Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
New YOB rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabsworth
Feb 20, 2011

by T. Mascis
I apologize for making an "i got my tickets" post. but I loving got my tickets to Boris this fall (Madison, WI show) and I am so loving pumped that you mine as well call me the HunchBLACK of Notre DOOM.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
People in this thread like bands right?

quote:

9/6/2011 Kings Barcade – Raleigh, NC
9/7/2011 Sonar – Baltimore, MD
9/8/2011 Strange Matter – Richmond, VA
9/9/2011 North Star Bar – Philadelphia, PA (no Saviours)
9/10/2011 Europa – Brooklyn, NY w/ Oxbow (no Saviours)
9/11/2011 Middle East Downstairs – Cambridge, MA
9/13/2011 Lee’s Place – Toronto, ON
9/14/2011 Montage Music Hall – Rochester, NY
9/15/2011 Outland Live – Columbus, OH
9/16/2011 The Pyramid Scheme – Grand Rapids, MI
9/17/2011 Reggie’s Rock Club – Chicago, IL
9/18/2011 Upfront & Company – Marquette, MI
9/19/2011 Triple Rock Social Club – Minneapolis, MN
9/20/2011 Rock Island Brewing Company – Rock Island, IL
9/23/2011 Larimer Lounge – Denver, CO
9/24/2011 Burt’s Tiki Lounge – Salt Lake City, UT
9/26/2011 The Highline – Seattle, WA
9/27/2011 Rickshaw Theatre – Vancouver, BC
9/28/2011 Branx – Portland, OR
9/29/2011 The Independent – San Francisco, CA
10/1/2011 Soda Bar – San Diego, CA
10/2/2011 Key Club – West Hollywood, CA
10/4/2011 Lanchpad – Albuquerque, NM
10/6/2011 Emo’s – Austin, TX
10/7/2011 Fitzgerald’s – Houston, TX
10/8/2011 Siberia – New Orleans, LA
10/9/2011 The Earl – Atlanta, GA
10/10/2011 New Earth Music Hall – Athens, GA
10/11/2011 Engine Room – Tallahassee, FL
10/12/2011 The Orpheum – Tampa, FL
10/14/2011 The Jinx – Savannah, GA

Gonna have to hit up the Toronto show I think.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Rosetta is good stuff. Their guitar player is my Amp tech. Which has currently left me sans one of my heads while they tour Europe.

Big fan of Panopticon, Oceanic and Wavering Radiant from isis.

That's awesome, I met him once at a show in Denver and we just talked shop about amps and about how he was jumping ship from his job at Penn to do the tech thing full time. I later ended up buying a bunch of his gear like an LPB2ube and some speakers. My pedal chain is basically cribbed from his blog.

Dyna Soar posted:

New YOB rules.

This is truth. I love how the last tracks of each new YOB album end up being dreamy, drifting preludes to the crushing finale.

shiatza
May 15, 2005

shiatza fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

New YOB rules.

Yeah I'm pretty much gay for Mike Scheidt right about now, except Stevie Floyd's holding me back from a full-on flame-out.

I also liked the (I think) very last two Isis songs that were on the split with Melvins a bunch.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Velocirocktor posted:

Going to be at that Virginia show, gently caress yeah.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Velocirocktor posted:

gently caress yeah! I've seen Bison at Wreck Room before, but Weedeater and Saviours will be a show not to loving miss! Thanks for the heads up!

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

plester1 posted:

My pedal chain is basically cribbed from his blog.

Blog address?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bondage posted:

Blog address?

http://www.anchorstates.net/

edit: Pedalboard post is here

plester1 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 20, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Shot pictures at the YOB show in Raleigh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantuten/sets/72157627236943374/

edit-- Stevie Floyd

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

New YOB rules.

See, I keep hearing this. Where can I find the album, I'm in sunny ole NZ so I don't think record store down here will have it.
Can't find a Bandcamp, just a MySpace that has some tracks glued to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

King Faraday posted:

See, I keep hearing this. Where can I find the album, I'm in sunny ole NZ so I don't think record store down here will have it.

