Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

hankor posted:

I think I can tell the subtle difference between onions and Schnittlauch, while the former needs to be in a potato salad in sparse amounts, the latter doesn't have any business in a potato salad unless it's to make it visually more interesting. I still have to agree with the statement that Schnittlauch rules though (don't ever make Rührei without it and don't forget the milk and optional salmon while you are at it.)

I exercised restraint when you were bad-mouthing southern german potato salad, but at least now I have certainty that you know naught of the culinary arts.

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Zwille posted:

They say Semmel in the Werner comics and that's, well as far from Bavaria as you can possibly get without leaving Germany.
If this is supposed to be a joke because the company who initially published the books is called "Semmel Verlach", then it's okay. But that's too subtle for the people in this thread who don't know about this.
Otherwise the default round/roundish little pieces of bread that are sold in bakeries are definitely not called "Semmeln" in Berlin or Hamburg (and probably nowhere outside of Bavaria). In Berlin, it's "Schrippen" and in Hamburg "Rundstücke" (if I remember correctly), and you'll open yourself up to ridicule if you point at those and call them "Semmeln". They also look different.
(If you REALLY want to get technical, some bakeries outside Bavaria MIGHT sometimes sell Semmeln as a specialty, but that still doesn't make them the default.)

There are some significant cultural differences between the Southern and Northern areas of Germany. Local dialects are part of them.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Knust, Knus, Kniest, Knistchen, Kniezchen, Knüppchen, Küppchen, Knaust, Knorz, Knörzel, Knüstchen, Knapp, Knäppchen, Knörzchen, Knerzla, Köppla, Rand, Ränftchen, Ranft, Ranften, Ranftl, Ränftel, Rauft, Rindl, Rumptschn, Knäusle, Knüssle, Mürggel, Riebel, Riebele, Scherzl, Knorze, Krüstchen, Giggel, Buckl

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Knust, Knus, Kniest, Knistchen, Kniezchen, Knüppchen, Küppchen, Knaust, Knorz, Knörzel, Knüstchen, Knapp, Knäppchen, Knörzchen, Knerzla, Köppla, Rand, Ränftchen, Ranft, Ranften, Ranftl, Ränftel, Rauft, Rindl, Rumptschn, Knäusle, Knüssle, Mürggel, Riebel, Riebele, Scherzl, Knorze, Krüstchen, Giggel, Buckl

Knapp :colbert:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

elwood posted:

Knapp :colbert:
Scherzerl. :reject:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Knust. :eng101:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Buuz'n :eng101:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Reiftle :eng101:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

flavor posted:

If this is supposed to be a joke because the company who initially published the books is called "Semmel Verlach", then it's okay. But that's too subtle for the people in this thread who don't know about this.
Otherwise the default round/roundish little pieces of bread that are sold in bakeries are definitely not called "Semmeln" in Berlin or Hamburg (and probably nowhere outside of Bavaria). In Berlin, it's "Schrippen" and in Hamburg "Rundstücke" (if I remember correctly), and you'll open yourself up to ridicule if you point at those and call them "Semmeln". They also look different.
(If you REALLY want to get technical, some bakeries outside Bavaria MIGHT sometimes sell Semmeln as a specialty, but that still doesn't make them the default.)

There are some significant cultural differences between the Southern and Northern areas of Germany. Local dialects are part of them.

It wasn't supposed to be a joke, maybe I did mix it up because of the publishing house, but I'm fairly sure they still used "Semmel" in some form in the comics - either that or it was in one of Seyfried's comics where they have a Chinese trying to buy a roll at a German bakery, going "Blödchen" at first, getting smacked, then asking for a "Schlippe" until finally having a bright idea and asking for a "Semmer" :v: Anyhow, I rarely see "Rundstücke" in Hamburg though.

Funnily enough, Wikipedia has this:

quote:

Semmel steht für:
eine regionale Bezeichnung für Brötchen
Semmel (Rosinenbrot), in Norddeutschland eine Art von Rosinenbrot mit Orangeat und Zitronat

So it's actually a regular North German speciality as well as a regional variant of "Brötchen". Just wondering: What do you consider a "Semmel", exactly? It sounds like something Southern that's entirely unlike regular Brötchen from what you're saying.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

Hungry Gerbil posted:

None of the above. It's Knorzel.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
The word you're all looking for is "Kanten".

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Actually it's "Knöößli"

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
That's clearly an Endstück.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

niethan posted:

That's clearly an Endstück.

Don't you bring this beautiful argument to a screeching halt with actual words!

e: Wait, I'd actually call it "Anschnitt".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Kabbm or Käbbla, depending on size.

edit:

Stuhlmajor posted:

Buuz'n :eng101:
Butzn is another word around here that I was looking for, but couldn't remember.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 21, 2011

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Is there even an English word for that?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
You would have to have real bread for that, so I guess no?

heel

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Several.

e:f,b

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Interesting how this thread explodes every time food chat comes up!

