Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

I don't get this. sure the mission packs are just awful, but Quake 2 itself had nearly perfect level design. they did a really good job of sprawling you all over the place and making sure you had constant forward progression. and they always made sure you were blowing poo poo up so that you could feel all badass for clearing an objective.

And while i'm thinking about the mission packs, gently caress Ground Zero. it's got points where you can't actually avoid damage or just flat out make it difficult to do anything. TURRETS ON TOP OF DOORWAYS WITH OVERHANGS, OH BOY! FOUR ROCKET TURRETS WHILE YOU FIGHT A MEDIC, A GLADIATOR, AND 3 OF THOSE loving SPIDER CYBORGS, THIS IS TOTALLY DOABLE IN ONE TRY!
Turrets in a quake game are the loving worst decision ever.

The mission packs are indeed awful. I bought the Quad Damage pack ages ago and I played them all in succession, having never played Quake2 before. Quake2 proper has a great atmosphere and plenty enough story. If you can get past how every texture is brown it's an excellent game. The mission packs are just terrible and I seem to remember them running at about half the framerate too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OneEightHundred posted:

Quake 1's software renderer also used a gamma-correct lighting table so things didn't look really washed out or change tone based on light levels. People tend to not notice this, but you really can't just disable filtering in glquake and have it look like the software renderer, and that is why.

Are there any sourceports that can emulate software rendering completely in hardware? Software rendered Quake, but in 1920x1200 goodness.

Wasn't there also something about GLQuake getting the texture lookup wrong so you end up with the wrong textures in some places?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

Are there any sourceports that can emulate software rendering completely in hardware? Software rendered Quake, but in 1920x1200 goodness.

Wasn't there also something about GLQuake getting the texture lookup wrong so you end up with the wrong textures in some places?

I think Fitzquake does this.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought
Anyone looking for a cool modern take on Episode 1 of Doom can do worse than Double Impact: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16419

Much harder, higher monster counts. Its not a reinterpretation of E1, more just influenced from it. For reinterpretations of Doom/UDoom, Wonderful Doom (wd12.wad, replaces E1-E4)) & The Ultimate Needs More Detail (nmdu.wad replaces E1-E3) are worth a check.

Also, to see where Doom is at now in terms of gameplay/level design, should check out Sunder v1.4.1 ( http://www.sendspace.com/file/jrirrc ) & Deus Vult 2.

Great thread. Love all the older games like in this thread, partly due to my age, no doubt, but its cool to see younger people appreciating them as well.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I apologize if this has been mentioned. There is a fun, somewhat recent campaign for Fitzquake called "Travail". I rate it very highly for both mapping and fun!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

I think Fitzquake does this.

EzQuake did the trick with a bit of fiddling in the console. No texture filters, no colored lights, just software-style Quake in hardware-accelerated 1920x1200 goodness. Now, if only I could make it use the original ultra-low polygon flame effect...

I think the GLQuake texture issue is fixed as well. Are there any known problem maps for this?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

KozmoNaut posted:

Darkplaces MIGHT do that via the r_texture_convertsRGB family of cvars.

KozmoNaut posted:

EzQuake did the trick with a bit of fiddling in the console. No texture filters, no colored lights, just software-style Quake in hardware-accelerated 1920x1200 goodness.
Well, as I mentioned, it's NOT just disabling filtering, it's also fixing how the light multiplication works so it doesn't screw up the texture tones at medium light levels. Humorously enough, doing that wasn't really even possible with 3D acceleration until DX9 hardware.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 20, 2011

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I want to introduce some friends to the awesomeness that is Doom/Doom2. I'm making a folder all pre-set up with GZDoom, QLZD, Brutal Doom, some updated music, & Stronghold with already made profiles in the launcher that they can just unzip to C:\Doom & play. I've even taken care of making sure they all own it so I can throw the full wads in too so they don't even have to deal with that.

Any other recommendations? Maybe Skulltag. These are fairly computer-savvy people, just lazy. Too bad I can't distribute this, it seems like it would be good to encourage new people to play if they didn't have to deal with any setup. Oh well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

I think the GLQuake texture issue is fixed as well. Are there any known problem maps for this?

I remember the underwater effects in GLQuake were really annoying. The game's engine would force the underwater geometry to distort, rather than putting some kind of low-res wavy filter over the display like the Software render would. I'm not sure if that's an adequate description, but you could try running vanilla WinQuake and taking a dive in the river of e1m1 and doing the same in vanilla GLQuake, you'll see what I mean.

