Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah, I've seen that. I usually find it a no-go just from reading the first paragraph of admissions eligibility:

Weird. I guess I never realized that restriction. That kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Drewski posted:

I'd like to say that I don't think there was hardly any objectivity in the goals my supervisor and I worked on, but they aren't available to me any longer. I also thought the goals were supposed to be personalized for me, and also include personal/professional development. For example, I remember that one of my goals was to take a set number of Project Management certification courses. Maybe we're not supposed to have developmental goals? I don't know why my director changed the goals, but they are verbatim for every single person in my division. Well, regardless of whether or not it's a goal in my eval, I've been working on the PMI certs anyway.

But my biggest concern is that if I'm applying for other federal positions that require my most recent evaluation, I'm going to cringe every time I have to provide this. The errors and language are an embarrassment for both my organization and myself. My performance report last year was stellar. Could using this new one cost me a position elsewhere? If you were a hiring manager and saw an eval with that language, what would you do?

I don't really see your performance eval as being the end of the world. Granted, I work in private industry, so there may be some subtleties here that I am missing. I've written many evaluations and have edited/rewritten many more, and from a quick read, nothing there seems to reflect poorly on you. I can understand your disappointment in having goals that aren't personalized or don't work towards a grand development plan. However, the needs of the organization usually trump personalized development goals. At my company, we generally don't include external classes in the development plan, primarily because these are at employee expense (even though tuition assistance may apply). This may be why your PMP classes were not made into a goal.

I don't typically see employee evals as part of the hiring process, but I don't think this would be damaging. None of your goals appear to be remedial actions. The rather large number of actions suggests that your organization relies on you to handle a good number of tasks. The writing could certainly be better, but it's not your responsibility. I can't see any good coming from trying to fix it, unless it's normal to do revisions on your own evals (??). I've seen worse from GS-13s and their equivalents, so it's not a surprise.

You may be frustrated with your goals, but at least they're measurable, so you can track your progress. If I were screening you as a potential hire I'd be more interested in the parts of the document that discuss your performance level.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Fourth Wall posted:

:words: (snipped for brevity)

Well like I said, I have to provide my latest employee evaluation for my federal job applications. I love my job right now but I'm a GWOT Term employee which means that I was brought on for a maximum of 4 years. Additionally, I can be released at the end of each year that I am working if there is no longer a need. So I have been busting my rear end to make sure that I'm one of the most critical people available in my division. I get all the benefits of permanent status minus the ability to buy back my military service for my retirement package. Regardless, as my boss' boss told me, "You may like your job, but if you stay where you are there is no light at the end of the tunnel."

So while I love my job I have been applying to every job that fits me under the sun. For now I'm sticking to locations I would prefer (Socal, Austin/San Antonio, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Germany) but after my third year is up I'm going to send my application in for every single position I qualify for.

Like I said before, I'm worried that if my organization's documentation is this, uh, irregular, that may reflect on myself as well. I'm just not sure.

And the coolest thing about my job is the vast quantities of materials available for self improvement, free. We get Skillsoft courses, thousands of books, and every single Rosetta Stone free through a system called Army Knowledge Online (AKO). Usually that kind of development is highly encouraged. Needless to say, I'm doing a ton of stuff at home.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zoo posted:

Weird. I guess I never realized that restriction. That kind of sucks.

There's that DIA Fellowship program you can apply for as a civilian, but it's competitive as hell; I think there are like 5 places a year or something. I did two BA's in Psych and International studies, took grad classes as a senior, spoke fluent Thai (that I learned as a National Security Education Program Scholar), had an active Secret clearance through State, and still got the brush-off. Didn't bother applying this year.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There's that DIA Fellowship program you can apply for as a civilian, but it's competitive as hell; I think there are like 5 places a year or something. I did two BA's in Psych and International studies, took grad classes as a senior, spoke fluent Thai (that I learned as a National Security Education Program Scholar), had an active Secret clearance through State, and still got the brush-off. Didn't bother applying this year.

http://www.dia.mil/careers/students/DefenseICScholar2010.pdf

The program hires around 10 max per year, but the hiring is incredibly arbitrary. There's no interview process - it's done entirely off of resume, transcript, and a written sample. On top of that there are probably several hundred applications per year.

