Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put some rim tape on... don't have a front stand so I had to do that wheel by lying on the ground and bending my hands around the rim. It looks alright. Rim tape is a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Got tired of rolling the bike back and forth while cleaning and lubing the chain. Locked the forks, zip-tied the brake lever, and tipped the bike onto its kickstand to lift the rear wheel off the ground. It worked, but I think it's time to give up and buy a rear stand. Anyone here have a t-rex stand, or should I spend the money on a pit bull?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I bought a pit bull but honestly wish I just got something like half the price. I personally barely ever used the stand. Chain cleanings every few weeks and the rare rear tire replacement.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

I moved from A to B at opposite sides of the city center recently. A and B are equally distant from C, my workplace, which is in the middle. The first day I walked to work we were called in to a meeting. "Guys, we need a bigger and better place, we're moving to point A".

Methinks BAGELBEABS* is luring you into a trap. :ohdear:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Today I:
Lubed my chain, throttle, choke, and clutch cables
Installed a new fuel filter (Or rather, put one on. The bike's PO mysteriously took the stock one off..)

The Ninjette is almost back up to speed after sitting for so long in that guy's garage. I also just realized that I never posted a picture of it in WDIWT, but it looks like any old 250. For now, at least :haw:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a T-Rex rear stand. Bought it off eBay for something like 65 bucks direct from them iirc. Seems solid enough to me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Not a motogadget ho in the least, but $50 for real time battery health data is smart money with a bike of this era. More important than the fuel gauge, since that info can at least be derived with some level of accuracy, and hitting reserve is a pretty effective early warning system.

This is the Argus Battery Bug, and it has a bit more smarts than the typical stick-on voltmeter. Rather than regurgitate the feature set, here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/3fhqtb4

Nice to have a "reserve" so you can at least aim the bike toward friendly territory and avoid Merle the tow service guy. We'll see how it goes.

Also: NOW WITH 44% MORE GRATUITOUS LENS FLARE

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Not a motogadget ho in the least, but $50 for real time battery health data is smart money with a bike of this era. More important than the fuel gauge, since that info can at least be derived with some level of accuracy, and hitting reserve is a pretty effective early warning system.

This is the Argus Battery Bug, and it has a bit more smarts than the typical stick-on voltmeter. Rather than regurgitate the feature set, here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/3fhqtb4

Nice to have a "reserve" so you can at least aim the bike toward friendly territory and avoid Merle the tow service guy. We'll see how it goes.

Also: NOW WITH 44% MORE GRATUITOUS LENS FLARE

Has that thing stranded you due to battery problems since you did replaced the whole charging system? If not, you have now proven that you are more paranoid then even me!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Loucks posted:

Got tired of rolling the bike back and forth while cleaning and lubing the chain. Locked the forks, zip-tied the brake lever, and tipped the bike onto its kickstand to lift the rear wheel off the ground. It worked, but I think it's time to give up and buy a rear stand. Anyone here have a t-rex stand, or should I spend the money on a pit bull?

Just buy em used. I got both front and rear pit bulls off craigslist for iirc $100 and there are about a dozen on there right now for the same price.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

Has that thing stranded you due to battery problems since you did replaced the whole charging system? If not, you have now proven that you are more paranoid then even me!

No, but if you've ever been riding through the woods late at night and had a sword-wielding psycho in a motorcycle helmet jump out at you, it's worthwhile. He preys on stranded bikers and steals their souls.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I now think it pertinent to invest in some early warning system for ninjas and sword-wielding motorcycle helmet assassins.

Team Marv.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Loucks posted:

I bought the $50 Harbour Freight model, and it works perfectly.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
I finally took the heads off the '93 900SS to get the valve guides replaced since I'm coming up on 30k miles and it's started to smoke on overrun. The horizontal piston seems to have loved the nikasil plating so much it wore all the way through! Compression was still good but I guess it was just a matter of time. I did notice a few abnormal flakes stuck to the magnet and screen that are new since the last service, so it must have just happened.

In other good news, once the cylinders were off I was able to inspect the crank oil galley plug that's known to back off on early Ducatis, and it was totally loose. Looks like i get to split the cases and loctite/stake the plug back where it belongs.

