Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm about to buy the 1600 minute family plan with 2 Nexus Ses and a Samsung Replenish for someone who "just wants facebook and a decent camera".

I want the $125 per line port credit, which will cover the costs of phones and activation, so I'm either visiting a corporate store today or doing it online / phone, but I just want to double check that nobody is waiving the activation fees anymore.

Also, will I qualify for the port credit if I buy them today? Should I go to a corporate store to make sure I get in before the deadline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

I bought an EVO 4G on launch day and it's EOL before my 2 year contract is even up. Ouch.
I think the EOL date is when they stop stocking the device and advertising it on their website. I'm not sure about stores, they may get purged even sooner.

It makes sense, given that the Evo's successor is out now and the Epic's should be by then. The real issue is (feature) updates. They're definitely expected while a device is still selling to keep it competitive, but if ICS hits 3-4 months after the EOL date, I don't know what to expect. Historically I don't think official updates have happened, but I don't think there's been as much expectation/demand as there has with Android. And Google's 18 month promise hasn't kicked in yet.

Also, unlike the Hero & Moment which were pretty slow and well usurped by their EOLs, the Evo should be quite capable of running ICS and the Epic 2 is barely an improvement over the original. Perhaps though, since the hardware is close enough, updates will happen anyways since they're incremental effort. But who knows.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Weinertron posted:

I'm about to buy the 1600 minute family plan with 2 Nexus Ses and a Samsung Replenish for someone who "just wants facebook and a decent camera".
I'd be wary of the Replenish. It's a low-end Samsung Android device, and while I don't know very much about it, that's typically a bad sign (see Intercept, Transform). In other words, I wouldn't expect it to even do Facebook well, and it definitely has a low-end 2 MP camera. I know free phones are attractive, but I really question if it's worth the subsidy and might become a regretful purchase.

Unless a hardware keyboard is absolutely needed, would the LG Optimus S suffice? It's only $20 with the subsidy and is better-or-equal spec'd in every department. Plus it's very reliable, popular, and very well liked (although LG's more recent devices are less well received).

As for ordering, I admit I'm very much out of the loop. But at one time you could only get EPRP online/over the phone, although you can do upgrades in corporate stores. But Sprint does overnight shipping, so if you order them "soon" they should arrive tomorrow. Also, historically the activation fee was waived online I thought, although that might no longer be the case.

Personally I'd just order and port online and be done with it. If nothing else, it's a verified method that will get the job done. And yes, if the port happens by Saturday you should be eligible for the credit. I'd still try to activate the phones and register the credit by the 23rd to avoid any snafus.

Edit: Yup, avoid the Replenish.

engadget posted:

The CPU works okay for normal tasks, but we noticed some performance concerns that could be related to either the processor or buggy firmware; we've seen better performance out of other Android phones with the same specs, so we're leaning toward the latter. Our issues stemmed when, over the course of two days, the device crashed and rebooted three separate times -- each time occurring as it was pushed to the upper limits of its performance.
That's going to be an annoying source of frustration, and I don't expect it to be fixed.

Also, engadget doesn't like the "cheap display and flimsy chassis", the former of which is also the source of a number of application incompatibilities. Which is unsurprising, as QVGA displays are inferior to the HVGA minimum found on Android devices dating from 2008.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 21, 2011

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So I just got my EVO 3D, and was wondering if my google contacts were supposed to show up in People? I see a drop down for Facebook contacts, but not for google.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd be wary of the Replenish. It's a low-end Samsung Android device, and while I don't know very much about it, that's typically a bad sign (see Intercept, Transform). In other words, I wouldn't expect it to even do Facebook well, and it definitely has a low-end 2 MP camera. I know free phones are attractive, but I really question if it's worth the subsidy and might become a regretful purchase.

Unless a hardware keyboard is absolutely needed, would the LG Optimus S suffice? It's only $20 with the subsidy and is better-or-equal spec'd in every department. Plus it's very reliable, popular, and very well liked (although LG's more recent devices are less well received).

