Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Sure there were haymakers and you had your chin up at times and whatever - but still pretty superb for someone who just got into catapulting a fist at someone. I have never seen someone that quick after 2 months of doing either boxing or gay french kickboxing. Playing football and stuff probably helped apart from being just athletic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I watched a lot of boxing growing up. Plus you can see lots of glaring holes in my punches and defense. Like I said I had been fairly athletic before I got into boxing. I played football and fenced all four years of high school plus a bit of wrestling(up until I experienced my first oil-check and got really mad).

Beginner question: Do oil checks happen in BJJ as well?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ignant poo poo

lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

No they shouldn't just because BJJ players are better human beings than wrestlers. Besides that gi pants pretty much prevent them being that they're thick material.

Ligur posted:

Sure there were haymakers and you had your chin up at times and whatever - but still pretty superb for someone who just got into catapulting a fist at someone. I have never seen someone that quick after 2 months of doing either boxing or gay french kickboxing. Playing football and stuff probably helped apart from being just athletic.

Haha thanks. The fencing probably helped a lot with my speed, timing and judging of distance. It's really an excellent sport to compliment your striking at least at first.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Also someone might appear and proclaim "Hah! So you guys think that is a high level of martial-artism, u guys in this thrd r stupid fools"

However to such person I say beforehand, it was just geeks with no training punching with someone with only apparently 2 months of boxing. When you put it into that perspective it's a different thing. I'm sure KidDynamite himself if cloned or someone else with say even 6-12 months of serious boxing sparring would have made things look a bit different.

edit: fencing you say? Well that's a really good way to get your distancing and timing right, which, when you accept that speed is what it is, are probably as or more important in any shoveling or catapulting match

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well you always look much better than you are when fighting people significantly worse than yourself, so i wouldn't get too carried away.

he does cover up very nicely for a beginner

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=640237012749
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=640236359059

Let me know if you guys can see that. It should put things way more in perspective. That's my coach he's a pro. His father is the one telling us we suck.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Sorry, privacy settings prohibited.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Stabbing Spork posted:

Sadly, gi pants are too baggy for that to be really viable. Fortunately, our sport is still gay in a thousand other ways.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
And moves that cause men unease. I've yet to figure out how to grapple with a girl nor a woman without either doing something... inappropriate. If not otherwise then by accident.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

Sorry, privacy settings prohibited.

Should be fixed now.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
That was some time ago right? But often times you are still going forward and throwing these 3 strike combinations not worrying about it too much, good mentality IMO. Getting tagged along the way but that's how you learn, doing better than I think I would etc. It would be fun to see you go now. edit: really really would not put an untrained goon, nerd or semi-beginner boxer in there, with that guy, wearing grappling gloves

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 20, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

That was some time ago right? But often times you are still going forward and throwing these 3 strike combinations not worrying about it too much, good mentality IMO. Getting tagged along the way but that's how you learn, doing better than I think I would etc. It would be fun to see you go now. edit: really really would not put an untrained goon, nerd or semi-beginner boxer in there, with that guy, wearing grappling gloves

Yeah that was probably a month after the goon fights. Sadly right now there's no boxing going on at all. Tore the labrums in both my shoulders.... Just training my core and legs everyday. I was getting really good according to my friends in the gym. So much so my coach approached me about getting a fight in before the Diamond Gloves tournament in October. Sucks but we move on a keep training.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
How much does the headgear actually protect your head in striking sports? I've gotten involved in grappling mostly out of love for my brain and under the assumption that getting hit with padding is still bad for your brain. Does anyone have any anecdotal or even statistical evidence about the effects of sparring with headgear?

Edit: someone should write a kickboxing/boxing faq for the OP

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 20, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

Sucks but we move on a keep training.

IIRC you have mentioned doing fencing before, or at least fencing being good for distancing and stuff, but haven't you also practiced TMA's like TKD once upon a time (and grappling like BJJ in the past if not currently)?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

IIRC you have mentioned doing fencing before, or at least fencing being good for distancing and stuff, but haven't you also practiced TMA's like TKD once upon a time (and grappling like BJJ in the past if not currently)?

Yeah I have bs TKD black-belt I got when I was 9 and I did BJJ for a month and a hlaf I got my first stripe but I started to dislike the instructor more and more. I would like to train more BJJ in NYC(Marcelo's!) but that train commute is just a killer to me. The fencing was 4 years of high school in epee. I was the captain :3:!

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm trying to work in more cardio as I edge closer to September, are there any good fight-specific drills you guys do in the pool? Swimming works, too. But I suck at swimming.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
now those facebook videos are fuckin impressive dude

i started out training with guys of that caliber as well and even after 3 months i was still tensing up to the point where i'd only have stamina for 90 seconds and wouldn't throw a 3 punch combo the entire time because i was too worried about protecting myself.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

JimmyCaladro posted:

I live in Utrecht. Rhaka, what do you do and where do you do it? Sounds fun to punch each other in the face.

