Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

godzirraRAWR posted:

Yes :(

Oh goddamnit :(

How long do you think that will last, and why does unrevoked still advertise that it works with all versions of the Evo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Text style should change how your message app looks and font should your font (not sure where font color comes from). I am using the iPhone 4G text app theme right now. It should change pretty much instant. Only thing that requires a reboot (hot boot in this case works) is changing icons.

It is mClock with a themed XML file. Check my post yesterday in the 'Show Off Your Desktop - Android Narcissism' for more information.

Edit:

Here is the link so you don't have to find it. Just get the app and download whatever style (XML file) you want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875280

Thanks a lot!

Does your flip clock flip like it does on the stock Miui one? I'm a sucker for little touches like that.

So I played around with the message app some and I still can't get it themed. I changed text style to the Dark theme and the conversation background changed but my list of messages doesn't. So now I have white text on light background. I even tried a reboot for kicks.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jadeilyn posted:

I'll try this, but I've never used latitude. I thought you had to opt into its features? I just opened it and it's asking me to accept the terms. That's annoying if it just turned itself on without even being activated.

It is opt in but unless you manually sign out of it the app is still collecting location data in case you might want to use it. It doesn't actually share it until you specify though. Just sign in then sign out. Done deal.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Pandora refuses to actually load a song on my ThunderBolt running CM7. It won't load a station or quick mix. I can log in just fine and it looks like it's trying to buffer the song but nothing happens. After about 30 seconds I'll get booted to my playlist selection. If I choose anything, it will load for 2-3 seconds then boot me back again.

I have DroidWall allowing network access for it and LBE PrivacyGuard doing the same.

Any ideas?

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It is opt in but unless you manually sign out of it the app is still collecting location data in case you might want to use it. It doesn't actually share it until you specify though. Just sign in then sign out. Done deal.

Ok, I've both logged out of Latitude after setting it up, and cleared my maps data, and my phone is still not going to sleep when the screen is off, and maps is still using a lot of network and sensor data. Any other ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jadeilyn posted:

Ok, I've both logged out of Latitude after setting it up, and cleared my maps data, and my phone is still not going to sleep when the screen is off, and maps is still using a lot of network and sensor data. Any other ideas?
Can you uninstall Maps? Not permanently, but just to see if the wakelock issue still continues.

I don't think Maps or Latitude is the issue (although I don't know much about the Evo or MIUI so I'm just shooting from the hip here).

If the wakelock persists with Maps uninstalled, I'd say the next step would be to maybe do a logcat over a period of time when the phone is supposed to be asleep.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm about to root my gf's HTC Aria and put CM7 on it. What's the best method of doing this? There are a few different walkthroughs online.

Zamo
May 3, 2009
I'm planning on installing CM7 on my Desire HD, and I had a question.

I currently have, what I think is regional(South African) firmware, version 1.38.421.1 on my phone. The problem is that all guides speak about having to have a firmware no higher than 1.34. Visionary + works fine and I currently have temp root. Should I ignore the sections of the guide below mentioning downgrades, since I have temp root or will that leave a possibility of bricking?

The guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

Please excuse my formatting (or lack thereof) I'm posting this from my phone.

Zamo fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 21, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zamo posted:

I'm planning on installing CM7 on my Desire HD, and I had a question.

I currently have, what I think is regional(South African) firmware, version 1.38.421.1 on my phone. The problem is that all guides speak about having to have a firmware no higher than 1.34. Visionary + works fine and I currently have temp root. Should I ignore the sections of the guide below mentioning downgrades, since I have temp root or will that leave a possibility of bricking?

The guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

Please excuse my formatting (or lack thereof) I'm posting this from my phone.
Visionary has to be uninstalled to follow that guide so I don't know if the fact that it works is an indication that you're fine. Even so I get the impression that the firmware that broke the method was 1.72 which is pretty far past the one you have.

I also don't know where it fails in the process if you're past that firmware, but it seems like if you try to run gfree without the correct one that the process doesn't do anything except not work.

tl;dr: Try without and it shouldn't gently caress anything up if you do need to downgrade.

Zamo
May 3, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Visionary has to be uninstalled to follow that guide so I don't know if the fact that it works is an indication that you're fine. Even so I get the impression that the firmware that broke the method was 1.72 which is pretty far past the one you have.

I also don't know where it fails in the process if you're past that firmware, but it seems like if you try to run gfree without the correct one that the process doesn't do anything except not work.

tl;dr: Try without and it shouldn't gently caress anything up if you do need to downgrade.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot later tonight.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Rooted my Asus Transformer and installed the Prime! v1.6 rom. :c00l:

Skulk
Feb 23, 2008
So, I just purchased an LG Optimus 2x here in Canada (it seems to be an LG-P999, since it says so on the box and back of the phone). I rooted it, got clockworkmod on it and installed CyanogenMod 7. However, I could not install the cm_p999 package. It kept giving me "getprop ro.product.device" errors. Only the cm_p990 packages worked. Well, "worked", because although they would successfully install themselves, I cannot find any networks around my area anymore. Furthermore, I cannot create / save / backup / restore any APNs either. I've tried setting permissions with ROM manager, in recovery mode, and that didn't help either.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Skulk posted:

Sorry, no comment on the specifics. I will mention though that the T-Mobile G2x (rough equivalent of the Optimus 2x to my knowledge) was recently voted 2011's worst Android phone in the Devices thread. So if there's any chance you can flash it back to stock and return it for something, anything else, it's prudent to do so.

