Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Mochiloc posted:

So what do you put "playing Angry Birds HD" under on the tracking system?

"Miscellaneous: Other: System Issues"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
People making up spurious legal rights on the spot is really loving irritating.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 15, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, I love when they say poo poo like "We'll see what MY ATTORNEY has to say about this!!!!1"

Okay, whatever. Your attorney will probably just tell you to sign the loving form you babby, then he'll bill you $300 for his consultation.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Apparently there's a "legal right" to speak to a manager, and a "legal right" to have access to your account without any form of verification of identity. The data protection act is irrelevant to this, and he knows this as he works for <bank>. It's a shame that act isn't irrelevant, as it would have been great to have phoned that wanker's employer and tell them about the huuuge loving risk they were running.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Personally I am happy whenever someone says they will be hiring a lawyer and suing over a $10 fee because that means that I'm obligated to transfer them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wootcannon posted:

Apparently there's a "legal right" to speak to a manager, and a "legal right" to have access to your account without any form of verification of identity. The data protection act is irrelevant to this, and he knows this as he works for <bank>. It's a shame that act isn't irrelevant, as it would have been great to have phoned that wanker's employer and tell them about the huuuge loving risk they were running.

Hey, I've had that guy who claims they are legally allowed to escalate the call! I took great delight in telling him there is no such thing and asking him if he actually wanted to fix the issues with his account or if we should just end the call right now. I wasn't wasting a manager's time with his nonsense, that was certain as soon as he started pulling out his law cards.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

"I HAVE A RIGHT TO MY INFORMATION! IT'S DATA PROTECTION!"
"Yes. You do not, however, have the right to specify the means by which you receive that information. I'll put it in writing"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Semprini posted:

"I HAVE A RIGHT TO MY INFORMATION! IT'S DATA PROTECTION!"
"Yes. You do not, however, have the right to specify the means by which you receive that information. I'll put it in writing"

No no, it's even better:

"You have the right to that information, however you are required to put your request to the data protection registrar in writing at this address and pay the administration fee (usually around £10)."

You want all your notes, that's fine, but I ain't printing them all and mailing them to you when the law specifies that you have to do it this way and we charge you an admin fee (mostly to stop people from doing this just to waste our time and resources).

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So I do believe I set a record for the longest call in my center. 4 hours and 26 minutes. Why? Because a lady wanted her network password. When I get a call, I pretty much run through a standard checklist of things I can & can't do via telephone. Right now it's limited as hell. They even took away my access to Microsoft's KB because it was "too involved" for our tier of support. Anyhow, the lady wants her network password. Not a problem, as our techs set it up a year ago and it should be in the notes on her account... Oh wait.

The tech didn't put it in there. Nor did they write it down for her. So I spend about 20 minutes going through our list of default passwords, and nothing works. I'm about to send her to tier 2 who CAN handle this via remote access (but she'd have to pay for it), when I pull up her receipt from when she paid for the techs and there's this archaic, found once-in-a-blue-moon protection plan. She paid $99 and now has unlimited remote access for life.

So I transfer over to the online remote support dept. They keep dodging me because the plan is not in any systems, nor does it have a reference number to bring it up. So my supervisor decides to take over the call. she jumps through every hoop that the remote dept throws at us for "information and proof" of this plan. We even send them via e-mail a digital copy of her receipt proving she purchased the plan.

We get put on hold for 45 minutes and never get picked back up. So we call again and the same thing happens. We call again. And again. The lady finally hung up after 4 & a half hours. I walk out the building at 12:30 at night. My shift was supposed to end at 11:00 p.m. All for what could've taken online 3, maybe 4 minutes, tops.

So fair warning. Sometimes those of us on the other end of the line are fighting for you, we just get dumped on as well.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Today was my last day at the call center. I feel bad about leaving so quickly which I usually never do but I had a much better job pretty much fall in my lap.

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Do you work handling donations as well? I can't think of much else they'd have a full on call center for a university besides maybe tuition.

Yeah, it's called the telefund - all we do is get pledges that go into designated parts of the university to raise funds.

You know, we don't get enough credit because it's a god awful job. I wish I had a product to sell, or that people were actually calling us rather than the other way around. It's brutal having to call someone who graduated back in the 70s, tell them about improvements that have been made on the campus that wasn't around when they were students, and ask them for money at times like these. Soul-crushing, mind-numbing, suicide-inducing work, man. And for a grand payment of $8.20 an hour for a 3-hour shift!

