Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Its never been in production in the states :(

You guys missed out, the "noise" they make is amazing. I say "noise" because you sort of feel it rather than hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

frozenphil posted:

I'm looking to do the exact same thing soon, so I'm interested in your thoughts on the transition while it is still fresh for you.

Took me a little while to get used to it. I'm still not 100% comfortable on it like I was with my 250. Taking turns is much, much different than it was on the 250. The speed difference is night and day. I thought the 250 was quick, since it was my first bike, but no it wasn't quick at all. I'm pretty sure the first few times I gave it a decent amount of gas I actually slid backwards on the seat from not being ready for it haha. Then the first time I twisted a lot harder and the front wheel came off the ground, well, it was pretty sweet.

Overall I'm very happy I started with the 250, but the difference is unbelievable. In no way does the 250 compare to the 636 at all. On the 636 I can merge onto the freeway doing 70 and still be in 1st gear, on the 250 I'd be in 5th and struggling. The riding position wasn't as bad of a change as I was expecting it to be, although my wrists are still trying to get used to it. Oh, but backing out of a parking spot while on the 636 pretty much sucks.

SaucyPants posted:

it might be a repainted 06 SE, the forks on mine are not gold and that doesn't look like the stock Kawi blue

Yep, they are the stock forks. It has just been fully repainted. Notice the color of the brakes as well.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 20, 2011

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Its never been in production in the states :(

They did sell it in Canada for a few years but not for the past couple, far as I know.

SaucyPants posted:

there is one at blackfoot

Calgary, or is there another blackfoot?

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Phy posted:

They did sell it in Canada for a few years but not for the past couple, far as I know.

Calgary, or is there another blackfoot?

Calgary yes
http://www.blackfootonline.com/moto_productdetail.php?id=2669

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Awesome only I don't think those are in the States beaten :(

Maybe some Variant of the Ducati Monster would be cool.

I think i'll just keep the GS500 as a cheap commuter till it blows up, I really like the Ninja 650r.

And yeah I rode the GSX-R 1k to work and back and holy gently caress it flies! Theres just a poo poo eating grin on your face every time you whack the throttle open, any gear, and it just goes. Handles great too, I might soften up the front and rear a little bit, it's a bit rough ride wise from the guy I bought it from. Also the dunlop Q2 tires definitely rock, the whole bike inspired a lot of confidence. It makes a cool little snarl every time you go from closed throttle to open.

It'll be interesting to hop back onto the 636 and ride that, it's by no means slow at all, quite fast actually, but it's almost like a newbie bike to me now in terms of the difference between using the throttle on a 600 vs a 1000. It was really weird splitting lanes a bit on the GSX-R because you only need to twist the throttle about 1mm to keep it going at a steady pace and not fly through. I think I have the suspension just right on the 636. Handling wise they're both very sharp and precise, and change direction easily, I rather like the narrower tank and wider clipons on the 636 however.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You guys missed out, the "noise" they make is amazing. I say "noise" because you sort of feel it rather than hear it.

It's the Yamaharley! :v:

(Yes, I want an MT01)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

For reals. Myself, Jaz, upsidedown and Haikeeba were at PITS a couple of weeks back and we all shut up when an MT-01 started up nearby.

I was hoping we'd get to hear the Diavel with Termis on it get started before we left, but no. :(

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Went down to Moogerah dam last weekend, a good hour and a half south of brissie along the cunningham highway, big open spaces and bugs impacting against your helmet.
Rained all saturday and i feared we would have to ride home in the wet. But Sunday cleared up and i got these great shots. Went canoeing about the lake and had dinner at the local pub.
The ER5 didnt mind having all the gear strapped to it. Had a joyous ride back sunday arvo only to get flashed by a speed camera while overtaking some schmuck, it put a dampener on things until i remembered... no front numberplate.
:siren: :laugh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
x-post from cycle pics

Yea I bought another Honda.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
:swoon:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

OneOverZero posted:

:swoon::hf::swoon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SaucyPants posted:

Calgary yes

Awesome, let me know if you want to go riding sometime

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Phy posted:

Awesome, let me know if you want to go riding sometime

I am actually in Regina, but I might be riding to or through Calgary this summer, if so I will let you know.

MrGonzoa
Oct 4, 2009
First post on SA. :cheers: Want to thank you guys for being awesome here in Cycle Asylum.

I just got given this Yamaha Zeal 91 as my first bike. Learning to ride has been great fun but still got plenty of experiences to go!
Bike needs a service, sounds terrible when its starts and doesnt idle properly. SA has inspired me to learn to take it apart and maintain it myelf :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

infraboy posted:

I don't think Honda or Yamaha make a modern bike with a twin engine that isn't a cruiser do they?

They both have adventure bikes with twins.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Africa Twin and Super Ténéré? Also the TDM if Yamaha still makes them?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Ola posted:

They both have adventure bikes with twins.

niethan posted:

Africa Twin and Super Ténéré? Also the TDM if Yamaha still makes them?

And mine:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the TDM has been phased out. Africa Twin as well. Honda currently has (on the Norwegian amrket anyway) two adventure twins, Transalp (middleweight) and Varadero (1000cc).

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ola posted:

I think the TDM has been phased out. Africa Twin as well. Honda currently has (on the Norwegian amrket anyway) two adventure twins, Transalp (middleweight) and Varadero (1000cc).

We don't get either of those but we do get the loving Dullville. Honda's two-wheeled offerings are getting as boring as their four-wheeled ones.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

OneOverZero posted:

Bucephalus posted:

:swoon::hf::swoon:

:swoon::hf::swoon::hf::swoon:

MrGonzoa posted:

First post on SA. :cheers: Want to thank you guys for being awesome here in Cycle Asylum.

