

Having this class need to know what "Forward" means is awkward, put this in whatever class members are.
code:
def forward?
  gen_pos == "Forward"
end
then you can do this.
code:
def cant_have_more_than_one_forward
  # if members.select(&:forward?).size > 1 # id do it like this, but 
  if members.select {|member| member.forward? }.size > 1 # this might make more sense to you, but it's the same thing.
    errors.add_to_base "Can't have more than 1 forward"
  end
end

Stup
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah the 2 > 1 thing was just to try to force it to bring up errors, which it wasn't. I'm not at my coding computer right now, but I'll give this a shot later. That tip for forward? looks to be reeeeally helpful. Thanks!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

My application serves profile images and I don't want any schlub who knows the URL for the image to be able to load it. That part is easy, I control access in Photos#show and use send_data (photos are stored in the DB btw). However it looks like browsers aren't caching the photos, which makes page load times unnecessarily long. This feels like a stupidly basic question, but what should I do here to speed up loads? Is there any way I can provide an etag before the controller method is invoked and I have to deal with the database hit?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Plastic Jesus posted:

My application serves profile images and I don't want any schlub who knows the URL for the image to be able to load it. That part is easy, I control access in Photos#show and use send_data (photos are stored in the DB btw). However it looks like browsers aren't caching the photos, which makes page load times unnecessarily long. This feels like a stupidly basic question, but what should I do here to speed up loads? Is there any way I can provide an etag before the controller method is invoked and I have to deal with the database hit?

A couple of things to try, more or less in order:

* Make sure the Cache-Control header is something like Public, max-age: bignumber. I'd have to look up the exact syntax.
* make sure last-modified header is set.
Those two might be all you need. They are set for actual static files, but since you're sending the data yourself, they probably aren't set any more. Once you have those you'll get browser caching again
* try http://rtomayko.github.com/rack-cache/ and also this technique https://gist.github.com/9395
However if you're not careful with this you'll lose the user checking.

Alternatively, you could store all the photos in S3, and just generate short-lived urls on demand if they have permissions. That's what I would probably do, since anything I write that has uploads just puts them in s3 to begin with. Since local disk is ephemeral ;)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok guys seriously where in the hell is the Rails reference? There is practically zero documentation for this programming language that I've been able to find. You can't even search the api reference!! And even if you could half the functions are missing even the most basic information. Why am I having to trawl blogs to figure out this language?

Oh, and the 'official' Rails book is a loving joke. What is the real reference with real information? I don't need to know how to build a shopping cart I need to know what the functions are and how to use them. I need an actual, searchable reference with information in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
-Rails isn't a language
-You want guides.rubyonrails.org
-Agile Web Development with Rails is the best book there is. If you can't get anything out of it you are handicapped.

http://apidock.com/ should tide you over until you take your medication, but reading the API and method list isn't going to do poo poo for you until you sit down, take a deep breath and understand how Rails works.

Actually you need to step away from Rails for a good while and learn about Ruby. What you're doing is trying to learn Django, Struts or ASP.NET MVC without knowing any Python, Java or C# at all.