Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I have two Skype icons on my LaunchPad. I have no idea why. Clicking both open the same program.

What?
Do you have Skype in /Applications and ~/Applications, maybe?

Krakkles posted:

This is really annoying ... why would Apple release something this loving buggy?
I love how there's always one person with a completely hosed up system going ":argh: APPLE! :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!

Krakkles posted:

Parallels Desktop is doing this, also, and Force Quitting didn't resolve. Tried updating and everything. This is really annoying ... why would Apple release something this loving buggy?

Good guess, but that's actually because the app only shows on transitions - I took the screenshot between two spaces.

Finder did it when I first installed Lion, was fixed by a Force Quit/Relaunch. I've discovered that it does it again each time I restart (i.e. I have to Force Quit Finder each time I restart my MBP).

Parallels Desktop is also doing it, I updated it, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and of course Force Quit. Nothing has worked.

Edit: Also run software update several times to make sure Lion is as up-to-date as possible.

If nothing else works, clean install. Fixes everything.

Edit: I had a few hickups when upgrading from an already used system. Decided to clean install. Works awesome now. Just remember to back up your things (music, documents etc) and the oft forgotten /Library/Application Support/ and things like that. :P

DirtyWorker fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 21, 2011

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I love how there's always one person with a completely hosed up system going ":argh: APPLE! :argh:"
It's a brand new MBP with absolutely nothing special installed - you really think this should be having issues like this?

I know you're a mod and everything, but you're not really being helpful. I realize there's no reason you or anyone else has to, but the mod team has certainly probated people for less, and it's not really setting a good example.

DirtyWorker posted:

If nothing else works, clean install. Fixes everything.

Already reinstalled Parallels. Do you mean of Lion?

I don't even know how I would do that. Get my CDs, install SL, then reinstall Lion?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The guy who is furious about a bug that he thinks crashes every computer every time it runs (just no one ever talks about it) is OS-independent.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Already reinstalled Parallels. Do you mean of Lion?

Yeah, Lion.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DirtyWorker posted:

Yeah, Lion.

Crap. Ok, when I get home, I guess.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Crap. Ok, when I get home, I guess.

That's kinda the funny thing about Lion. You go from a system full of crap, and just do an upgrade on top of it. I've always been skeptical of that. Feels better having a clean system though. Like I said above, always backup though. I've sometimes forgotten a couple of folders, and it pisses me off.

VV Kinda harsh, but ok. :P Btw, why isn't Quicksilver on the list of Productivity apps in the second post? http://qsapp.com/ Oh, and tell people to get BezelHUD for it http://code.bencochran.com/bezelhud/

DirtyWorker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 21, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

It's a brand new MBP with absolutely nothing special installed - you really think this should be having issues like this?

I know you're a mod and everything, but you're not really being helpful. I realize there's no reason you or anyone else has to, but the mod team has certainly probated people for less, and it's not really setting a good example.
So reinstall Lion already or take it back. You really think a forum full of people who have had Lion for a day will know why your machine is hosed up?

We don't owe you any tech support so stop acting like an entitled dipshit.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Do you have Skype in /Applications and ~/Applications, maybe?

While I fully agree that it's pretty ridiculous and in this case I'm not referring to the guy's MBP issue, you know... Apple can make mistakes/release buggy software or hardware. :P

Off-topic: Your new avatar. It's so... mesmerizing...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Apple can make mistakes/release buggy software or hardware. :P
I'm not here to defend Apple, but Lion in my experience has been the best 10.x.0 release that they've ever done. They're always going to be buggy though and there's always going to be 10.x.1 within a month of release to clean up the issues that become apparent with mass adoption. Don't be an early adopter if you can't deal with a few rough spots.

But when one user come in with a completely hosed system as opposed to the many people who just have minor issues, it's generally a problem with their setup or something that needs to be corrected at the Genius Bar.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

I'm not here to defend Apple, but Lion in my experience has been the best 10.x.0 release that they've ever done. They're always going to be buggy though and there's always going to be 10.x.1 within a month of release to clean up the issues that become apparent with mass adoption. Don't be an early adopter if you can't deal with a few rough spots.

But when one user come in with a completely hosed system as opposed to the many people who just have minor issues, it's generally a problem with their setup or something that needs to be corrected at the Genius Bar.

