Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on The Blues Brothers :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A bunch of cheap Lionsgate preorders just popped up on Amazon.

Mimic: The Director's Cut (plus digital copy) - $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005BQTUVI

Life Is Beautiful - $10.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0033AI48Y

Cinema Paradiso - $10.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0033PQUXA

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Two limited-edition covers for X-Men: First Class.

Gonna buy the poo poo out of that Magneto one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving loved that movie and I'm gonna hit that poo poo up. So surprised how it was better than all the X films before it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vintersorg posted:

I loving loved that movie and I'm gonna hit that poo poo up. So surprised how it was better than all the X films before it.

Better than X-Men 2? I might have to check it out then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I barely remember X2 so I can't compare, but I'll say First Class was surprisingly good. Sure I thought it was going to suck, but even without that I'd probably still have considered it pretty good.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Imagine some insane bastard cross between the Singer X-Men movies, Mad Men, 60s caper flicks, and 70s Bond movies, while going with a subtext that's as much about the sexual revolution of the era as much as the civil rights movement. It's not a perfect movie, but it's more than good enough to keep you from dwelling on what negatives it has.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
People love to bring up Blu-Ray.com forums as a beacon of stupidity, but High-Def Digest is also worth mentioning.

They posted a list of the worst Blu-Rays of 2011 on their front page. On the list?

The Times Of Harvey Milk by Criterion

Nate Boss posted:

Wait, wha?!?!?! You read that right, a Criterion Collection release earns a slot on the worst releases of the year list. Why? Well, that review I've been trying to complete for a month (or two...) will spell that out more clearly, but never has a release from this studio looked or sounded this awful. The film is quite good, really, that has nothing to do with it being on this list. The price tag versus quality sure does, though.

:doh:

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 19, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Oh man, I stopped reading HDD ages ago. Their "news" was always 3-4 days behind everyone else.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It does not take two months to do a review of a bad product. The only people that take two months to write a single review are people that shouldn't call themselves writers to begin with. If something is so genuinely terrible, there's no excuse for not being able to put that into words. I'm sure of this. Hell, if right now, any of us were to be asked to write a review of High Def Digest, we could all churn out pages and pages of truthful criticisms with ease.

Edit: Reading the article, early on he lists the atrocious Fire On The Amazon blu-ray as a pick for worst of 2011. Later, when he puts Venture Brothers Season 4 on the list (simply for an entire season being on one disc. The disc itself looks great) he says "I was debating about what movies to put in the last slot of the list. Should I put Galaxina? Fire on the amazon?" So he puts a movie on the list, then later wonders if he'd put that same movie on the list again? Shoddy writing at best. This guy didn't put more than an hours work total into the entire article. Guaranteed.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 19, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

No Criterion Blu deserves to be on a worst list. Even some missteps like the inferior transfer used for The Leopard and releasing The Last Emperor at 2:1 aren't huge offenses. The worst Criterion is still better than nearly anything Echo Bridge is putting out at this time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema is releasing Touch of Evil in November.

It's a limited edition 2-disc set with all three cuts are included in both 1.37:1 and 1.85:1 aspect ratios. No specifics on extras, but I would assume all the R1 extras are getting licensed. While this is region B locked, Universal stipulated the region locking and limited edition status to make way for their own edition within a year following MoC's edition. So, it should end up on Blu in Region A shortly after.

The inclusion of the 1.37:1 versions is kind of pointless, but I guess it'll make the :spergin: happy.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 20, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The title looks like TOUCH OF EUIL. :v:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Glad it's getting a nice release, but Orson Welles looks like the opposite of EVIL on that cover.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Scott Pilgrim vs The World dropped down to $9.99 on Amazon. I didn't like the movie but it looked pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0043GAZYS

Space_Butler posted:

Edit: Reading the article, early on he lists the atrocious Fire On The Amazon blu-ray as a pick for worst of 2011. Later, when he puts Venture Brothers Season 4 on the list (simply for an entire season being on one disc. The disc itself looks great) he says "I was debating about what movies to put in the last slot of the list. Should I put Galaxina? Fire on the amazon?" So he puts a movie on the list, then later wonders if he'd put that same movie on the list again? Shoddy writing at best. This guy didn't put more than an hours work total into the entire article. Guaranteed.