As for ordering, I admit I'm very much out of the loop. But at one time you could only get EPRP online/over the phone, although you can do upgrades in corporate stores. But Sprint does overnight shipping, so if you order them "soon" they should arrive tomorrow. Also, historically the activation fee was waived online I thought, although that might no longer be the case.

Personally I'd just order and port online and be done with it. If nothing else, it's a verified method that will get the job done. And yes, if the port happens by Saturday you should be eligible for the credit. I'd still try to activate the phones and register the credit by the 23rd to avoid any snafus.

Edit: Yup, avoid the Replenish.

That's going to be an annoying source of frustration, and I don't expect it to be fixed.

Also, engadget doesn't like the "cheap display and flimsy chassis", the former of which is also the source of a number of application incompatibilities. Which is unsurprising, as QVGA displays are inferior to the HVGA minimum found on Android devices dating from 2008.

Here's the thing: the Samsung Replenish is actually a good buy. Don't go only off engadget, other sites liked the phone. I hate Samsung and will tell you that I have had good luck with the Replenish yet. its a matter of whether it matches your needs: the phone is not super fast, it doesn't have super fast graphics, small screen, etc. But the phone is $0-30 and you save $10 a month. For basic phone users who just want facebook, maps, internet and "that barcode scanner app," the replenish is a pretty solid buy. The Optimus is better, but the Optimus is an extra $10 a month, and in some cases isn't worth it as a result.

Also, bear in mind the Replenish has had at least 1 software update since the engadget review. And it is pure stock android, no Samsung poo poo.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=8177

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well, I feel bad for wasting a Sprint Corporate store's time. Nobody in the whole store had ever heard of the EPRP plans, and the best plan they could ring up for me was $25 a month more.

I guess I'm ordering online and hoping to manage to get activated by the Saturday deadline.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Here's the thing: the Samsung Replenish is actually a good buy. Don't go only off engadget, other sites liked the phone.
Reboots as engadget described is an objective concern, but if you've had reasonable luck with them--that's good enough for me.

Duckman2008 posted:

and you save $10 a month.
I missed that. So Sprint has "Android dumbphones" now, at least with regard to their plan pricing structure?

Yeah, that changes things quite a bit.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think the EOL date is when they stop stocking the device and advertising it on their website. I'm not sure about stores, they may get purged even sooner.
From what I've seen, the EOL date is when all stores should be either out or using up the last of their inventory and no more is available to order.

It's also pretty normal for a model to be replaced every year, and some even more often than that. Like you said though, the EVO is selling so well that it could stay around even longer which makes me think that something huge is coming out then that's still unknown.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't sweat long-term updates on the Evo; after all, it does have a CM7 port. It may not ever get an official ICS upgrade but I'm sure the CM guys will make it happen if it can work.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Weinertron posted:

Well, I feel bad for wasting a Sprint Corporate store's time. Nobody in the whole store had ever heard of the EPRP plans, and the best plan they could ring up for me was $25 a month more.

I guess I'm ordering online and hoping to manage to get activated by the Saturday deadline.

Sprint Store Saga: Employee called me saying he could actually sell an EPRP plan, I went back in, spent another 90 minutes waiting, and then he can't actually.

So I ordered online, gave them a ton of info about number porting, and went ahead and registered for the port credit. After doing that I realized I was supposed to wait until activation, I hope I didn't mess anything up. 3 smartphones is $375 in credit!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Can any of the Sprint guys let me know if there are any known issues in the Toledo, Ohio area?

I've basically not had ANY data service the last day and a half.

My EVO still works just fine on Wifi though... Can just the data radio go bad?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
I'm in the Detroit area. My coverage has been a little spotty(random 1X or roaming) in places it's usually good, I just assumed it was related to power outages in the area.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Werid. I even called them yesterday and they said there were no known issues.

I'm flashing to Fresh 4.2 so I can call in again, and if they need to do any dial codes, I'll be able to do them.

