Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

amishsexpot posted:

Yes. And I ALMOST didn't go. But then the suicidal, hysterical phone calls from my parents came in every day. And angry messages from my brother saying I was killing my parents. And they brainwashed me into temporarily thinking I'd be a special unique Korean snowflake who'll either be a lawyer or marry one.

Hey, I did make some awesome friends during 1L. That's a plus... FML.

oh but still I told you so

I told you so and Petey even linked you an essay I wrote specifically about your situation and you gave zero gently caress

anyway come to Parsons, it's much like law school in that 1) you can do it just for yours parents approval 2) it'll waste all your money and 3) you'll leave with a worthless degree

so far those seem to be your goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Elotana posted:

Not only did we tell you not to go to law school but we probably could've written this post for you in advance.

Here, let me write next year's to save you some time: "Well, I thought about dropping out, but then my parents started yelling at me about being a quitter and I had a lot of sunk costs and I really thought that I could turn things around 2L year and my position as Peon Editor of the Bullshit Not-Law-Review Journal would score me some more interviews than it did. Now I'm frantically drinking myself into a stupor with other 3Ls while attending one class a month and hoping the loan companies somehow forget me in the shuffle when my grace period runs out. drat, I should've listened to the Internet."

Pretty much spot on. I'm afraid that if I drop everything and just go with what I want to do, I'll be posting in here with a bullshit Associate's degree in design, unemployed, almost 30 years old, wondering if I should have stayed on. But I guess that's not a good reason to not even try, right?

Edit:

atlas of bugs posted:

oh but still I told you so

I told you so and Petey even linked you an essay I wrote specifically about your situation and you gave zero gently caress

anyway come to Parsons, it's much like law school in that 1) you can do it just for yours parents approval 2) it'll waste all your money and 3) you'll leave with a worthless degree

so far those seem to be your goals

What?? I didn't see this essay (I don't think). I didn't check the Law thread in a long time because there were like hundreds of posts and it was too depressing.

I PM'ed you before I saw your latest posts - what is this Parsons thing you're doing???

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Holland Oats posted:

What makes someone extremely homeless as opposed to just homeless?

I actually thought about that modifier before I wrote it because I know this is a thread full of law students who like to do exactly that sort of dumb nitpicky stuff, and the reason I used it is to distinguish between the type of homeless who is "staying with a friend" vs. "living in an old car behind Wal-Mart" vs "on a cot at the shelter" vs. "in the grass behind CVS" -- all scenarios in one would lack a home, but with a gradient of difficulty and despair that most middle class folks probably wuldn't pick up on without an additional modifier, as seemingly incongruent as it might appear (or be, semantically).

Take it to mean "distance from the comfort of a home."

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

amishsexpot posted:

I'd be a special unique Korean snowflake who'll either be a lawyer or marry one.

Paging Aghannor. Law Thread paging Aghannor. Aghannor, please come to the Law Thread.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Elotana posted:

Not only did we tell you not to go to law school but we probably could've written this post for you in advance.

Here, let me write next year's to save you some time: "Well, I thought about dropping out, but then my parents started yelling at me about being a quitter and I had a lot of sunk costs and I really thought that I could turn things around 2L year and my position as Peon Editor of the Bullshit Not-Law-Review Journal would score me some more interviews than it did. Now I'm frantically drinking myself into a stupor with other 3Ls while attending one class a month and hoping the loan companies somehow forget me in the shuffle when my grace period runs out. drat, I should've listened to the Internet."

"I talked to my parents and also the financial aid office, and they are willing to extend my stafford/gradplus loans so I can dual JD/MBA, which I think is going to go a long way toward getting a leg up on all the JDs out there. Definitely gonna help when those Biglaw interviews roll around."

quote:

What?? I didn't see this essay (I don't think). I didn't check the Law thread in a long time because there were like hundreds of posts and it was too depressing.

I PM'ed you before I saw your latest posts - what is this Parsons thing you're doing???

Parsons the New College of Law

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

atlas of bugs posted:

Parsons the New College of Law

what

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I think he means this. And it's in your city.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

nm posted:

Then they ask what I "race." The answer is Subaru station wagon. gently caress.

You're such a stereotype. I drive a Celica, which just makes me a ricer. I wish I were cool enough to be a stereotype. I'm pretty sure I sigh every time I admit what I "race".

And, amishsexpot, horray for Asian parental guilt! I think dropping out of law school before 2L would bring on a bigger guilt trip than not going to law school in the first place. Rather than being a rebel, you'd be a failure, a Korean failure. Moral of the story, you shouldn't have gone to law school.

