Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Been a listener for over 10 years and this show is just getting old to me. After all this time I don't know why. I find myself changing the channel on my Sirius radio when I used to NEVER touch it. Show is just getting kinda "bleh" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Kelly posted:

They really are...there's no flavor to them. I didn't think it was possible, but he makes the show sound like instructions for automotive care or something.

Yeah and he's been doing this for like 12 years or something. You would think he would be able to write a summary of the show that doesn't sound like a fourth grade love note.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Present company excluded, MarksFriggin is written at the reading comprehension level of an average Stern fan.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Seaming

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

When Stern first went to Sirius, did he start out with 5 live shows a week? Or was it always 4?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

haljordan posted:

When Stern first went to Sirius, did he start out with 5 live shows a week? Or was it always 4?

5 days a week with no commercials.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I mean, 4 days a week isn't too bad and 3 is acceptable, but to only do 4 live shows in an entire month is kind of pathetic. I think Stern's at the point now where his mindset is "gently caress it, I don't owe anyone anything." Which kind of sucks, considering how hard he pimped his move to satellite and got so many people to sign up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I wonder if Sirius is still paying to have those ISDN lines in Howard, Robin, and Fred's house? To my knowledge they have not been used since the "ISDN Show" they did to test them out.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Bonzo posted:

I wonder if Sirius is still paying to have those ISDN lines in Howard, Robin, and Fred's house? To my knowledge they have not been used since the "ISDN Show" they did to test them out.

What's the backstory on the ISDN show? Did they seriously broadcast a show from their homes?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

dyn posted:

What's the backstory on the ISDN show? Did they seriously broadcast a show from their homes?

Fred used one of his daughter's toys for sound effects. It was amazing.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
here's the isdn show http://www.mediafire.com/?5c464mhae44mugb

and these are the test shows from before they started on Sirius http://www.mediafire.com/?ceqyfrq401tt33o & http://www.mediafire.com/?gc5y3g2ht2gwf2b

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

sedative posted:

here's the isdn show http://www.mediafire.com/?5c464mhae44mugb

I love you.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'm almost positive Robin attributed a quote by Beethoven to Mozart on yesterday's show. $800 wine and all the money to actually visit Vienna but she's too cheap to check or know her sources.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The fact that the Howard 100 news team covers the ridiculous minutae of the show, no matter how tangentially related, but didn't cover Ronnie's audition, is loving hysterical.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

fuzzi posted:

Yeah and he's been doing this for like 12 years or something. You would think he would be able to write a summary of the show that doesn't sound like a fourth grade love note.

It's an extremely dry recap with just the facts. Howard probably said "or something crazy like that" verbatim so it gets recorded. Howard had said previously that they tried to give Mark a job to transcribe the shows officially but his standards were so :spergin: that he was impossible to negotiate with.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

The fact that the Howard 100 news team covers the ridiculous minutae of the show, no matter how tangentially related, but didn't cover Ronnie's audition, is loving hysterical.

How many people are actually on the Howard 100 news team? You could probably get that job done with a high school intern.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Millstone posted:

It's an extremely dry recap with just the facts. Howard probably said "or something crazy like that" verbatim so it gets recorded. Howard had said previously that they tried to give Mark a job to transcribe the shows officially but his standards were so :spergin: that he was impossible to negotiate with.

That is how I remember it too. He got mad that Howard wanted to edit the content in the recap after he turned it in to them. Even JK Rowling has an editor, Mark.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Kelly posted:

That is how I remember it too. He got mad that Howard wanted to edit the content in the recap after he turned it in to them. Even JK Rowling has an editor, Mark.

If he's that picky about it, I don't understand why he doesn't just type up a complete transcript of the show...

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008

haljordan posted:

How many people are actually on the Howard 100 news team? You could probably get that job done with a high school intern.

I dont "get" the Howard 100 News team. Their update is right in the middle of my drive time, more often than not its Lisa G gushing over Howard and Beth, and they seem to actually take themselves seriously as journalists.

I'll give them credit that they've been the catalyst for some huge bits/ show drama, but overall they're an unnecessary bunch of wankers.

Given Sirus' financial troubles pre-merger, I've never understood why they havent given the job to interns. Assume 30k plus Benefits per person, just as a number I have no clue if I'm close. I count Lisa G, Hi-Pitch Mike, Ralph Howard, Steve Langford and a Manager that was mentioned this morning. There, I've just saved 150k annually.

