Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I'm on NuvaRing (which I have always loved!) but sadly, our insurance is changing and my copay is going up. It will now cost $40/month due to the lack of a generic. That means I'd be spending $480 to keep myself baby free every year. That's like, half of a vacation. :(

Until you switch birth controls, use a nuvaring coupon for the $15 off. $25 is a lot better than $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

For the lady that was asking about the Depo Shot:

I got my first shot ever on May 10. I have PCOS and my gyno said that as long as the side effects didn't get to me, it was WONDERFUL for treating PCOS. I let her talk me into the shot. I've always been leary of it because I knew that if the ide effects were bad, I'd be stuck with them for 3 months. They also told me that even if the side effects were bad that often times they will clear up with the second shot.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would like to let you know what the side effects can be like.

I didn't gain any extra weight at least.

I have had such terrible awful cramps from the shot. For a long time there I was cramping constantly, every day. It got to the point that I can't get close to having an orgasm because my loving uterus is too sore to properly manage it. I was already spotting when I got the shot (I'm anovulatory too, yay confused uterus and hosed up cycles!) and I spotted for about 6weeks. Then I basically had a period that lasted about 3 weeks (not unusual for me, when I actually have one) with more of the insane cramping. I was running to the bathroom every hour to deal with business at work. I could barely move, in a job that requires that I stay on my feet the whole time. Now I'm back to spotting, but I think I'm about to have another awful period. I refuse to get another shot and go through a total of 6 months of this. Did I mention the acne? Awful breakouts, and as soon as I get one sort of cleared up, it starts again.

Luckily my gyno understood and has already given me a stack of Nuvarings for when the shot wears off. The nuvaring didn't help me much with acne, and there was some cramping, but I didn't have any other problems. My periods were still awful, but lasted 4 days, which is like a miracle to me.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

evelynevvie posted:

For the lady that was asking about the Depo Shot:

I got my first shot ever on May 10. I have PCOS and my gyno said that as long as the side effects didn't get to me, it was WONDERFUL for treating PCOS. I let her talk me into the shot. I've always been leary of it because I knew that if the ide effects were bad, I'd be stuck with them for 3 months. They also told me that even if the side effects were bad that often times they will clear up with the second shot.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would like to let you know what the side effects can be like.

I didn't gain any extra weight at least.

I have had such terrible awful cramps from the shot. For a long time there I was cramping constantly, every day. It got to the point that I can't get close to having an orgasm because my loving uterus is too sore to properly manage it. I was already spotting when I got the shot (I'm anovulatory too, yay confused uterus and hosed up cycles!) and I spotted for about 6weeks. Then I basically had a period that lasted about 3 weeks (not unusual for me, when I actually have one) with more of the insane cramping. I was running to the bathroom every hour to deal with business at work. I could barely move, in a job that requires that I stay on my feet the whole time. Now I'm back to spotting, but I think I'm about to have another awful period. I refuse to get another shot and go through a total of 6 months of this. Did I mention the acne? Awful breakouts, and as soon as I get one sort of cleared up, it starts again.

Luckily my gyno understood and has already given me a stack of Nuvarings for when the shot wears off. The nuvaring didn't help me much with acne, and there was some cramping, but I didn't have any other problems. My periods were still awful, but lasted 4 days, which is like a miracle to me.

Thanks for the info! That all sounds really horrible. I did a little more research about IUDs, and aside from the pain during and after insertion, it doesn't seem too bad. I'll talk to my doctor about everything tomorrow and we'll see what happens from there; I'll definitely provide closure on what I'm doing :)

I just really despise menstruation and everything involved with it. And I really cannot have any cramps or pain ruining my day. And Nuvarings seem cool, I like how they're all "set it and forget it", but I'm not so sure about practically fisting myself whenever I want to put it in or take it out. Same thing over at the menstrual cup thread. It seems cool, but I don't think I can handle it :can:

I'll tell you all what I've decided tomorrow.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

BigGayLogan posted:

Thanks for the info! That all sounds really horrible. I did a little more research about IUDs, and aside from the pain during and after insertion, it doesn't seem too bad. I'll talk to my doctor about everything tomorrow and we'll see what happens from there; I'll definitely provide closure on what I'm doing :)

I just really despise menstruation and everything involved with it. And I really cannot have any cramps or pain ruining my day. And Nuvarings seem cool, I like how they're all "set it and forget it", but I'm not so sure about practically fisting myself whenever I want to put it in or take it out. Same thing over at the menstrual cup thread. It seems cool, but I don't think I can handle it :can:

I'll tell you all what I've decided tomorrow.

