Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Follow the Best Show Gems podcast. It has some if the best calls with Jon. I recommend one they put up a few months ago with Jon as Gene Simmons

That one is fontastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Binowru posted:

Whenever Doug records on the road or somewhere other than the Upright Citizens Brigade theater, it goes into the iTunes album section for sale. I think Doug has said before he'd like to offer them for free (or for 99 cents) but iTunes wouldn't let him.

Oh, thanks, I had no idea there were episodes that didn't appear on the RSS feed.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Bro Dad posted:

You guys should totally check this week's Who Charted with Marc Maron.

Yeah, that one was a really great Who Charted. I hope they do end up making a song together, that would be pretty amazing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Fake Edgar Wright was unreal.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Just got back from checking out the space for Lou Reads Live... Still waiting for them to finalize the date.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Which episode of The Best Show features Four Loko? I've just started listening to this show, and I love it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Which episode of The Best Show features Four Loko? I've just started listening to this show, and I love it.

2010 holiday party, 12/14/10. The previous episode had just Mike drinking it and is also funny, but this episode is epic.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Its like the first or second week of December 2010, featuring minor television personality John Hodgman.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

The newest "Skeptic Tank" entitled "IMPRISONED" with Joey "Coco" Diaz sheds a lot of light on his criminal backstory. A good listen for people that like him from Rogan and wonder what he's about.

This is pretty good. Hard to follow at some points because of the way Joey tells stories but really interesting.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A more recent Best Show would be when they take a tour of the hate pit on January 11, 2011. An even more recent great one is May 10, 2011 when Paul Scheer calls in on the set of Piranha 3-D 2 and Tom imagines a musical based on Chicago's early 90s alt-rock scene (and I think this is where we learn that Chicago is the land of the tuffs.)

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Just that summary of Best Show episodes made me laugh. I'm becoming infatuated with Scharpling's sense of humor.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Any episode with Paul F. Tompkins in studio is an amazing episode. Especially the one where they mock the Gathering of the Juggalos

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
The episode from last year with PFT, Wally Wackiman, and the H Man is my go-to Best Show recommendation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Strange Matter posted:

Fake Edgar Wright was unreal.

Who's playing him, my brain is confused by the whole thing!

edit: ah they announced it at the end of the game. Pretty good impression!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 22, 2011

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Joey Diaz is the latest guest on Talkin' poo poo with Jim and Eddie. Worlds colliding! Unfortunately Jason isn't there to get absolutely destroyed, but this should be awesome regardless.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The pHo posted:

For those who don't know much about it, 'Attack the Block' that they were plugging on CBB is very, very good and you should absolutely go see it if you live in one of the 7 major cities that exist in the US.

Yeah! I saw it in the free screening a couple of months ago here in Seattle and it's really fun. If you like "Shaun of the Dead" at all then you'll at least enjoy this movie. I wouldn't go far as to say it's amazing, but it is very entertaining.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
This is more stand-up than podcasts, but I think people will appreciate it regardless: the entire two-disc 2007 Comedy Death Ray album is on Spotify. Features PFT, David Cross, Patton Oswalt, Scott Auckerman, Nick Thune, and waaay more.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1nXjYSKB4TMY4yMtRjK2tl

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
The Best Use of Four Loko in a podcast goes to Cyberthug episode 2. RIP.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

One of my favorite Best Show Gems is Tom prank calling Bruce Willis. One caveat is that the first segment is hilarious and the second kind of borders on the tedious side.

If you haven't seen them yet, check out a few of the music videos Tom's directed. They're pretty good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Yeah! I saw it in the free screening a couple of months ago here in Seattle and it's really fun. If you like "Shaun of the Dead" at all then you'll at least enjoy this movie. I wouldn't go far as to say it's amazing, but it is very entertaining.

How did you cope with the accents and terminology? When I saw it I thought 'drat this can't export, nobody outside of this country is going to understand a word they say', but I guess I've been proven wrong!

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I just recently got into Best Show as well, and it's so fantastic. I'm especially enjoying recently whenever Tom starts worrying that this episode is going to end up in "the rest" of Podmass.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm curious, does the Best Show use that 6 minute long repetitive intro every single time? I listened to one and it wasn't for me so I moved on, but I find it really weird that people bitch about 30 second gig plugs in other podcasts but this show has had nothing but praise, despite having easily the longest and most annoying intro I've ever heard in a podcast

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm curious, does the Best Show use that 6 minute long repetitive intro every single time? I listened to one and it wasn't for me so I moved on, but I find it really weird that people bitch about 30 second gig plugs in other podcasts but this show has had nothing but praise, despite having easily the longest and most annoying intro I've ever heard in a podcast

It's a radio show - the first intro is the intro to the show, then he plays music, then the second intro gets you to the show. On the podcast, they have to edit out the music, so it sounds like one giant intro.

Also, the Best Show intros are awesome.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Now it rotates, but when you get into the show, you enjoy recognizing some of the callers and the different Wurster characters.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That was the first thing I thought the first time I listened. Holy poo poo, this show has 3 theme songs? If the episode I listened to didn't have Tom talking before the themes like he sometimes does I might have never made it to the good stuff. It's really hard to skip on the WFMU app, too, because the timeline is so small and it's a 3 hour podcast. Luckily I usually download it so I can use the <<<30 second feature on my phone.

