Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChocolateMoose
Feb 10, 2011

renraku posted:

I'd be happier if it was Marvel. DC kind of sucks.

The only thing that sucks about this is that they'll (probably) use those terrible fleshcolor minifigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

renraku posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer Iron Man over the Man of Steel. Call me old-fashioned. :rimshot:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I've been eyeballing these Architecture sets, but I wish they made them bigger.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Oh come on guys, think about the awesome sets we could get!

The Justice League HQ!

The Fortress of Solitude!

A LEGO Source Wall with LEGO New Gods :aaaaa:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 20, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
A smug-as-gently caress looking Green Arrow minfig with a giant-rear end smirk.

I hope.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Travis343 posted:

Considering fans have made functioning, transforming robots out of actual Lego, I don't think it's that farfetched to want.

This was my only friend as a child:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8852-1

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Revol posted:

While I'm on Flickr, this is loving genius.

That's one of the most organic-looking Lego constructions I've seen.

afflictionwisp posted:

And this seems to be Lego as art more than as construction and design. A redefining to me of how Lego can be used.
The hits just keep on coming.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

renraku posted:

Mmmmm....MMMMMHHHFG yes. The fact that this is going to piss off people that don't appreciate DC is just icing on the cake.

At least Marvel-only people got those awesome *snrk* Spider-Man sets a few years back. Maybe you can get some of those. Tee hee.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
For the most part I don't think superheroes work that well in this kind stuff either way. Aside from action figures (or in this case minifigs) there's usually little in the way of iconic, recognisable vehicles or scenes so most superhero toy lines end up being really dumb vehicles that don't reference anything specific from the source material or bland, generic "scenes" and "headquarters".

Batman is the obvious exception, with the batcave and batmobile etc, most of the time you end up with Captain America's disc shooting helicopter and Green Lantern's flick missile motorbike.

Maybe for specific movie licenses you might end up with recreations of specific props and scenes. But for the most part the sort of sets most adult geeks would really want just won't be mass market enough.... and it will just end up being all about the minifigs. I prefer Marvel to DC, but it's not a license I'd get excited about either way.

This is probably the nerdiest post I have ever made.

Edit: An all transparent block invisible jet would be pretty cool though.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
A Darkseid minifig would be the greatest thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gravy Jones posted:

For the most part I don't think superheroes work that well in this kind stuff either way. Aside from action figures (or in this case minifigs) there's usually little in the way of iconic, recognisable vehicles or scenes so most superhero toy lines end up being really dumb vehicles that don't reference anything specific from the source material or bland, generic "scenes" and "headquarters".

Batman is the obvious exception, with the batcave and batmobile etc, most of the time you end up with Captain America's disc shooting helicopter and Green Lantern's flick missile motorbike.

Maybe for specific movie licenses you might end up with recreations of specific props and scenes. But for the most part the sort of sets most adult geeks would really want just won't be mass market enough.... and it will just end up being all about the minifigs. I prefer Marvel to DC, but it's not a license I'd get excited about either way.

This is probably the nerdiest post I have ever made.

Edit: An all transparent block invisible jet would be pretty cool though.

I think the problem is rather that all the recognizable buildings and such are going to be freaking gigantic. You've got the Batcave, the Fortress of Solitude, the Daily Planet, the freaking Watchtower satellite? All of these sets could easily be $90+ "Big Sets" that every line usually just has one of. Minifigs are going to be the real star here and them shits are going to get gouged like no minifig has been gouged before, because if I know Lego, they're going to pull something like only putting the Martian Manhunter fig in the $120 Watchtower set.

Also does the idea of Lego sets based on the Christopher Nolan Batman films seem kind of...wrong? They're a little too PG-13 for what Lego normally does, aren't they?

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

renraku posted:

Just as well it's both, then.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Travis343 posted:

I think the problem is rather that all the recognizable buildings and such are going to be freaking gigantic. You've got the Batcave, the Fortress of Solitude, the Daily Planet, the freaking Watchtower satellite?

I still think any of those could pretty much be anything and "recognizable" is going to be a stretch. Look at the old Batcave set. Take-out the minifigs, stickers and a handful of themed peices and it's not really that recognizable as the batcave from the comics, there's a big computer I suppose. At the end of the day it's just an environment with some batman related stuff and a lot of minifigs in it. Make it blue instead of black, switch the batman themed minifigs for spacemen and it could be an asteroid base or whatever.

Something like the Fortress of Solitude could be the same I guess... all the little gadgets and bits and pieces don't really make sense though. Ultimately the Daily Planet is just a generic building with a globe on it and the Watchtower could be any kind of headquarters. They could make any of this stuff as big or as small as they wanted to. But unlike something like the Star Wars lines, or movie licences there isn't any specific blueprint that they are modelled on.

This is completely uneducated speculation on my part and you may be right and I'm probably wrong, but I'd expect to see more "Superman foils Lex Luthers bank robbery" type stuff than the Fortress of Solitude.

This just rambling stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing what they actually do. My kid loves superheroes so it'll give me a good excuse to buy some of it :D

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 20, 2011

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think you'll see stuff like that for second-tier heroes like the Flash or Hawkman or whatever. Of course it's moot as Superman and Batman are going to be in every set just like Harry Potter and Jack Sparrow are.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Travis343 posted:

I think you'll see stuff like that for second-tier heroes like the Flash or Hawkman or whatever. Of course it's moot as Superman and Batman are going to be in every set just like Harry Potter and Jack Sparrow are.

It would be really cool if they did lots of stylish little sets with the recognisable iconic stuff. Phonebox with Clark Kent and Superman minifigs would rock.

