Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Professorbx posted:

Dude is in no way the father of controllerism. Cats like Moldover were doing it for years before. As for the S4, it takes a lot of people to design a product. I don't think I am bugged by him saying he designed it (he doesn't overtly state it), but he never corrects anyone either, which is in bad form when you look at the sheer amount of talent at NI who helped make it happen.

I'm not sure the history of controllerism, just going by what I've read. And I didn't mean to say he was the only one to design the S4, he just helped make it. He did design the custom mapping on the VCI-100 which has a lot of the same features as the S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Firaga posted:

I'm not sure the history of controllerism, just going by what I've read. And I didn't mean to say he was the only one to design the S4, he just helped make it. He did design the custom mapping on the VCI-100 which has a lot of the same features as the S4.

Haha, sorry if it came off as sniping at you. I can't take away from what the guy did-he turned the VCI-100 around from a controller that tanked to a product that sold bucketloads. As for the mapping features making it though, the only things that really made it were the jog fx things, and there were other cats doing it to.

I think it comes down to that, really, anyone who takes total credit for a product needs to check themselves. Product development is a large machine, and when you are at his level (re:outside the company), there is only so much cred you can claim before it becomes a farce. There are exceptions (he did have the original Dicer idea), but even then, he didn't make it happen, and has never given cred to anyone else but himself.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Professorbx posted:

Haha, sorry if it came off as sniping at you. I can't take away from what the guy did-he turned the VCI-100 around from a controller that tanked to a product that sold bucketloads. As for the mapping features making it though, the only things that really made it were the jog fx things, and there were other cats doing it to.

I think it comes down to that, really, anyone who takes total credit for a product needs to check themselves. Product development is a large machine, and when you are at his level (re:outside the company), there is only so much cred you can claim before it becomes a farce. There are exceptions (he did have the original Dicer idea), but even then, he didn't make it happen, and has never given cred to anyone else but himself.

Interesting to know. Ego or not the guy sold me my VCI-100 and he makes great instructional videos, so more power to him.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So, I'm liking this new Serato Itch 2.0 beta. The feel is a lot nicer and more modern looking, and I like all the new display options. I'm not much for fancy DJing, so I wasn't really need nor expecting anything too crazy. I'm just wondering about the SP-6. Are you supposed to only be able to trigger it by using the keyboard? Or do they plan/already have incorporated using external midi controllers to use with that? It would be loving awesome if I could use my LPD8 to work the sample player alongside my NS7, but I'm guessing that that's probably not the case.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Not at the moment, I think they're planning on adding that in the next version. There's been a lot of complaints that you have to use the keyboard for the sampler but is it really that big of a deal? If you hate using your laptop don't use one for djing in the first place. (not directed at you the dark wind, just the whiners in general)

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 20, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'd just like to see more MIDI compatibility with Itch in general. I feel like once that happens it's gonna be a much bigger threat to Traktor than in its current state. I don't mind using the keyboard, but it'd definitely be nice to be able to use my LPD8 and a bunch of other stuff in conjunction with Itch.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

The Dark Wind posted:

I'd just like to see more MIDI compatibility with Itch in general. I feel like once that happens it's gonna be a much bigger threat to Traktor than in its current state. I don't mind using the keyboard, but it'd definitely be nice to be able to use my LPD8 and a bunch of other stuff in conjunction with Itch.

With Bomes you can do a re-map to keystrokes. :)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

oh god! i lucked into a gig at a club that's waay out of my league. i'm nervous and excited but i don't even know what kind of advice to ask for

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Have fun, and congrats

BTW, as long as you can beatmatch you are better than 90% of the DJs i have seen at the "big" or superclubs

Assuming you are opening dont play any bangers (or whatever you want to call them), just set the mood for the opener..

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mitztronic posted:

Have fun, and congrats

BTW, as long as you can beatmatch you are better than 90% of the DJs i have seen at the "big" or superclubs

Assuming you are opening dont play any bangers (or whatever you want to call them), just set the mood for the opener..

thanks. thing is, the gig fell into my lap and it's a cross-genre booking. At least one of the bands is dreampop-style stuff, and I do underground hip-hop. I don't even have enough non-hiphop records to do a different kind of set.

oh well, i'll just keep it relaxed. people like different kinds of music these days. it's a paycheck if nothing else.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Not sure if this even applies to you, but being confident or faking it can mean a lot... if you look like you're supposed to be behind the decks, are having a good time, don't flip out when you trainwreck, people will be way more into it. It's like, Skrillex isn't actually doing too much when he flips out over turning a knob on his controller, but people love that poo poo... not that you have to emulate Skrillex, but the idea of being kind of a performer as opposed to just a dude playing records can work well.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

That Wicked Walrus posted:

Not sure if this even applies to you, but being confident or faking it can mean a lot... if you look like you're supposed to be behind the decks, are having a good time, don't flip out when you trainwreck, people will be way more into it. It's like, Skrillex isn't actually doing too much when he flips out over turning a knob on his controller, but people love that poo poo... not that you have to emulate Skrillex, but the idea of being kind of a performer as opposed to just a dude playing records can work well.