It's worth reapplying every year just because getting hired or not could easily be a factor of when a HR person decides to go to lunch that day.

quote:

So, I've graduated with a Bachelor's in Political Science and History. I realize by looking at pretty much every job listed on USAJOBS, or even anything in on the State of Texas website that I don't seem to meet all of the qualifications for any job. How am I supposed to get 2+ years of experience in 'X' if there don't seem to be any opportunities to get experience.

I'm currently going to Texas State for my Masters in the fall, so I doubt I have time for a full time job, but I was just kind of scoping out the job market. Despite having my Masters in a couple of years, I don't really see how that is going to change my job prospects as far as experience in certain areas goes.

apply for every student position imaginable. And don't be stupid and JUST apply to CIA, NSA, State, and the other big names. There are tons of other government agencies with analytic roles supporting overseas activity; Energy, Treasury, DEA, etc. Show them some love as well.

Happydayz fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 1, 2011

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

What sort of prospects would someone have with no degree and an active TS (pending SCI)? I read the OP, obviously, but...long story short, I haven't had to do any real job hunting before. It's a little daunting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jackie D posted:

What sort of prospects would someone have with no degree and an active TS (pending SCI)? I read the OP, obviously, but...long story short, I haven't had to do any real job hunting before. It's a little daunting.

If you're a veteran, the DoD and all military agencies love hiring them for admin positions.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Anyone familiar with the Environmental Protection Agency?

I'm a fresh Ivy grad who's looking for his first real-world job and found something that seems to be a good fit and is GS-8/9. Do they hire people straight out of college for GS-8/9? I have about a year of lab experience, a solid academic record, some extracurricular leadership and an environmental studies-focused background.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
depends on your school. Most BA/BS grads qualify at a GS-7 level. Going in as a GS-9 is not unheard of, but usually what they're looking for is someone with a few years of experience or some certifications under your belt.

If you can sell yourself extremely well, it could be doable for you.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

grover posted:

You can always appeal to your director's supervisor if you're unhappy, but you don't get to write your job objectives, your boss does unilaterally.

Just be glad NSPS is gone and it's all pass-fail now.

Or come to State where you write your own EERs and own Work Requirements Statements essentially defining your own job. :3:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Those jobs that are just listed NATION WIDE. How are you suppose to find any information about them? Some list literally nothing about locations in the states.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
There are plenty of no-degree options that aren't admin or crap (though I bet you could go admin yeah but you likely don't want to), FYI, but it's harder to convince your selecting official(s) to hire you without the experience to offset its absence.

That said, a few organizations have hard, non-waiverable degree requirements. Most of CIA falls in that strict category (mil exp allowed in-lieu-of for some jobs but keep hopes very low). But most in my sector of govt do not. I work with a 15 with no degree in a white collar field. It is simply harder and is a box you MUST eventually check. Also, if you are close-ish to being finished, mention "3yrs college" or whatever on the resume to show you can complete it in due time. Don't mention the degree/lack thereof during any interviews. The selecting officials can see your resume of course, but by the interview they may have forgotten the degree absence when they have so many others to interview and your application already made it through. Depends on how rigorous they are or if they bother. At some interviews they've had my resume printed out but read only the first page, and at others there wasn't any sign.

This refers to national security analyst positions of sorts, BTW, that use your TS. I don't know other sectors of gov. This said, note that without relevant experience, you probably would need a degree definitively to get your foot in the door. The people not finished with their degree usually have military experience. I don't think "no relevant experience, no degree" would work as well for you, so if you are inexperienced, push for degree (do it anyway of course, even if you get hired and finish at night; but just saying).

edit: also, contractors may be more receptive sometimes. I didn't notice until now you said TS. In that case and if you want to use your TS, then my advice above is fitting. Also, networking is key for higher level positions without a degree and it doesn't happen every day. Just give it a try on usajobs.gov/nsa.gov/dia.mil. DIA is probably your best bet, or one of the service elements. INSCOM and such-like.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 7, 2011

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Skandiaavity posted:

depends on your school. Most BA/BS grads qualify at a GS-7 level. Going in as a GS-9 is not unheard of, but usually what they're looking for is someone with a few years of experience or some certifications under your belt.