It often causes weird holes to appear and clipping to happen with the wall geometry, depending on how it's structured.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Anyone looking for a cool modern take on Episode 1 of Doom can do worse than Double Impact

I just checked out some double impact on YouTube, and if you think that is impressive, you have to play Knee Deep in zDoom. It's a reimaging of doom ep1 using all of the modern features of the zDoom engine. Not only is it very technically impressive, the single player level design is top notch and it is genuinely scary.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mantle posted:

I just checked out some double impact on YouTube, and if you think that is impressive, you have to play Knee Deep in zDoom. It's a reimaging of doom ep1 using all of the modern features of the zDoom engine. Not only is it very technically impressive, the single player level design is top notch and it is genuinely scary.

The Shores of ZDoom is apparently well into development too, now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Arcsech posted:

I'm making a folder all pre-set up with GZDoom, QLZD, Brutal Doom, some updated music, & Stronghold with already made profiles in the launcher that they can just unzip to C:\Doom & play

This is EXACTLY the kind of scenario I wrote QLZD for! Yaaay!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

This is EXACTLY the kind of scenario I wrote QLZD for! Yaaay!

QLZD is what inspired me to do this after I finally got around to reading this thread a few days ago, and it's already proved incredibly useful just for personal use. Thanks a lot! :)

Edit: Playing Brutal Doom a bit more, how do I disable reloading? I'm too used to playing Doom normally, wading into a cluster of imps, firing, & having your guy go into the stupid reloading animation is the definition of unfun.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OneEightHundred posted:

Darkplaces MIGHT do that via the r_texture_convertsRGB family of cvars.

Well, as I mentioned, it's NOT just disabling filtering, it's also fixing how the light multiplication works so it doesn't screw up the texture tones at medium light levels. Humorously enough, doing that wasn't really even possible with 3D acceleration until DX9 hardware.

It looks pretty good to me, looks just like ezQuake using the software renderer (click for enbiggenment):

Mak0rz posted:

I remember the underwater effects in GLQuake were really annoying. The game's engine would force the underwater geometry to distort, rather than putting some kind of low-res wavy filter over the display like the Software render would. I'm not sure if that's an adequate description, but you could try running vanilla WinQuake and taking a dive in the river of e1m1 and doing the same in vanilla GLQuake, you'll see what I mean.

It often causes weird holes to appear and clipping to happen with the wall geometry, depending on how it's structured.

I hate that effect, too. Luckily, there doesn't even seem to be an option to enable it, just the tint:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

I don't get this. sure the mission packs are just awful, but Quake 2 itself had nearly perfect level design. they did a really good job of sprawling you all over the place and making sure you had constant forward progression. and they always made sure you were blowing poo poo up so that you could feel all badass for clearing an objective.

And while i'm thinking about the mission packs, gently caress Ground Zero. it's got points where you can't actually avoid damage or just flat out make it difficult to do anything. TURRETS ON TOP OF DOORWAYS WITH OVERHANGS, OH BOY! FOUR ROCKET TURRETS WHILE YOU FIGHT A MEDIC, A GLADIATOR, AND 3 OF THOSE loving SPIDER CYBORGS, THIS IS TOTALLY DOABLE IN ONE TRY!
Turrets in a quake game are the loving worst decision ever.

I thought The Reckoning was way worse. The start area has a canyon maze filled with some ape enemy thing that take forever to kill because you only have the lovely Shotgun and Blaster. Then you start getting into the tech bases and they're as linear and boring as possible. The "new" enemies that are actually recolored, bullet-sponge versions of the Gladiator and Brain enemies. Even the new weapons suck rear end. It's like they took everything good from Quake 2 and replaced it with lovely and boring-looking levels

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

closeted republican posted:

It's like they took everything good from Quake 2 and replaced it with lovely and boring-looking levels

So... they replaced it with Quake 2. :haw:

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

All this Quake 2 talk made me remember the day when someone showed me the PS1 port of Quake 2: the first thing I said was "Holy poo poo, colors!". I wish the PC version would look like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nekoxid posted:

All this Quake 2 talk made me remember the day when someone showed me the PS1 port of Quake 2: the first thing I said was "Holy poo poo, colors!". I wish the PC version would look like that.

The PC version can look like that, but I have no idea how to do it. The texture quality is there, but everything still ends up all washed-out :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

The PC version can look like that, but I have no idea how to do it. The texture quality is there, but everything still ends up all washed-out :(

:ssh: Software rendering

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

KozmoNaut posted:

Most of the textures aren't that high-res, so they end up losing most semblance of detail with filtering, and the pervasive coloured lighting puts a kind of sickly yellow-red haze over everything. Since both are absent when no 3D hardware is used, software rendering will in fact 'solve' everything as Mak0rz suggested (although it's going to look even more brown/grey than before).

