Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone know how to delete Install OS X Lion? Because I clicked get info>sharing permissions and I'm making everything read write. Still not letting me delete it when I go to empty my trash.

Edit: Nevermind I had to right click it and choose empty trash from there.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

grahm posted:

Are you guys using this inverted scrolling wackiness? It's not intuitive for me, but if this is what the future is like, I'd rather learn it now than later.

I can't stand it, and I shut it off immediately.

Like I said earlier, for direct manipulation it's appropriate. But via a mouse or touchpad it's analogous to turning your head. You scroll down when you want to look down, and scroll up when you want to look up.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

grahm posted:

Are you guys using this inverted scrolling wackiness? It's not intuitive for me, but if this is what the future is like, I'd rather learn it now than later.

I thought I was getting used to it, switched back to the regular style, and then just felt so much more relaxed. For touchpads I get it, but not for touchwheels.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

rear end in a top hat who breaks tables on my browser like an rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress about doing that posted:

Why is my folder hidden? When exit this and open this folder its gone.

Could it be hidden?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hmm. Opening my copy of eclipse now launches flash builder.

This is very loving wierd.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Accipiter posted:

Like I said earlier, for direct manipulation it's appropriate. But via a mouse or touchpad it's analogous to turning your head. You scroll down when you want to look down, and scroll up when you want to look up.

This is my feeling. I could get used to it, but it doesn't really make sense and it's easier to stick to the old one.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie

decypher posted:

Could it be hidden?

I'm not sure, I can't find a unhide button and I even searched google but they all bring me to an app to download which I really don't want to do.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Accipiter posted:

I'd argue on touch-input devices it makes perfect sense, but on traditional mice scrollwheels it's a terrible idea. Just me though.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Iter literally inverted mouselook.

also MOTHERFUCKER has YET AGAIN broken my loving python install :argh:

Seriously apple whats so hard about /etc /usr /home /usr/bin etc.... Its bad enough and I wont hold it against them for a decision to spazz out file locations an entire decade ago, but this constantly moving directories around every release just fucks with my head :(

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know how to remove the name of the currently logged in user from the upper right of the tool/menu bar? I know that i'm logged in, I dont need OSX to remind me!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Anyone else having an issue with finder windows not showing? I can open new windows, and even finder preferences, but no matter what I do, I can't show them, except during expose transitions. Selecting them from expose doesn't show them.

Annoyingly all of the windows I've tried to open show when I swipe between desktops, but then they go away before I can interact with them.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So if I missed the option to ERASE AND INSTALL then is my only option to do an ERASE AND INSTALL of Snow Leopard, and then download Lion again and do it all over again?

Downloadable content isn't all it's cracked up to be. :(

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie

QWERTTY posted:

Why is my folder hidden? When exit this and open this folder its gone.

Any help with this?

gregday
May 23, 2003

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know how to remove the name of the currently logged in user from the upper right of the tool/menu bar? I know that i'm logged in, I dont need OSX to remind me!

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > [Uncheck] Show Fast User Switching Menu

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Is there anything particular about that folder or is it actually just storage?

To make it not hidden, enter terminal and type

cd ..
mv .Storage Storage

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

frogbs posted:

Hold command on your keyboard, drag the menu bar item off the menu bar and let go of the mouse button

poof. Works for all the poo poo up there.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie

FamDav posted:

Is there anything particular about that folder or is it actually just storage?

To make it not hidden, enter terminal and type

cd ..
mv .Storage Storage

I'm using it while I wait for my external hd. I did that and this happened.

quote:

Last login: Wed Jul 20 19:20:29 on console
Daniel-Alexanders-MacBook-Pro:~ danielalexander$ cd
Daniel-Alexanders-MacBook-Pro:~ danielalexander$ cd ..
Daniel-Alexanders-MacBook-Pro:Users danielalexander$ mv .Storage Storage
mv: rename .Storage to Storage: No such file or directory
Daniel-Alexanders-MacBook-Pro:Users danielalexander$

QWERTTY fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 21, 2011

darsh5000
Dec 10, 2005

#2Terms2Chainz
Alright, question regarding a trackpad shortcut--apparently three fingers double tapping on a word, will look up the word in the dictionary. I'm not able to get this one to work at all--is there a special trick to doing it?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Is anyone else using the Performance MX mouse?

I had it set up to open Expose with the lower thumb button through the Logitech Control Center, but now it's not working (probably because it's Mission Control).

Does anyone know how I could fix this, or do I have to wait for a Logitech update?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Is anyone else using the Performance MX mouse?

I had it set up to open Expose with the lower thumb button through the Logitech Control Center, but now it's not working (probably because it's Mission Control).

Does anyone know how I could fix this, or do I have to wait for a Logitech update?

I literally just came to ask the exact same thing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

QWERTTY posted:

The Lion installer obviously did something strange to that folder. Give up. Make a new folder inside your home directory, then move everything from the weird folder to the new one, then delete the anomaly. Problem solved.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Anyone else having an issue with finder windows not showing? I can open new windows, and even finder preferences, but no matter what I do, I can't show them, except during expose transitions. Selecting them from expose doesn't show them.

Annoyingly all of the windows I've tried to open show when I swipe between desktops, but then they go away before I can interact with them.

