Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Hall goes up new york to train with Marcel fairly often, and he recently started competing under the Alliance banner. There's some no-gi footage on youtube too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Pres posted:

Here's a pretty awesome video of Marcelo Garcia rolling with Ryan Hall in a Gi.

http://www.lapelchoke.com/marcelo-garcia-rolls-gi-with-ryan-hall/
gently caress, Marcelo is just unreal to watch. Some of the movements he does, his timing, balance... It's just ridiculous. His hips...:allears:

Hall is a pretty respected grappler and Marcelo just eats him alive, especially in that gi video. Really gives you perspective on how far up the chain one can go.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
At Renzo Gracie Academy, we had our annual promotion ceremony this week. The academy promotes throughout the year but many are held until the annual ceremony. Here is a link to a short excerpt of the video from the ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sPnoaLxbQ

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 17, 2011

Iceman
Aug 23, 2003

Pres posted:

Here's a pretty awesome video of Marcelo Garcia rolling with Ryan Hall in a Gi.

http://www.lapelchoke.com/marcelo-garcia-rolls-gi-with-ryan-hall/

Watching someone as good as Ryan Hall just get styled on so badly really makes me think about how terrible I am in the grand scheme of things.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I posted this in the martial arts thread but also wanted to inform the grappling guys here as well. My friend, Rob Constance, of Renzo Gracie Hoboken is sponsoring a pro 16-man tournament, the Ultimate Absolute NYC to be held on July 30th in NYC featuring some of the best grapplers in the world. It's going to be a spectator event held at the Hotel Pennsylvania across from Penn Station/MSG.

fighters who have committed include:

Gregor Gracie
Joao Assis
Lucas Lepri
Braga Neto
Andre Galvao
Vinny Magalhaes
Lucas Leite
Davi Ramos
Cyborg
Pablo Popovitch
Gerry Rinaldi
Vagner Rocha
Marcelo Mafra
Abmar Barbosa

http://ultimateabsolutenyc.com/

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
gently caress. I just had to be going away that weekend...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Like I said in the A/T thread "fight/i train goon meet"? I know for a fact none of my friends will want to go.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

I posted this in the martial arts thread but also wanted to inform the grappling guys here as well. My friend, Rob Constance, of Renzo Gracie Hoboken is sponsoring a pro 16-man tournament, the Ultimate Absolute NYC to be held on July 30th in NYC featuring some of the best grapplers in the world. It's going to be a spectator event held at the Hotel Pennsylvania across from Penn Station/MSG.

fighters who have committed include:

Gregor Gracie
Joao Assis
Lucas Lepri
Braga Neto
Andre Galvao
Vinny Magalhaes
Lucas Leite
Davi Ramos
Cyborg
Pablo Popovitch
Gerry Rinaldi
Vagner Rocha
Marcelo Mafra
Abmar Barbosa

http://ultimateabsolutenyc.com/

That is one hell of a lineup.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Huh, its a long weekend in Canada so im really tempted to make the trek... do you know how much tickets are? Ill see how many friends I can rustle up to watch gay pyjama man hugging.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I will check with Rob. It is also being catered so food and drinks as well which I believe are included in the ticket price.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ok, it is mat side seating with food and drink included in the price. There is also a meet and greet with the fighters. First 2 rows are $125. Next 3 rows are $100. Standing room is $75. Rob wants to make this a professional well run tournament. Like a mini Abu Dhabi. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will attend.

Also if you come down, there are tons of places to visit for training. Renzo Gracie Academy, Marcelo's, Alliance NYC, and Shaolin.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2011

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
sick freaking lineup. howd they get all those guys to come out?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Not sure. I think good relationships with the guys and cash prizes. I know it took a long time to build the line up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Iceman posted:

Watching someone as good as Ryan Hall just get styled on so badly really makes me think about how terrible I am in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah I know a black belt who said he got beaten by Marcelo as fast as he beats me (whitebelt) in a roll, kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Like I said in the A/T thread "fight/i train goon meet"? I know for a fact none of my friends will want to go.

I never saw this thread because I dont go there. Would it be appropriate to move it here or is it full of bullshido throwdow bs?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I never saw this thread because I dont go there. Would it be appropriate to move it here or is it full of bullshido throwdow bs?

I don't even read that thread anymore, I have zero desire to moderate it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I don't even read that thread anymore, I have zero desire to moderate it

Fair enough, fine mod/sir!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Captain Log posted:

bullshit comes and goes but it's overall pretty level headed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

bullshit comes and goes but it's overall pretty level headed.

I usually figure the A/T thread is for bullshiting about training and answering questions for newcomers and this thread is for discussing high profile competitions.

In that thread we talk about us doing martial arts. In this thread we talk about other people doing it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

I usually figure the A/T thread is for bullshiting about training and answering questions for newcomers and this thread is for discussing high profile competitions.

In that thread we talk about us doing martial arts. In this thread we talk about other people doing it.

That sounds like a reasonable way to look at the threads. It's also my impression that the martial arts thread is moderated a little closer than the grappling one, seeing as this one is in PsP, and all.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You can feel free to discuss technique in here as well as long as you stick to grappling. I moderate this thread mostly to keep it on topic; it doesn't require much else since there doesn't tend to be a lot of shitposting in here.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
this is also grappling specific, whereas the other thread is for pretty much anything generally related to MAs. Ironically, we pretty much have the same posters because there are either very few non-grapplers posting here, or they have been run off by our grappler's alliance.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

this is also grappling specific, whereas the other thread is for pretty much anything generally related to MAs. Ironically, we pretty much have the same posters because there are either very few non-grapplers posting here, or they have been run off by our grappler's alliance.