Or just buggy 3rd party software which hasn't been fixed for use with Lion yet.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

DirtyWorker posted:

This is the most likely scenario.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mik posted:

I want to get a MBA; I also have two other Macs at home that need a copy of Lion. Would the EULA for the bundled/installed copy of Lion with the Air allow me to install it on my other machines (from the included thumb drive, or from the App Store), or does it actually only allow that for copies bought through the App Store? Similarly, does Lion show up as a "Purchased App" in the App Store with a new machine?
In the past the OSes that come with machines are only for that machine, I'd be surprised if that changed...also they had a simple check to make sure you were installing on that type of model only, so don't be surprised if that USB stick says something like "this cannot be installed on this machine" for your other computers. No clue on the App Store thing I'd lean towards no, but that's just a wild guess.

withak posted:

Is there a Foobar2k equivalent for Mac? Mainly I want a tree view to browse my library organized by Genre->Artist->Album or similar without having to navigate a list of things hundreds of items long or more. Something like this. Is there a way to make iTunes work like that?
Kind of but not exactly. If you hit command-B (or search for "browse" in the help menu) it'll bring up columns which let you drill down similarly. I think you can configure them to an extent somewhere too, I have my iTunes set up with Genre->Artist->Album, and you can set it up as horizontal or vertical split panes, I prefer the latter to see longer lists.

You can also command/shift click stuff to select multiple criteria within a list which is nice if you want to do something like listen to more than one genre, or only a few artists or albums within a list.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So reinstall Lion already or take it back. You really think a forum full of people who have had Lion for a day will know why your machine is hosed up?

We don't owe you any tech support so stop acting like an entitled dipshit.

Asking for help in a thread where people are asking others for help is not "acting like an entitled dipshit". As soon as DirtyWorker (very helpfully, so THANK YOU, DW) suggested reinstalling, I stated that I would do it.

My point is that instead of saying "hey you should reinstall", you decided to make erroneous claims about my system and call me an entitled dips hit.

DirtyWorker posted:

Like Finder? :q:

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

^^ Since when hasn't Finder been buggy?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

This is the most likely scenario.

Speaking of 3rd party. Don't know if this has been posted yet. Should be added to the OP. http://roaringapps.com/ list of apps compatible with Lion, curated by users.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is it possible to Bootcamp Windows 7 off an external drive?

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

MZ posted:

Is it possible to Bootcamp Windows 7 off an external drive?

2 seconds with Google "The official MS line is that it is not possible. It can however be done, assuming you can get your main installation of Windows to recognise the external hard drive."

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

All good points. Though you really do think it's the best 10.x.0 release ever? Personally I always favored 10.1.0 since it made OS X usable (joking... well, not on the usable part).

Admittedly I haven't had a chance yet to use Lion so I can't comment on it, but so far my favorite release was probably Leopard, but here's hoping Lion replaces it in that regard.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks for the RoaringApps link. Very useful stuff!

I'm just glad my iWork keyboard troubles are not limited to my machine. Also, installing the AppStore version of Kindle fixed the syncing problem (I always used the client you can download from Amazon before).

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Here are some crapy "stitched" wallpapers if anyone wants to use them. :P Different flavors for the different types. Still haven't done MBA. :P Just shout if anyone wants that one.

DirtyWorker fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 21, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Krakkles posted:

Parallels Desktop is doing this, also, and Force Quitting didn't resolve. Tried updating and everything. This is really annoying ... why would Apple release something this loving buggy?

I guess I don't understand your issue. Parallels, an App that already has known issues in Lion is having problems, and you blame Apple? Maybe that's why SWSP is being hard on you?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

DirtyWorker posted:

2 seconds with Google "The official MS line is that it is not possible. It can however be done, assuming you can get your main installation of Windows to recognise the external hard drive."

How would I do that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I guess I don't understand your issue. Parallels, an App that already has known issues in Lion is having problems, and you blame Apple? Maybe that's why SWSP is being hard on you?
He's having Finder issues as well, which implies something bigger is screwed up with his system.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Something's gone horribly wrong.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

^^^ I'm guessing it's trying to undelete the Snow Leopard files in protest? :P

MZ posted:

How would I do that?

Google it..

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Installed Lion at work today, it broke some of our software. Also I don't really want my mac to feel like an iPad, I'm not really sold on it yet, perhaps give it a couple of minor updates and we'll see....

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MZ posted:

Installed Lion at work today, it broke some of our software.
:psyduck:

MZ posted:

I don't really want my mac to feel like an iPad, I'm not really sold on it yet, perhaps give it a couple of minor updates and we'll see....
How does it feel like an iPad? Ignore LaunchPad if you don't like it. Most power users already use Spotlight or Alfred to start applications. Mainstream users who just hate change can still use the Dock or just make an Applications stack like Snow Leopard.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

How does it feel like an iPad? Ignore LaunchPad if you don't like it. Most power users already use Spotlight or Alfred to start applications. Mainstream users who just hate change can still use the Dock or just make an Applications stack like Snow Leopard.

Or they can do the sensible thing and just ignore change, stick with the old and be happy?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DirtyWorker posted:

Or they can do the sensible thing and just ignore change, stick with the old and be happy?
The auto-saving and versioning systems alone are enough for me to push my computer illiterate friends and family to move from Snow Leopard to Lion. They'll either adapt to LaunchPad or I'll just make an Applications stack.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

The auto-saving and versioning systems alone are enough for me to push my computer illiterate friends and family to move from Snow Leopard to Lion. They'll either adapt to LaunchPad or I'll just make an Applications stack.