But yeah. A lot of the heroes simply don't have much recognisable stuff that lends itself to Star Wars or even Harry Potter locations and things. I'm not that familiar with second-teir DC stuff, but is there anything Flash related, for instance, that comes to mind as an obvious set beyond the minifigures?

The same goes for Marvel. X-mansion with danger-room and Blackbird would be awesome (and break the bank). But beyond that you just don't have the same range of objects and places a lot of the other licenses have. That said following a couple of links it looks like a big part of the Marvel line is specifically related to the Avengers movie.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 21, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I demand a SHIELD Heli-carrier.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The_Doctor posted:

I demand a SHIELD Heli-carrier.

Hell yes. But as much as I really, really want a classic Hawkeye and Nick Fury I probably won't be getting them if it's movie based.

Will this be the first Samuel L Jackson mini-fig?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Gravy Jones posted:

Hell yes. But as much as I really, really want a classic Hawkeye and Nick Fury I probably won't be getting them if it's movie based.

No, he played Mace Windu in the Star Wars prequels, there are already a few minifigs of him.

Personally I'd be happy with Army Men/Stormtrooper style battle packs of the super heroes, but we all know that wouldn't make nearly enough money.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

InfinEight posted:

No, he played Mace Windu in the Star Wars prequels, there are already a few minifigs of him.

Duh! Of course.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Personally I'd be happy with Army Men/Stormtrooper style battle packs of the super heroes, but we all know that wouldn't make nearly enough money.

Sure it would, if they priced them at $10 per minifig. And people would pay, even if the toy people say 'But a 3.5" action figure only costs $8!'
Either pay through the nose for sets at 15-20 cents per piece, or pay through the nose for the minifigs themselves.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Pyroclastic posted:

Sure it would, if they priced them at $10 per minifig. And people would pay, even if the toy people say 'But a 3.5" action figure only costs $8!'
Either pay through the nose for sets at 15-20 cents per piece, or pay through the nose for the minifigs themselves.

Well yeah, but I mean like a 4-minifig pack with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and some prop, similar to the Toy Story Army Men sets. With a villain pack in similar fashion, that to me would be ideal since you could get all the minifigs without having to buy 10 different sets. That's why it won't happen though, since being able to buy all the minifigs in one set wouldn't make nearly enough money, unless it was some big 1000+ piece set.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Pics of the prototype minifigs at SDCC have hit!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65451543@N04/5959378784/

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I hope Iron Man gets fixed up...

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I would pay an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for well-done X-Men minifigs. Just imagine Cyclops, Archangel, Wolverine, Juggernaut... yeah. DC just doesn't do it for me. Other than Batman, which is ground they've already covered.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

I hope Iron Man gets fixed up...

They need to get an overlaying armor piece or something, I don't think a shirt decal is gonna cut it :(

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
The Blackbird from X-Men would be the absolute best set. Mini-fig scale.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Travis343 posted:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040143?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|LatestNews

Word from ComicCon, Lego gets full DC Superheroes license. Personally I can't wait for the Green Lantern set, which will hopefully just be a minifig and a poo poo-load of trans green to make whatever you want.

Oh god please be true (it doesn't seem confirmed yet?). It's loving painful seeing non-Lego companies getting awesome franchises like Halo, Iron Man, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Transformers.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gravy Jones posted:

They need to just do an Alfred Molina Greatest Hits line to flesh out his sizable chunk of Lego real estate. Poirot, Snidely Whiplash, Boris "The Butcher: Blavesky...

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh god please be true (it doesn't seem confirmed yet?). It's loving painful seeing non-Lego companies getting awesome franchises like Halo, Iron Man, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Transformers.

Yes, for the love of god let someone competent design some Transformers LEGO

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
gently caress licensed sets forever, bring back Ice Planet 2002 and Blacktron.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ambiguatron posted:

A Darkseid minifig would be the greatest thing.

DARKSEID IS four studs wide

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pyroclastic posted:

Pics of the prototype minifigs at SDCC have hit!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65451543@N04/5959378784/

I have four of those already, the only new one is Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

kensei posted:

I have four of those already, the only new one is Superman.

And Wonder Woman, and all the Marvel guys.

Not feelin' the gigantic Hulk, I have to say. Wolverine looks pretty good.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Travis343 posted:

And Wonder Woman, and all the Marvel guys.

Not feelin' the gigantic Hulk, I have to say. Wolverine looks pretty good.

Some other company with the rights previously, Megablocks maybe, made a better set of claws - he actually held them the right way, it was more convincing.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Phy posted:

DARKSEID IS four studs wide

He needs LEGO omega beams. Basically all the LEGO New Gods would be incredible. Metron please.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Saint Sputnik posted:

Some other company with the rights previously, Megablocks maybe, made a better set of claws - he actually held them the right way, it was more convincing.

It is just a prototype.
I bet if there's one thing that's gonna change between those and the final version, it'll be those claws.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I am a comic book nerd and a Lego nerd. My two worlds are colliding. This is going to be loving fantastic.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

What should I LEGO-ify first? Secret Wars, or Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Tighclops posted:

gently caress licensed sets forever, bring back Ice Planet 2002 and Blacktron.

Yes, this. I know Lego mints money with these licensed sets, but the Star Wars sets bore me, Indiana Jones was discontinued, and I'm not interested in any of these other properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Some more about the Marvel and DC partnerships here:
http://www.bricksdownunder.com/2011/07/lego%AE-super-heroes-make-a-splash/

and the official site:
http://www.legosuperheroes.com/