Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

McGlockenshire posted:

The code looks correct at first glance.

Keep in mind that APC upload progress only works under mod_php. If you're using FastCGI, you're out of luck.
So I think I got it switched over to mod_php (it is available for the newest version of PHP right? I'm really rusty at this stuff) except I get the error:
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_8e01f9802198750c4bc92fa1c8c7c24a, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/client/public_html/xsuploader/index.php on line 2

I set /tmp in the linux root to 777 as well as the tmp in /home/client yet I'm still getting that error. It showed up when I set the PHP configuration to use DSO instead of SuPHP. Turning suExec on/off didn't seem to make a difference.

Is there another easy upload bar that I could use as it seems like installing APC has become a headache in and of itself.

e: on Chrome I get 0% before it successfully uploads and on firefox I get 1% before it uploads successfully on a 8mb upload.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I want to roll out a framework for the site I've been fixed up with, it has only the barest of frameworks at the moment (every page includes a central file that sets a shitton of variables and includes a bunch of functions), and I want to bring it into the 21st century with separation of views, etc.

Unfortunately, as some here know, I'm saddled with PHP 5.1.6. Meaning modern frameworks like Zend are probably off limits for me.

Any suggestions on a framework, or on a good resource for me to learn how to roll my own simple one?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Master_Odin posted:

So I think I got it switched over to mod_php (it is available for the newest version of PHP right? I'm really rusty at this stuff) [...] It showed up when I set the PHP configuration to use DSO instead of SuPHP.

Just to hone in on the APC issue, suPHP runs PHP as a CGI, not under mod_php.

With regard to the session issue, are you running RHEL/CentOS? If so, is SELinux enabled? Check /var/log/audit/audit.log. Apache is probably forbidden from writing to /tmp.

Golbez posted:

Unfortunately, as some here know, I'm saddled with PHP 5.1.6. Any suggestions on a framework, or on a good resource for me to learn how to roll my own simple one?
You could migrate to CakePHP, older versions of which even work on PHP4. However, your time might be better spent refactoring away the horrible until it isn't so horrible any longer. (That and older Cake sucks.)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Golbez posted:

I want to roll out a framework for the site I've been fixed up with, it has only the barest of frameworks at the moment (every page includes a central file that sets a shitton of variables and includes a bunch of functions), and I want to bring it into the 21st century with separation of views, etc.

Unfortunately, as some here know, I'm saddled with PHP 5.1.6. Meaning modern frameworks like Zend are probably off limits for me.

Any suggestions on a framework, or on a good resource for me to learn how to roll my own simple one?

http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/general/requirements.html

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

McGlockenshire posted:

Just to hone in on the APC issue, suPHP runs PHP as a CGI, not under mod_php.

With regard to the session issue, are you running RHEL/CentOS? If so, is SELinux enabled? Check /var/log/audit/audit.log. Apache is probably forbidden from writing to /tmp.
The server is running CentOS 5.6. I don't know about RHEL. I have no idea what I'm looking at with /var/log/audit/audit.log. SELinux was lacking a file "enforce" in the directory so I created one and put 0 in it to make sure it was off and not affecting things. I know the server has to be set to DSO to get Apache2 to handle the PHP scripts. It's just I have no idea how to deal with permissions besides CHMOD because I'm a god drat programmer, not a server admin :smithicide:

e: I'm probably just going to relay this stuff to my client and tell him to contact his server provider to deal with this because gently caress trying to figure this poo poo out as I don't want to try and learn how to use/manage a server like this.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 22, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

sold

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Master_Odin posted:

I'm probably just going to relay this stuff to my client and tell him to contact his server provider to deal with this because gently caress trying to figure this poo poo out as I don't want to try and learn how to use/manage a server like this.
This is a great idea, but only if the client understands that you aren't a sysadmin. You're a computer person, you should know this stuff! :downs:

For the audit log thing, you'd tail -f it while trying to write a session file, and see if there are new lines whining about crap. SELinux is a horrible thing.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a question regarding PHP dynamically generated forms populated with data from a MySQL database. When using drop down boxes, how do you determine what value was already selected in the database and then make sure when the form loads that that is the value selected by default with selected="selected" in the <option> tag?