I had the Depo shot for almost 5 years and it wasn't anything debilitating. The 3 months of worry-free protection is what had me sticking with it for so long. Worst side effects imo was the hormonal rollercoaster (only really evident for ~1-2 wks, when your dosage is running out and you get a new shot). I became really weepy. Bad news is that you're stuck with your body's reaction for 3 months. Good news was that I stopped ragging after a few cycles of the bc.

Getting a shot every three months was easier for me back then than assimilating the normalcy of storing birth control up inside my cooch. I've grown up since then though, and am now on my 2nd cycle of Implanon. Having to finger a ring out/in my junk once a week doesn't seem so gross (especially with the good side effects I've heard about itt- esp acne control).

Sandry
Jan 1, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

I've got some increased acne that is almost certainly from the Mirena, but I have a strong family tendency toward acne (even as an adult), so it's tough to say the IUD is really to blame.

I have not had any weight gain at all from the Mirena, but I've never gained weight from any birth control and am one of those people everyone hates who actually has trouble keeping weight on (which is really not as fun as most people think, but that is an issue for another thread).

I'm going to second this in regards to acne and weight. I've had my Mirena for about a year and a half now. I was on Yaz before that and it did control the acne thing better. But I vastly prefer the Mirena just because no periods and no worrying about taking something at a certain time. I'm 24 with no kids and when I broached the topic with my gyno last year he had no problem with it. He just gave me these four little pills to, er, put up there near my cervix the night before to soften the tissue. He said they're given to women who haven't given birth to help ease the process. While I won't lie and say it didn't hurt, I will say it was nothing like the horridness of the cervical biopsy I had done 7 months before that.

I did have random spotting for maybe 6 months until the second positioning check up and my doc put me on the pill again for 3 months or so and I haven't bled since. *knock on wood* On rare occasions I get functional cysts which my doc says are harmless aside from the brief pain and he didn't seem to think they had anything to do with the Mirena.

As for cost, mine was pretty expensive but that was because I hadn't met me deductible and all that fun stuff. Either way over 5 years it's cheaper than paying for pills every month. :)

For other goonettes with Mirena, have you ever had any issue with the string bit? I'm thinking next time I see my doc I'm gonna ask if he can cut it shorter and was just wondering if anyone else's bf (or gf) had every noticed it?

Sandry fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 20, 2011

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Well, good news! I explained to my doctor that I wanted to switch to a bc that would completely eliminate periods without any horrible side effects and the first thing she suggested was the Mirena IUD. Awesome!

I got sent home with a pamphlet all about Mirena as well as a refill for my pills. She told me to take my time to think about it and once I'm ready to go make an appointment for the insertion. Which brings me to my next question: when's a good time to get an IUD inserted, and what about my pills? I will get my period in two weeks if it matters.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BigGayLogan posted:

I got sent home with a pamphlet all about Mirena as well as a refill for my pills. She told me to take my time to think about it and once I'm ready to go make an appointment for the insertion. Which brings me to my next question: when's a good time to get an IUD inserted, and what about my pills? I will get my period in two weeks if it matters.

Cool!
You should have asked her that. Most doctors say during your period so maybe call back and make an appointment for just after 2 weeks from now, whenever you are sure you will have started the placebo pills and started bleeding I guess.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Sandry posted:

For other goonettes with Mirena, have you ever had any issue with the string bit? I'm thinking next time I see my doc I'm gonna ask if he can cut it shorter and was just wondering if anyone else's bf (or gf) had every noticed it?

The strings on my current Mirena definitely poke my fiance during sex at certain times. We typically switch to a different position and can avoid the issue that way. What sucks for me is that my strings were specifically left very long this time because with my previous Mirena they were cut too short (so short they did not end up extending from my cervix once the IUD settled into place) and removing it was a *very* rough procedure as a result.