I uh, train historical fencing at Zwaard & Steen over in Nieuwegein. Did about a month's worth of Judo and Muay Thai at De Voltreffer before having to stop exercising for approximately 2 months. Probably not gonna go back there for the Judo, was pushing over 16 year old brown belts 3/4 of the classes. The Muay Thai seemed pretty on the level, though. Only did 3 classes but they definitely worked up a sweat, and there weren't too many people there, so got a good bunch of personal attention.

I'm currenly working on getting a conditioning routine in order, and if I stick to train in Utrecht, will probably be hitting up BJJ after the summer at Jiu Jitsu Factory, because my one class there was excellent. Shame it's somewhat expensive though, pretty much means I won't be able to do striking alongside BJJ, if I want to keep up my fencing.

Can I ask what MT/Krav schools you've gone to? I was thoroughly unimpressed by the Krav guy they've got at Olympos, and got a bit too much of a McDojo feeling at Protect Invest.

Edit: Oh yeah, most of my friends who do MT do so at Lotus Gym, so, that place is probably on the level as well.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 20, 2011

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010

Rhaka posted:

I'm currenly working on getting a conditioning routine in order, and if I stick to train in Utrecht, will probably be hitting up BJJ after the summer at Jiu Jitsu Factory, because my one class there was excellent. Shame it's somewhat expensive though, pretty much means I won't be able to do striking alongside BJJ, if I want to keep up my fencing.

Can I ask what MT/Krav schools you've gone to? I was thoroughly unimpressed by the Krav guy they've got at Olympos, and got a bit too much of a McDojo feeling at Protect Invest.

Ah, yeah, I looked at that BJJ school as well. Maybe I'll take a look at that as well. After all these stories about fondling in pyjamas I'm all warmed up.

At the moment I'm still a member of BMC Reflex Krav Maga. I really think I'll switch to either kickboxing or boxing though. There's on school that teaches both, so that might be worth checking out. They also have 3 or 4 hours each Saturday where you can walk in whenever you want and spar. I'm going to assume that that's generally a good sign? I wanted to go to Jan Brouwer Boxing, but sadly enough, they've closed apparently.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stabbing Spork posted:

Oil checks: No. Reverse triangle teabaggings: Yes.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
DerMoarder looks exactly like CB Dolloway.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I got my first two submissions in BJJ class tonight (it's turns out it's way harder to submit BJJ guys than judo guys). My first one was a Kesa Ashi Gatame. I'm pretty pleased with this milestone.

Edit: I'd like to please the people who don't know judo terms but I don't actually know what to call that submission in not Moonspeak. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4jnkfatu4&NR=1

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 21, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Office Sheep posted:

I got my first two submissions in BJJ class tonight (it's turns out it's way harder to submit BJJ guys than judo guys). My first one was a Kesa Ashi Gatame. I'm pretty pleased with this milestone.

Edit: I'd like to please the people who don't know judo terms but I don't actually know what to call that submission in not Moonspeak. Here is a video.

Congrats!

That is actually one of my favorite subs on lower ranked BJJ guys, using my knee rather than my foot for the finish. They are so disoriented by a strong Kesa-Gatame that they don't even think to protect the arm.

My favorite sub in matwork, Judo or BJJ, is to do what is essentially a flying arm bar from the knees. If a guy reaches out with their right arm before we engage, I will take a grip on their bicep with my left hand and then fake with my right leg like I am pulling guard (put the right foot on their left knee) and then toss my hips out and swing my left foot over their head as I pull back for the armbar. It's a magical, immediate sub.

For advanced guys it'll only work every once in a while, but once guys know it is coming I will instead toss the left leg around their waist and work towards getting their back. This isn't as high percentage as the initial move, but it helps me keep people on their toes and make them think twice as I am pulling the armbar in.

The downside of this though is that once I've been at a club for a few weeks everyone always just starts on their butt instead of on their knees when they are paired with me. Bastards.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 21, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I've only trained Muay Thai for a year coming up next month and lately I've been getting some serious burn out. I have absolutely no desire to compete at all and I'm starting to notice just how much it's really starting to hinder me now that we have alot of guys training for a smoker next month.

We occasionally train some grappling (wrestling/bjj) from time to time and I've always liked it way more than Muay Thai. The only reason I actually started training with this club is because I thought it had more of an even split between grappling and striking but that really isn't the case at all.

Hopefully I can land a decent paying job for next semester and be able to afford a real BJJ school but if not I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do.

