Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship
All of our dogs are mutts and, as we only ever for sure know one of the breeds, we are left guessing the others. Here is the youngest dog- Charlie. Her mother was a beagle.

For size comparison, here is her with our other dogs.

Her and Bailey (black lab/border collie).

Both + Buddha (black lab/beagle).

My family believes Charlie is a beagle/whippet mix. She is pretty skinny and fast, and she still bullies the cats a bit.

(Getting all black dogs was pretty much an accident. The dog before these three was also black- a husky/shepherd-something mix.)

this fish flies fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Traxis posted:

This is the puppy I will be adopting (sorry for blurry camera phone pic):

The shelter says she is Australian Cattle Dog/Chinese Sharpei mix, but I don't see it. Any ideas? It is going to be excruciating waiting the few days until she comes home..

I don't really see those breeds either, but puppies don't give many hints. What a pretty deep brown she is though.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Traxis posted:

This is the puppy I will be adopting (sorry for blurry camera phone pic):

The shelter says she is Australian Cattle Dog/Chinese Sharpei mix, but I don't see it. Any ideas? It is going to be excruciating waiting the few days until she comes home..

I can *maybe* see the ACD. Blotchy/mottled/brindle dogs that we got in our shelter (rural Texas) were often part ACD or some sort of pibble mix. The Sharpei seems completely off the mark, however. Those tiny, goofy ears are adorable, and her nose and face seem so petite to me, I wonder if she some sort of farm dog x terrier mix?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Farlow is about 9 months old and 50-55 lbs now, still not a clue what she is. Here's some pictures of her and I going on a walk at 3AM this morning.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
American Brown Dog. :3: Serious answer, it looks like maybe she has GSD in her somewhere, but other than that I'm really not sure.

My family had a golden retriever mix once who looked a lot like Farlow. The place we rescued her from swore up and down that she was mixed with chow, just because her tail curled up a little and she had a purple spot on her tongue. Absolutely none of the chow temperament though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah Farlow looks like a possible shepherd/golden mutt to me, with a bit of who knows what else in there. There's something almost beagle-y about her face.

I'm getting really tired of all the people seeing black/purple on a dog's tongue and immediately declaring "CHOW!!!!" When will people get over this misconception? :doh:

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

kitkat_skye posted:

American Brown Dog. :3: Serious answer, it looks like maybe she has GSD in her somewhere, but other than that I'm really not sure.

Agree 100%. Probably some pibble or Golden Retriever in there too, somewhere. Start mixing various breeds together for a couple of generations, and then you end up with an American Brown Dog. The good news for you is that they tend to be pretty healthy, sturdy, and long-lived dogs.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Skizzles posted:

Yeah Farlow looks like a possible shepherd/golden mutt to me, with a bit of who knows what else in there. There's something almost beagle-y about her face.

I'm getting really tired of all the people seeing black/purple on a dog's tongue and immediately declaring "CHOW!!!!" When will people get over this misconception? :doh:

Yeah Farlow got that reaction a bit, the purple on her tongue has slowly grown from just being spots to covering probably 70% of it now.

I thought most American Brown Dogs had pointy tails and sticky up ears?

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.
Doesn't feel like it's worthy of its own thread but I need to share. And he's a mutt so here we are!

Our dog, a border collie / sleek lab mix, ran off today. He's kind of a darter and we've had some recent break-ins, and we are pretty sure it's the same people just opening the door to let our animals out (wouldn't be the first time). I was really really worried about him, but thanks to the super awesome people at 24/7 Pet Watch, he was found and I picked him up in just a few hours. Their response time was incredible and they were super helpful. If it weren't for that microchip I don't know when (or if) Maynard would be back home with us.

Microchip your pets!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

pik_d posted:

Yeah Farlow got that reaction a bit, the purple on her tongue has slowly grown from just being spots to covering probably 70% of it now.

Just wanted to say I've always enjoyed your pix of Farlow--she's adorable.

I should get some pix of my puppy on here. He's adorable too!

So here he is:

It is really kind of hard to get a picture that shows his eyes.