Good advice. Focus on getting your poo poo right musically and not messing up too badly. Don't be too nervous about transitions being a bit off or not working out exactly the way you planned. If your track selection is decent people will most likely either not hear or not care.

If it's a cross-genre thing it might not be the best idea to only play underground hip-hop though. Mix some poo poo people know or that's in line with the evening in there to keep it going and if you notice the floor doesn't respond to hiphop at all it might be wise to switch to some different stuff. Nothing worse than seeing a dancefloor slowing emptying out and people looking at you like "we don't like this, you suck".

For as far as the Skrillex part goes, I hate it when I see DJ's do that, but that's because we as DJ's know they're not doing anything (interesting) at all and just want to look like loving rockstars. I don't know if you know Surgeon but he looks like he's building a website when DJ-ing, yet delivers the best, most solid techno-sets you'll ever hear. To each his own I guess.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Skrillex was a bad example, and honestly I personally don't care what DJs look like when they're playing as long as the music is awesome, but that said I DO think a bit of corny "performing" can be a good thing depending on the crowd/type of party. I'm for sure not a huge fan of Skrillex / the rockstar DJ thing, but I think you can learn a bit from them. I may be coming from a different place here as I mostly do rap/party music at bars as opposed to techno, but I think at least looking like you're not bored as gently caress behind the decks can have a positive effect on the party.

That Wicked Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 21, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

For crowds that may not be as familiar with you personally, looking like you are having fun definitely helps

Of course, I usually have friends at gigs when I play so that makes it easier. Try and con some of your friends to be there for moral support if you can

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thanks for the advice guys! "looking like i'm having fun" is actually the hardest part for me. whenever i'm having a blast i just look like i'm really concentrating.

thing is, i'm not sure if i want people to dance. i might just go all-instrumentals and breaks. the bands i'm supporting are danceable, but not exactly dance music. i don't want to insult them or subtract from their presence by playing heavy poo poo, since they're giving me exposure and money in my pocket.

And i got into this DJ thing saying i'd never compromise my musical taste one bit :/

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mescal posted:

thanks for the advice guys! "looking like i'm having fun" is actually the hardest part for me. whenever i'm having a blast i just look like i'm really concentrating.

thing is, i'm not sure if i want people to dance. i might just go all-instrumentals and breaks. the bands i'm supporting are danceable, but not exactly dance music. i don't want to insult them or subtract from their presence by playing heavy poo poo, since they're giving me exposure and money in my pocket.

And i got into this DJ thing saying i'd never compromise my musical taste one bit :/

Don't see it as compromising. You DJ because it's fun and you're still going to have fun behind the decks no matter what you're playing. It's still your own music, it's not like somebody is like "here is a cd with top40 only play this". Even if it gets to that point, you can still mess around with the tracks. Who cares if nobody knows you're layering loops or using effects or samples, if people like it and you're having fun doing it then mission accomplished. Plus you're getting paid to do something you love, most people can't say that.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Mescal posted:

Oh god edit it out, save us all...

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cowboy. posted:

Oh god edit it out, save us all...

i don't know what you mean cowboy

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Mescal posted:

i don't know what you mean cowboy

Someone will inevitably come in and say that playing pop records for money is okay and then someone else will say it's selling out and not "real DJing" and then we have a page or two of back and forth along those lines. It's gonna be great.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! I find that Boston's scene is kinda unusual, since the EDM community is rather small and close knit, so when you go to a show, even as early as like 9:30 PM or so, there's already a pretty drat good amount of people there that all just want to start dancing like crazy. I've almost never seen a real "opening" DJ set, since the majority of the time as soon as I show up they're already starting to play some pretty loud and crazy stuff, and that kind of energy just keeps going and never stops until 2:00 AM or so. Most of that kind of stuff probably wouldn't fly anywhere else. Eitherway, I've always known not to play the crazy popular bangers as an opening DJ and leave that for the headliner, but at the same time I had been wondering if I should just stick to one subgenre, or venture out into related subgenres and kind of just build the energy using tracks from various different places, but the above advice pretty much completely answered that question.

where the gently caress in boston are you because i want this when i visit boston :mad:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Longtiem posted:

where the gently caress in boston are you because i want this when i visit boston :mad:

Check out the Throwed event in Boston, it's every Tuesday night at the Middle East downstairs. Also check out the Phoenix Landing, they have specialty electronic music shows every day. Thursdays is drum and bass, which is awesome. Someone actually mentioned Throwed earlier, I think in either this thread or the House thread in the main ML forum. I think he works for them or is a promoter or something. But yeah, if you ever come by the area, check it out, it's usually a wild night.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