I have a database with two tables and a relational link like the one in the below picture (role_id is linked to roles.id).

So, first I pull the data into an array:

php:
<?php

$sql "SELECT name, role INNER JOIN roles ON role_id = roles.id";
$result mysqli_query($link$sql); 

$users = array();
while ($row mysqli_fetch_array($result)) { 
    $users[] = array('name' => $row['name'], 'role' => $row['role']);
}

$sql "SELECT id, role FROM roles";
$result mysqli_query($link$sql); 

$roles = array();
while ($row mysqli_fetch_array($result)) { 
    $roles[] = array('id' => $row['id'], 'role' => $row['role']);
}

include 'form.html.php';

?>

My HTML form looks like this (ignore the <? and ?> at the top and bottom):
Note: not sanitized for readability.
php:
<?
<tbody>
<?php foreach ($users as $user): ?>
<tr>
<form action="." method="post">
    <td><input type="text" name="name" value="<?php echo $user['name']; ?>" /></td>
    <td><select value="role">
        <?php foreach ($roles as $role): ?>
        <option value="<?php echo $role['id']; ?>"><?php echo $role['role']; ?></option>
        <?php endforeach; ?>
    </select></td>
    <td><input type="submit" name="action" value="Update" /></td>
</form>
</tr>
<?php endforeach; ?>
</tbody>
?>
How do I add in a selected="selected" for my drop down item for the value in already in the database?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

IT Guy posted:

:words:

Here you go!
php:
<?
<tbody>
<?php foreach ($users as $user) { ?>
<tr>
        <?php 
          foreach ($roles as $role) {
          $selected = ($user['role'] == $role['id']) ? ' selected="selected"' '';
        ?>
        <option value="<?php echo $role['id']; ?>"<?php echo $selected?>><?php echo $role['role']; ?></option>
        <?php ?>
    </select></td>
</form>
</tr>
<?php ?>
</tbody>
?>

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 26, 2011

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

IT Guy posted:

How do I add in a selected="selected" for my drop down item for the value in already in the database?

You could compare the user's role to the roles as you populate the select box. Something like:

php:
<?
?>
<option value="<?php echo $role['id']; ?><?php echo $user['role'] == $role['role'] ? 'selected="selected"' ''; ><?php echo $role['role']; ?></option>
<??>

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

486 posted:

You could compare the user's role to the roles as you populate the select box. Something like:

php:
<?
?>
<option value="<?php echo $role['id']; ?><?php echo $user['role'] == $role['role'] ? 'selected="selected"' ''; ><?php echo $role['role']; ?></option>
<??>

Ah, this is exactly what I was looking for. Brain fart on my end because this is how I do my checkboxes.

Thank you.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

DarkLotus posted:

Here you go!
php:
<?
<tbody>
<tr>
        <?php 
        ?>
        <option value="<?php echo $role['id']; ?>"<?php echo $selected?>><?php echo $role['role']; ?></option>
        <?php ?>
    </select></td>
</form>
</tr>
<?php ?>
</tbody>
?>

Don't you find this <?php ... > ... <?php ... > ... <?php ... > all over the place kind of obnoxious? Not to mention that the opening and closing braces of the foreach construct are across different php tags. (I know that it's legal, but it's not really called for in this case and it makes the code so hard to read.)

By all means drop out of php in order to echo larger chunks of static output, but isn't string concatenation more readable for these small strings?

code:
<td><select value="role">
    <?php 
        foreach ($roles as $role) {
            $selected = ($user['role'] == $role['id']) ?
                        ' selected="selected"' :
                        '';
            echo "\n".
                 '<option value="'.$role['id'].'"'.$selected.'>'.
                 $role['role'].
                 '</option>';
        }
    ?>
</select></td>

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Hammerite posted:

Don't you find this <?php ... > ... <?php ... > ... <?php ... > all over the place kind of obnoxious? Not to mention that the opening and closing braces of the foreach construct are across different php tags. (I know that it's legal, but it's not really called for in this case and it makes the code so hard to read.)