I've omitted Shuli from that list as I think he's funny, a talented writer, and I know he's pulling duties for other channels at Sirus.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Alkaphanel posted:

I dont "get" the Howard 100 News team. Their update is right in the middle of my drive time, more often than not its Lisa G gushing over Howard and Beth, and they seem to actually take themselves seriously as journalists.

I'll give them credit that they've been the catalyst for some huge bits/ show drama, but overall they're an unnecessary bunch of wankers.

Given Sirus' financial troubles pre-merger, I've never understood why they havent given the job to interns. Assume 30k plus Benefits per person, just as a number I have no clue if I'm close. I count Lisa G, Hi-Pitch Mike, Ralph Howard, Steve Langford and a Manager that was mentioned this morning. There, I've just saved 150k annually.

I've omitted Shuli from that list as I think he's funny, a talented writer, and I know he's pulling duties for other channels at Sirus.
They've already eliminated George Flowers, Penny Crone and some other people from the news.

In other news, remember ETM's cover of Wild Thing? Did we ever get to hear the other song he was working on, "Our Two Hearts Will Prove Them Wrong" ??

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

They had commercials. I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Kelly posted:

It's a lot more complicated than that.

http://marksfriggin.com/ultimate.htm

In 2004 someone at the Stern staff asked Mark to write the synopsis for each day's show. However, part of the deal said marksfriggin.com could only serve to redirect to howardstern.com from then on. Mark wasn't allowed to put his own synopsis on his site anymore, which would've lost him a lot of ad revenue. Stern and K-Rock weren't going to pay Mark for any of his work either, nor would they put any links back to marksfriggin on howardstern.com.

Mark, being a superfan, actually agreed to all this. When he sent in his rundown every day someone on the staff would edit it to sound like a cheesy tabloid and then not bother to update the site until late in the evening. On top of that they attributed the rundown to Mark Mercer only, so he wound up getting all the hate mail.

Like most things at the Stern office they hosed it up and blamed someone else.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

quote:

@DaveatLFPress: Steve Langford has quit Howard Stern show, something that doesn't happen very often. Off to new radio venture in New York. Good luck, bro.

:confused:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Smeep posted:

His new radio venture involves stealing them out of parked cars.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Funny, when they said that the news department was shorthanded, I was wondering if someone quit or was fired.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Fuuuuck I hope not, that guy is a motherfucking pit bull and broke tons of good poo poo.

Lisa G breaks stories about Robin reading relationship books and cookie parties.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Smeep posted:

I think that reads "Dave at London Free Press", a newspaper in London, Ontario, where Langford once studied at (University of Western Ontario).

</sleuth>

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If Langford is gone, what else is there left to care about?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

chiz posted:

Fuuuuck I hope not, that guy is a motherfucking pit bull and broke tons of good poo poo.

Lisa G breaks stories about Robin reading relationship books and cookie parties.

Absolutely. Langford did real investigative journalism like the story behind Kenneth Keith Kallenbach's death in jail.

Langford took the job seriously and did real stories. Without him they might as well close the news department. No one will miss it, including Howard.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

confirmed that the twitter account is David Langford, Steve's brother, and if anyone were actually reading said twitter account, they would have found about about this 3 days ago.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Langford was smart to leave before Howard could berate him on the air for an hour.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Langford was a douche.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

But he had a huge peniiiiiiis.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Former Human posted:

But he had a huge peniiiiiiis.

Steve Langford's monster fat penis (monster fat penis)
I want it inside of me

Sour-- sour. Sour?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Langford was a douche.

Langford was hilarious.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
God, why couldn't they have fired Lisa G? She hasn't been funny since the Roll Call days.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

God, why couldn't they have fired Lisa G? She hasn't been funny since the Roll Call days.

well, to be fair she didn't know that she was being funny, ie, laughed at.

MAN the show is just more and more in tatters these days. No more Artie, no more Midget, Langford is gone and Robin has a much larger presence on the show.

The show is like a bombed out battleship just coasting along, a shadow of its former self.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was a big fan of Langford on the show. That's sad news. He really got the show, and he understood his role on the show so much better than most of the people there. Or something crazy like that.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
so do we know the reason he left/got fired, whatever?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

chiz posted:

He was breaking the LAWWGGHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

chiz posted:

Probably because he got a better offer. If he cares about his journalism, and I suspect he does, then it's probably been really bad to have that job for the past 12-18 months as literally nothing has happened after Artie left aside from Howard re-signing. He can go work for a legit news outlet and do actual journalism that will make him feel more accomplished. That or he gets a bigger paycheck.