Check out the Throwed event in Boston, it's every Tuesday night at the Middle East downstairs. Also check out the Phoenix Landing, they have specialty electronic music shows every day. Thursdays is drum and bass, which is awesome. Someone actually mentioned Throwed earlier, I think in either this thread or the House thread in the main ML forum. I think he works for them or is a promoter or something. But yeah, if you ever come by the area, check it out, it's usually a wild night.

why tuesdays why o god in heaven tuesdays

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
So I just got my first real gig, DJing an LGBT charity event... for five hours o_o

This is going to be an amazing experience. And afterwards, I will sit down forever.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Chitin posted:

So I just got my first real gig, DJing an LGBT charity event... for five hours o_o

This is going to be an amazing experience. And afterwards, I will sit down forever.

Congrats! 5 hours isn't that big of a deal once you get used to DJing, but it might be a tough place to start. Make sure you bring a lot more music than you think you'll need, and make sure you don't blow all your big tracks early. With a set like that, you can craft the evening pretty well. Figure out 1-2 anchor tracks in advance for each hour that will set the mood and that you can use to play off of.

For example:

10PM: That ambient thing with the girl singing and that underworld track
11PM: That trip-hop track and that other trip-hop track
12PM: That really popular techno track with the big kick
1AM: My guaranteed floor-filling banger
2AM: That melancholy house track everyone loves to slow dance to

Twiin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 21, 2011

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Longtiem posted:

why tuesdays why o god in heaven tuesdays

You're in college, you can do it!

BTW how is Atlanta so far this summer?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Twiin posted:

Congrats! 5 hours isn't that big of a deal once you get used to DJing, but it might be a tough place to start. Make sure you bring a lot more music than you think you'll need, and make sure you don't blow all your big tracks early. With a set like that, you can craft the evening pretty well. Figure out 1-2 anchor tracks in advance for each hour that will set the mood and that you can use to play off of.

For example:

10PM: That ambient thing with the girl singing and that underworld track
11PM: That trip-hop track and that other trip-hop track
12PM: That really popular techno track with the big kick
1AM: My guaranteed floor-filling banger
2AM: That melancholy house track everyone loves to slow dance to

This is really great advice, thanks!

Yeah I have a ton of music but I'm hard at work buying more...

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Chitin posted:

This is really great advice, thanks!

Yeah I have a ton of music but I'm hard at work buying more...

I do 5-hour sets regularly, and I usually average about 70-80 tracks a night. I don't ever want to play more than 1/3 of the albums I have with me (it sucks looking through your music and realizing you've played most of it), and if you assume no more than 1 track off an album in a night, that's 225 albums with playable tracks you want with you at a minimum, if you want to be able to spin without getting stressed about not having enough music.

I had closer to 1000 with me, but that's because I had to be able to do it weekly without repeating myself every week.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So I'm playing my first serious bar gig in the middle of August 16. Gonna be playing mostly dubstep, as it's a DnB/dubstep night, and I'm already feeling a little anxious about it. The guy who's running it is having everybody playing on his CDJs and Technics 1200. I personally have never burned a CD for DJing, nor do I own any records, as I've only really mixed exclusively with controllers up to this point. I don't own a Serato Box either (which I'm trying to get). I'll admit my beatmatching skills aren't perfect, so I'm a little worried about this gig. Anyone wanna throw some general pointers, and maybe some specific advice regarding moving from a program like Serato Itch to CDJs? Hell any advice on CDJs in general would be cool. I'm gonna have a couple of chances to mess around with the guy's decks, so I won't be going in completely cold, but I don't want to make an rear end out of myself either, so I want to brush up in these next few weeks' time and get my skills as best as they can. Hell, I'm probably gonna sell the NS7 and get some real decks and an SL2 or something.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

The Dark Wind posted:

Hell, I'm probably gonna sell the NS7 and get some real decks and an SL2 or something.

If you want to make it a little easier on yourself, here's a pro-tip that a lot of big name DJ's use. Put your songs into ableton, and save them at roughly the same BPM. A lot of the big name DJ's will save their songs so they are all at say (130, or for dubstep 140 bpm) so when they load up their songs on the cds, there's very little beatmatching to be done. All you need to do is a little pitchbending to get it lined up.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

So I'm playing my first serious bar gig in the middle of August 16. Gonna be playing mostly dubstep, as it's a DnB/dubstep night, and I'm already feeling a little anxious about it. The guy who's running it is having everybody playing on his CDJs and Technics 1200. I personally have never burned a CD for DJing, nor do I own any records, as I've only really mixed exclusively with controllers up to this point. I don't own a Serato Box either (which I'm trying to get). I'll admit my beatmatching skills aren't perfect, so I'm a little worried about this gig. Anyone wanna throw some general pointers, and maybe some specific advice regarding moving from a program like Serato Itch to CDJs? Hell any advice on CDJs in general would be cool. I'm gonna have a couple of chances to mess around with the guy's decks, so I won't be going in completely cold, but I don't want to make an rear end out of myself either, so I want to brush up in these next few weeks' time and get my skills as best as they can. Hell, I'm probably gonna sell the NS7 and get some real decks and an SL2 or something.