By all means drop out of php in order to echo larger chunks of static output, but isn't string concatenation more readable for these small strings?

code:
<td><select value="role">
    <?php 
        foreach ($roles as $role) {
            $selected = ($user['role'] == $role['id']) ?
                        ' selected="selected"' :
                        '';
            echo "\n".
                 '<option value="'.$role['id'].'"'.$selected.'>'.
                 $role['role'].
                 '</option>';
        }
    ?>
</select></td>
I absolutely find it obnoxious, but I was just presenting his code back to him the way he presented it to us. Although I changed foreach (): to foreach () { and endforeach; to }

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I'm using this PHP/JavaScript framework called JFormer to make forms, and I'm getting a little burned out.

http://www.jformer.com/documentation/basic-fields/file/

Anyone ever used this before? And if so, how do I actually write the goddamn file? I can only seem to access its properties (filename, type, size, etc).

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
nevermind...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hammerite posted:

Personally I like to stay in HTML mode as much as possible because my text editor will highlight the syntax of the HTML correctly if I do that, which it can't if I just output strings. I don't have a problem with opening and closing braces in different foreach tags, as long as indentation is properly used so that the braces can be seen to match up with one another.

php:
<?
<tbody>
        <tr>
                <td>
                    <select value="role">
                        <?php 
                                ?>
                                    <option
                                        value="<?php echo $role['id']; ?>"
                                        <?php echo $selected?>
                                    ><?php echo $role['role']; ?></option>
                                <?php
                            }
                        ?>
                    </select>
                </td>
            </form>
        </tr>
    <?php ?>
</tbody>
?>
I know, this is monstrous. But who's the real monster here? Not I. Not I.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
php:
<?
<tbody>
<? foreach ($users as $user): ?>
    <tr>
        <td><input type="text" name="name" value="<?=$user['name']?>" /></td>
        <td>
            <select value="role">
<? foreach $roles as $role): ?>
                <option value="<?=$role['id']?><?=($user['role'] == $role['id']) ? 'selected="selected"' ''?>>
                    <?=$role['role']?>
                </option>
<? endforeach; ?>
            </select>
        </td>
        </form>
    </tr>
<? endforeach; ?>
</tbody>
Cleaned that up for ya.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

Golbez posted:

Cleaned that up for ya.

Not a fan of the short open tags, but I do like how the resulting html source's whitespace doesn't get screwed up when you remove indentation from the foreaches. (in this example) Unfortunately, I just can't seem to bring myself to accept the indentation going back and forth when I am coding :(

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

486 posted:

Not a fan of the short open tags, but I do like how the resulting html source's whitespace doesn't get screwed up when you remove indentation from the foreaches. (in this example) Unfortunately, I just can't seem to bring myself to accept the indentation going back and forth when I am coding :(

If not short open tags, then at least short echo tags. "<?php echo $foo;?>" vs "<?=$foo?>".

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Golbez posted:

If not short open tags, then at least short echo tags. "<?php echo $foo;?>" vs "<?=$foo?>".

I have come across servers do not have short echo tags turend on, and been through php upgrades to existing servers that flipped them off, and boy howdy, it's not worth the tiny number of keystrokes (but since you have an echo macro anyway, it's the same anyway) or "ugliness" for having your whole site / webapp die in flames.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm back with more PDF issues; basically I've hit a brick wall atm. The client has a whole bunch of pdf forms that they want the user to be able to fill out an html form; and upon submit it emails a flat pdf to the client, and the user.

Now the html form part is fine and dandy; the pdf is the issue. I can generate a fdf fine but they specifically want a pdf at the end of the process. I have no control over the hosting so I can't use pdftk ( which is what google and other places recommend ).

This led me to: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1389964/merge-fdf-data-into-a-pdf-file-using-php
The second answer is what I'm interested in.

I followed the instructions and came up with http://electronicmodesty.com/mergefdfwithpdf/ as a test case.