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I found a mod for Quake last night (the Xoron Weapons Patch, in case you're wondering), but I'm having trouble getting it to work in Windows XP. I'm using Darkplaces but have no idea how to use the mod, which consists of a modified pak0.pk file.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Patch or mod?

If it's a mod, it needs it's own folder. When you open darkplaces, on the bottom of the options is to switch mods. Activate it, start a new game, and it should work?

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: Software rendering

Believe me, even then it won't be nothing like this (Youtube link). But yeah at least it was less brown :).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nekoxid posted:

Believe me, even then it won't be nothing like this (Youtube link). But yeah at least it was less brown :).

Some of it is texture work, but you can sort of get there by fiddling around with the gamma, contrast and brightness. They're set really hosed up by default.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Arcsech posted:

Edit: Playing Brutal Doom a bit more, how do I disable reloading? I'm too used to playing Doom normally, wading into a cluster of imps, firing, & having your guy go into the stupid reloading animation is the definition of unfun.

Seconding this question. Hopefully it's an optional thing. :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cobweb Heart posted:

Seconding this question. Hopefully it's an optional thing. :(

It's there to offset the generally slightly higher damage output from the player. The basic shotgun does SSG-level damage now, so it reloads to compensate.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

It's there to offset the generally slightly higher damage output from the player. The basic shotgun does SSG-level damage now, so it reloads to compensate.

No it does not.

Brutal Doom makes the normal shotgun pretty lame in Doom 2 frankly. The SSG has a single shot mode now, and the pistol is now far more ideal for long range shooting.

It's still fine in Doom 1 though seeing as there is no SSG.

The balance is pretty weird in Brutal Doom. Pistol, Minigun, SSG, and Plasma all got better, and Shotgun, Rocket, and BFG all got worse.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dominic White posted:

It's still not fun, especially after years of being trained to not worry about that in Doom. Especially without some kind of "Rounds left in clip" display.

Anyway, after a bit of digging, I found this post by the dev, in which he says that reloading a) will not be touched in the standard mod, b) it's a matter of consistency rather than balance, and c) he will be making an add-on (similar to regenerating health) to get rid of reloading. I can't wait until that comes out.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You guys are crazy, I use the hell out of the regular shotgun. Just bind a reload key and hit it on a regular basis, it's not really a big deal.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's still a solid weapon because it's still the shotgun, but reloading is a pretty huge nerf while the SSG got a pretty huge buff. And having to reload it does get very tiresome after a while considering how much you use it in Doom 1.

I really don't see a reason to use it anymore at all in Doom 2.

I feel like if he's trying to make it feel more 'realistic' or something, he should significantly shorten the pump time between shots to compensate for having to reload it now.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Mantle posted:

This is a joke right? KDiZD is notorious for stripping away everything that makes Doom Doom, having confusing level design and gameplay, and being an excercise in excessiveness. It's a good example of what the Doom engine is technically capable of, but it's not a good example of an enjoyable experience.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Wait, did you just say Doom isn't about confusing level design?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Wait, did you just say Doom isn't about confusing level design?

You must be one of those poor lost souls that played Doom II or Plutonia before the first game.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
I closed out KDiZD as soon as I saw there was an opening cutscene.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vita posted:

I closed out KDiZD as soon as I saw there was an opening cutscene.

Yup, a game's one and only cutscene, despite being skippable with a single button, would ruin it for me too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah... there's a few stoic doom purists that HATE KDiZD and pretty much everything else its creators have made.

I will never understand these people.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mak0rz posted:

You must be one of those poor lost souls that played Doom II or Plutonia before the first game.

Doom was the first non-shareware/Apogee demo PC game my 9 year old self had ever played, and I still prefer Doom 2's pre-cityscape levels to KDitD.

e; Oh god, the last 15 years of my life...

treat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 22, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Yeah... there's a few stoic doom purists that HATE KDiZD and pretty much everything else its creators have made.

I will never understand these people.

Pretty sure people on Doomworld literally hate fun.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I don't know, I'm not super-hardcore or anything but I've been playing Doom for a while and I really liked playing through KDiZD for the first time and picking out all the stuff that I recognized from the original. I think it's really cool and the level of detail is impressive as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

tooooooo bad posted:

Pretty sure people on Doomworld literally hate fun.

Jesus, I don't think I've ever seen any page that has been so right and so wrong within two awards.

On a different topic, I have been enjoying playing through the original Doom with Brutal Doom on, and was wondering if there was anything similar for Heretic? Something in the vein of Beautiful Doom or ReDoom would be cool too.

Really I just want a key to mash that throws out a gloved hand, middle finger extended, while an elven voice cries out, "FORNICATE THYSELF!"