Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

josiahgould posted:

Just picked up my first decent radio, an Eton S350DL.

RadioShack had it on sale for $75, combined with a $10 off coupon someone left on top of it, got it for a nice $65.

I'm tempted to take the G6 I just picked up back and get a s350DL instead...

Who the gently caress am I kidding... I'll keep the G6 and get the s350DL too. :(

Radio Nowhere posted:

I wonder how something simple like a CB mag-mount would work? Alligator clip it to the whip antenna of the G6. Doubt you'll get any DX that way but strong signals might work.

Well, I have both a CB and a 2m/440 ham antenna in the trunk of the car and a PL-259 to 1/8" adapter for the G6. I will have to file a trip report soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BigHustle posted:

Well, I have both a CB and a 2m/440 ham antenna in the trunk of the car and a PL-259 to 1/8" adapter for the G6. I will have to file a trip report soon.

That would work, though the external antenna jack will desense the signal since it's designed for longwires.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Finally got a QSL card from Radio Havana, 4 months after they mailed it! God bless the Cuban embargo! :patriot:

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Well in a moment of weakness I ordered a Tecsun pl-660. It is a pretty drat nice radio for $110. It can pull stations that my KA1102 cannot. It has SSB, Air band and Synchronous detection. I cant wait for it to get dark tonight....

Anybody want a KA1102 for cheap in the bay area? It has ssb, but I would say average sensitivity.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Haven't really been able to do much listening for a while. Just popping in to say I've continued to find awesome stuff at the thrift store for super cheap.

$10:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Haven't really been able to do much listening for a while. Just popping in to say I've continued to find awesome stuff at the thrift store for super cheap.

$10:

Nice find. I shop thrift stores and garage sales all the time and the only shortwave radios I've found are a couple old analog ones from the 80s.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Dog Case posted:

$10:

Sweet sassy molassy! I think you should hook it up to a decent antenna and let us know what you manage to pick up with it.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
drat you, thread! I just ordered an ETON Satellite 750 to listen in on. My tech licensce expired last year, so I should probably look into getting a new one eventually so I can play with transmitters again.

Also, slinkies own.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Yea gad, the Eton FR-250 sucks at shortwave from my house with its little antenna. I can only pick up a lot of Russian chatter.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

comaerror posted:

drat you, thread! I just ordered an ETON Satellite 750 to listen in on. My tech licensce expired last year, so I should probably look into getting a new one eventually so I can play with transmitters again.
FYI there is a grace period after the license expires (two years IIRC) so you won't need to take the test again, just send in the paperwork to get it reactivated.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

The slinktenna is deployed!

I need to move it to a better location with less interference though. However, I'm picking up a Chinese station on 15160 kHz! :science:

edit: google says that's China Radio International at Jinhua-Youbu

edit 2: Holy gently caress, son! I can hear BBC al Seela in Oman! Good god drat, shortwave is awesome! Slinkies are awesome! (I'm in Alaska, for reference)

edit 3: Voice of Russia on 15425 kHz coming in loud and clear (not surprising)

cerror fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 27, 2011

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Any chance you can take a picture of that from further away? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
Sat down tonight and started listening with my wife and we stopped on 3220khz... We found Amerikan Expose. This man is simply amazing. It was our first broadcast that wasn't either BBC or Radio Havana. I just... wow...

Unfortunately, my radio started acting up on us about 15 minutes in, so we didn't get to hear everything he was saying.

"Did he just say the N-word?"
"Yes, honey, he's insane."

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Was listening to some what seemed to be live Rugby matches in Australia. I wrote down the frequency I was at but I don't have it right here now.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I heart bacon posted:

Any chance you can take a picture of that from further away? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Yea, here it is. Admittedly, this is a horrible location for it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ASSTASTIC posted:

Was listening to some what seemed to be live Rugby matches in Australia. I wrote down the frequency I was at but I don't have it right here now.
If it was in the middle of the night then it proably was 9850 or 9860; the former comes in booming into the Midwest almost every night.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

comaerror posted:

Yea, here it is. Admittedly, this is a horrible location for it.

Do the fluorescent lights mess with your reception at all? I'm setting up the man cave in our garage and like what you have going there. I'll have to give that a try.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

I heart bacon posted:

Do the fluorescent lights mess with your reception at all? I'm setting up the man cave in our garage and like what you have going there. I'll have to give that a try.