Original PDF: http://electronicmodesty.com/mergefdfwithpdf/Project2.pdf

Link to script: http://electronicmodesty.com/mergefdfwithpdf/Project2.pdf#FDF=generate_pdf_alt_2.php
( the script when directly link to runs and gives you a php file but really it's outputted as the resulting fdf )

Actual contents of script:
code:
<?php
require_once('forge_fdf.php');  

// leave this blank if we're associating the FDF w/ the PDF via URL
$pdf_form_url= "";

// default data; these two arrays must ultimately list all of the fields
// you desire to alter, even if you just want to set the 'hidden' flag;
//
//
$fdf_data_names= array(); // none of these in this example
$fdf_data_strings= array("Text2"=>"A_Name"); // none of these in this example

$fdf_data_strings['email']='test@electronicmodesty.com';

$fields_hidden= array();
$fields_readonly= array();

// set this to retry the previous state
$retry_b= false;

header( 'content-type: application/vnd.fdf' );

echo forge_fdf( $pdf_form_url,
        $fdf_data_strings, 
        $fdf_data_names,
        $fields_hidden,
        $fields_readonly );
?>
The only modification I made was to input an email address that wasn't pulled from a database and to pre-fill 1 pdf form field. What seems to be happening is that the script isn't running. Any takers on this one?

Also if theres another way to go about this I'm all ears. I'd rather not have to do actual PDF re-creation as we're talking about 25ish pdf's. I'm just looking for a way to merge a FDF with a PDF on the server side.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Yes, it is obnoxious, especially when I start putting htmlspecialchars($var, ENT_QUOTES, 'utf-8') around all my output variables as well. However, I was taught to keep my HTML and PHP as separate as possible and using controllers and then including HTML templates.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I know there's a library on the net of newer PHP functions rewritten to allow them to work on older PHP versions. But I cannot seem to find the right string to use in Google to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: Aha, I had a version lying around. It's upgrade.php, http://upgradephp.berlios.de/.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 27, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
PDO doesn't seem to accept constants when instantiating the object. Why? And what is the proper way to pass db config constants in?

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006
I'm a noob from the geocities days and I'm having trouble getting a site with the codeigniter framework to work properly. The company who made the site for my friend kindof jerked him around. It took legal threats to get them to deliver on the site, so while they claim it's complete who knows.

I've uploaded the site folders to root on the server but when I go to the domain it gives me a 404 error. I am using a freehost site until I verify this site works and then I'll purchase a domain.

I edited the config file to point to the correct domain. The php version running on the host is 5.2.17 so that shouldn't be a problem. Where should I start? I've never deployed a site using codeigniter before (php really at all). Thanks!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

michael30404 posted:

I'm a noob from the geocities days and I'm having trouble getting a site with the codeigniter framework to work properly. The company who made the site for my friend kindof jerked him around. It took legal threats to get them to deliver on the site, so while they claim it's complete who knows.

I've uploaded the site folders to root on the server but when I go to the domain it gives me a 404 error. I am using a freehost site until I verify this site works and then I'll purchase a domain.

I edited the config file to point to the correct domain. The php version running on the host is 5.2.17 so that shouldn't be a problem. Where should I start? I've never deployed a site using codeigniter before (php really at all). Thanks!

Did you put the actual site in /root or something like /home/username/public_html?

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006
I was sent a zip for the website. Upon opening the zip, there is a public folder and a log folder. I uploaded the contents of the public folder right to root. It contains assets and system folders, as well as index.php and htaccess file. The index file is just instructions for what I'm assuming is the CodeIgniter framework. The folder public>system>application>views> has php files that have actual content for the website. The index file in that directory (like in pretty much every directory) is a 403 message about forbidden access. When trying to access those files ie: domain.com/public/system/applications/views/contact.php I got the same 404 error.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

michael30404 posted:

I was sent a zip for the website. Upon opening the zip, there is a public folder and a log folder. I uploaded the contents of the public folder right to root. It contains assets and system folders, as well as index.php and htaccess file. The index file is just instructions for what I'm assuming is the CodeIgniter framework. The folder public>system>application>views> has php files that have actual content for the website. The index file in that directory (like in pretty much every directory) is a 403 message about forbidden access. When trying to access those files ie: domain.com/public/system/applications/views/contact.php I got the same 404 error.