I didn't realize Detroit was having power outages. Due to the heat or that absurd storm that came through on Monday?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did that rumored poor-signal-fixing update for the NS4G ever happen?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Ozmodiar posted:

Werid. I even called them yesterday and they said there were no known issues.

I'm flashing to Fresh 4.2 so I can call in again, and if they need to do any dial codes, I'll be able to do them.

I didn't realize Detroit was having power outages. Due to the heat or that absurd storm that came through on Monday?

I think both. Redford and some of Detroit lost power. 6 mile and Telegraph was out today and yesterday. My city(Ferndale) is/was 70% out, I'm part of the luck 30% though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My little sister is looking at the HTC Shift. Looking at reviews it looks OK, is there anything sketchy about it that she should know?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

fknlo posted:

My little sister is looking at the HTC Shift. Looking at reviews it looks OK, is there anything sketchy about it that she should know?

It's a great phone overall, but apparently the Gingerbread update is problematic. My wife hasn't downloaded it yet. The only issue she has is that it's super easy to accidentally change the volume when trying to slide and close the keyboard. She ended up getting an app that makes you confirm volume changes to deal with that. Otherwise, no complaints.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Ozmodiar posted:

Can any of the Sprint guys let me know if there are any known issues in the Toledo, Ohio area?

I've basically not had ANY data service the last day and a half.

My EVO still works just fine on Wifi though... Can just the data radio go bad?

I can check tomorrow when I go to work. I just don't have access to the SA forums while I am there... they are pretty strict about what we can and can't do on our work computers. Keep in mind I work in a call center setting (even though we really aren't one).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Shed posted:

I can check tomorrow when I go to work. I just don't have access to the SA forums while I am there... they are pretty strict about what we can and can't do on our work computers. Keep in mind I work in a call center setting (even though we really aren't one).

And you don't have the Awful App?

Thanks though. I got through, and apparently there is a 4G issue in various areas, but no reported 3G issues.

Of course, once I did a wipe & install of Fresh 4.2, things started working just fine, so I decided to go ahead and do a full update to CM 7.1 and things are working just fine now as well. It's weird...but it seems like something got effed up out of nowhere on CM 7.0.3.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Ozmodiar posted:

And you don't have the Awful App?

Thanks though. I got through, and apparently there is a 4G issue in various areas, but no reported 3G issues.

Of course, once I did a wipe & install of Fresh 4.2, things started working just fine, so I decided to go ahead and do a full update to CM 7.1 and things are working just fine now as well. It's weird...but it seems like something got effed up out of nowhere on CM 7.0.3.

Crap! I forgot about that app. Boy do I feel awful now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Did that rumored poor-signal-fixing update for the NS4G ever happen?

No, but Sprint reps confirmed that the update exists for the phone and that it's still coming. Google delayed the update for some reason.

Now there's people arguing when it'll come. I tried getting information on Android Central as their Nexus S 4G forum was pretty active about it but it's no use as no one can stop arguing about if the problem is widespread or not and what is a rumor and what isn't.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 22, 2011

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I just got my EVO 3D and for some reason it won't let me change the Media volume. everytime I try and increase it, and click ok it keeps going back to being muted. Is there a fix for this somehow?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

From the OP

Duckman2008 posted:

****Sprint is currently offering Port Credits (IE Sprint pays to to switch to them) to switch to Sprint, and they are extended until September. See FAQs for more details ****

Was that last September? The site I'm seeing (sprint.com/switchtosprint) says they end 7/23. I have a friend who wants to port in, but he would prefer to wait for the galaxy s II. Do we know if they've been extended?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

fyallm posted:

I just got my EVO 3D and for some reason it won't let me change the Media volume. everytime I try and increase it, and click ok it keeps going back to being muted. Is there a fix for this somehow?