Unfortunately, my uterus appears to enjoying sucking up IUD strings or something, so now even my "very long" strings are quite short (they never extend more than a couple of mm out of my cervix and are often completely inside it) and there isn't much I can have done other than use positions that don't poke him when they are sticking out.

BigGayLogan posted:

Well, good news! I explained to my doctor that I wanted to switch to a bc that would completely eliminate periods without any horrible side effects and the first thing she suggested was the Mirena IUD. Awesome!

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Cool!
You should have asked her that. Most doctors say during your period so maybe call back and make an appointment for just after 2 weeks from now, whenever you are sure you will have started the placebo pills and started bleeding I guess.

Pretty much echoing what MM said. Most docs prefer that it be during your period. Your cervix is slightly open at two times in your cycle: when you ovulate (which you won't be on the pill) and during your period. This makes insertion a bit easier. You ideally to schedule it for a day when your period will be relatively heavy, rather than a day when its nearly over or just getting started.

Your doctor also may prescribe you a few tablets of a drug called cytotec to place near your cervix the night before your insertion appointment. Don't worry if she doesn't, but don't be surprised if you get some cramping from it if she does. It softens up the cervix a bit and some docs find it makes insertion easier, while others don't bother with it. I've had it both ways and am not sure it made much difference. Either way, other than some mild cramping there wasn't anything really unpleasant about using it.

Other advice:
Some women are prone to vasovagal reactions (lightheadedness, nausea, fainting) when they have their cervix messed with. If this is a problem for you, or if you've gotten these types of reactions from other things like getting blood drawn, make sure you let the doctor know. It's not something that is going to hurt you if it happens, but it's good if they are prepared for it if you already know that it happens to you.

You may want to take some advil before your appointment. It doesn't make the insertion itself easier, but it will reduce the cramping afterwards since you will already have it in your system.

Get some heat packs (thermacare for example) and take one with you to the appointment to put on as soon as the insertion is over. Absolutely nothing helped my post-insertion cramping like these heat packs. They kick rear end!

Have a friend to drive you home and do it on a day where you can take the rest of the day off if you are worried about cramping post-insertion. Even if you don't end up needing it, it's one less thing to worry about which will let you relax a lot more. Some women even take off the day after the insertion but that's usually not necessary. I could have driven myself home and been back at school immediately after both of mine, but it was nice to be able to take it a bit easier.

Don't do a ton of heavy lifting for a few days after insertion. Due to scheduling problems I had to move out of my house two days or so after my second insertion and that kind of sucked and made me cramp more because of all the lifting of boxes I was doing.

Check with your insurance about the IUD and whether they will cover it. Some are picky about the way everything is done/billed in order to cover it. My insurance refused to cover my second IUD because the health center I got it done at does not keep them in stock, so it had to be ordered specifically for my insertion. It was a lovely loophole for them and I did not have the time (because of the impending move) to gently caress around with getting them to cover it, but if we had known enough in advance we might have been able to avoid the issue and had it covered.

Sorry if that's more info than you wanted! Good luck with your insertion if you do decide to go for it. Even though insertion is a bit sucky I maintain that the Mirena is the best decision I've ever made for myself. Not getting periods kicks rear end!

Sandry
Jan 1, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

Other advice:
Some women are prone to vasovagal reactions (lightheadedness, nausea, fainting) when they have their cervix messed with. If this is a problem for you, or if you've gotten these types of reactions from other things like getting blood drawn, make sure you let the doctor know. It's not something that is going to hurt you if it happens, but it's good if they are prepared for it if you already know that it happens to you.

So, this is me for sure. I literally passed out in the hallway after my biopsy and almost did after the insertion of the mirena. I remember if hurting a bit, but the whole swooning thing came after the rest period they tell you to take. And Cytotec are the pills I mentioned in my previous post that Ceridwen just mentioned. I had forgotten that they made me nauseous, but they did for sure but not until that morning and it went away after a few hours. I'm definitely seconding the heat pad, it definitely helps. I drove myself to and from my appointment with no trouble, so if you had to it would be ok. I honestly wasn't in any pain until a few hours later and even then it was very minimal, just sort of achy for a few days nothing debilitating. I laid about with the heating pad and alternately napped and watched TV but I could've gone to work if I'd needed to.