What's the directory structure look like for your host? Are you uploading these files through FTP, SFTP, or something else?

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006
I'm uploading them by ftp. They are at the absolute root of the site. I'm beginning to think that the problem is my understanding of how a site using php is used at all. In angelfire days you upload an html file and that's what you go to. With these files I assumed that these people made something self-sufficient that I would only need to upload. I guess I don't understand how when you go to a domain one of the pages are referenced, or how you would even choose which page is referenced. I have not found an index file that actually contains content, or a home page. So It seems like there are two options:

1. These guys didn't make a complete site

2. I'm loving stupid and I won't be able to do this on my own, forcing someone to get involved.

Let's take a vote.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Can you post a link to the website?

Or maybe tell us what folders you see when you initially login to the site through FTP.

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006

mailmanrob fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2022

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I thought codeigniter didn't play well with most free hosts due to old versions of PHP running in safemode

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

revmoo posted:

PDO doesn't seem to accept constants when instantiating the object. Why? And what is the proper way to pass db config constants in?

Can you give a code sample of what isn't working and what you'd expect to happen?

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

I thought codeigniter didn't play well with most free hosts due to old versions of PHP running in safemode

Requirements say PHP version 5.1.6 or newer for the newest codeigniter build. The free host's version is 5.2.17.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

michael30404 posted:

Requirements say PHP version 5.1.6 or newer for the newest codeigniter build. The free host's version is 5.2.17.

Do this;

Remove ALL the files you just uploaded.

Write yourself a new index.php, with this in:

php:
<?
phpinfo();
?>
Upload just that index file to where you had the site. Open up http://www.yourdomain.com in a browser. You should get the PHP status info page. If not; find out what you're doing wrong regarding where to upload a site on your server to have it work.

Once you can get the phpinfo page up OK, remove the new index.php

Upload the contents of the "public" folder to where the site worked from. load your domain again; http://www.yourdomain.com - you should get the front page.

If it STILL doesn't work at all, remove the site again, go download codeigniter itself from http://codeigniter.com/, and upload the current base codeigniter install. Load your domain in a browser again; the default install should complain at you about anything it requires being missing.

Once you can get the frontpage up OK, then you can go look into the application/controllers folder and application/config/routes.php file to figure out what other pages you've got. Note that if you have the "application" folder inside the "system" folder, this is built on an old version of codeigniter.

You'll want to read:

http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/general/urls.html
http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/general/controllers.html
http://codeigniter.com/user_guide/general/routing.html

at a minimum to figure out how they've setup the site's urls and pages etc.
you probably want to draw yourself some kind of sitemap from the controller and routing setup.
for someone new to CI, figuring out the routing of an undocumented site is going to be annoying, I'm afraid.

Edit; obviously the point of this is to isolate if your server is refusing to run CI, if you have the site in the wrong place for the URL you're trying to load, or if in fact you've been supplied a broken site.

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 29, 2011

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006
Thank you for all the advice. I'll try to get this going later today when I have time!

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

hedgecore posted:

I'm using this PHP/JavaScript framework called JFormer to make forms, and I'm getting a little burned out.

http://www.jformer.com/documentation/basic-fields/file/

Anyone ever used this before? And if so, how do I actually write the goddamn file? I can only seem to access its properties (filename, type, size, etc).

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I forgot $_FILES existed.

http://www.tizag.com/phpT/fileupload.php

mailmanrob
Apr 17, 2006

mailmanrob fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 16, 2022

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just pay for hosting or something. nfshost.com is less than $1 every few months if you're just playing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

michael30404 posted:

Just a quick update. I uploaded the PHP status file and it still gives 404 in the browser.

So I went above and beyond and tried uploaded a picture of a printscreen showing my placing it in the root. I could link you guys the picture but IT won't load in a browser.:iiam:

I'm going to try another free host.

You are almost certainly uploading outside of the document root; look for a folder called "htdocs" or "www" - if found; put stuff in there.