Any reason you can't just plug your laptop into one of the channels on the mixer and use your controller as normal?

This is pretty common.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
For those interested, Delta Funktionen will be doing a live DJ-set on our radioshow in about 30 minutes from now.

Check it out if you feel like it: https://www.xt3radio.nl

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
What do you guys think of the Denon DN-X1600? I'm building a Tractor scratch setup and don't know enough about all the different mixers out there. Any mixer advice in general would be awesome.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey, can one of you guys break down what's going on in the transitions between genres in this mix? I really like what he's doing, but I can't quite pin down exactly how he's going about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOOT6-AQiA&feature=player_embedded#at=2074

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

Hey, can one of you guys break down what's going on in the transitions between genres in this mix? I really like what he's doing, but I can't quite pin down exactly how he's going about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOOT6-AQiA&feature=player_embedded#at=2074

I'm just hearing a lot of slams during the first couple of minutes :confused:

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Pen Expers posted:

What do you guys think of the Denon DN-X1600? I'm building a Tractor scratch setup and don't know enough about all the different mixers out there. Any mixer advice in general would be awesome.

For that amount you can get a Xone:62 which is infinitely better. You can always save up a bit more and get a used DJM-800 in good condition, but since you're using Traktor you can just use the internal effects with an X1 (assuming you're getting one since you're looking at an external mixer). A DJM-700 is within your price range too and it has a dedicated EFX panel.
Personally I'd get the DJM because I like the onboard effects, it's club standard, Im not a fan of the double mids on the Xone and I like the dedicated filter knobs. Although the Xone has amazing filters and audio quality. I would try them both out if I were you, also depends on what you spin I guess.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up Traktor scratch duo 2 for the digital vinyl and don't quite understand how I hook this all together with the mixer since I now have the audio 6 plugged in. I was looking at that 1600 because its capable of controlling traktor software. It appears to have an audio interface built into it though. Would I just route the audio like normal through the mixer then to the audio 6 and then use usb from the mixer to the macbook for midi control of the software? I don't really want to just drop the audio 6 out of there but if it doesn't matter I guess I could just not use it.

I don't think I'd ever need the 6 channels on that Xone:62. That DJM-700 and 800 look like good candidates though.

What about doing a Mackie d.2 Pro and an X1 controller? I guess I could potentially want 4 decks in the future but for now duo only supports 2.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
The Xone has extremely high quality audio, filters, and is built extremely well. The 6 channels are just sort of a bonus. The DJM 700 and 800 are club standard. I don't want to say the Denon sucks because I dont have any personal experience with it but I do know the Xone and the DJM are extremely high quality and are the best you can get. That and you would get familiar with the mixer for when you play out.

You would get a USB controller like the X1 to control Traktor and then wire the TTs and the Mixer through the audio 6. If you want built in Traktor control you can also check out the DJM 900nexus, it's basically an 800 but with built in control. Although its quite a bit more expensive.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Firaga posted:

The Xone has extremely high quality audio, filters, and is built extremely well. The 6 channels are just sort of a bonus. The DJM 700 and 800 are club standard. I don't want to say the Denon sucks because I dont have any personal experience with it but I do know the Xone and the DJM are extremely high quality and are the best you can get. That and you would get familiar with the mixer for when you play out.

Yea that's a good point.

Firaga posted:

You would get a USB controller like the X1 to control Traktor and then wire the TTs and the Mixer through the audio 6. If you want built in Traktor control you can also check out the DJM 900nexus, it's basically an 800 but with built in control. Although its quite a bit more expensive.

Mixer + an X1 sounds like it'll probably be the way to go.

Edit: Also, am I kinda screwed by buying duo instead of pro?

Pen Expers fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 26, 2011

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Pen Expers posted:

Mixer + an X1 sounds like it'll probably be the way to go.

Yeah this way it will be really easy for you to set up at clubs, just bring your control vinyl, your X1, audio 6, and laptop. Pick a channel on the house mixer, and off you go.

Pen Expers posted:

Sorry I can't answer this I just use pro :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Pen Expers posted:

I believe there is an upgrade path there, at least on the software side. Bigger question is whether you will eventually be limited by 6 ins/outs versus 10