As for scheduling my doc didn't specify a certain week as better than another, I just scheduled when it was convenient for me.

Tip: If you are prone to the lightheadedness, nausea and fainting make sure you eat a proper breakfast beforehand. And maybe bring some crackers to snack on for after. When I passed out after my biopsy the nurses asked what I had for breakfast and then shook their heads at me when I told them that I'd only had a poptart or something. :doh:

Despite the bit of pain associated with the Mirena and the almost fainting, I would definitely do it again and in 3.5 years if I'm still at the point where I don't want any kids I'll absolutely get another one. :)

Sandry
Jan 1, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

The strings on my current Mirena definitely poke my fiance during sex at certain times. We typically switch to a different position and can avoid the issue that way. What sucks for me is that my strings were specifically left very long this time because with my previous Mirena they were cut too short (so short they did not end up extending from my cervix once the IUD settled into place) and removing it was a *very* rough procedure as a result.

Unfortunately, my uterus appears to enjoying sucking up IUD strings or something, so now even my "very long" strings are quite short (they never extend more than a couple of mm out of my cervix and are often completely inside it) and there isn't much I can have done other than use positions that don't poke him when they are sticking out.

Lol, your uterus must just really love the string. I had read somewhere that the string is supposed to soften up as well, I suppose mine is, but it's not like I checked it often or anything so idk. I had never really noticed the string but a guy I dated a while back did. His expression was rather funny when he felt it, just a sort of "what's that??" face (not mean/pain just surprised). I think mine's a couple of cm or something, which seems rather long to me.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
While we're on the topic of IUD's... I finally have my appointment set to get my paragard removed! :) Does it make a difference if I'm on my period or not? I'm going to be so happy to have it gone.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Sandry posted:

Lol, your uterus must just really love the string. I had read somewhere that the string is supposed to soften up as well, I suppose mine is, but it's not like I checked it often or anything so idk. I had never really noticed the string but a guy I dated a while back did. His expression was rather funny when he felt it, just a sort of "what's that??" face (not mean/pain just surprised). I think mine's a couple of cm or something, which seems rather long to me.

My husband says they feel softer now than when I first had my mirena inserted in February v:shobon:v

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lackadaisical posted:

While we're on the topic of IUD's... I finally have my appointment set to get my paragard removed! :) Does it make a difference if I'm on my period or not? I'm going to be so happy to have it gone.

I got mine taken out while not on my period, and I hardly felt a thing. Hope that clears up your problems. I know my bleeding and cramping is WAY better now that the paragard it out of there.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

It'll probably hurt less if you get it taken out when you're not on your period.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

My gyno wanted me on mine for it.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Forgive me if this has been covered, but this is a very huge thread. Do any of you have experience with Gianvi? I just started it, not for pregnancy prevention, but because I'm missing most of my pituitary gland and don't produce estrogen or ovulate, and I feel like garbage. I've only been on it for 2.5 weeks, but I already got my period, feel really fatigued all the time, have diarrhea and stomach cramping, mild nausea, and have been a loving crabby rear end bitch. This sucks. :smith:

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
To all the people who responded about getting the paragard removed - did it alter your period after you got it removed? It sounds pretty painless to get removed but were there any noticeable, immediate after-effects?

Cracker Jack posted:

I got mine taken out while not on my period, and I hardly felt a thing. Hope that clears up your problems. I know my bleeding and cramping is WAY better now that the paragard it out of there.

Ya, I'm definitely looking forward to not being on my period for half the month. I got my paragard when I wasn't on my period and it feels like it never really "synced" with my Yaz. I don't even know if it's possible but it seems like I almost have two periods. I get the one when my yaz pack runs out and it's what I'm used to - it lasts a few days but is generally pretty light and painless. Then after it ends, I have a few days before it starts again but it lasts longer, hurts like hell and is much, MUCH heavier. I'm hoping that getting rid of the paragard will eliminate that second part.

HoBeau
Jan 17, 2008
La Beauté du Sinistré
Thanks for this thread, it's been very informative and I've read the whole thing!