WELCOME!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrGonzoa posted:

I just got given this Yamaha Zeal 91 as my first bike. Learning to ride has been great fun but still got plenty of experiences to go!
Bike needs a service, sounds terrible when its starts and doesnt idle properly. SA has inspired me to learn to take it apart and maintain it myelf :)

4 cylinder 250, awesome. Good luck with your fixup, start a thread with pictures and questions and we'll help you get it sorted out. :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You can still buy the TDM. :)

Let's make a list, because I have too much time on my hands! Current 2 cylinder offerings (that isn't a cruiser):

Aprilia:
- Dorsoduro 1200
- Dorsoduro 750
- Shiver 750
- Mana 850

Bimota:
- DB7
- DB6
- DB5
- Tesi 3D

BMW:
- HP2
- F 650 GS
- F 800 GS
- R 1200 GS
- F 800 ST
- R 1200 RT
- F 800 R
- R 1200 R

Ducati:
- Diavel
- Hypermotard 796
- Hypermotard 1100
- Monster 696
- Monster 796
- Monster 1100
- Multistrada 1200
- Streetfighter
- Superbike 848
- Superbike 1198

Erik Buell Racing (Soonish):
- 1190RS

Harley:
- XR1200

Honda:
- NT700V deauville
- DN-01
- XL1000V Varadero
- XL700V Transalp

Husqvarna:
- Nuda 900R

Hyosung:
- GT650
- GT250R

Kawasaki:
- Ninja 250R
- Ninja 650R
- ER-6n
- Versys

KTM:
- 990 SMR
- 990 Adventure
- 990 Superduke
- RC8

Moto Guzzi:
- V7
- Griso
- 1200 Sport
- Stelvio
- Norge
- MGS-01

Moto Morini:
- 9 1/2
- 1200 Sport
- Corsaro
- Gran Passo
- Scrambler

Suzuki:
- V-Strom 650
- Gladius
- Burgman 650
- GS500F

Triumph:
- Bonneville
- Thruxton
- scrambler

Yamaha:
- TDM900
- MT01
- XT1200Z Super Ténéré

Edit: you can still buy GS500 in the US? huh.

karms fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 23, 2011

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Harley -
XR-1200

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I love what I started here, I was thinking just more like a relatively fuel efficient but fairly powerful commuter bike, to me the 650r is pretty perfect for that, or the SV650, but I was thinking something from Yamaha or Honda.

I forgot about the VFR! I think that'll replace the GS500 someday, VTECKS 2002+ or Gear Driven Cams! 98-2001.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Triumph-
Scrambler

Suzuki-
GS500F

Hyosung-
GT250R

(Soonish) Erik Buell Racing-
1190RS

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Endless Mike posted:

Hyosung-
GT250R

I would love for someone in CA to own one of these and give us a full ownership report. Motor Cyclist said it was "okay", but that doesn't carry much weight with me. (I'm glad my free sub ran out. Z3n > Ari Henning.)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

I would love for someone in CA to own one of these and give us a full ownership report. Motor Cyclist said it was "okay", but that doesn't carry much weight with me. (I'm glad my free sub ran out. Z3n > Ari Henning.)

I've actually met and rode on the track with Ari Henning. Before he was an Editor and all...back when I had the basking shark config on the SV. He told me I should go racing :3:

Super nice guy.

I can't bring myself to buy a Hyosung though. Maybe it I found one for super cheap, running, with a clean and clear title, and all I needed to do was clean it up and flip it. Maybe. Probably not though.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

I saw it parked out back. Looked like it would fall apart just by looking at it.

I really need to start hanging out with the MC guys more so I can get test rides.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

I've actually met and rode on the track with Ari Henning. Before he was an Editor and all...back when I had the basking shark config on the SV. He told me I should go racing :3:

Super nice guy.

Huh, he comes off (to me) as a douche in print. His "pouty bad-boy" headshot didn't help, either. Take off the shades and smile.

What really did it for me was the (Tim Carrithers?) columns that sounded like the author was on a whiskey-and-weed bender (reliving his 1970s glory days) and had fuckall to do with bikes. Kinda like a lobotomized HST.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Latest iteration of my biking lunacy.

'05 Ninja 636 with 11.5k miles, Jardine slip-on and Power Commander.

edit: bettah pic

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 24, 2011

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

I don't think I've posted mine yet and I had the opportunity to take some pictures while white-knuckling it down a very loosely packed dirt road.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

is this the third new 05-06 zx6 this year? popular bike

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bought this cute little biddy tonight from a coworker for a dime. It's in great condition, not a spot of rust anywhere, just needs new rubber bits, a cleaning, a battery that's charged and someone to kick it.

Going to teach the lady how to ride on it and then flip it

1975 CB125S

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Spiffness posted:

Bought this cute little biddy tonight from a coworker for a dime. It's in great condition, not a spot of rust anywhere, just needs new rubber bits, a cleaning, a battery that's charged and someone to kick it.

1975 CB125S

hopefully she doesn't flip it first.

that's awesome!! I've been looking for one to teach my clam to ride as well.

I might wind up buying a rusted out ct-70 and putting a motor and suspension from a 125 on it though.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

the walkin dude posted:

Jesus, how many bikes have you owned in the last 2 years?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I thought it was 9. My equally feverish honey on the Ninja below corrected me; it's my 8th. :ninja:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Spiffness posted:

1975 CB125S

Flip it to me ahahahahahahhaah such an awesome bike

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Flip it to me ahahahahahahhaah such an awesome bike

Do a fly and ride, seattle to the bay. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's just so stylish and cute, it's really hard to hate on a teeny CB with disk brakes and sporting pretentions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Clank posted:

I don't think I've posted mine yet and I had the opportunity to take some pictures while white-knuckling it down a very loosely packed dirt road.

How do you like that exhaust?