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

El Ste posted:

Yeah, it's called the telefund - all we do is get pledges that go into designated parts of the university to raise funds.

You know, we don't get enough credit because it's a god awful job. I wish I had a product to sell, or that people were actually calling us rather than the other way around. It's brutal having to call someone who graduated back in the 70s, tell them about improvements that have been made on the campus that wasn't around when they were students, and ask them for money at times like these. Soul-crushing, mind-numbing, suicide-inducing work, man. And for a grand payment of $8.20 an hour for a 3-hour shift!

$8.20? I got paid $7.25 to do that. Seriously though, there's not a lot easier than alumni telethon, and that's coming from someone who fundraised for actual non profits. The hours are easy, the people aren't too bad and it's about as low stress as call centers get.

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Effexxor posted:

$8.20? I got paid $7.25 to do that. Seriously though, there's not a lot easier than alumni telethon, and that's coming from someone who fundraised for actual non profits. The hours are easy, the people aren't too bad and it's about as low stress as call centers get.

To be honest, I wouldn't know. It's my first real job (and with that statement comes the disappointing realisation that what I consider my first 'real' job is working at a call centre) and it's soul-destroying if you ask me. If it's one of the easier ones I can say without doubt that I'm extremely grateful for not having to be in the business for more than a summer.

Thing is, I'd trade harder work and more stress for a call job that actually involved me being called, rather than
sending out calls. If I helped I might possibly get a fleeting feeling of satisfaction. As it is now, asking people who are retired/on fixed income to donate money to a university that is unrecognisable from the very one that they graduated from thirty years ago, especially in dire economic times like this...well, it just makes me feel a bit prostitute-y, really.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

El Ste posted:

To be honest, I wouldn't know. It's my first real job (and with that statement comes the disappointing realisation that what I consider my first 'real' job is working at a call centre) and it's soul-destroying if you ask me. If it's one of the easier ones I can say without doubt that I'm extremely grateful for not having to be in the business for more than a summer.

Thing is, I'd trade harder work and more stress for a call job that actually involved me being called, rather than
sending out calls. If I helped I might possibly get a fleeting feeling of satisfaction. As it is now, asking people who are retired/on fixed income to donate money to a university that is unrecognisable from the very one that they graduated from thirty years ago, especially in dire economic times like this...well, it just makes me feel a bit prostitute-y, really.

It's definitely not one of the easiest call centre rolls and I completely disagree with the $7.25 dude. Anything involving outbound calls, especially those soliciting cash (however noble the cause), will be far more draining than almost any inbound calls. It's basically cold-calling - hardly anyone self-identifies as an alumni to the extent that they're completely okay with random phone calls asking for a hand-out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

$8/hr for a call center seems low. I know all the call centers nearby pay at least $12/hr, most around $13-$15.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ZeroDays posted:

It's definitely not one of the easiest call centre rolls and I completely disagree with the $7.25 dude. Anything involving outbound calls, especially those soliciting cash (however noble the cause), will be far more draining than almost any inbound calls. It's basically cold-calling - hardly anyone self-identifies as an alumni to the extent that they're completely okay with random phone calls asking for a hand-out.

Yeah, I'd actually want more money to do that than to do collections/recoveries work. At least for that most customers are expecting someone to ask for the money.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Bovine Delight posted:

$8/hr for a call center seems low. I know all the call centers nearby pay at least $12/hr, most around $13-$15.

I've wondered about this myself. I have a few friends who work at a tech support call center that pays about $8-9/hour. There's tons of reviews on glassdoor.com complaining about the pay, but I notice that this call center also has a very liberal dress code (i.e., jeans are okay, facial piercings and unnatural hair colors are okay, ripped clothing is okay) and it seems a little easier for employees to move from entry-level roles after they've stuck around for a while. I've also heard really liberal things about the work environment--they have a gym onsite, offer free lunch to employees, etc. I also notice that while employees might work unusual hours and shifts, they're guaranteed two consecutive days off during the week.