Actually, most podcast streaming apps I've tried suck and lose your place. I think This American Life finally fixed it so I actually use that one. It's nice to free up the space on my phone, but then I would have to take a screencap whenever I get out of my car so I can get close to finding where I stopped.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The converse of all this is Superego, and how awesome they are about dividing the shows up into chapters, with different pictures for each part and everything. It'd be great if other shows did that (particularly WTF; I'd love to skip right past the monologue)

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
http://merch.uhhyeahdude.com/product/uyd-challenge-coins

Man UYD is trying to get PAID. I just want a t-shirt. :(

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

If I lived in LA I would totally buy one of those.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Riptor posted:

The converse of all this is Superego, and how awesome they are about dividing the shows up into chapters, with different pictures for each part and everything. It'd be great if other shows did that (particularly WTF; I'd love to skip right past the monologue)

I remember The Bugle doing that a few times, but I can't remember why only one random one was like that and every other time I download it its has no artist information on it.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Semi unrelated question but is it possible to sync the podcasts you have on your laptop and on your desktop computer since it's on the same itunes account?

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Vince Videogames posted:

Semi unrelated question but is it possible to sync the podcasts you have on your laptop and on your desktop computer since it's on the same itunes account?

You can with the Zune marketplace, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the world who uses that.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I find it really weird that people bitch about 30 second gig plugs

You really need to let this go.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 22, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Riptor posted:

I'd like it if my iPod could bleep out the phrase "kick in some shekels". I'm not in any way opposed to Maron trying to make money, I just hate that phrase for some reason.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Evil Agita posted:

You really need to let this go.
Calm down, not everything's about you.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Calm down, not everything's about you.

I wasn't saying the comment had anything to do with me. SA has had a lot of people getting into internet slap fights over disagreements over media in TV/IV lately and I would hate to see it happen here. Apparently some people don't like gig plugs and you do. Ok.

What do you mean it would have something to do with me? I don't get it.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Buh. So I guess The Film Vault is over, at least in its latest incarnation. So what are people's favorite comedy/movie podcasts? Other than Doug natch.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

CortezFantastic posted:

No doubt. I have a couple of shirts but goddamn! While it's kind of cool, fifty bucks is a lot to pay for something that nobody will ever appreciate but the owner.

Am I supposed to just bust it out in a crowd and be like "What's up!?"

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The pHo posted:

How did you cope with the accents and terminology? When I saw it I thought 'drat this can't export, nobody outside of this country is going to understand a word they say', but I guess I've been proven wrong!

I didn't find it too alienating (no pun intended). While I am a bit of a fan of a lot of British fare, mostly caper movies like "Lock, Stock" or things like "Shaun of the Dead", I don't consider myself especially an Anglophile. I had no problem parsing what was said, nor did my girl who is not as versed in it as I.

I don't think the dialogue was too drenched in British slang for the average American to figure out what they're getting at. I'd bet that most people going to see it (nerds) know what they're getting into and that really diminishes the amount of people that wouldn't "get it". You wouldn't believe how many people here LOVE "Dr. Who", but I can't stand it. Oddly, MY GIRLFRIEND and I love "Keeping Up Appearances". I like a bunch of other British shows as well.

Keep in mind that a lot of chav, council flat, ghetto, whatever you call it, slang is largely appropriated from American hip-hop, so there's a bit of overlap. It might sound odd to you, but as it seems everybody loves foreign accents no matter where they are, British ghetto speech sounds loving awesome to me (as an American intimately familiar with ghetto culture). Roots Manuva and Dizzee Rascal sound like complete badasses to me.

Wow. I'm going on and on. Hope this answers your question. As I love language I was really interested in replying to your post comprehensively. Cheers!

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 23, 2011

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Buh. So I guess The Film Vault is over, at least in its latest incarnation. So what are people's favorite comedy/movie podcasts? Other than Doug natch.
Huh, I didn't realize they were shutting it down. I haven't kept up in a while but they seemed to be having fun with it. Did they say why specifically?

It's been mentioned before, but Comedy Film Nerds is my favorite movie podcast, it's shaped up into a really consistently good show. It's not always the funniest show though, as a lot of the actual movie discussion tends toward the more serious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I didn't find it too alienating (no pun intended). While I am a bit of a fan of a lot of British fare, mostly caper movies like "Lock, Stock" or things like "Shaun of the Dead", I don't consider myself especially an Anglophile. I had no problem parsing what was said, nor did my girl who is not as versed in it as I.

I don't think the dialogue was too drenched in British slang for the average American to figure out what they're getting at. I'd bet that most people going to see it (nerds) know what they're getting into and that really diminishes the amount of people that wouldn't "get it". You wouldn't believe how many people here LOVE "Dr. Who", but I can't stand it. Oddly, MY GIRLFRIEND and I love "Keeping Up Appearances". I like a bunch of other British shows as well.

Keep in mind that a lot of chav, council flat, ghetto, whatever you call it, slang is largely appropriated from American hip-hop, so there's a bit of overlap. It might sound odd to you, but as it seems everybody loves foreign accents no matter where they are, British ghetto speech sounds loving awesome to me (as an American intimately familiar with ghetto culture). Roots Manuva and Dizzee Rascal sound like complete badasses to me.

Wow. I'm going on and on. Hope this answers your question. As I love language I was really interested in replying to your post comprehensively. Cheers!

As an aside, Keeping Up Appearances is generally not that well regarded in the UK, except perhaps for the elderly and the mentally ill. That said, at least it's not My Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I have a decent chunk of iTunes credit so I bought the DLM Tournament finals and holy poo poo Samm Levine really is a big prick! I love Scott storming off once(Was it really a bathroom break :iiam: ), Paul knocking over Samm's beer, and then both Scott and Paul getting out of there ASAP. What a sore sport, if Aukerman or Paul had won it would have been soooo great.

Also I checked out the CBB forum at Earwolf.com and it has to be filled with the worst loving wordplay and bad catchphrase ideas I've ever read.

• Locked thread