Take off the back and put it back on, sounds like your button is just stuck, alternatively reboot the phone.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
So I guess there was a Sprint campus tour for a bunch of bloggers and they posted a bunch of pictures from it, pretty cool:

Campus: http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-350/
Usability Lab: http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-351
Mobile Technology Lab: http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-352
New nodes: http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-353
STIC Lab: http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-354

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I love how a lot of the tours have "we asked about the sprint iphone and they seemed really unhappy about us asking" in them.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

spidoman posted:

Take off the back and put it back on, sounds like your button is just stuck, alternatively reboot the phone.

I think it had to do something with the spiderman game. I went in that this morning and played it for a bit, and then when I came out it started acting weird. i went back in it and closed it again, and then the sound worked...

But I do have some questions about the 3d photos the camera takes. It seems like there are 2 pictures and it is kinda blurry instead of being 1. Am I just not looking at the camera at the right angle?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

fyallm posted:

I think it had to do something with the spiderman game. I went in that this morning and played it for a bit, and then when I came out it started acting weird. i went back in it and closed it again, and then the sound worked...

But I do have some questions about the 3d photos the camera takes. It seems like there are 2 pictures and it is kinda blurry instead of being 1. Am I just not looking at the camera at the right angle?

You could be looking at it from a bad angle, or the picture could be misaligned. Try hitting the magic wand icon and manually adjusting the alignment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

From the OP

Was that last September? The site I'm seeing (sprint.com/switchtosprint) says they end 7/23. I have a friend who wants to port in, but he would prefer to wait for the galaxy s II. Do we know if they've been extended?

Port credits are extended until September 2011, so he should be good to go.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Leathal posted:

You could be looking at it from a bad angle, or the picture could be misaligned. Try hitting the magic wand icon and manually adjusting the alignment.

When I click the wand it just says polarize. Am I an idiot? Is there a tutorial on how to take pictures

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

fyallm posted:

When I click the wand it just says polarize. Am I an idiot? Is there a tutorial on how to take pictures

After the picture has already been taken, that's when you tap the wand.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

I have/had a Shift. At first I really liked it. Or at least I did until the Gingerbread update hit. Basically, it went from a phone that I had no complaints about to a buggy mess. The two biggest annoyances were the fact that Sense would have to randomly reload after exiting apps which would lock up the phone for ten seconds or so and the fact that while composing text messages I'd randomly get kicked out of the screen where you type in your message. Thankfully, what I had typed would be saved as a draft but it was still super annoying. Also, the swype implementation was basically broken. Not a big deal since the keyboard was why I got the phone in the first place but it still would have been nice to have as an option.

The annoyances from the update bothered me enough that I ended up just getting an Evo 3D and I am MUCH happier now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

big mean giraffe posted:

The new sense lockscreen is totally different and afaik you can't yet duplicate it in widgetlocker.
Yeah, not possible yet but I asked the dev about it and he's planning to add the capability.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you
Why is it that android devices seem to explode as soon as they are updated to a newer version of android? The Epic, Evo, and Evo Shift all have had this problem and they never seem to get addressed by anyone or patched as far as i've heard.

The Epic seems stuck with a weird bug that causes random phone numbers to lose their area code when trying to text with the new update and the Evo is all sorts of hosed up. They also have all lost battery life.

I have an iPhone and I want to switch to Sprint and get an Android device but they seem to have so many software/battery problems.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

fyallm posted:

Does the 3D effect work for the pre-loaded photos on the phone? If not, you might have a bad screen and Sprint should get you a new phone.

Alternatively, make sure you are holding the phone steady and only take 3d pictures of things at least a foot or so away.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

change my name posted:

I love how a lot of the tours have "we asked about the sprint iphone and they seemed really unhappy about us asking" in them.

I imagine they get that question on just about every tour. Just like their CSR's get it on every phone call. When I worked QA at a Verizon center, every other call/survey made mention of the iPhone when those rumors started.

I would almost ask it myself, what with all the rumors flying around now. I'm hoping they pan out for my upcoming November update because my Pre (while it's not buggy or broken) is slow and old, and I'm pretty much over sliders at this point.