My call center initially paid me about $35.2k for entry level customer service calls, but I've only heard of two people ever moving on from an entry-level position taking phone calls, even though most of the people that work there have been with the company for at least five years... We also have to wear slacks, blouses, closed-toe shoes and the like, since we share an office building with professionals who don't do call center work. Most of the employees also have split days off. I've been looking through job listings, and I really do wonder if the high pay is to compensate for us adhering to a stricter dress code and a less flexible schedule than what I've heard about most call centers.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Progressive started me at 13.50, and I've already gotten two performance bumps.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Huh, so apparently my call center might be hiring people soon for off-phone work. The two openings are overnights, but I don't really care--I'm just sick of answering phones, and maybe this would at least be able to get me a day job at some point in anything besides customer service.

The job duty would pretty much be to predict call volume and ensure the center was staffed to handle the calls. My manager has been talking about introducing me to other departments, so I think I would have her vouching for me. I also know that this department hires from customer service sometimes. Has anyone made that transition, and is there anything in particular that I should emphasize in the interview for this type of position?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

legsarerequired posted:

Huh, so apparently my call center might be hiring people soon for off-phone work. The two openings are overnights, but I don't really care--I'm just sick of answering phones, and maybe this would at least be able to get me a day job at some point in anything besides customer service.

The job duty would pretty much be to predict call volume and ensure the center was staffed to handle the calls. My manager has been talking about introducing me to other departments, so I think I would have her vouching for me. I also know that this department hires from customer service sometimes. Has anyone made that transition, and is there anything in particular that I should emphasize in the interview for this type of position?

Yup! Resource and planning is a good one to get into in my opinion. Things to emphasise would probably be data collation and analysis. You'll be taking call volume data and AHT and turning those into an intra-day and daily profile, then using those to determine staffing requirements. Hopefully you'll be using some workforce management software to do it but you may just be using excel. Might be worth reading up on the Erlang formulae (specifically Erlang C) just to get an idea of how it works - do not worry about learning the formulae, there's plugins for excel to do it for you if you've not got workforce management software.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

It is a lovely day in my call center.

My town got hit hard with storms last night, our entire service center of 1000 employees is shut down, except customer care.

We have no lights, no A/C, no elevators, the towns water is currently considered contaminated so we cant drink the water, and generators are running our computers and phones.

The storm caused water damage and partially flooded the center, we have wet carpets and we are on the 4th floor. It is loving humid as poo poo and 93 degrees in here.

Managements way to "help us"? Bring us sub sandwhiches, a minimal amount of bottled water, and allow us to wear shorts and sandals and t shirts.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

JackRabbitStorm posted:

My town got hit hard with storms last night, our entire service center of 1000 employees is shut down, except customer care.

We have no lights, no A/C, no elevators, the towns water is currently considered contaminated so we cant drink the water, and generators are running our computers and phones.

The storm caused water damage and partially flooded the center, we have wet carpets and we are on the 4th floor. It is loving humid as poo poo and 93 degrees in here.

Managements way to "help us"? Bring us sub sandwhiches, a minimal amount of bottled water, and allow us to wear shorts and sandals and t shirts.

It's incredible that they still expect you to take calls in these circumstances. I'm curious as to where the gently caress they would draw the line and say "okay, we have to take a hit today".

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

ZeroDays posted:

It's incredible that they still expect you to take calls in these circumstances. I'm curious as to where the gently caress they would draw the line and say "okay, we have to take a hit today".

but...my metrics...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

JackRabbitStorm posted:

We had a major network failure once, when I was inbound CD for a shopping channel. So, *no* access to any customer records, no billing, not even the customer-facing website for the channel. (I think we lost all the local logging and such as well, but I disremember.)

They opened us up for overflow calls from the sales call-centers, as the channel was running a sale. Gave us paper order forms, to take customer IDs (like they know them), payment info (hahahahah) and the items they wanted. ("Oh, there was a pretty watch being shown fifteen minutes ago. The color? It was shiny :downs:")

One of these days a train is going to jump the tracks (building is like 15' away from a major freight/passenger line) and I suspect they'll try to keep up even if the building is munched.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Why do the phones never go down in situations like this?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

dustbin posted:

Why do the phones never go down in situations like this?

Because we are hated. :(.

Here it is, 9:39PM, I ahve a desk light, a computer, a fan, and my phone. No overhead lights are on. The AC is still off.

It is 92 degrees in here I cannot wait to be done with work so I can deal with the insurance company on filing the claim on the damage my car undertook from this same storm.