They actually did a pretty lovely job of distinguishing it but everybody on the staff picked five movies. Of course their tiny bold name idea doesn't work with their massive cover art pictures they decided to use.

That guy picked:

From Dusk Till Dawn (and Echo Bridge in General)
RED
The Times Of Harvey Milk
The Venture Brothers: Season 4
Dead Space: Aftermath

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 20, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sporadic posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs The World dropped down to $9.99 on Amazon. I didn't like the movie but it looked pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0043GAZYS

It's a fun movie. Only complaints I ever hear is that the colors are a little darker than they should be. Also, it's only for people who are fans of videogames or rock music or some combination of both.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did the Scott Pilgrim blu ever fix those subtitle cards that are cut off at the edges of the frame? I think the effect only happens a couple of times, but I'm curious.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
That's the fault of your TV overscanning, not the transfer itself. Scott Pilgrim's title cards are very tight to frame. If your TV overscans by more than 2% words will be cut off.

You should generally have overscan turned off for your Blu-Ray viewing. Otherwise you're just cropping and then upscaling rather than displaying the native 1920x1080 frame.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 20, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

morestuff posted:

Glad it's getting a nice release, but Orson Welles looks like the opposite of EVIL on that cover.

Touch of Dementia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Touch of Dementia.

Touch of HANDS OFF MY DONUTS, BEST BOY!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

It does not take two months to do a review of a bad product. The only people that take two months to write a single review are people that shouldn't call themselves writers to begin with. If something is so genuinely terrible, there's no excuse for not being able to put that into words. I'm sure of this. Hell, if right now, any of us were to be asked to write a review of High Def Digest, we could all churn out pages and pages of truthful criticisms with ease.

It gets even better.

quote:

i mentioned that i'm withholding actual analysis of it because i'm not wanting to spoil the PROPER coverage of a review. so that isn't my only complaint. it WILL get very, VERY detailed, and borderline abusive, never you worry. it's atop the stack right now to go re-view for the review.

you can quote anyone you like. but i do make my own grading decisions. sites can give THE THIRD MAN's studiocanal collection release praise, but those of us who know better just shake our heads.

What a jackass.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

It gets even better.

What a jackass.
I didn't realize that guy was Project Blu. Yeah, he sucks and so does his solo website. He's like an Armond White of picture quality, looking at some of his other reviews.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My favorite thing about that list is the part where the one guy seriously thinks that Criterion handling Don Bluth's films would be a good thing. Yes, because marginal animated films from the 80s are the kind of films that Criterion needs to spend their time and money on!

Quickly, let's get all the essays we can written on "All Dogs Go to Heaven!" Let's get a commentary track from Burt Reynolds. Let's get the storyboards people!"

Edit: Well, I found out what happened to the voice actress from the film on Wikipedia. That's really a terrible thing to happen.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 20, 2011

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

My favorite thing about that list is the part where the one guy seriously thinks that Criterion handling Don Bluth's films would be a good thing. Yes, because marginal animated films from the 80s are the kind of films that Criterion needs to spend their time and money on!

To be honest, a lot of the Criterion collection is pretty drat marginal, and I am not referring to Armageddon and The Rock.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Quickly, let's get all the essays we can written on "All Dogs Go to Heaven!" Let's get a commentary track from Burt Reynolds. Let's get the storyboards people!"

Edit: Well, I found out what happened to the voice actress from the film on Wikipedia. That's really a terrible thing to happen.

The only animated films Criterion would realistically obtain would be from MGM - including the Bluth films. I think they'd only end up getting the few Bakshi features (Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic) and Yellow Submarine. The latter is a long-shot, but who would have thought Criterion could get Easy Rider?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

The only animated films Criterion would realistically obtain would be from MGM - including the Bluth films. I think they'd only end up getting the few Bakshi features (Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic) and Yellow Submarine. The latter is a long-shot, but who would have thought Criterion could get Easy Rider?

I'm hoping that one day they will be able to license Sylvain Chomet's films from Sony.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
2 disc special edition of Inglourious Basterds is also 9.99 on Amazon at the moment.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion Collection: Heavy Metal

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, if StudioCanal is only the R2 French distributor, Le Roi et L'oiseau would be a great Criterion. Incredible animation directed by Paul Grimault and with a script by Jacques Prevert! It was started in the 1950s, but released before completion. Grimault bought back the film in the 1970s and re-released a proper completed version in 1980. The French DVD is loaded with extras and a full digital restoration was released in Japan by Studio Ghibli - one of the films Miyazaki was influenced by.