If not, perhaps someone else who used one long enough can comment, but I think they've largely jettisoned the device.

My understanding is that the phone just doesn't work.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
On my EVO I am running Fresh 4.2.0.0 and I want to trade it into sprint for the $150 credit. How do I get back to fully stock so I don't have any trouble at the sprint store??

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skulk posted:

So, I just purchased an LG Optimus 2x here in Canada (it seems to be an LG-P999, since it says so on the box and back of the phone). I rooted it, got clockworkmod on it and installed CyanogenMod 7. However, I could not install the cm_p999 package. It kept giving me "getprop ro.product.device" errors. Only the cm_p990 packages worked. Well, "worked", because although they would successfully install themselves, I cannot find any networks around my area anymore. Furthermore, I cannot create / save / backup / restore any APNs either. I've tried setting permissions with ROM manager, in recovery mode, and that didn't help either.

The P999 is the G2x, not the Optimus 2x. That's P990. It could be that the P999 is hardcoded to G2x and you need to contact cm_arcee to get this fixed, or it could be the Canadian model isn't supported. Cyanogenmod forums would be the best place to go.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Where's the best place to keep checking to see what the new OTA Update is jailbreakable for the HTC Evo?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

eightysixed posted:

Where's the best place to keep checking to see what the new OTA Update is jailbreakable for the HTC Evo?

XDA Evo Android Development forum.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aatrek posted:

Rooted my Asus Transformer and installed the Prime! v1.6 rom. :c00l:

Does that ROM do anything special? I've kept my Transformer on stock rom just because none of the custom ones seemed to have anything to offer.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
For one, the Settings > Battery information works.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Skulk posted:

I think the APN thing was a bug of the phone too. I had that problem with CM7 and I had to nandroid back to an earlier nightly and then flash it again.

But in this case, I'd check to see if the Canadian G2x is supported yet.

Since you're on Wind, I'd just get a Nexus S or eBay a T-Mobile HTC Sensation because the G2x is really really bad. It's great at first but then you just slowly regret it as you try and use your phone and it constantly dies from overheating.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Has anyone noticed and strange data drops lately on verizon? Thunderbolt/BAMF 2.1/MR2.5 radio

I'm randomly dipping from LTE to no data( cell only), and I wonder if it's just tower trouble or possibly that nasty rumor of verizon loving with rooted phones is true.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I'm running CM7 on my Nook Color and there are a few apps that don't show up in the market for me. Any idea how to get them?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a consensus on what the best ROM for the Galaxy S II is? I just bought one :canada: and I've only tried Litening ROM which I'm not very fond of.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Flashing my radio down from MR2.5 to MR2 to see if anything changes since problems have been reported.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Godinster posted:

Is there a consensus on what the best ROM for the Galaxy S II is? I just bought one :canada: and I've only tried Litening ROM which I'm not very fond of.

How are you liking the phone so far? I'm still debating between the S2 or a Sensation. Any reason why you picked that one over the Sensation?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Doghouse posted:

I'm running CM7 on my Nook Color and there are a few apps that don't show up in the market for me. Any idea how to get them?

You may have to modify the build.prop file to trick the market to make it think it's another kind of device. Which apps are you trying to find?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

infinite99 posted:

How are you liking the phone so far? I'm still debating between the S2 or a Sensation. Any reason why you picked that one over the Sensation?

I love it. I played with both and while the Sensation feels nicer in the hand, the SGSII overall is much more snappy, it's light as hell and the screen is fantastic. The only thing I liked more about the Sensation was Sense over TouchWhiz, though I found Sense 3.0 to be laggy. I'm generally a Samsung hater and HTC lover but I was willing to give them another try and I'm glad I did.

Fantastic phone.

Spybreak
Mar 22, 2005

Handle with care

infinite99 posted:

I've had both and kept the Sensation.

You have to see both and decide, they both have their strong points and their weak points. I kept the Sensation because I like the design better, I love qHD and audio quality with headphones is better.

The SGS2 has a more vibrant screen, better readability in sunlight, is somewhat faster (probably due to Sense being too heavy) and is thinner and lighter. It also has a better camera. Battery life is about the same on both, once optimized.

They're both amazing phones and it all comes down to personal choice.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Sizzlechest posted:

You may have to modify the build.prop file to trick the market to make it think it's another kind of device. Which apps are you trying to find?

Modern Combat 2 is one of them, an obscure app called Power Sefer is another.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

fyallm posted:

On my EVO I am running Fresh 4.2.0.0 and I want to trade it into sprint for the $150 credit. How do I get back to fully stock so I don't have any trouble at the sprint store??

Honestly, I don't think I'd bother. It'll look like a factory reset of a stock ROM, unless they go looking through the app drawer.