It's not "out" until August :ssh:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

King Faraday posted:

Internet leakage.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I just found out that YOB song at the show I couldn't identify was the title track ATMA, not ether. So yeah, anyone still waiting for a show will probably get 2 new songs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They're selling it on tour too. Just the CD though, not the LP :(

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

QPZIL posted:

They're selling it on tour too. Just the CD though, not the LP :(

Wait really? I didn't notice it at the Le Poisson Rouge show, but I wasn't really looking at the CDs either. drat, guess I'll have to wait a while then.

E:\/\/\/ ffffuuuuck. I'm kicking myself for totally missing that. I could barely hear what Mike was saying thanks to that stupid cellphone interference his amps were picking up, and I guess I missed the most important thing :-(

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Gasmask posted:

Wait really? I didn't notice it at the Le Poisson Rouge show, but I wasn't really looking at the CDs either. drat, guess I'll have to wait a while then.

I would have totally missed it too if Mike Scheidt hadn't said "here's a track from our new album, which we're selling at the merch table a month early," haha.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

GASP.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

QPZIL posted:

Shot pictures at the YOB show in Raleigh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantuten/sets/72157627236943374/

edit-- Stevie Floyd

Great pics! It's funny I couldn't make out the guitar inlay design and I was standing literally right in front of him. Anyone know what's up with his guitar, is it a custom? If you know about how he tunes that would great to here about to.

Nice meeting you Ian in my awkward hello from the internet way!

Somehow I had picked up that they were traveling with the new album. So I snatched that up while Dark Castle was still playing. They had a pretty cool shirt with them that I hadn't seen before with a dude that appears to be self flagellating.

edit: excellent show by the way even though the vocals were hardly audible down front. I have no idea now the mix turned out through the PA. That was the most excited I had been about a show in a long long time.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 20, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Nice meeting you Ian in my awkward hello from the internet way!

Somehow I had picked up that they were traveling with the new album. So I snatched that up while Dark Castle was still playing. They had a pretty cool shirt with them that I hadn't seen before with a dude that appears to be self flagellating.

edit: excellent show by the way even though the vocals were hardly audible down front. I have no idea now the mix turned out through the PA. That was the most excited I had been about a show in a long long time.

You too!

I picked up that shirt and one of the Dark Castle shirts. After I ran out of film I went to the back of the room and the sound was really good and full back there. Less crushing guitar and more full band/vocals. Good sound at King's for sure.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Great pics! It's funny I couldn't make out the guitar inlay design and I was standing literally right in front of him. Anyone know what's up with his guitar, is it a custom? If you know about how he tunes that would great to here about to.

Both Mike Scheidt and Stevie Floyd were using custom Monson guitars.

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

I'd add Transmission0 to the bands that have already been mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sKmHGKOD60

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
Cool. I'll check all this stuff out.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

plester1 posted:

Both Mike Scheidt and Stevie Floyd were using custom Monson guitars.

Nate from US Christmas does too.

This was like a Monson showcase tour. They played with Indian in Chicago, and Will plays one too.

EDIT: Mike tunes to some form of A tuning, whether it is Standard/Drop/Open...no clue.

ethan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 21, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I saw Weedeater live with Zoroaster back in Marchish, they loving ruled but I was way too drunk and stood outside for most of the set bullshitting with the girl from Samothrace. Stoked to see them again, especially since this time I'll try to be inside for most of the set. Helps that the Highline is within stumbling distance of my apartment...

Are there any other Seattle doom goons?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I'm still pretty new to the stoner/sludge scene and I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I primarily listen to the more 'rock' side of the genre, I love bands like Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Dozer, Priestess, Truckfighters, Unida and old Monster Magnet before they started sucking balls. I've started listening to bands like Sleep and Electric Wizard but they aren't the type of bands I can just throw a song on and it will be done in five minutes, I like to be able to listen to the whole album at once to get the full 'feel' so they don't get as much play time. Neurosis for some reason is the only sludge band I've heard that I've really gotten into, I don't really know why.