If you can sell yourself extremely well, it could be doable for you.

I went to one with a pretty solid Environmental Studies program, hence the interest in working with energy and the environment. I just applied to the EPA and FERC.

Does anybody know how quickly they respond to applications? Private firms have been pretty quick to respond (generally within a week or two, max) so far, but I'm worried in the public sector it might be a more prolonged process.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Rednik posted:

I went to one with a pretty solid Environmental Studies program, hence the interest in working with energy and the environment. I just applied to the EPA and FERC.

Does anybody know how quickly they respond to applications? Private firms have been pretty quick to respond (generally within a week or two, max) so far, but I'm worried in the public sector it might be a more prolonged process.

It totally depends. General wisdom is to apply and forget you ever did until you hear back. I am at various stages in the application/hiring process with multiple agencies. I have an app in at one that I turned in 2 months ago and haven't heard a word, whereas another I got a response in a few days. I applied for an internship last year and my status was "pending review" or under consideration or whatever for over 7 months and I was never notified of anything so I guess I didnt get it.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Tyro posted:

It totally depends. General wisdom is to apply and forget you ever did until you hear back. I am at various stages in the application/hiring process with multiple agencies. I have an app in at one that I turned in 2 months ago and haven't heard a word, whereas another I got a response in a few days. I applied for an internship last year and my status was "pending review" or under consideration or whatever for over 7 months and I was never notified of anything so I guess I didnt get it.

Lovely. :911:

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

or make friends with a general officer or SES. There's something entirely legal called "executive referrals". So long as you meet the basic requirements for employment an executive referral is basically a guaranteed way to get an entry level position. Especially if the GO/SES follows up with a phone call.

So I just applied for a position on USAJobs. 4x total vacancies and around 250 people applied for it. It said that my resume was forwarded to the selecting official. How many people were cut?

Does this mean that I just made it through the initial HR screen? Does it mean that I'm part of the short-list of resumes (say 20-25) that get forwarded to the hiring manager? Not really sure where I am in the process

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Happydayz posted:

So I just applied for a position on USAJobs. 4x total vacancies and around 250 people applied for it. It said that my resume was forwarded to the selecting official. How many people were cut?

Does this mean that I just made it through the initial HR screen? Does it mean that I'm part of the short-list of resumes (say 20-25) that get forwarded to the hiring manager? Not really sure where I am in the process

I've had 15 referrals over the past year of applying, with 4 since the end of May. Only received two interview calls, one for a permanent position that got cut due to the budget fun earlier this year. The second was a 2 year term position that I couldn't do since I moved to DC for a job since applying. I think its pretty much just a luck of the draw, you never know which you'll get called for and which you won't. My fiance was never referred (through a USAjobs update) for the job he ended up getting while he had about 75 referrals resulting in 6 interviews.

It is a short list, but there could be multiple referral lists that they can select to interview from. For example, my fiance was able to apply using Schedule A, which meant he could apply as a status candidate as well as a regular external like me.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Just got an interview call for the end of the month. :)

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 9, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Happydayz posted:

I suspect there's no clear answer to this that applies to every shop. Your referral means you cert'ed, which is obviously crucial.

I was referred for a vacancy recently, as well, and an insider told me that they had 300 applicants. She did not tell me how many would be called for interview or whether 300 were referred to selecting official or 300 applied and most of them just got cut at this stage. I strongly suspect the latter. She just told me that cert'ing was good and I probably had a good shot at an interview (still waiting on that). *shrug* Those who cert are selected for interview by actual people in the office, though, but you probably know that already. This is where human error, assumptions, laziness, and nepotism come in. I know that at my last interview, the division chief had a reputation for interviewing "everyone," whatever that means (maybe everyone who certs), though I later found out that he interviewed only seven candidates. It's a mystery I guess.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So after a few months I've gotten a call for a phone interview later this week. Unfortunately I've moved away from DC for another job. Could this will be a turnoff for them since I am no longer in the area? Should I make mention of it even if I'm not asked?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Happydayz posted:

or make friends with a general officer or SES. There's something entirely legal called "executive referrals". So long as you meet the basic requirements for employment an executive referral is basically a guaranteed way to get an entry level position. Especially if the GO/SES follows up with a phone call.