I was feeling rather ballsy a few weeks ago when someone asked me why I went to law school. I said it was because my mother told me to. He looked at me and said "That makes sense. Asian mothers are scary."

At the end of the day, I know you won't quit law school. You may dream about it and make other plans, but you won't quit. Sorry for the depressed insight.

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 20, 2011

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

amishsexpot posted:

Pretty much spot on. I'm afraid that if I drop everything and just go with what I want to do, I'll be posting in here with a bullshit Associate's degree in design, unemployed, almost 30 years old, wondering if I should have stayed on. But I guess that's not a good reason to not even try, right?

Consider the alternative: Bullshit JD, unemployed, almost 30 years old, AND SIX FIGURES OF ADDITIONAL DEBT.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

NJ Deac posted:

Consider the alternative: Bullshit JD, unemployed, almost 30 years old, AND SIX FIGURES OF ADDITIONAL DEBT.

Just imagine how much her mom is going to freak out when she can't find a husband.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Thanks for the responses on listing interests on a resume. I'm going to find a way to describe what I do in a less-boring way and prepare a few related anecdotes beforehand. It sounds like at worst interviewers will be indifferent.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I wrote about doing my section's T-shirt and beer label in my Interests section, and ended up talking about it in literally every one of 24 screening interviews during OCI

of course I didn't get any callbacks so make of that what you will

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If you are hired by your firm as an attorney after you graduate they'll probably cut your salary from $45/hour to $15/hour, except you won't be paid by the hour and you'll be working 15 hours a day.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

diospadre posted:

If you are hired by your firm as an attorney after you graduate they'll probably cut your salary from $45/hour to $15/hour, except you won't be paid by the hour and you'll be working 15 hours a day.

how dare you put a price on a mother's approval

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

NJ Deac posted:

*raises paw*

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Dargon Drama posted:

Although his firm no longer exists, nine of Dargon's former employees are named in Judge's order and could also be liable for the fines. "If there is no firm, we're going to chase the individuals," Richard Arcand, a spokesman for the Banking Department, said yesterday.

Oh no! They are going to levy and execute on Don Rader's beard!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Red Bean Juice posted:

I wrote about doing my section's T-shirt and beer label in my Interests section, and ended up talking about it in literally every one of 24 screening interviews during OCI

of course I didn't get any callbacks so make of that what you will

Remind me real quick--you're a 2L or 3L at Harvard, right? When was this exactly?

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Whoever would have thought Remedial would wind up in hot water for ethics :o

e: someone post remedialwedding.mp3 so I can do something with this three point five inches of blue steel I'm sprouting right now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Carooe posted:

e: someone post remedialwedding.mp3 so I can do something with this three point five inches of blue steel I'm sprouting right now

http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?4149-Story-time-with-The-Mittani-%28from-SA.com%29 (midway down the page)

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
Thanks friend

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I convinced my friend not to quit her job and go to law school.

One day an old man was walking along the beach. It was low tide, and the sand was littered with thousands of stranded starfish that the water had carried in and then left behind. The man began walking very carefully so as not to step on any of the beautiful creatures. Since the animals still seemed to be alive, he considered picking some of them up and putting them back in the water, where they could resume their lives.

The man knew the starfish would die if left on the beach's dry sand but he reasoned that he could not possibly help them all, so he chose to do nothing and continued walking.

Soon afterward, the man came upon a small child on the beach who was frantically throwing one starfish after another back into the sea. The old man stopped and asked the child, "What are you doing?"

"I'm saving the starfish," the child replied.

"Why waste your time?... There are so many you can't save them all so what does is matter?" argued the man.

Without hesitation, the child picked up another starfish and tossed the starfish back into the water... "It matters to this one," the child explained.

:smug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have to admit I lurk this thread for entertainment, but I ran across this job today, and holy poo poo tell me it's not that bad out there

If anyone's interested in being a public defender in Buttfuck Nowhere, Kansas go for it.

http://www.da.ks.gov/ps/pub/reqinfo.asp?id=168971

Position is based in Garden City, KS and lists at 46K. It can't be that bad out there for you guys can it?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Remind me real quick--you're a 2L or 3L at Harvard, right? When was this exactly?

I'm a 3L now, so this was during Fall 2010 OCI.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

skipdogg posted:

Position is based in Garden City, KS and lists at 46K. It can't be that bad out there for you guys can it?