He has the greatest coat. Short, quick-drying, sheds dirt, but he doesn't shed a lot, at least, not now. There was a period in the spring where he walked around in a cloud of white hair. But since then, not much.

So I can take him to a dog park that's all dirt, but has water, and he can get muddy, and by the time we get home--he's clean and dry!

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 14, 2011

StelthMonky
Jul 11, 2011

In Recovery
Clean Date: 12.10.08
rhymes maybe some Australian Shepard? I'm stumped

StelthMonky fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 14, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Rhymes With Clue posted:

So here he is:

Looks like a cattledog to me.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Rhymes With Clue posted:

So here he is:

Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog? He's hellishly cute.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I'm seeing cattledog too. That tail seems kinda shepherd-y, but that don't mean much. Border collie is also quite possible. Kinda hard to tell his size there.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

This one shows his tail in a non-running position.

He came from a puppy rescue that called him a BC mix. I don't know if that was based on any firm knowledge of his mom, or if it was just a guess based on his coloring. He's definitely a herding dog of some sort, though.

Eight months old, 35 pounds, at the shoulder he comes about up to my knee. Loves to run, loves to leap impossibly high after the frisbee (although he's not very good at catching it--the point seems to be to jump at it, although he does stop it, knock it to the ground, and bring it back).

I think he might be really good at agility. Mutts can do agility, right? I mean that they are allowed into the competition. If not it's discrimination by god.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

This one shows his tail in a non-running position.

I think he might be really good at agility. Mutts can do agility, right? I mean that they are allowed into the competition. If not it's discrimination by god.

He reminds me a lot of our Quinn, also expected to be some kind of generic BC/ACD farm mutt. Herding mutts are the best dogs!

Re: Agility http://www.akc.org/mixedbreeds/
Looks like you're in luck!

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
This is Maverick:

His paperwork from the rescue says he is a cattledog/shepherd mix, primarily shepherd.

He's a huge digger and spends half his time outside lying in various holes he digs.

He also has the weirdest ears I've ever seen. Either holds them like this, or slightly forwards. Every now and then he tries to hold them upright, but they won't quite stick and end up inside out.

He has a white blaze on his chest that has a lot of black hairs in it (merle?), that is also entirely impossible to photograph because he won't stay still for long. His back toes are a darker version of this, and he's got a lot of spots where there is brown fur showing through the black. He's about 18 weeks and 25lb, but he's held steady at 25lb for the past 3 weeks. He's got coarser wavy hair down his back that continues to the end of the tail.

I'm thinking he's got a lot of lab in him, but other than that I have no idea.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Daemoxx posted:

This dawg. :3:

I definitely see lab. Does the white patch look like it has smudgy spots of black? If so, it might be ticking rather than merle - http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/ticking.htm That points towards some cattledog possibly.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I definitely see lab. Does the white patch look like it has smudgy spots of black? If so, it might be ticking rather than merle - http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/ticking.htm That points towards some cattledog possibly.

This site is awesome! I just learned that ACDs can't actually be merle. I've been listing B's coat color all wrong.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
iirc even purebred labs from long lines can have white spots. Although a pit/lab mix wouldn't surprise me at all.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I've got a dog that has wonky ears a lot like Maverick's. Her dad was a working Border Collie, and her mom is a very Collie-ish All-American Brown Dog. Nellie's ears constantly sticking out at weird angles, occasionally bouncing up to erect like a normal BC, but they never stay up for more than a few seconds. Her two littermates had normal erect BC ears, and her mom has nearly erect ears, they just flop a bit at the tips. She's a 'special' dog, and by far the least dignified pet I've ever had. I love her to pieces, but good grief, I would never wish a Border Collie on anybody. It's lazy-rear end Beagles from here on out.

Here's Nellie:

Nellie is Ridiculous by TXQuebec, on Flickr

NellieBW by TXQuebec, on Flickr

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.
My wife and I love our mutt to death.