Not sure about the slinky antennas, but they REALLY do gently caress with the reception on a magnetic loop antenna. My garage area is surrounded by concrete/rebar and florescent lights. When I put my antenna outside, its night and day reception wise.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have no idea if this is the right place to post this question, but it seemed like the most suitable.

I am in the UK and looking to buy a radio transmitter of some sort. I have a few friends who are helping out with relief efforts in Northern Kenya in Somalia refugee camps and they would like to set up a small radio station for news and the like.

Anyone know where I can get started? I'm in London at the moment, but back to Kenya on Monday next week, so I have a very short amount of time to figure this out. I know just about nothing when it comes to this subject.

Thanks for the help.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

ASSTASTIC posted:

Not sure about the slinky antennas, but they REALLY do gently caress with the reception on a magnetic loop antenna. My garage area is surrounded by concrete/rebar and florescent lights. When I put my antenna outside, its night and day reception wise.

In my experience florescent lights will mess up the lower shortwave frequencies if in the same room as the antenna. Giving distance between the lights and the antenna will remedy this greatly.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

angor posted:

I am in the UK and looking to buy a radio transmitter of some sort. I have a few friends who are helping out with relief efforts in Northern Kenya in Somalia refugee camps and they would like to set up a small radio station for news and the like.

Anyone know where I can get started? I'm in London at the moment, but back to Kenya on Monday next week, so I have a very short amount of time to figure this out. I know just about nothing when it comes to this subject.

AM or FM transmitters can be bought on internet auction sites. Some amateur equipment can also transmit AM or Wide-FM, but might need to be modified to work in the broadcast band. Broadcast companies might also have some laying around to donate. Just make sure you have a transmission license from your host government.
By the way, have you looked into renting air time from other broadcasters?

Vir fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 1, 2011

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

angor posted:

I have no idea if this is the right place to post this question, but it seemed like the most suitable.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to check out https://www.ramseyelectronics.com, they have some equipment. No idea if the prices are very good, but they have a pretty decent site set up. Check under "Hobby Kits" for the cheaper ones, "Broadcast FM" if you've got cash to spend.

In other news, seems my nice new radio has crapped out on me. No manner of reset can fix it, and the tuning knob seems loose. FM works great, but SW and MW jump around and won't lock on to any frequency. Luckily, I had no problem getting an RMA number from Eton, so it gets shipped out for repair this Friday.

josiahgould fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 2, 2011

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

josiahgould posted:

In other news, seems my nice new radio has crapped out on me. No manner of reset can fix it, and the tuning knob seems loose.

Just curious, what model?

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

ASSTASTIC posted:

Just curious, what model?

Eton/Grundig SL350DL

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

josiahgould posted:

You might want to check out https://www.ramseyelectronics.com, they have some equipment. No idea if the prices are very good, but they have a pretty decent site set up. Check under "Hobby Kits" for the cheaper ones, "Broadcast FM" if you've got cash to spend.

In other news, seems my nice new radio has crapped out on me. No manner of reset can fix it, and the tuning knob seems loose. FM works great, but SW and MW jump around and won't lock on to any frequency. Luckily, I had no problem getting an RMA number from Eton, so it gets shipped out for repair this Friday.

Ramsey Electronics is top notch. I've built a few AM transmitter kits from there, among other things, and it's always high quality.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My neighbor has MASSIVE antennae array in his backyard. I'm talking MASSIVE. He does ham radio. Anyways, does the fact that he has such a large antennae array improve or hurt my chances of getting good reception?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

spaceship posted:

My neighbor has MASSIVE antennae array in his backyard. I'm talking MASSIVE. He does ham radio. Anyways, does the fact that he has such a large antennae array improve or hurt my chances of getting good reception?

Having known some hams, you could just ask him. He'll be more than happy to tell you all about it.

You might have some trouble leaving his house though.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

spaceship posted:

His antennas shouldn't affect your reception unless he has a massive structure blocking the direction you're receiving from.