What else should I check out? I'm not a fan of the doom or drone bands, but I'd like to find more bands like the ones I've listed. Regrettably I'm the only one of my friends who's into this sort of music, so it's hard to get quality advice.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Dixie Witch. One of my favorites. May be a little Southern / Road Rock-y for you, but give them a shot. Smoke and Mirrors is a good shot, followed by One Bird, Two Stones. First album is good, but more drawn out and not mixed as well.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Velocirocktor posted:

Sweet, I've been hoping to see Weedeater for a while but they always seem to open for bands that I don't care for. I'll be at the Vancouver show for sure.

Bison have Matt from Haggatha/Pride Tiger/Goatsblood drumming for them now, and he's a great fit. I just caught them in Victoria last weekend and they played a great set.

ethan posted:

EDIT: Mike tunes to some form of A tuning, whether it is Standard/Drop/Open...no clue.

Standard A, I believe. Even though he's using baritone strings, you can hear them "flop" quite a bit on their older stuff when he was still using a Les Paul.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

I'm still pretty new to the stoner/sludge scene and I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I primarily listen to the more 'rock' side of the genre, I love bands like Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Dozer, Priestess, Truckfighters, Unida and old Monster Magnet before they started sucking balls. I've started listening to bands like Sleep and Electric Wizard but they aren't the type of bands I can just throw a song on and it will be done in five minutes, I like to be able to listen to the whole album at once to get the full 'feel' so they don't get as much play time. Neurosis for some reason is the only sludge band I've heard that I've really gotten into, I don't really know why.

What else should I check out? I'm not a fan of the doom or drone bands, but I'd like to find more bands like the ones I've listed. Regrettably I'm the only one of my friends who's into this sort of music, so it's hard to get quality advice.

See the first post.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

Standard A, I believe. Even though he's using baritone strings, you can hear them "flop" quite a bit on their older stuff when he was still using a Les Paul.

I've been covering a bunch of YOB lately and i've found using a 7-string works okay. You can always tune the guitar down a whole step to match his (I always thought he used a drop-a, but it could be standard a). He uses 2 non master volume Marshalls, right? They had no logo I could see at the show, but they looked like older Marshalls.

E: anyone who has the new album (non-leak cd version): does it have no high end like the Prepare The Ground 'exclusive'? I assumed that was some sort of anti-piracy measure, but I want to know for sure. I like the song itself, but the recording sounds terrible, and knowing YOBs previous releases I'd hope it's not the final version.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 21, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

rxcowboy posted:

What else should I check out?

I think you would probably like Wo Fat. Their album "The Gathering Dark" got me hooked.

Juaguocio posted:

What's different about the setup he plays now that minimizes the flop? Higher action? It seems like you would have to have more tension but I don't understand how that works without changing the pitch.

The Gasmask posted:

E: anyone who has the new album (non-leak cd version): does it have no high end like the Prepare The Ground 'exclusive'? I assumed that was some sort of anti-piracy measure, but I want to know for sure. I like the song itself, but the recording sounds terrible, and knowing YOBs previous releases I'd hope it's not the final version.

I've only been able to listen to it once and that was the day after my ears got the YOB live treatment but it does seem that the guitar sound has a lot less high end than most of their other albums. It almost has the "Elaborations of Carbon" sound. I don't think it sounds bad, just a touch different than the most of the others. I'll be able to make a better comparison when I get back home next week.

Those amps did look like Marshalls, I assumed they were and I thought I even saw the Marshall logo. He had them sitting to the right of his stack on the floor.

Edit: you can see them in this pic QPZIL took during the Dark Castle set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantuten/5956168217/in/set-72157627236943374

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 21, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Those amps did look like Marshalls, I assumed they were and I thought I even saw the Marshall logo. He had them sitting to the right of his stack on the floor.

