Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

just bought foundations on my ipad then perhaps dune sequels after that? we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I wish you were eaten by Shai-Hulud

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mr_jim posted:

if you end up getting probated for drunk posting, i'm down with this plan.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mr_jim posted:

if you end up getting anally raped, i'm down with this plan.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
What's this about Mortal Engines? Cities eating each other? Badass much?

Seriously though are the books good should nerds read them?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
PYF crazy bigoted conservative SF:

quote:

It is circa 2032, or more precisely, the 23rd year of Jobless Recovery. The U.S. is tottering, weighing in at only 44 ½ states, its mass eaten away by Mexico, its interior rotted out by floods of immigrants, by loss of faith in a free-market economy, by national healthcare and a myriad of other entitlement programs, by the global-warming hoax and green-energy boondoggles, and by drugs, the most pervasive being "flashback," which allows its users to visit their pasts in a dream state. It's a bad, bad time, and its fatal origins lie, we are instructed, with the Obama presidency, its spendthrift domestic programs and pusillanimous foreign policy.

Highways are disintegrating, people live in former malls cut into cubicles, and, adding insult to injury, right-wing talk radio has been banned. Japanese overlords have set up "green zones" across the land and America's once proud and powerful military is now hired out as mercenaries to fight for Japan and India. At the same time, a New Global Caliphate flourishes and Islam spreads. An immense and towering mosque sits at ground zero and annual celebrations commemorate the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. In Los Angeles, where much of the story takes place, the bells of Christian churches add their peels to "the cries of the muezzin ... to show their solidarity, understanding, and forgiveness." The Caliphate has obliterated Israel with 11 exceedingly dirty nuclear bombs, killing 6 million Jews. The survivors of this "Second Holocaust" are now sequestered in a former Six Flags amusement park in Denver by a U.S. government "terrified of angering the Global Caliphate" that is waiting to exterminate them.
Apparently at the end the Texas Rangers defeat the Mexicans and then go on to take on the Muslims.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

Apparently at the end the Texas Rangers defeat the Mexicans and then go on to take on the Muslims.

Yo if you're gonna get interned anywhere Six Flags is far from the worst place it could be

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Action Jacktion posted:

it's too bad - simmons has written some great stuff, especially the Hyperion books, but after 9/11 he fell headfirst into islamofascism/eurabia paranoia like he had ten thousand posts on freerepublic. sad.

orson scott card is another one whose post-9/11 output has been about treasonous leftists joining with muslimofascists to build a new american caliphate and how brave american freedom fighters fight back, but he's been well known as a right-wing crank for ages. it would have been surprising if he hadn't gone full freeper.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

FMguru posted:

it's too bad - simmons has written some great stuff, especially the Hyperion books, but after 9/11 he fell headfirst into islamofascism/eurabia paranoia like he had ten thousand posts on freerepublic. sad.

orson scott card is another one whose post-9/11 output has been about treasonous leftists joining with muslimofascists to build a new american caliphate and how brave american freedom fighters fight back, but he's been well known as a right-wing crank for ages. it would have been surprising if he hadn't gone full freeper.

i may have mentioned this before, but card has also advocated for armed rebellion against the federal government if the defense of marriage act is repealed.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
captain america was cool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dan simmons is a wingnut? god dammit

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Action Jacktion posted:

that synopsis sounds kinda like the texas-israeli war, as far as bullshit geopolitical crackpot prophecies go

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

this is just the worst

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

what is that poo poo, "down and out in the magic kingdom" for racist republican rapturephile rednecks?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

on the other hand it's probably much better writing.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Coffee Quack posted:

on the other hand it's probably much better writing.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think 12 monkeys came up earlier and i'm watching it for the first time and so far the camera work is pissing me off a lot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
12 monkeys owns

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah i'm going to reserve judgement cause i haven't been paying attention and it's late, no way in hell i'm making it thru this movie

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

mods change tom collins name to 12 monkeytails, tia

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

yeah i'm going to reserve judgement cause i haven't been paying attention and it's late, no way in hell i'm making it thru this movie

at the end he's a kid and he sees himself getting shot at the airport, hth

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

this retroactively reduced my enjoyment of ilium/olympos, though at least I bought them bought them used. If I read anything else of his I'll be sure to buy secondhand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

12 monkeys owns

Shaggar was right

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

haveblue posted:

Shaggar was right

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The original French slideshow that that it's based on is cool too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_jet%C3%A9e

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

at the end he's a kid and he sees himself getting shot at the airport, hth

thanks human being

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Terry Gilliam owns, and by extension so does 12 Monkeys

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

golgo13sf posted:

Terry Gilliam owns, and by extension so does 12 Monkeys

I'm watching Monty Python's Almost the Truth on Netflix. Great documentary, horrible intro sequence though.

Episode 4 details the production of the Holy Grail. There's an amazing segment where the 2 Terrys are directing the film, each in their own way. One scene, Gilliam is seen jumping up and down like a kid saying "We're really learning as we do it, this is nice! We're given an entire feature film to learn how to make films on."

He had never done any real big directing 'til that film. And now he owns owns owns.

edit: episode 4

down1nit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 24, 2011

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

ahhahahahahaha that synopsis just kept getting worse and worse holy poo poo

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

down1nit posted:

I'm watching Monty Python's Almost the Truth on Netflix. Great documentary, horrible intro sequence though.

Episode 4 details the production of the Holy Grail. There's an amazing segment where the 2 Terrys are directing the film, each in their own way. One scene, Gilliam is seen jumping up and down like a kid saying "We're really learning as we do it, this is nice! We're given an entire feature film to learn how to make films on."

He had never done any real big directing 'til that film. And now he owns owns owns.

edit: episode 4

from what i know it was really ugly for graham chapman during that whole thing, he was going thru nasty booze withdrawal on account of being a crazy bad alcoholic

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

from what i know it was really ugly for graham chapman during that whole thing, he was going thru nasty booze withdrawal on account of being a crazy bad alcoholic

Yeah, and no one knew how bad it was. He was surprised one morning to find the hotel bar wasn't open. At 7 AM. He was mostly though not entirely drunk in every scene since filming went on all day. He would sauce in the morning from a bottle he snuck in and when evening rolled around, he was mostly un-drunkified.

Hard to tell though, he played his role so well.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
anyone seen cap. america?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

captain america was cool

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
it looked kind of poo poo from the previews

"lol i'm a skinny nerd fag oh wait now im big and muscly ~plot~"

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
every movie looks lovely in the previews

also the preview for the new mission impossible owns because it gives away the plot twist that the guy running IMF is a traitor lmao

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Brace posted:

it looked kind of poo poo from the previews

"lol i'm a skinny nerd fag oh wait now im big and muscly ~plot~"

literally the story behind the norway killer, btw

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kirk posted:

also the preview for the new mission impossible owns because it gives away the plot twist that the guy running IMF is a traitor lmao

loving again?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Kirk posted:

cloverfield preview fukken owned, so did the movie

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

i wish they'd just switch the franchise to mission impossible-but-not so that the other two sweet movies weren't linked to the tedium of the second one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Brace posted:

cloverfield preview fukken owned, so did the movie

nope

• Locked thread