The middle photo is the day we brought her home last year. She was probably six months old then. The shelter said she was a GSD and Collie mix. I definitely see the GSD. The Collie seems present mostly in her bicycle seat shaped head. You can see her colors thinned out a lot when she got bigger. Her back was so dark at first. Both of her ears stood up then too. Her left one is in a constant state of half down now. It'll come up sometimes when a squirrel or bird gets into the back yard, but not often.

Smart as a whip too. We went on vacation for a week last month and she stayed with my folks. They had her rolling over by the time we got back. She still has a bit of separation anxiety though. It's gotten better but she still acts up a bit as we're getting ready to leave the house. She goes bonkers when we come home. At any rate, mutts hell yeah.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
This is Bella:

The shelter had her listed as part rottie and part cattle dog mix, but when I adopted her they told me she probably has some pit in her and they left that off for obvious reasons.

Her ears do this weird floppy thing sometimes:

She's kind of a fatty but she had puppies not so long ago so we're working on that.

(Yes I know my lawn sucks :( )

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Tojai posted:

This is Bella:

Yeah, there's definitely pit bull in there. :) She's gorgeous.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Yeah, it definitely looks like that. Pretty as hell and continues up onto his chin, where it kind of looks like a smudgy goatee.

Blurrydawg.

Tojai: that second picture is the best thing ever.

edit: bad image link

ftwtom
Feb 7, 2001

This is Buster.

He showed up at mom's house several years ago when he was just a puppy and my dog (the old man dog pictured below, serving as Buster's bed), according to mom, begged for him to be let in the fence. She caved, they played and he's been our fun, frustrating ball of energy ever since.

Vet called him a "West Virginia Black Dog" and said he's got some hound in him, along with a bunch of other things. He's got the speckled chest and does that awesome hound howl. He was really sketchy when we first took him in, but once I figured out he was all bark and wrestled around with him once he's been my pal ever since.

ftwtom fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 18, 2011

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
This is currently unnamed 6 month old pup. My boyfriend and I are trying to agree on an old man name we both like (I'm pushing for Reginald, he likes George - we are welcome to suggestions). What the heck is he? The shelter had him listed as a shepherd mix. Now the boyfriend thinks there may be a little pit in him but, as we've come to find out, the shelter we got him from doesn't adopt out pits or pit mixes so I have no clue what else he could be. Maybe boxer mix? Aren't there only a handful of dogs that have the brindle coloring? He also has the longest tail I've ever seen. Do puppies grow into their tails or something because I swear his almost touches the ground when he's not wagging it around and knocking over glasses.

I love his stupid ears and can't wait until they stand straight up.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

The shelter said she was a GSD and Collie mix. I definitely see the GSD. The Collie seems present mostly in her bicycle seat shaped head.

I could see her being a GSD/smooth collie mix, actually. It'd be easier to tell with a picture of her standing. She's gorgeous. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Here's my cousin's dog, Micah. They found her abandoned at a construction site, brought her to a shelter, then adopted her when no one wanted her. No one knows what kind of dog she is though, but I think she's a mutt? Maybe some lab in her, I dunno.

She can be really stubborn, and sometimes she rubs up on people like a cat. Cutest dog. :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Bacteriophage posted:

This is currently unnamed 6 month old pup. My boyfriend and I are trying to agree on an old man name we both like (I'm pushing for Reginald, he likes George - we are welcome to suggestions). What the heck is he? The shelter had him listed as a shepherd mix. Now the boyfriend thinks there may be a little pit in him but, as we've come to find out, the shelter we got him from doesn't adopt out pits or pit mixes so I have no clue what else he could be. Maybe boxer mix? Aren't there only a handful of dogs that have the brindle coloring? He also has the longest tail I've ever seen. Do puppies grow into their tails or something because I swear his almost touches the ground when he's not wagging it around and knocking over glasses.

I love his stupid ears and can't wait until they stand straight up.

Looks like a drat cute brindle mutt. He may or may not have some pit in there, but he's probably a pretty mutted up mix of breeds. Lots of dogs can have brindle coloring, various hounds and sighthounds, bully breeds, terriers, hell even Cardigan Corgis and Daschunds. From what you've said about his long tail, I'd guess maybe some sighthound in there but who knows...