Attaching a screenshot. I've tried restarting, running software update, etc. The window shows during the transition, but disappears as soon as you settle on a desktop.

Edit: Force Quitting Finder fixed it. Yay.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KingLOCAR
Mar 4, 2004
MillDaKill is the BOMB
Heres a weird problem.
In my Library > Application Support > I have no Steam folder.
I'm looking to get access to my steam games, L4D2 mod, and its not there since upgrading, though steam runs fine with all my games.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Is there any problem with having applications installed into the users directory as opposed to the general applications folder? Why doesn't OS X default to this behavior, anyways.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FamDav posted:

Is there any problem with having applications installed into the users directory as opposed to the general applications folder? Why doesn't OS X default to this behavior, anyways.

Because most people want applications available to everyone that uses the computer.

QWERTTY
May 26, 2009

Maui Wowie

mllaneza posted:

The Lion installer obviously did something strange to that folder. Give up. Make a new folder inside your home directory, then move everything from the weird folder to the new one, then delete the anomaly. Problem solved.

I tried what you said and this happened. It seems there is an invisible storage folder there with my stuff in it which I would like to delete.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 21, 2011

vkeios
May 7, 2007

QWERTTY posted:

If you got Xcode installed.
code:
cd /
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V Storage/
There's probably some third party app that'll do this, but I can't think of one.

And just a piece of advice with OS X. Keep your files out of anything that isn't /Applications or /Users/your_name/

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone tried using Lion with Connect360 yet? Anything broken in the upgrade?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I miss Shift + Alt + Volume Keys :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Diabolik900 posted:

I literally just came to ask the exact same thing.

Map Mission Control to a keystroke, then configure that button to execute the keystroke. I'm not sure if it will have entirely the desired behavior, however, and can't test because I left Logitech's software for USB Overdrive a while ago.

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
What I loved the most about SL was Expose and Spaces. Dear God, Lion has been a shock in that regard (and not in a good way). There's nothing about Mission Control that I like over the old implementation.

I hope you weren't trying to figure out what was on the window marked with the red arrow. Also, the new 4 finger downward swipe is just absolutely useless to me. I used Spaces so that I could use one dedicated Space for most of each application's windows. When you've got a fair amount of windows open, the auto-grouping with Mission Control stacks some related windows too much, and you can't see what's on the pages that are in the back of the stack. This was also not a problem with the old 4 fingers down.

Also, I find that the Space thumbnails are almost too small to be of any use, and there's no longer an equivalent to bringing up the Spaces grid and then using the 4-swipe-down to view all of the windows in all of the Spaces at once.

Basically, the ease of making the most out of a 13" screen was what appealed to me most about Snow Leopard. I feel that Lion has greatly, greatly regressed in this regard.

edit: I really hope that this doesn't come off as freaking out or sperging over some small details. I just think that being able to manage a large amount of open applications/windows at once is where OS X really shined, and now it feels like it's regressed quite a bit.

riht fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 21, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I couldn't stand that natural scrolling crap. Also I'm using chrome and Java applets aren't working right.

Is there a way to stop my login name from displaying in the top right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Also I'm using chrome and Java applets aren't working right.
Lion doesn't come with Java by default. It should prompt you to install Java if you try to use it though.

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int

actionjackson posted:

I couldn't stand that natural scrolling crap. Also I'm using chrome and Java applets aren't working right.

Is there a way to stop my login name from displaying in the top right?

1. Go to System Prefs > Users & Groups > Login Options (the house icon at the bottom of the user list on the left)
2. Uncheck "Show fast user switching menu as.." or choose a new display option from the drop down.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. When I went back to the page with the problem it prompted me to install instead of just giving me an error.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Haggins posted:

I've had this MPB I'm using since 2008 and I've never done a clean install. I bought lion this morning but I'm waiting to finish up some photos for a client tonight before I install it.

Is it worth it to do a clean install? If so, what would be the best way of doing so? I have a time machine backup and a TB free on an external drive that I can utilize.

It's not worth it. The OS X installer is intelligent enough to cleanly install a new system and migrate your account and files to it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
e: Nevermind, I can't read.

riht posted:

I hope you weren't trying to figure out what was on the window marked with the red arrow. Also, the new 4 finger downward swipe is just absolutely useless to me.

This seems a little contradictory. Lion actually adds to Exposé: you have one gesture to show all open windows (4 fingers up) and one gesture to show all windows of the active app (3 or 4 fingers down). It's different from Snow Leopard's behavior, but I don't see how this is completely and totally inferior to SL's window management. If anything, it's a finer-grain implementation of a feature, something which Apple is not known for.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 21, 2011

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

Map Mission Control to a keystroke, then configure that button to execute the keystroke. I'm not sure if it will have entirely the desired behavior, however, and can't test because I left Logitech's software for USB Overdrive a while ago.

Thanks, this worked for me.

What I did was map Mission Control to Mouse Button 8 and then mapped the Logitech thumb button to Advanced Click Button 8

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Is there some secret I'm missing to get the dock to show up when I'm in a fullscreen app? Sometimes it'll show up when I move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, but it works so rarely that I almost think it isn't supposed to appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

QWERTTY posted:

Any help with this?

To fix this open up a terminal and cd to the directory containing the Storage folder and run

chflags nohidden Storage