Assuming nothing new appears when the cases are split it's time to punch out to 944cc, add high comp pistons, and put the 41mm FCRs on that have been kicking around my parts closet for a few months waiting for the head work. I'm also going from stock gearing to 15/37 since my chain/sprockets are shot (with almost 20k miles on them) so this thing should really wake up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

orthod0ks posted:

I bought the $50 Harbour Freight model, and it works perfectly.

Do you have a link for this one? For whatever reason, my search didn't turn up one.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Hughmoris posted:

Do you have a link for this one? For whatever reason, my search didn't turn up one.

Just key in "motorcycle" and it'll show all their moto-related products, and OMG did they expand their offerings since I was there last. The cleaning stand is actually $29 now, if we're talking about the same thing. If you have a store nearby, those are typically in stock.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Loucks posted:

If you're only lifting the back enough to roll the wheel I wouldn't bother locking the forks or brakes (unless you're on a slope). Worst case the bike falls the few mm back onto the wheel.

I use one of these in spreader configuration when I do the chain/wheel on the KTM. I've even done it on my friends big heavy pig of a Harley. Super quick, super easy, has multiple uses apart from this and it's much smaller than a rear stand.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
That's an awesome idea and I never thought to use those as a spreader.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

hayden. posted:

That's an awesome idea and I never thought to use those as a spreader.

I've got a bunch of those and I've even used them as spreaders before, but I never thought of using them to lift my bike :aaa:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

I use one of these in spreader configuration when I do the chain/wheel on the KTM. I've even done it on my friends big heavy pig of a Harley. Super quick, super easy, has multiple uses apart from this and it's much smaller than a rear stand.

Genius, I've got a bunch of those in varying sizes. Never knew you could use them as a spreader and never imagined lifting a bike with one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I managed to get loving paint in the gas tank.

I was stripping the goldwing tank and somehow the aircraft remover got in there and dragged some paint in with it.

getting it out is going to be a loving HOOT!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Hughmoris posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I managed to get loving paint in the gas tank.

I was stripping the goldwing tank and somehow the aircraft remover got in there and dragged some paint in with it.

getting it out is going to be a loving HOOT!

Fill it with water, pull it out with a wet/dry vac.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Fill it with water, pull it out with a wet/dry vac.

well I would... but I didn't see it before I etched everything so the paint has kind of transplanted itself onto the bottom of the inside of the tank as well as in the fuel lines

I'm gonna sodablast the everliving gently caress out of that spot then swirl around the remaining soda with some mineral spirits followed by a good phosporic acid rinse.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

well I would... but I didn't see it before I etched everything so the paint has kind of transplanted itself onto the bottom of the inside of the tank as well as in the fuel lines

I'm gonna sodablast the everliving gently caress out of that spot then swirl around the remaining soda with some mineral spirits followed by a good phosporic acid rinse.

Oh, lovely. I thought you just had flakes of poo poo floating around in there.

My ride today:

Now how the gently caress did that happen...

Oh yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQqe9tCUQs
:downs:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bit more original than the burnout to kill a shot tire.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bit more original than the burnout to kill a shot tire.

The tire wasn't shot until, uh, about 1k miles later. Whoops. Now I should go and see how many places I can cord it in though by locking the rear. At least until it pops :v:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Ordered a pair of SpeedBleeders to help with my bleeding my K5 SV's front brakes. Looking forward to making the annoying job much more fun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the walkin dude posted:

Ordered a pair of SpeedBleeders to help with my bleeding my K5 SV's front brakes. Looking forward to making the annoying job much more fun.

probably one of the greatest inventions ever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Does anyone else just put a piece of clear hosing, like an aquarium air line or something, on the brake nub to bleed that way? It's pretty simple and about 10x cheaper...

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Those things prevent air from going back into the bleed-hole. And they make the job much more faster, from what I read.

Last night I worked for 45 minutes in an attempt to bleed from one caliper. No progress. gently caress that.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the walkin dude posted:

Those things prevent air from going back into the bleed-hole. And they make the job much more faster, from what I read.

Last night I worked for 45 minutes in an attempt to bleed from one caliper. No progress. gently caress that.

I use this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

Took me about half an hour to do all the brake lines.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

kylej posted:

I use this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

Took me about half an hour to do all the brake lines.