Do you have a source for this? I've heard rumors of this type of thing before (also called "name referral") but never actually seen any evidence of it. I haven't seen anything that even comes close in Title 5 that would permit such an activity, and the SES member I work for has never heard of it. I suspect it is an urban legend along the lines of "OPM regulations permit you to have 2 beers during work hours".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JohnnyHildo posted:

Do you have a source for this? I've heard rumors of this type of thing before (also called "name referral") but never actually seen any evidence of it. I haven't seen anything that even comes close in Title 5 that would permit such an activity, and the SES member I work for has never heard of it. I suspect it is an urban legend along the lines of "OPM regulations permit you to have 2 beers during work hours".

I'm going to guess that it's probably more like the department/command/whatever head drops by the hiring manager and tells them to look for a particular name from the massive quantity of resumes that got NORs, thus drastically increasing the chance of getting hired due to actually getting an interview and having a good recommendation from the manager's boss' boss.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is the usajobassessments.gov site a new thing? I just applied to a job that sent a link to a skills assessment located there.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Is the usajobassessments.gov site a new thing? I just applied to a job that sent a link to a skills assessment located there.

I've taken 2 assessments so far. Its a new thing they're doing instead of checking that you're an expert for everything on application manager. They want to use it for common jobs like budget analysts, program assistants/analysts, etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I was expecting the old fashioned thing. Now it says I have two days to complete the assessment and I'm leaving for the field for four days today. I wonder if it supports my phone's browser.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Yeah I was expecting the old fashioned thing. Now it says I have two days to complete the assessment and I'm leaving for the field for four days today. I wonder if it supports my phone's browser.

There usually are video segments in the test of a situation that you have to respond to. It would probably be pretty hard to do over the phone browser.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

JohnnyHildo posted:

in my internal human resources website there is a mechanism by which to refer an external for hire. It also gives an option to click a box if you are a SES or General Officer. And I know first hand of someone who just got hired by this process - reportedly through this very process

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I've never had success with the refer-a-candidate function, including when I referred a fluent Urdu speaker, but I'm not an SES or GO. I also specified offices. However, it's possible there weren't particular fitting vacancies; I think with that it'd be good to reference specific vacancy announcements.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread for the longest time. I actually work for OPM. If anyone has any questions about employee benefits, I'd be happy to answer. Requests for tips and tricks are welcome as long as they aren't illegal :)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
New posting just went up for Immigration Services Officers at the Nebraska Service Center. GS5-9 I think.

catholicjazz
Oct 2, 2008
I'm about to start sending my resume and transcripts to a Student Trainee (Admin/Office Management) position in Veterans Affairs in Buffalo. How much do they assess your transcript? Specifically,I have five years of clerical experience and an English degree for this secretarial job but will my courses in Feminist theory/Marxist theory/Queer theory kill my chances of getting it?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

catholicjazz posted:

I'm about to start sending my resume and transcripts to a Student Trainee (Admin/Office Management) position in Veterans Affairs in Buffalo. How much do they assess your transcript? Specifically,I have five years of clerical experience and an English degree for this secretarial job but will my courses in Feminist theory/Marxist theory/Queer theory kill my chances of getting it?

I took queer theory and they didn't seem to care, and I'm now GS-7. As long as your resume includes not just that but absolutely every single related skill or experience you have, that's what's most important.

Is there an NTE listing on that? Can it convert to career?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread for the longest time. I actually work for OPM.

oh god. Admitting that was a mistake. Snow days, man...

catholicjazz
Oct 2, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

I took queer theory and they didn't seem to care, and I'm now GS-7. As long as your resume includes not just that but absolutely every single related skill or experience you have, that's what's most important.

Is there an NTE listing on that? Can it convert to career?

It's a 1 year full time gig and it's treated as more of an internship with no connection to an established full time job as far as I can tell.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Zoo posted:

oh god. Admitting that was a mistake. Snow days, man...

Yeah, all 2,000 of us work on monitoring the weather for snow days :woop:

Seriously, I already get those calls from people and I know as much as you do.

catholicjazz posted:

It's a 1 year full time gig and it's treated as more of an internship with no connection to an established full time job as far as I can tell.

Is it a part of a specific program?

catholicjazz
Oct 2, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Is it a part of a specific program?