I just imagine Ashida Kim hiding in the corner, too intimidated to post...

Edit: I hate how Garcia's reaction to Hall's extremely lethal half guard is just to pass like it is nothing. I know he is an amazing grappler, but it shouldn't be that easy. He really is incredible.

the yellow dart fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 26, 2011

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

the yellow dart posted:

I just imagine Ashida Kim hiding in the corner, too intimidated to post...

He's too busy writing his next book : "ANTIGRAPPLE : The Ninja Art Of Killing Brazilians. By Handsome Sifu Ashida Kim."

They consulted him for an episode of Deadliest Warrior. I'm -not- joking.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Hey, Death Bucket. Is the schedule out at Neutral Ground such that I could reasonably get some learning done just training Friday night, saturday, and sunday? I got a full-time job downtown which means I will actually have money to train soon, but if I went to WMMA their schedule would basically ensure that I was never at home, ever.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I guess this is as good a place for this as any :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHyjl4v0MU&t=175s

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
He bears the Name of Power.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

colonel_korn posted:

I guess this is as good a place for this as any :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHyjl4v0MU&t=175s

:slick:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here's the move from a higher angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qTQjVmOe0ZY

That poo poo is ridiculous.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
That's pretty awesome and everything but I'm more looking forward to the upcoming videos of imitators failing. Maybe we'll even get one where both guys try this right at the start and whack heads. What fun!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EafzHj184-0

This is pretty similar, and pretty amazing.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
grappling would be a lot more interesting to watch if the competitors wore sumo suits. it would basically eliminate closed guard (the scourge of entertainment) and also fat people are hilarious. who do i talk to about making this happen

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Book it, Dana

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

mobn posted:

Hey, Death Bucket. Is the schedule out at Neutral Ground such that I could reasonably get some learning done just training Friday night, saturday, and sunday? I got a full-time job downtown which means I will actually have money to train soon, but if I went to WMMA their schedule would basically ensure that I was never at home, ever.
You'd learn more than nothing but not as much as if you went to class during the week. Friday's only class is conditioning, followed by an open mat that's been pretty much dead for a year or so. Saturday has a pretty good open mat and the guy who runs it usually shows some judo for people who want to learn it. I think there's still the newbie BJJ class on Sunday, but I don't know for sure. For what it's worth, Eric Schafer just opened a school in Shorewood that's got some great guys there and a couple of Henry Matamoros' old guys started Pura Vida BJJ down in Walker's Point. No idea about either of their schedules, but they may have more directed classes during the weekend, I don't really know.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
This must be quite demoralising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Rob Constance of Renzo Gracie Hoboken and Kerberus NYC ran the Ultimate Absolute this weekend. There were some competitor changes (for example Pablo Popovitch couldn't come due to injury).

Final competitor list:

Warren Stout (Renzo Gracie)
Davi Ramos (Atos)
Rustam Chsiev (K-Dojo)
Alexander Ceconi (Rillian Gracie)
Gerry Rinaldi (Renzo Gracie)
J. J. Holmes (Alliance)
Shaheim Gattri (Renzo Gracie)
Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu
Antonio Braga Neto (Gordo BJJ)
Pelino Cruz (Gold Team Fighter)
Nolan Dutcher (Black/Blue)
Andre Galvao (Atos)
Marcus "Buchecha" Almeida (Checkmat)
Vinny "Pesao" Magalhaes (Xtreme Couture)
Abmar Barbosa (Yamasaki)
Daniel Gracie (Renzo Gracie)

Results:
http://www.adcombat.com/news/2011-07-31/andre-galvao-wins-ultimate-absolute-final-complete-results

Galvao took home the trophy.

NHB podcast
http://nhbnews.podomatic.com/entry/2011-07-31T16_42_30-07_00

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

This must be quite demoralising.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Most of the local tourneys around here have a 16 point slaughter rule which really makes sense to me. If the guy got a miracle sub in the closing seconds, he still got completely outgrappled and in no way would have deserved to win that match.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

This must be quite demoralising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't think it would be that demoralizing for adults. But there are some folks who get freaked out about that kind of thing... (Do you mean demoralizing by losing to a women or losing by such a large margin? Or both?)

I have to say my most demoralizing tournament feat was losing all my matches (5 or 6) in one day. To be fair this was my second comp and I had just gotten my blue belt at the time.

Honestly I did not hear about this event at all, but I'm on the other side of Washington State.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 1, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I overheard her mom talking to another parent at weigh ins apparently they send her down to LA on a regular basis to train with Eddie Bravo and Tito Ortiz. So at least that kid lost to a pro(also I'm pretty sure she didn't win her division).I saw a lot of adult matches decided by double digit point totals. One girl from my gym won her first match by 20 something points and then fought the same girl again(double elimination and they were the only two girls in the division) and beat her by 20 something again.

Also, I ended up winning blue belt 185 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

dokomoy posted:

I overheard her mom talking to another parent at weigh ins apparently they send her down to LA on a regular basis to train with Eddie Bravo and Tito Ortiz. So at least that kid lost to a pro(also I'm pretty sure she didn't win her division).I saw a lot of adult matches decided by double digit point totals. One girl from my gym won her first match by 20 something points and then fought the same girl again(double elimination and they were the only two girls in the division) and beat her by 20 something again.

Also, I ended up winning blue belt 185 lbs.

Since you went, did they have an overall good turn out? How well was the event run?