Ränftl.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Kabbm or Käbbla, depending on size.

edit:

Butzn is another word around here that I was looking for, but couldn't remember.

Oh, yeah, with a t, my bad. The word is also used for the core of an apple if that's what you're thinking of.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Gehäuse!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Knust and Krotzen, respectively.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Stuhlmajor posted:

Oh, yeah, with a t, my bad. The word is also used for the core of an apple if that's what you're thinking of.
Nope, that's a Abflgriebes.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Or Apfelbutze/butzen/butza. Writing dialect is hard/stupid.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

frankenfreak posted:

Nope, that's a Abflgriebes.

That's an odd way to write Apfelgriebsch.

flavor posted:

:eng101:
I bought some "Brötchen" today, let's take a look at my buns.

These are "Semmeln", note that these are a single "Semmeln" and not "Doppelsemmeln" like one would expect.

The left one is a "Schrippe" and the right one a "Knüppel".

If you live in the area support these guys, they are really good and cheap as gently caress for a bakery that actually bakes.

Tomorrow I'll make some "Rührei" with milk, Schnittlauch and salmon, I'm sure you are on the edge of your seats.

hankor fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 22, 2011

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

My ex used to live there, maybe I bought some from them, I don't remember.

I guess this clears up a lot of confusion, and please post pics of your salmon tortilla.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
What this proves is that the government has failed in its duty to pass a Semmelbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetz.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

ArchangeI posted:

Kleinbrotbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetz

:)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Kleinweißbrotbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetz. :colbert:

ninja: Seems like we need a Kleinweißbrotbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetzverordnung :v:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Zwille posted:

Kleinweißbrotbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetz. :colbert:

ninja: Seems like we need a Kleinweißbrotbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetzverordnung :v:

Ne, wir bräuchten Ausführungsvorschriften zum Kleinweißbrotbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetz (AVKlBrbeG).

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
^^The BrotG was abolished in 1980.

ArchangeI posted:

What this proves is that the government has failed in its duty to pass a Semmelbezeichnungsbestimmungsgesetz.

Don't be silly the consumer can be trusted to inform himself what constitutes a proper Semmel in his area, the regulations concerning bread are actually rather short. You could actually make a claim that the bayrische Semmel could be open to protected geographical status but as far as I know it hasn't been tried yet and probably is not unique enough to warrant it.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Um es mal zusammenzufassen "Brot: serious business!"

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

In Austria thinks like that are officialy defined in the Codex Alimentarius Austriacus, here's what it has to say about Semmeln:

quote:

Weißgebäck, das mit der Sachbezeichnung "Handsemmel", Wiener Kaisersemmel" oder "Kaisersemmel mir hervorhebender Bezeichnung" in Verkehr gebracht wird, ist ein handgewirktes Weißgebäck mit fünfteiligem Stern, das sich durch eine lange Teigführung (zumindest 2 Stunden) auszeichnet und dem keine Zusatzstoffe außer Lecithin und L-Ascorbinsäure zugesetzt werden.

That still doesn't define common Rund- or "Maschinsemmeln" and Langsemmeln, though.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 23, 2011

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

Kleinbrotbestimmungsgesetz (KBsG) isn't sufficient. We would need to back this up with an executive order, Kleinbrotbestimmungsdurchführungsverordnung (KBDVo), for specificity.

This will suffice until the EU passes a Kleinbrotbestimmungsharmoniesierungsrichtlinie (KBHRl).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

hankor posted:

:eng101:
I bought some "Brötchen" today, let's take a look at my buns.
While I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on all things Brötchen, I'm feeling largely vindicated by this Wikipedia article: "Brötchen" is the generic name for the superset and there are different regional types and names: Schrippen in Berlin, Rundstuecke in Hamburg and Semmeln in Bavaria. (Go to "Regionale Bezeichnungen" in the article.) The "Kaisersemmel" shown on that page is what I remember having in Munich.

Of course something can be sold as "Semmeln" in Berlin, but that doesn't make it the regional standard.

hankor posted:

If you live in the area support these guys, they are really good and cheap as gently caress for a bakery that actually bakes.
But they wrote "Bon's" on the receipt - ouch!

hankor posted:

Tomorrow I'll make some "Rührei" with milk, Schnittlauch and salmon, I'm sure you are on the edge of your seats.
I am, that sounds very good.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

flavor posted:

But they wrote "Bon's" on the receipt - ouch!

What do you mean, that's authentic German! :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

What do you mean, that's authentic German! :v:

It's right up there with Portemonnaie and Toilette.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

HenryEx posted:

It's right up there with Portemonnaie and Toilette.
I think Zwille got what I meant: It's not about the word "Bon", but about the way they formed the plural with an apostrophe before the "s", which is wrong but common for uneducated "German's". ;)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To wit: here in Weimar, the city where they are flaunting Germany's cultural and literary heritage at every street corner, I spotted the caption "Goethe's Haus" today.

e: so plural is not genitive, still a common apostrophe mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I guess that means we've hit peak apostrophe now, innit?