I don't think so:

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.a...20+05%3A14%3A00

I'm also wondering what kind of class schedule they think the applicant should have considering the job is "Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PM; subject to change based on Agency needs."

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Sen. Coburn loves us gubmint workers...

quote:

Lawmaker pushes extension of pay freeze, workforce cuts

A GOP lawmaker is proposing cuts to federal employee pay and jobs to improve the government's finances.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., on Monday unveiled a $9 trillion deficit reduction plan that would extend the current civilian pay freeze, reduce leave benefits and trim the workforce in an effort to cut government spending. The proposal builds on a number of fiscal commission recommendations introduced late last year.

"Real choices must be made to reduce spending, increase revenues, or both," Coburn wrote in the report. "Everyone is going to feel a pinch. For some it may be a sting. Everyone will be asked to do more with less. This includes members of Congress, government employees and contractors, millionaires, and even the White House and Pentagon."

Coburn has rejoined the bipartisan Gang of Six senators presenting President Obama with deficit reduction ideas, but his office did not respond to calls for comment on how the proposal introduced on Monday would impact his participation in those negotiations.

Monday's proposal outlines a number of cuts affecting the federal workforce:
Extend the two-year freeze on civilian employee pay for an additional year and limit performance awards and recruitment, retention and relocation bonuses during this period.

* Freeze locality pay for five years.
* Prohibit rehired annuitants from receiving a full salary in addition to pension payments.
* Prohibit federal workers from carrying over unused sick leave from one year to the next.
* Allow employees to carry over half of their unused annual leave and cap vacation at 30 days annually.
* Use the "chained CPI" method, which takes into account changes in purchasing habits as prices change, to calculate cost-of-living adjustments.
* Cut the government workforce by 15 percent, or 300,000 jobs, over 10 years by hiring two employees for every three who leave federal service.
Use attrition to reduce the Defense Department civilian workforce by 5 percent beginning in 2014.

The plan also recommends changes to TRICARE benefits for military retirees. Working-age annuitants would be ineligible for TRICARE Prime coverage and would see an increase in monthly fees, totaling about $2,000 annually for individuals and $3,000 per year for families. Retirees also would see monthly prescription costs jump from $3 to $15 for generic drugs and $9 to $25 for brand-name drugs. Those eligible for Medicare would be required to meet minimum out-of-pocket co-payments before receiving TRICARE coverage. These changes would save $174 billion over 10 years, according to the report.

Coburn also proposed a 15 percent reduction in contractor positions; a 75 percent cut in agency travel budgets; a $100 million annual limit on spending for training conferences; and a restructuring of federal employment agencies, including the Federal Labor Relations Authority, Merit Systems Protection Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Office of Government Ethics under the umbrella of the Office of Personnel Management.

What a loving turd.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Sen. Coburn loves us gubmint workers...

What a loving turd.

If you think that's bad, you haven't been reading the SAVE award forum.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Coburn has been trying to cut overseas comparability pay for diplomats. Which was instituted in the first place because the pay inequity between DC and overseas was so goddamn bad that people were literally quitting than going to certain posts.

He literally doesn't know what he tries to do, he makes no attempt to understand what he is cutting, he just sees "Whoa whoa whoa, we're paying guys in suits extra to go to assholistan? gently caress that, they can eat poo poo."

-e- the above is kind of the basic version, but it's the broad gist.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 21, 2011

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Talk about unintended consequences. If you acrue 6 hours of annual leave per pay period and it goes away at the end of the year, every single federal employee will take leave the last week of the year. If sick leave acrues at 4 hours per pay period and dissapears at the end of the year, I guess I can't get the flu until March. That leave policy makes absolutely zero sense unless they change to giving you a lump sum at the beginning of the year, in which case all they're doing is stealing peoples' acrued leave for no real measurable gain.

The pay freeze is cowardly enough, making cuts across the board instead of properly reclassifying overpaid positions to the right grade. GS-1 positions hover right around minimum wage, use them if their appropriate. The changes to leave policy are nonsensical and are likely to just waste money for zero gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Beerdeer posted:

New posting just went up for Immigration Services Officers at the Nebraska Service Center. GS5-9 I think.

Anyone know if this is a sweet job? I do live in Nebraska and have vet status.