They definitely had the Black/Gold Marshall color scheme, and the knobs definitely look Marshall-y.

I'm curious what Stevie tunes to - she gets some really cool/weird chord sounds.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What's different about the setup he plays now that minimizes the flop? Higher action? It seems like you would have to have more tension but I don't understand how that works without changing the pitch.

The new guitar probably has a longer scale length than the 24.75" (most) Les Pauls have. In practice it means he can use lighter strings to achieve the same tension. Or the same strings to achieve more tension, less flop. Did that make sense? I'm not quite woken up yet.

Also, in keeping with that topic, someone was asking about guitar setups for doom. I play a Gibson SG (scale length 24.75") tuned to C# standard and I use string sets of .013 to .056 for that.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've only been able to listen to it once and that was the day after my ears got the YOB live treatment but it does seem that the guitar sound has a lot less high end than most of their other albums. It almost has the "Elaborations of Carbon" sound. I don't think it sounds bad, just a touch different than the most of the others. I'll be able to make a better comparison when I get back home next week.
I agree, it definitely sounds like a deliberate artistic choice for the overall tone of the album. I'm really enjoying it so far ( :siren: The new YOB album is very good, least surprising news ever :siren: ) but a change in tone at least lets it stick out in the discography a bit. I was quite taken aback by it because it seems like YOB's production gets crisper by the album, but after giving it a few listens I'm enjoying it just as much as any other of their albums.

I'm seriously so jealous of all you fuckers getting to see them live.

Re: the strings. Sorry if this is a stupidly obvious answer but wouldn't simply replacing the string with a heavier gauge increase the tension? I'm not exactly a guitar tech so I'd like to be corrected if not. I put 60-13s in my guitar recently and tuned it into drop Ab (sort of: Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb, like a 7-string without the bottom string) but could probably do with a little less flop too.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the guitar tech answers. The lengthening of the scale deal makes sense and thinking back it's quite obvious those Monson guitars at the show were really long comparatively.

As for the YOB's new album sound, what struck me is that the guitar tone I heard live is pretty much what is on the Album, very thick and mid-rangey.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
New Hail!Hornet rules.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Dyna Soar posted:

New YOB rules.

It's ashame they are boring as all hell live. Same tempo, same volume, no dynamics. Fell asleep at the bar.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

plester1 posted:

That's awesome, I met him once at a show in Denver and we just talked shop about amps and about how he was jumping ship from his job at Penn to do the tech thing full time. I later ended up buying a bunch of his gear like an LPB2ube and some speakers. My pedal chain is basically cribbed from his blog.

Nice. He's a real good dude, and is one of the few people who actually knows his poo poo in the area. Very honest, and fair.

He's gonna have to rebuild my JCM 900 that I blew up but it's a 20 year old head, and I love the sound so I'm gonna dump a ton of money into it. (new chips, bigger transformer, new tubes, etc). Can't wait to play it again as I love that thing, but can't complain about having a Model T as my alternate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Re: the strings. Sorry if this is a stupidly obvious answer but wouldn't simply replacing the string with a heavier gauge increase the tension? I'm not exactly a guitar tech so I'd like to be corrected if not. I put 60-13s in my guitar recently and tuned it into drop Ab (sort of: Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb, like a 7-string without the bottom string) but could probably do with a little less flop too.

Yeah, it would. But if your guitar was a baritone with a scale length of like 27" to 30" ("normal" guitars have a scale length of 24.75" or 25.5"), you could have the same tuning but with both lighter strings AND less flop.

Edit: I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but this year's Tuska Open Air is pretty cool doom/sludge/stoner -wise. Off the top of my head I can think of at least Electric Wizard, Jex Thoth, Spiritual Beggars, Hooded Menace and Fleshpress who will be playing. Is anyone else going besides me?

Oh, and I'm totally bummed that the YOB/Dark Castle European tour swings by Sweden (iirc) but doesn't come to Finland.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 21, 2011