This kinda sucks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just a heads up. My friend, Rob Constance, of Renzo Gracie Hoboken is sponsoring a pro 16-man tournament, the Ultimate Absolute NYC to be held on July 30th in NYC featuring some of the best grapplers in the world. It's going to be a spectator event held at the Hotel Pennsylvania across from Penn Station/MSG.

fighters who have committed include:

Gregor Gracie
Joao Assis
Lucas Lepri
Braga Neto
Andre Galvao
Vinny Magalhaes
Lucas Leite
Davi Ramos
Cyborg
Pablo Popovitch
Gerry Rinaldi
Vagner Rocha
Marcelo Mafra
Abmar Barbosa

http://ultimateabsolutenyc.com/

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Office Sheep posted:

congrats. Against BJJ guy I have a very high success rate with a stupid guillotine. They always go for single and double legs, against low level guys sprawling and guillotine will work so well it feels like cheating.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yuns posted:

Just a heads up. My friend, Rob Constance, of Renzo Gracie Hoboken is sponsoring a pro 16-man tournament, the Ultimate Absolute NYC to be held on July 30th in NYC featuring some of the best grapplers in the world. It's going to be a spectator event held at the Hotel Pennsylvania across from Penn Station/MSG.

fighters who have committed include:

Gregor Gracie
Joao Assis
Lucas Lepri
Braga Neto
Andre Galvao
Vinny Magalhaes
Lucas Leite
Davi Ramos
Cyborg
Pablo Popovitch
Gerry Rinaldi
Vagner Rocha
Marcelo Mafra
Abmar Barbosa

http://ultimateabsolutenyc.com/

NYC fight goon meet? I know none of my friends will want to go.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Office Sheep posted:

Straight armbar with the legs from scarf. Here it is in combo with a keylock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQTXQzS5XMs

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Thoguh posted:

That is actually one of my favorite subs on lower ranked BJJ guys, using my knee rather than my foot for the finish. They are so disoriented by a strong Kesa-Gatame that they don't even think to protect the arm.

That's pretty much exactly what happened. I can't submit people to save my life but I'm decent at passing guard and good at pins.

A bad habit from judo I have to get out of is escaping into turtle. The worst thing is that through a combination of people in this class being bad at attacking the turtle and me having learned the basics of how to effectively turtle I only find myself in any danger against higher ranked people. So I'm not really being punished for it in sparring but I assume it will hamper my BJJ development. At least I assume it's bad since I'm the only one in class doing it. No one has really called me out yet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blazebro420 posted:

I've never done a kimura from there, I had only done a straight armbar. That's sexy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Kid, I saw that video of you shadowboxing. I'm pretty impressed that you can keep the glasses on your face. Every time I try, my knuckles will knock them off after a while.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Kid, I saw that video of you shadowboxing. I'm pretty impressed that you can keep the glasses on your face. Every time I try, my knuckles will knock them off after a while.

hahaha I literally watched it and was like "How the gently caress did I keep those glasses on my face?" I think they were really tight on my big rear end head.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Office Sheep posted:

A bad habit from judo I have to get out of is escaping into turtle. The worst thing is that through a combination of people in this class being bad at attacking the turtle and me having learned the basics of how to effectively turtle I only find myself in any danger against higher ranked people. So I'm not really being punished for it in sparring but I assume it will hamper my BJJ development. At least I assume it's bad since I'm the only one in class doing it. No one has really called me out yet.

That's not so bad. You can transition to guard pretty easily from turtle. Just learn those particular transitions and then nail a few guard sweeps. Learn a path from what you're good at back to the top, and spend a lot of time practicing each of those steps.

Bad situation -> Turtle -> Guard -> Sweep to Top.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That's not so bad. You can transition to guard pretty easily from turtle. Just learn those particular transitions and then nail a few guard sweeps. Learn a path from what you're good at back to the top, and spend a lot of time practicing each of those steps.

Bad situation -> Turtle -> Guard -> Sweep to Top.

If I'm turtle and someone jumps on my back and puts hooks in, how do I get him in my guard? If I roll over won't he still have my back?
VV Okay, thankyou.

Blazebro420 posted:

By the way, this is awesome.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 21, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You should make it really hard for him to get those hooks in. Once the hooks are in, you're not in a turtle anymore. Put your head to the floor, make your elbows touch your knees. There shouldn't be enough space for him to get his hooks.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What the heck is an oil check?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 21, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

quote:

Seventeen-year-old Jerome Hunt faces 21 counts of rape and attempted rape. Each count carries up to 25 years in prison. Hunt's lawyer Mike Butler claims the complaints came from fellow Parker wrestlers who were simply victims of a legitimate wrestling move.

Former state champion wrestler Jerome Hunt's lawyer says all but two of the incidents reported happened in the Parker High School wrestling room before practice during last year's wrestling season.

Hunt told investigators the accusations probably come from a wrestling move called a "butt drag" or "skinning," which involves the wrestler placing pressure on the area of the rectum.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49074&page=1

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

tarepanda posted:

What the heck is an oil check?

Fingers forcefully shoved towards your butthole to make you move. If you don't they're definitely going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

haha all but 2 were on the mat. So, he only actually sexual assaulted someone twice if you don't count the "legitimate" wrestling incidents.

Also it was before practice, so what the hell was he doing? Warming up with some rear end play?

• Locked thread