You may get interference when he's transmitting, depending on the frequency and power levels he's using and how well his antenna farm is constructed. If you get interference, go talk to him. He may be willing to help you out with filters or at the very least work out a schedule with you so you can DX without interference.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
For anyone wanting to follow the hurricane Irene action the Hurricane Watch Net is up on 14325 USB, night frequency is 7268 LSB. Or if you're internet savy streaming here.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Man, I wish I was at home when the Irene stuff was going down. This makes me even more disappointed I didn't take my G6 when I went camping :(

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 30, 2011

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Yep. Radio New Zealand International is going on about 9/11. Thankfully, I caught the tail end of it.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
Little over a month, and I finally got my radio back. Actually, I got a brand new radio from them. I'm not complaining.

*Edit*
drat... My wife goes and gets me all excited, and it's NOT my SW radio, it's some FM thing I won in a contest. Oh well, I guess I'll just email them again and see what's up with it...

*Edit2*
It DID arrive Monday morning. According to UPS. But, I didn't get it. The plot thickens...

josiahgould fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 22, 2011

lupus__x
Apr 19, 2004
Bought a Grundig G3 off Amazon for about 88 bucks. It came, I unpacked it, I'm in love with SWL. Still picking up a lot of the vocab, but it's been fun so far.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Saw this, thought of this thread.

Actually, that probably needs to be in the OP ;)

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Wired magazine did this article following up on last summer's shortwave rage, UVB-76 The Buzzer!

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/09/ff_uvb76/all/1

If you're ever looking for a nice sound to lul you to sleep the webfeed is still available here.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 30, 2011

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
Went to GoodWill today and snagged a Lafayette HA-600A. Early 70's model AM/SW/CW receiver. Weighs a ton, but it works! Except I think the S-Meter is broken, it doesn't move even when I lock onto the local AM station. Apparently I can also hook up a paddle to it and actually transmit CW.

Oh, and my Eton S350DL showed up yesterday morning, so all is well on that front.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I recently moved into another room in the house with a standard window so I could make a pass-through for antennas. Getting away from the fluorescent lighting in the other room made more of a difference than I expected. Using the whip I can pick up Radio Habana Cuba loud and clear on 6050 while in the basement about 4 feet from the window. I can't wait to get my discone up in the air so I can use the mast to re-hang the multi-band dipole again.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Shortwave in the news, Russian spies caught in Germany listening to their shortwave early in the AM;

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,793707,00.html

Also for any fans of WBCQ's eclectic/freeform/pirate programming on weekend evenings the station was booted from their longtime home of 7415 KHz and is now on 7490 KHz. Apparently the civil air patrol is now using 7416 KHz and since WBCQ was operating "out of band" CAP got priority.

Last thing so this thread doesn't die and this post worthwhile is that Tecsun has 4 new radios coming out this month. For anyone who's into the old rear endlatest shortwave technology Herculodge is one of the better blogs to follow;

http://herculodge.typepad.com/herculodge/

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 26, 2011

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I'm finally going to get my amateur ham license soon. Should be easy since the book is basically the test, and if I learned anything in high school, it's how to take a test.

I also in the past couple months set up a crazy amount of new WinRadio based hardware and hooked it up to an old antenna we had at my office. We used to use it for radio dispatch, and it's got to be at least 35' tall. It will pick up all kinds of stuff, a lot of things I'm not even sure how a huge pole in the air with a couple tiny antennas should pick up. I need to invest in a sizable dipole or something to stick at the top, and I'm not sure what exactly I should use.

This is easily the highest private antenna in my part of town, and I want to soak up some good waves with my privelidge.

Oh and I picked up the WR-G31DDC Excalibur for shortwave, and the WR-G305 for scanning. Both have been hobby-changing for me. There is no better general purpose software defined radio than the Excalibur. The software is beautiful and powerful. I know the cherry on the cake will be a new antenna up on that pole though.

comaerror posted:

Yep. Radio New Zealand International is going on about 9/11. Thankfully, I caught the tail end of it.

That is a fantastic radio. Grundig doesn't make the Satellit Millennium Edition anymore, so if mine ever went, that's probably what I'd get. I've spent countless hours on mine when I didn't want to get on the computer.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Decent shortwave content alert;

A shortwave station out of Tennessee, WTWW, will be testing their 3rd transmitter this evening between 6-10 PM EST on 5085 KHz. In the past the host will usually play rock/oldies music, discuss radio topics and take on-air phone calls. QSL's are a given.

• Locked thread