Uh considering that job is in Kansas, it's not bad. The Philly City Solicitor's Office pays a couple thousand more.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

HooKars posted:

Uh considering that job is in Kansas, it's not bad. The Philly City Solicitor's Office pays a couple thousand more.
Yeah, that's actually pretty decent for that type of work.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 21, 2011

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Red Bean Juice posted:

I'm a 3L now, so this was during Fall 2010 OCI.

Good grief, zero callbacks?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

skipdogg posted:

I have to admit I lurk this thread for entertainment, but I ran across this job today, and holy poo poo tell me it's not that bad out there

If anyone's interested in being a public defender in Buttfuck Nowhere, Kansas go for it.

http://www.da.ks.gov/ps/pub/reqinfo.asp?id=168971

I'm from Kansas. 46k with Garden City's COL will do pretty well. Actually, if anyone really can't find a job, I advise you to go out to western Kansas. You'll have no problem finding a local county attorney job and will likely wind up county DA (possibly for several counties since many can't even afford having their own individual DA) within 5 years.

Work's light, your money goes far relative to cost of living, and you get to basically be a cowboy. Not a bad gig if you can handle not being near a major airport or city; they got Wal-Marts though.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

amishsexpot posted:

Should've PM'd me back however long ago that was :mad:

I'm literally leaving the country in two weeks rather than go back into law, if that tells you anything

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

amishsexpot posted:

In this month or so before 2L starts, I'm really strongly considering dropping out and going to school for graphic and fashion design. Sure, I'd be going into an industry that isn't really hiring either and often doesn't have benefits, but... law school is so loving expensive and dumb. I did the whole OCI early interview week bidding thing but my GPA sucks and I hate everything. If I had actually had the balls to figure out an escape plan and applied for graphic design programs, I'd literally drop out right now.
One of my friends is a senior graphic designer at a well regarded design shop here in NYC. He's literally had design students offer to sleep with him for a job. He's not a sleazy douche so he has never taken up such an offer but design jobs aren't exactly plentiful either. I'm not saying you should stay in law school but not so sold on this design school thing either.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 21, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Carooe posted:

best part

"If I was the heartless capitalist, I could have taken the money and run," he said.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You should drop out of school, continue working at your current firm because you have a ridiculously good income for a young person that you can't possibly hope to match after you graduate law school, and keep your eyes open for better opportunities/slowly work towards getting to where you want to be.

Your goal in life should be to maximize happiness, too many people don't realize that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
But...maximizing income is simpler. Go to law school, graduate in top 10%, and you're set.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I mean I'm kind of a go getter so I'll be shooting for a fashion law position with a big firm, but even if that doesn't pan out I can always fall back on the corporate stuff. Sellout lol!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder, at about what point does the average law student realize that they have no chance of practicing international panda rights law and start down the road to despair and alcoholism?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

diospadre posted:

You should drop out of school, continue working at your current firm because you have a ridiculously good income for a young person that you can't possibly hope to match after you graduate law school, and keep your eyes open for better opportunities/slowly work towards getting to where you want to be.

Your goal in life should be to maximize happiness, too many people don't realize that.

Yeah, stay a summer associate forever! Why don't more people do it? It seems to be everybody's favorite job.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Konstantin posted:

I have to wonder, at about what point does the average law student realize that they have no chance of practicing international panda rights law and start down the road to despair and alcoholism?

For the 90% of people who just said that because it sounded vaguely cool, it happens invisibly around 1L November when they panic about grades and get into the 'just get a B, just get a job' mentality.

For the 10% who did Amnesty International in High School and actually know where The Hague is, it tapers off extremely slowly, like that dream of writing a novel after you've had a kid.

I was on a cruise last week, and at bar trivia one of the questions was "where is the location of the International Criminal Court?"

I thought it was Brussels. :smugdog:

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Konstantin posted:

A girl in my 1L class, the incoming president of the Human Rights Club, is in Africa this summer doing international human rights panda stuff, and loves it. She's already looking for something similar for next summer. So I guess the answer, in her case at least, isn't "1L summer" or "When everyone else is doing OCI"

I'm actually rooting that she's the one in a million that it works out for. :unsmith:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Can we please get this thread back on track about how much studying for the bar sucks?

Thanks in advance!

Yours in Christ,
Mudd

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Compared to failing the bar, studying is peachy! I wouldn't know anything about failing though and I'm sure neither will you! :)

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

Mosco
Bar roll number 69420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The forward-thinking career path structure of law school is so ridiculous. I'm a rising 2L, and in less than a month I'll be doing my early interview week hoping to pin down a summer offer for next year... who I hope will offer me a job after graduation... where I will probably work for at least a few years... no pressure, right?