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 23, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Deadly Chlorine posted:

No one knows what kind of dog she is though, but I think she's a mutt? Maybe some lab in her, I dunno.

I see Black Lab x Australian Cattle Dog, with possibly more mixed in. We used to get dogs that look like this in from rural shelters all the time. I always liked them (usually sweet, smart, and willing to please), though they were often pretty hard to adopt out.

Jorge Cauldron 2
Apr 13, 2007
HEY GUYS IM BACK JUST FORGOT MY EMAIL IM NOT AN 07 D00DS

I got Melvin from the local shelter. He's from Alabama (we're in the NE). The DNA test came back as sort of inconclusive - too numerous to count? I'd like to hear everyones guesses. He's about 50 pounds, extremely mellow, has a spitz-y tail and almost never barks. He does whine/howl like a husky I guess. He comes to the Vet with me where I work and gets lots of attention, but people tend to throw out pretty retarded guesses constantly.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

This is my mom's new dog, Tess.

The shelter called her a boxer/pit bull mix, but I don't see much pit in her.

She is super sweet and polite and well-behaved.

I was a little apprehensive about them getting a dog, since my family never really had the best track record with pets when I was growing up, but so far I've been really impressed by them. My stepdad especially has taken to her, and is using the NILIF method to train her (although I don't think he knows that's what it is). He calls her his Heinz-57 dog. :3:

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
That looks like a pit face to me. Does she have a really big dopey-looking Joker grin when her mouth is open?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. There is definitely some pit, but there's something else that seems more dominant, and I can't put my finger on it. She is pit-sized though, about 45 pounds.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!

anachrodragon posted:

Looks like a drat cute brindle mutt. He may or may not have some pit in there, but he's probably a pretty mutted up mix of breeds. Lots of dogs can have brindle coloring, various hounds and sighthounds, bully breeds, terriers, hell even Cardigan Corgis and Daschunds. From what you've said about his long tail, I'd guess maybe some sighthound in there but who knows...

Our vet was stumped as well and told us that he was a BBD - brindled brown dog. We're just going to call him a Texas dingo mix if anyone asks.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

ftwtom posted:

This is Buster.

He showed up at mom's house several years ago when he was just a puppy and my dog (the old man dog pictured below, serving as Buster's bed), according to mom, begged for him to be let in the fence. She caved, they played and he's been our fun, frustrating ball of energy ever since.

Vet called him a "West Virginia Black Dog" and said he's got some hound in him, along with a bunch of other things. He's got the speckled chest and does that awesome hound howl. He was really sketchy when we first took him in, but once I figured out he was all bark and wrestled around with him once he's been my pal ever since.

I have almost the same exact dog. He was brought, as a puppy, up from West Virginia. Part Lab, part hound. The shelter said bluetick coonhound-lab mix possibly.

Your second picture really gets to me. We also had an older dog who looked like your other dog. He passed today.

Quills fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 25, 2011

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

What is this monster? He is 70lbs, skinny as hell, rambunctious, and athletic.

Someone said "shepherd-mix / beagle" but I'd like some more informed guesses.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I vote pit/GSD. I'm not the only one seeing pit in his face right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
This is Lucky (I renamed her from "Molly" when I was twelve, don't judge me). She's got the intellectual prowess of a lintball, but she picked up simple commands easily enough. Whenever she meets strangers and new dogs, she tends to want to crawl all over them. Even as an old(ish) lady at around eleven, she's still full of energy. The family we got her from insisted she was a Brittany Spaniel, so whenever someone on the street asked what she was, that was what we told them and they seemed to eat that up. I think she seems a bit too..."pointy" and long in the muzzle to be one, and of all the pictures I've seen of Brittanys on Google, none seem to have the same long coat as her (unless that's just standard maintenance?). :/

Until recently, my mom hated her eyes, saying they were too "snake-like". I always thought they were pretty.

Begging my mom for belly rubs.

As a note, she's my parents' dog, and coming home after more than a year, she got pretty pudgy. I remember her a lot trimmer than she looks right now, even under all that fluff.