+1 for this. I actually enjoy bleeding brakes in bikes and cars since I got one of these.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

That's what I use the clear tube for. Clear tube on the breather hole, straight up a few feet (or pushed awkwardly somewhere into the frame if I forgot to grab a rubber band or something). Put fluid in reservoir, squeeze brake/depress brake pedal, air bleeds into the tube and rises, leaving only fluid near the bleed nipple. Tighten, done. Never taken more than 10 minutes per wheel, usually less.

Or am I doing it wrong? Honestly want to know. :confused:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

That's what I use the clear tube for. Clear tube on the breather hole, straight up a few feet (or pushed awkwardly somewhere into the frame if I forgot to grab a rubber band or something). Put fluid in reservoir, squeeze brake/depress brake pedal, air bleeds into the tube and rises, leaving only fluid near the bleed nipple. Tighten, done. Never taken more than 10 minutes per wheel, usually less.

Nah, that way is fine. The speed bleeders mean you don't need to crack and uncrack the bleeder each time.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Geirskogul posted:

Every time I've bled anything, I put a tiny bit of pressure on the system, crack the nut, apply pressure as air foams out, then tighten the nut. No hoses, just a towel to catch fluid. I bled a clutch after replacing master, slave, and the line in < 10 minutes.

I also bled a hydraulic knockout set that way today in about 10 minutes, and that thing had its slave cylinder full of air from a busted seal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Nah, that way is fine. The speed bleeders mean you don't need to crack and uncrack the bleeder each time.

They're just check valves. It's a really good idea, though - how much do they cost compared to a standard set of bleed valves?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Haha oh god so my folks are from Vietnam and my dad's basically loved motorcycles like Harleys forever but hes never owned one in the States so I let him ride the GS500, zx636, and my BMW today, he actually liked the GS500 the best because it was easy to ride, fun, and he liked the riding position over the sportbikes and he liked it over the heavier BMW.

No drops! I didn't let him ride the gsx-r 1k though oh hell no! Hes a decent rider i'm just worried because it's been a while, hes been back to Vietnam a lot and always rents a bike over there, but those are ~150cc bikes and even the GS500 is a significant bump in power and weight.

Hes taking the DMV riding test next week I think, hes got his permit, i'm all for him getting his license, i've tried talking him into taking the MSF but time and his relative stubborness get in the way. It's tough for him to get sat + sun off and a Thursday.

It'll be cool if he gets his license overall, he wants his friend's Harley Sportster 1200 I think, he doesn't mind that I just bought the gsx-r 1k, heck i'd probably let him have the GS500 which would give me room for a replacement :).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sounds pretty cool man. For his bit of stubbornness, maybe try to explain that people drive differently here, and that the class helps teach you to prepare for the hazards of driving on the street here. Not only that, but it helps on insurance and getting your license, and it's just a refresher course. In my class there were 2 guys who hadn't ridden in a while and were getting back into it.

Also in this area, different places have different days for classes. Of course most do Sat/Sun, but there are some with Wed, Thurs, or Fri classes.

Glad you got him riding over here :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

Does anyone else just put a piece of clear hosing, like an aquarium air line or something, on the brake nub to bleed that way? It's pretty simple and about 10x cheaper...

Yeah I usually use a piece a little over 2m and loop it up over the handlebars and back down into a recepticle. As fluid is relatively cheap I usually just flush the whole lot, clear tubing means you can easily see when it's coming out bright and clear. Works great for me but I only have a single caliper front and rear, it's a pretty easy system to bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah I usually use a piece a little over 2m and loop it up over the handlebars and back down into a recepticle. As fluid is relatively cheap I usually just flush the whole lot, clear tubing means you can easily see when it's coming out bright and clear. Works great for me but I only have a single caliper front and rear, it's a pretty easy system to bleed.

Protip: in aquarium shops, you can get the clear tubing AND little T and X fittings for them in the perfect size for brake bleeding, so on multi-caliper setups that have individual nipples, you hook up one 2-foot piece of tubing to each, then connect them together for one main bleed hose. It looks a bit wonky, but you can then just pinch or clothespin the individual hoses for whichever area you want pressure out of. Plus, it's cheap enough you just make one for each setup and throw it in a bag or something when you're done.

I do like your idea for complete flushing - I haven't ever done a full flush on any vehicle myself, but seems pretty okay with that setup.