I did have a concern about my Nuvaring. My SO prefers that I remove it before we have sex. Unfortunately I forgot to re-insert it after some unprotected lovin' and it was out for ~12 hours. I did put it back in but did not use any other BC methods in the meantime. This was (I believe) between week 2 or 3 of my cycle, and I have a few questions.

Is pregnancy a possibility? Would I still experience a 'withdrawal bleed' once I remover the ring if I am pregnant? I've bought some pregnancy tests but it's still a bit early for testing as my period is only due in 5 days. I appreciate any input!

Edit for details: I have been feeling excessively tired and nauseous for about a week although I suspect paranoia may be the culprit.

HoBeau fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 23, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

HoBeau posted:

Is pregnancy a possibility?

It's a very small possibility, but it still exists. The ring really shouldn't be out for more than 3 hours at a time during your 3 "in" weeks, though fortunately it's less of an issue during weeks 2-3 because the ring has likely prevented ovulation.

quote:

Would I still experience a 'withdrawal bleed' once I remover the ring if I am pregnant?

Not likely because pregnancy would sustain the higher hormone levels required to prevent a period.

quote:

I've bought some pregnancy tests but it's still a bit early for testing as my period is only due in 5 days. I appreciate any input!

Edit for details: I have been feeling excessively tired and nauseous for about a week although I suspect paranoia may be the culprit.

I think you're right about it being paranoia. :) The nausea commonly associated with pregnancy is caused by high levels of the same hormone (hCG) that you're testing for when using a pregnancy test. This nausea usually starts around month 2 of pregnancy.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I have a Plan B pill that I keep around for peace of mind that's about to expire. Is there any reason to keep/take it as an extra means of protection even when I don't think I'm pregnant? I sort of hate to just bin it, it was expensive.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I have a Plan B pill that I keep around for peace of mind that's about to expire. Is there any reason to keep/take it as an extra means of protection even when I don't think I'm pregnant? I sort of hate to just bin it, it was expensive.

Expirations exist for a reason. Dump it.

And Plan B is specifically for when your birth control fails (forgot to take pill/condom breaks) so why on earth would you take it unless it was for that? :psyduck:

Ionic
May 7, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I was told by a doctor once that expiration dates on most pill-form medications were a bunch of b.s. and that most things were usually good for years after the expiration date - but oh man, Plan B is not something I'd want to take chances with. If I have to take that, I want to know I'm taking one that's going to work.

Also, seconding what Kerfuffle said about not taking it just because! That is a heck of a lot of hormones to put in your system if you don't absolutely need them.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Girlfriend got her period a ~week early. She's been on on the pill for several months now and it has been great at regulating cycles, but she's out of the country doing humanitarian work and I think the lack of sleep/stress/etc. probably triggered it. She says she hasn't missed any pills.

My question is: should she just go ahead and take her placebo pills now, then finish out the rest of the pack before starting a new one? Or is it best to just continue with the regular schedule? Will that be safe to take the 4 placebos starting around the time her period ends?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
She should continue with the regular schedule, including the placebo pills.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

She should continue with the regular schedule, including the placebo pills.

Righto! Thanks Wizard :tipshat:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Something similar happened to me when I was on my month long field methods course. Sleeping outside, poor sleep, poor nutrition, dehydration. Like EW said, keep on keeping on with the pills. Once she's in a better situation it will even back out.

Stress makes the female cycle do amazing insane things.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
So I'm at about 6-7 weeks post-Implanon removal, and am not currently using another form of birth control. I'm wondering how other people have reacted afterwards.

I had a period on July 6th, and it was just like the periods I had before I was on birth control - that is to say, it sucked.

Yesterday and today, I've had period-like cramps, but no period. I've had non-stop diarrhea since yesterday too, and I'm trying to figure out if the two things are related. I did work out really hard on Friday, and it included lots of abdominal exercises, but as I'm sure you ladies can attest to, sore abdominal muscles feel different from cramps.

I'm trying to take most things right now as *normal*, and as my body adjusting to having all of the random hormones yanked out of it, so I definitely want to go with the flow, so to speak. I'm wondering how long I should wait before seeing a doctor about it, though. None of it is debilitating, just uncomfortable.