But, but, it's an iPad!

Seriously though, those are the two killer features when developers start to implement them into their apps.

Edit: Here's hoping Adobe won't spend four years implementing them. Versions and Auto-saving in Photoshop, yes please.

VVV Your grandma is awesome. Tell her that from me. I gave my mom the old iPad as a birthday present. Now she can't go anywhere without it. :D

DirtyWorker fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 21, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DirtyWorker posted:

But, but, it's an iPad!
My grandma will probably like that, actually. Her iPad has replaced her Mac Mini for 90% of her computing tasks anyway.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

:psyduck:

Just sayin' I don't see the point of launchpad, oh and the inverted scrolling thing by default?

It just seems a lot of development put into something to make OSX more seamless for iPhone/iPad users.

Well at least we're getting an OpenGL update, even though its only 3.2.

By the way I'm really not a 'Mainstream user who hates change'.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MZ posted:

Just sayin' I don't see the point of launchpad, oh and the inverted scrolling thing by default?
So don't use LaunchPad and change the scrolling back. Suddenly it's just like Snow Leopard again except you get auto-saving, versioning, and all the other cool under-the-hood stuff that Lion brings with it. :)

MZ posted:

It just seems a lot of development put into something to make OSX more seamless for iPhone/iPad users.
I wonder why.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

^^^^ loving beaten'. XD

MZ posted:

Considering Apple has spent millions if not billions on perfecting touch. It makes sense that the scrolling is the "wrong" way when using a Magic Trackpad. Also, most people who go Mac at this stage will probably be familiar with iPhone or iPad, which is why Launch Pad is there.

Well, duh.. of course they make it more like iOS, because millions upon millions of users are used to iOS.

To most other people, don't knock Lion until you use it with the trackpad, only way to go, bro.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

He's having Finder issues as well, which implies something bigger is screwed up with his system.

Ahhh I see.

MZ posted:

My pet theory is that we will see the next generation of MacBooks (well, Pro I guess :smith: ) with a touchscreen and maybe the ability to fold it back like a tablet. Apple is slowly bringing the features of iOS and OSX together to support this.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Ahhh I see.

My pet theory is that we will see the next generation of MacBooks (well, Pro I guess :smith: ) with a touchscreen and maybe the ability to fold it back like a tablet. Apple is slowly bringing the features of iOS and OSX together to support this.

Apple has refuted this so many times now. They will never make a computer with a touch screen as holding your hand out to touch the screen would kill you after 10 minutes. :P

Edit: Mr. Jobs said “We’ve done tons of user testing on this, and it turns out it doesn’t work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical. It gives great demo but after a short period of time, you start to fatigue and after an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off. it doesn’t work, it’s ergonomically terrible. Touch surfaces want to be horizontal, hence pads.”

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

So don't use LaunchPad and change the scrolling back. Suddenly it's just like Snow Leopard again except you get auto-saving, versioning, and all the other cool under-the-hood stuff that Lion brings with it. :)

I wonder why.

Oh I know, it makes perfect business sense, in fact its a wonder they even bother updating stuff like FCP when that segment of the market is so so comparatively small for them.

Still, their GPU support is still lagging far behind for a platform they tout as the choice for creative professionals.

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

MZ posted:

Still, their GPU support is still lagging far behind for a platform they tout as the choice for creative professionals.

And yet professionals continue to use Macs.. :P Go figure.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Ahhh I see.

To an extent I like the idea, but having used touchscreen-enabled monitors before for work, honestly I could see it becoming tiresome really quickly, with regards to holding your arms up, etc. It works well for tablets since you can put them in your lap and have your arms more-comfortable resting when using the touch screen, but it seems like it'd be more of a gimmick than anything else on a MBP.

Re: convergence of iOS and OS X, it's understandable given Apple's incredible success with iOS devices, but a part of me worries they're going to dumb-down OS X over the next few years by stripping out features that their target, casual audience don't really need, until it's essentially just the current iOS but with a little more desktop functionality. :/

DirtyWorker posted:

And yet professionals continue to use Macs.. :P Go figure.
To be fair, in the IT environment I work in, many of the professionals who are using Macs and OS X, are becoming more vocal in meetings and around the office about their dislike of the direction that Apple is going. I wouldn't at all be surprised if in the next 3-5 years a lot of them switch back to a different OS, depending on the direction Apple continues to take.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DirtyWorker posted:

VVV Your grandma is awesome. Tell her that from me. I gave my mom the old iPad as a birthday present. Now she can't go anywhere without it. :D
iPads are, in fact, quite useful for the less technically inclined members of the family. (I gave my mom one, too.)