And then I will do what most call center people I know. Drink till they forget the day they just had.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Reminds me of the time a fire broke out at my old call center. Alarms blaring, sirens outside, the whole works. We had to tell people and bail pretty much. A couple of callers told us they gave no fucks if we burned alive, we'd better stay. Fortunately, my lady was pretty understanding - especially since I was right under an alarm.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aerofallosov posted:

Reminds me of the time a fire broke out at my old call center. Alarms blaring, sirens outside, the whole works. We had to tell people and bail pretty much. A couple of callers told us they gave no fucks if we burned alive, we'd better stay. Fortunately, my lady was pretty understanding - especially since I was right under an alarm.

Yeah, it is sort of hilarious how some callers respond to a fire alarm.

"Oh, I'm sorry, that's the fire alarm. Look, I've got your details, I'll call you back as soon as I can, hopefully this is just a drill."
"Well I think this should only take you another moment..." <continues speaking until I am forced to hang up, calls back and gets the alternate site while the fire drill runs and complains about the rude man she just spoke to>

Broad Squad GO
Jul 20, 2004

At my last job we had to evacuate because there was a small explosion in the data center in the adjoining building, which caused it to seal off and start pumping oxygen out of the room (which hosed with oxygen levels in the rest of both buildings). Huge deal, like six fire trucks and EMT (no injuries) and lord knows what.

The company I worked for was in the process of merging one into the other, and as a result our center was the only one who took calls for business customers for that still-being-integrated company.

We had to stand out in the parking lot for hours. Initially they said we would all have to stay regardless of our shift end time, then they allowed us to leave when our shifts ended. No sooner. And this was on a Friday, no less. It sucked.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
Our call center had a flood. We're on the first floor of a building and a pipe burst on the 2nd floor. Water poured down the walls overnight and flooded our server room completely knocking us out of commission. The first day we sat around and did "Up Trainings" constantly on things that honestly, we already knew, or didn't need to know about. They knew we weren't going to be able to take calls. We couldn't go home, even unpaid...

The company's "solution" to this problem the following day was to bus employees to a different call center approximately 2 1/2 hours away, have us work for approx 3 hours, and get us back on the bus again to go home. Honestly, it was better than a normal work day for us.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Fizzle posted:

The company's "solution" to this problem the following day was to bus employees to a different call center approximately 2 1/2 hours away, have us work for approx 3 hours, and get us back on the bus again to go home. Honestly, it was better than a normal work day for us.

I would love this.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I would love this.

Yeah, I'd easily opt to take my whole working day sitting on a bus rather than taking calls. In the places I've worked, they'd have just given us a snorkel and told us to get on with it.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?

ZeroDays posted:

Yeah, I'd easily opt to take my whole working day sitting on a bus rather than taking calls. In the places I've worked, they'd have just given us a snorkel and told us to get on with it.

They eventually basically did this. Once we got the server room dried out it was "Don't mind the smell.. welcome back!!"

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Fizzle posted:

They eventually basically did this. Once we got the server room dried out it was "Don't mind the smell.. welcome back!!"

I feel sorry for you guys. That place could become Mold Hell, and your bosses probably won't even care.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

rockinricky posted:

I feel sorry for you guys. That place could become Mold Hell, and your bosses probably won't even care.

Ours did have black mold to the point they had some work scheduled, but they kept pushing it back. The walls were literally peeling and brown. I so should've called health inspectors.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Aerofallosov posted:

Ours did have black mold to the point they had some work scheduled, but they kept pushing it back. The walls were literally peeling and brown. I so should've called health inspectors.

Judging from the retail thread, they won't even come and look. Apparently they don't if you're an employee reporting the use of expired product anyway.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Judging from the retail thread, they won't even come and look. Apparently they don't if you're an employee reporting the use of expired product anyway.

but if you are a customer, its instant!

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Just a little note: If you have just purchased an iPad, try syncing it to iTunes before calling me complaining how it "doesn't work because the screen is black with this little plug thingy on the screen". I received no less than 15 calls about this today, and you will not believe how many people informed me that they didn't know they needed iTunes and will be taking it back for a refund :(

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Also, I'm going to shank one of the new guys for burning popcorn in the breakroom not once, but twice. That is a smell that does not go away quickly...

And I guess not, but it sucked having to suck down benadryl just so I could breathe in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

Also, I'm going to shank one of the new guys for burning popcorn in the breakroom not once, but twice. That is a smell that does not go away quickly...

And I guess not, but it sucked having to suck down benadryl just so I could breathe in there.

Burnt, microwaved popcorn is a horrid smell for drat sure.