I'm sure I can make do with an Evo 3D/Nokia super Windows Phone, etc. if the iPhone doesn't make the jump.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fire place posted:

Why is it that android devices seem to explode as soon as they are updated to a newer version of android? The Epic, Evo, and Evo Shift all have had this problem and they never seem to get addressed by anyone or patched as far as i've heard.

The Epic seems stuck with a weird bug that causes random phone numbers to lose their area code when trying to text with the new update and the Evo is all sorts of hosed up. They also have all lost battery life.

I have an iPhone and I want to switch to Sprint and get an Android device but they seem to have so many software/battery problems.

Not all have, the Evo got an update to 2.2 with minimal problems if I remember. Honestly, even the Evo 2.3 update was minimal in terms of bugs. Its more the Shift and Epic that have been problems. I don't get what your point is completely, iPhones get software bugs that Apple denies for a while and then randomly fixes. There are ups and downs to both platforms, so I don't think you will get a buggy, lasts 3 hours mess of a phone just because it is Android. Just buy the Evo 3D, phone seems absolutely solid so far.

dexplosivo posted:

I imagine they get that question on just about every tour. Just like their CSR's get it on every phone call. When I worked QA at a Verizon center, every other call/survey made mention of the iPhone when those rumors started.

I would almost ask it myself, what with all the rumors flying around now. I'm hoping they pan out for my upcoming November update because my Pre (while it's not buggy or broken) is slow and old, and I'm pretty much over sliders at this point.

I'm sure I can make do with an Evo 3D/Nokia super Windows Phone, etc. if the iPhone doesn't make the jump.

I know I've said it before, but it is so drat irritating how many times i get asked about the iPhone coming to Sprint. I keep wanting to say, "hang on, let me get my pal Dan Hesse on the line, he was just telling me yesterday," or "oh of course we are. I don't want you to buy a phone today, you should wait 6 months." My favorite is the majority of them ask just out of curiosity, and then just end up buying an Evo or Evo 3D.

Mail-in rebates hit Sprint today, which is a major bummer for me :/

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Octavian posted:

Does the 3D effect work for the pre-loaded photos on the phone? If not, you might have a bad screen and Sprint should get you a new phone.

Alternatively, make sure you are holding the phone steady and only take 3d pictures of things at least a foot or so away.

I used my SD Card from my EVO so I don't have anything preloaded.. but in thinking it was that I wad to close. Thanks for the help!

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
I went running like usual with my evo and it got a little too covered in sweat :( Now there is moisture under the screen and the ear speaker doesn't work. I have the sprint insurance but I have to wait til Monday to call them I guess.

What do you gents think my best option is?

Pay deductible for a replacement phone? (will this be a refurbished or new at the store phone? will I have to wait for it?)
Order a new earspeaker, attempt to fix it myself, and live with the moisture behind the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isaac Asimov posted:

I went running like usual with my evo and it got a little too covered in sweat :( Now there is moisture under the screen and the ear speaker doesn't work. I have the sprint insurance but I have to wait til Monday to call them I guess.

What do you gents think my best option is?

Pay deductible for a replacement phone? (will this be a refurbished or new at the store phone? will I have to wait for it?)
Order a new earspeaker, attempt to fix it myself, and live with the moisture behind the screen?

Depends on your preference, but if you can't live with it get the replacement. It would be a $100 deductible, but that's unfortunately the cheapest option. You could also just fix the earpiece yourself, and if you still don't like it THEN order the refurb. Refurb Evos are mostly fine, I had one charger port go out but overall I wouldn't cringe at the thought of a refurb.

You could also call retentions and see how much you would have to pay to get an early upgrade. For instance, if you are a year into your contract, Sprint will let you get an early full upgrade for $75. A bit more expensive, but then you could get the 3D/Photon.

Comes down to your personal preference, how much time you have and what you are looking for.