The only DVD in R1 is an out of print public domain edition made from the UK redub of the "unfinished" cut from the 1950s. Although, even that version is great - the redub features Peter Ustinov, Claire Bloom, and Denholm Elliot! They could probably include this version as an extra.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, regarding animation, Fantastic Mr. Fox would seem to be a sure bet within the next few years given their relationship with Wes Anderson.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A&E is releasing Farscape: The Complete Series on November 15th. No other news yet besides that it will be on 20 disc

$139.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005CXOG8M

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 21, 2011

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
If Criterion released Bakshi's Heavy Traffic, I'd poo poo bricks. It's by far his best film, and really one of the best animated films I've ever seen. I'd love to see a Bakshi commentary track and some of the infamous deleted scenes from the film. A blu-ray would also be nice.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Amazon has The World At War for 40 bucks, not sure about the transfer though. Someone sell me on it?

http://www.amazon.com/World-at-War-Blu-ray/dp/B003X3BYEC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm still wanting Zissou on Criterion, what a gorgeous film. :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

maniacripper posted:

Amazon has The World At War for 40 bucks, not sure about the transfer though. Someone sell me on it?

http://www.amazon.com/World-at-War-Blu-ray/dp/B003X3BYEC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

They cropped it down to 1.78:1 from 4:3 for the Blu-Ray release.

You would be better off buying the DVD set which has the correct aspect ratio.

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

Sporadic posted:

They cropped it down to 1.78:1 from 4:3 for the Blu-Ray release.

You would be better off buying the DVD set which has the correct aspect ratio.

This is such a drat shame - I'd love to buy it for $40 but it's just not worth it to me in a mutilated form.

edit - the dvds are actually available for the same price - buying

Bert Fegg fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Partial specs for Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1

There's a 3-disc digibook and a collector's box. While the amount of cartoons is slightly less - the DVD volumes ranged from 56 to 75 - that's still impressive.

The three 1080p cartoons on The Adventures of Robin Hood looked fantastic, so this should be a great display of remastered animation. A lot of the pre-1950s cartoons have grainier source materials and the DVDs simply couldn't handle the grain. On Blu-Ray, these will finally look right without compression eating away the image.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The review for the Stargate Atlantis: Complete Series boxset went up at Blu-Ray.com

quote:

As to the packaging, it's refreshingly simple. A glossy cardboard sleeve houses three standard-height Blu-ray cases: a thick 8-disc case that houses Seasons One and Two, another beefy 8-disc case that contains Seasons Three and Four, and a thinner 4-disc case that's home to Season Five. No unwieldy collector's box, no oversized monolith, no infuriatingly ungainly monstrosity. Sometimes simple is simply better, and Stargate Atlantis is one of the more wonderfully understated, shelf-friendly complete series box sets on the market.

Nice :)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stargate-Atlantis-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/23182/#Review

Bert Fegg posted:

This is such a drat shame - I'd love to buy it for $40 but it's just not worth it to me in a mutilated form.

edit - the dvds are actually available for the same price - buying

Yeah, it's even worse because they cleaned up the full image before cropping it down. They tried to say that they had to crop it since no TV station was interested in a fullscreen show but if that was the case, why not crop it down for TV and release the real aspect ratio on home video?

Egbert Souse posted:

Partial specs for Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1

There's a 3-disc digibook and a collector's box. While the amount of cartoons is slightly less - the DVD volumes ranged from 56 to 75 - that's still impressive.

The three 1080p cartoons on The Adventures of Robin Hood looked fantastic, so this should be a great display of remastered animation. A lot of the pre-1950s cartoons have grainier source materials and the DVDs simply couldn't handle the grain. On Blu-Ray, these will finally look right without compression eating away the image.

Preorders for these just popped up.

Digibook = $41.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005DMHHHY

Collector's Box = $55.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005DMHHKQ

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 22, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

42 bucks doesn't seem expensive at all for that package. I can't see any reason to get the 55 dollar one unless you REALLY want some tchotchkes, though. Maybe the book is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody know what the value of The Third Man Criterion (with new and old case) is? I need some cash and I'm not really attached to the movie so I don't mind selling it but looking at eBay, it has sold for $50 and it has also sold for $86

• Locked thread