On a related note, I've had virtually NO data service from Sprint for the last day and a half...but I can make phone calls just fine. I tried calling Sprint yesterday, and they said there were no known issues in my area...can a radio "go bad" in this manner?

I'm flashing over to Fresh 4.2 so I can call into Sprint and have their tech support do what they need to do...but I thought I'd ask.

EDIT: Of course...everything worked perfectly on 3G on Fresh 4.2...so, maybe something got screwed up on CM 7.0.3. Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to go a fresh install of CM7 anyhow (I was running CM7 nightlies, then updated to the RC's, then straight to the full release). Should I download CM 7.1 RC1, or should I get the latest nightly?

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 21, 2011

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Flashing my radio down from MR2.5 to MR2 to see if anything changes since problems have been reported.

FWIW, I've been on MR2 since I rooted and have had no problems with it at all. Seems MUCH more reliable than the old stock launch radio (MR0?) I was on earlier.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Farking Bastage posted:

Has anyone noticed and strange data drops lately on verizon? Thunderbolt/BAMF 2.1/MR2.5 radio

I'm randomly dipping from LTE to no data( cell only), and I wonder if it's just tower trouble or possibly that nasty rumor of verizon loving with rooted phones is true.

No issues at all here in portland. BAMF 2.1 with MR2 radio.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ozmodiar posted:

Honestly, I don't think I'd bother. It'll look like a factory reset of a stock ROM, unless they go looking through the app drawer.

On a related note, I've had virtually NO data service from Sprint for the last day and a half...but I can make phone calls just fine. I tried calling Sprint yesterday, and they said there were no known issues in my area...can a radio "go bad" in this manner?

I'm flashing over to Fresh 4.2 so I can call into Sprint and have their tech support do what they need to do...but I thought I'd ask.

EDIT: Of course...everything worked perfectly on 3G on Fresh 4.2...so, maybe something got screwed up on CM 7.0.3. Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to go a fresh install of CM7 anyhow (I was running CM7 nightlies, then updated to the RC's, then straight to the full release). Should I download CM 7.1 RC1, or should I get the latest nightly?

I had that occasionally on CM 7.0.x where I'd lose data temporarily, but it would come back in a few minutes. Never had it happen on CM 7.1 RC1, but I've only been running that for a week so I can't really say.

FWIW I'm down at Levis Commons just off 475 and just pulled 735k down, 635k up. IIRC you're somewhere in Toledo, I'll be up near campus later tonight and can try there too, but data seems to be working fine.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

wolrah posted:

I had that occasionally on CM 7.0.x where I'd lose data temporarily, but it would come back in a few minutes. Never had it happen on CM 7.1 RC1, but I've only been running that for a week so I can't really say.

FWIW I'm down at Levis Commons just off 475 and just pulled 735k down, 635k up. IIRC you're somewhere in Toledo, I'll be up near campus later tonight and can try there too, but data seems to be working fine.

I'd never had it happen before...and certainly not over 36 hours where I'd randomly have data for like 3 minutes and then lose it again. I've updated to CM 7.1 RC1 and it's working fine for now.

Sup, Toledo buddy! :hfive:

What speed test app are you using? I have the FCC one and I just got 0.68Mbps Down/0.49 Mbps Up

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Using the Speedtest.net app. I think the FCC app uses their systems on the back end, but I'm not sure.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!
Edit: Never mind. I think I fixed it.

Dayewalker fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 22, 2011

Zamo
May 3, 2009

Zamo posted:

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot later tonight.

It worked perfectly, I'm rocking CM7. Thanks for the help!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Since switching to MIUI my phone has been acting kind of strange. When I try to use maps or navigation, half of the time it will freeze up and reboot itself. It will also sometimes do this while I'm doing other things, like texting. I'm on a Droid 1. Any ideas?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

fyallm posted:

You should be okay with Fresh on there. When I traded my Evo in the guy barely even glanced at it. He told me to keep the charger/data cord/memory card and just turned the power on and when it started booting he threw it (literally) in the drawer and proceeded to ring me up with my upgrade.

If you really want to cover your bases though, here is the stock rom which you can flash like normal. I didn't even bother with the firmware, just the rom itself. You'll still have a rooted phone but they definitely won't check for that. They just want to see if it powers on.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

PREYING MANTITS posted:

You should be okay with Fresh on there. When I traded my Evo in the guy barely even glanced at it. He told me to keep the charger/data cord/memory card and just turned the power on and when it started booting he threw it (literally) in the drawer and proceeded to ring me up with my upgrade.

If you really want to cover your bases though, here is the stock rom which you can flash like normal. I didn't even bother with the firmware, just the rom itself. You'll still have a rooted phone but they definitely won't check for that. They just want to see if it powers on.

I ended up talking to the store manager and everything was fine but then he rebooted the thing and set it down and then of course the "fresssshhhh" screen came on and he was like uhhhh... Luckily he was cool about it and let me turn it in. He wasn't sure at first then I offered him a Google+ invite and he said what the hell, ha ha. Thanks for all the help!