Also, there is no chance I could be pregnant, FWIW.

Thanks!

Minnesota Nice. fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 25, 2011

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

HoBeau posted:

I've bought some pregnancy tests but it's still a bit early for testing as my period is only due in 5 days. I appreciate any input!

I just skim this thread, but if anyone is curious, Amazon has ridiculously inexpensive pregnancy tests. I have a mirena/inconsistent periods/am paranoid so I inevitably end up using one right before my period finally comes, but they're cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Skywriter posted:

So I'm at about 6-7 weeks post-Implanon, and am not currently using another form of birth control. I'm wondering how other people have reacted afterwards.

I had a period on July 6th, and it was just like the periods I had before I was on birth control - that is to say, it sucked.

Yesterday and today, I've had period-like cramps, but no period. I've had non-stop diarrhea since yesterday too, and I'm trying to figure out if the two things are related. I did work out really hard on Friday, and it included lots of abdominal exercises, but as I'm sure you ladies can attest to, sore abdominal muscles feel different from cramps.

I'm trying to take most things right now as *normal*, and as my body adjusting to having all of the random hormones yanked out of it, so I definitely want to go with the flow, so to speak. I'm wondering how long I should wait before seeing a doctor about it, though. None of it is debilitating, just uncomfortable.

Also, there is no chance I could be pregnant, FWIW.

Thanks!

The diarrhea could be related, sometimes I get it in conjunction with ragging. I'm also using Implanon (love it!). However, one of the most common side effects with it is irregular bleeding. For me, I'm irregular as gently caress and that does suck because you can't plan ahead like some girls on the pill (hi Geo). But the blissfulness of not having to worry about getting knocked up is worth all the surprise periods in the world to me. Just be sure you're always carrying tampons/whatever. :)

I wouldn't worry about seeing a doctor unless your cramps DO become debilitating or you suddenly start bleeding extremely heavily (i.e. soaking a pad within an hour). Anything less than that I believe is just your body figuring out what it wants to do about menstruation now that you're on a new form of birth control.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks for the response. I realized I was unclear in my post- I had the Implanon taken out 6-7 weeks ago. (I did love it while it was in though!)

I'll tough it out for a couple more days. Luckily, since I'm a teacher, I have a couple more weeks off before school starts, so it's not as if I have to get up at the crack of dawn and deal with working all day. So, if I have diarrhea for another day or so, it's not the end of the world. I'll just keep an eye on it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My girlfriend went to the doctor to get birth control and the doctor said she can't take hormonal birth control because she is taking aspirin for blood clot risk. She is at higher risk of blood clots than most people so the doctor recommended she not take hormonal birth control.

I looked through the list of alternatives, but they all seem way less pleasant than just hormonal birth control pills. Does anyone have any suggestions... is it really that bad to take hormonal birth control if you're at risk of blood clots?

I don't want to have to suggest she gets something implanted into her just so that I don't have to wear a condom, but we're going to get married and don't plan on having kids for a while so maybe it would be worth it?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Hormonal birth control is very, very strongly correlated with the risk for blod clots. Hell, I remember a few years ago a goon posted a thread about his girlfriend dying from blood clots that they believed was caused by birth control. her doctor is absolutely right, if she is at high risk for blood clots, then hormonal b/c is a bad idea.

She could look into getting a copper IUD. Plenty of goonettes have them and are perfectly fine with them. Otherwise, you are just gonna have to deal with condoms dude. Does it suck? yep. But I think a dead girlfriend/fiance/wife would suck more.

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006

systran posted:

My girlfriend went to the doctor to get birth control and the doctor said she can't take hormonal birth control because she is taking aspirin for blood clot risk. She is at higher risk of blood clots than most people so the doctor recommended she not take hormonal birth control.

I looked through the list of alternatives, but they all seem way less pleasant than just hormonal birth control pills. Does anyone have any suggestions... is it really that bad to take hormonal birth control if you're at risk of blood clots?

I don't want to have to suggest she gets something implanted into her just so that I don't have to wear a condom, but we're going to get married and don't plan on having kids for a while so maybe it would be worth it?

The post above mine is only partly true. ESTROGEN-containing contraceptives put women at a higher risk of clots, but progesterone-only ones do not.

Your girlfriend would be fine if she took a progesterone-only pill, Depo-Provera, the Mirena IUD, the copper IUD, or Implanon. She has lots of options.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

Hi girls. Just have a quick inquiry- is anyone else here familiar with Lo Loestrin Fe? I started on Nuvaring back in December since I was becoming sexually active again, but it made me tired, bitchy, all of those negative side effects and what not. So, my doctor gave me Lo Loestrin... it seems like it's pretty new on the market. Anyways, I'm on my 2nd pack, 2nd week and my period was nowhere to be found. Are missed periods normal on this type of pill? I'm not sure how I feel about it, so I might change to one that gives me a regular period. I guess i'll have to take a pregnancy test just to be sure.. but, not having a period is much more unsettling than I thought it'd be!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

AbandonShip posted:

Hi girls. Just have a quick inquiry- is anyone else here familiar with Lo Loestrin Fe? I started on Nuvaring back in December since I was becoming sexually active again, but it made me tired, bitchy, all of those negative side effects and what not. So, my doctor gave me Lo Loestrin... it seems like it's pretty new on the market. Anyways, I'm on my 2nd pack, 2nd week and my period was nowhere to be found. Are missed periods normal on this type of pill? I'm not sure how I feel about it, so I might change to one that gives me a regular period. I guess i'll have to take a pregnancy test just to be sure.. but, not having a period is much more unsettling than I thought it'd be!

Missing periods are incredibly common, especially in the first few months of a new pill, at least from what I've gathered from this thread. When I started on the pill I got my period right at the end of my first placebo week and then didn't get it for another 7 weeks, which freaked me out until I read this thread and everyone confirmed that it's a known side effect. Plus my stressing about it definitely wasn't helping on the missing period front.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

Missing periods are incredibly common, especially in the first few months of a new pill, at least from what I've gathered from this thread. When I started on the pill I got my period right at the end of my first placebo week and then didn't get it for another 7 weeks, which freaked me out until I read this thread and everyone confirmed that it's a known side effect. Plus my stressing about it definitely wasn't helping on the missing period front.

Right on, thanks :) The fact that it's the first month is probably what's weirding me out the most, but hopefully that's all it is.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009

AbandonShip posted:

Hi girls. Just have a quick inquiry- is anyone else here familiar with Lo Loestrin Fe?

I know everyone's bodies are different, but that pill made me have a period every two weeks. I lived with that for three months before I couldn't take it anymore. I wish it would have taken my periods away! My doctor only prescribed it to me because it was cheap. My insurance recently stopped paying for oral contraceptives and this one came with a coupon where it would only be $25 a month. Thankfully we found a better pill that only costs me $9 a month at the Target pharmacy and doesn't give me 2 periods a month!

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

AbandonShip posted:

I was on it for 4 months after having the copper IUD removed and I never had a period on it at all. I went from crazy IUD periods to nothing, not even spotting. I am not staying on it because it killed my sex drive and turned me into a huge bitch. Hopefully you will have better luck.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
I'm getting discouraged; I called my local health unit regarding the Mirena or Paraguard IUD and the nurse I spoke with said they refer them out, but the Dr won't do them unless I've had children. I backed up my reasoning for wanting it with the solid facts found online and this thread that an IUD is safe, but no dice. She said the only chance I could get is asking my family doctor for a referral to one who will, and that'll only happen if my family doc obliges to me having one.

Basically, I'm asking for any other advice other than the facts I already have. I'm in a monogamous relationship, and my work schedule is so hectic I forget to take out/put in a Nuvaring sometimes, even though I have it written down on a calendar, yet unless I have children that I don't want and can't afford, no one will give me one.

eta: If I don't have insurance, can I lie and say I've had children before? Or do they look into my information somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Peacock posted:

eta: If I don't have insurance, can I lie and say I've had children before? Or do they look into my information somehow?

Lol sorry, the human body isn't that durable that it can completely reverse the signs of having a kid.

Find a different clinic. If the doctor isn't comfortable with it, then that's really it unless you get a referral.

• Locked thread