Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Just knocked out Crysis, feel pretty good. Now to install Warhead and give that a try.

If it has a stupid vehicle section too I'm gonna be upset. That VTOL crap was annoying, why do games do this sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

Beat Sam and Max Season 1: Episode 5. Very interesting setting, I hope the creativity keeps up through the rest of the series.

It doesn't just keep up, it gets progressively better all the way through!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm actually playing the one game I bought during the sale, Scratches. I know probably no one cares about this small adventure title that's now about 6 years old, but I'm really liking it, aside from one particularly stupid puzzle I got stuck on in the second day. How the hell are you expected to know that you need to look for a wall safe behind a painting, there's absolutely no hint that's what you have to do to progress beyond the second morning. I'm pissed because I got so completely tired of clicking around in every room that I had to look up a hint online, and that always ruins it a little for me. Other than that though, it's got great atmosphere and sound design, the first day of just rummaging around in the creepy old house and exploring everything was the most fun I've had in an adventure game in a while. This was definitely worth the $5, which is more than I can say for a bunch of the other games on my list.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

God drat, Scratches was such a good game. It has a few bullshit puzzles (the one mentioned was annoying but there's a visual context clue only if you view it right) but the way the plot is told was fantastic. The ending is a little disappointing but everything leading up to it is top notch.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Soral posted:

I never played Deus Ex in it's day, and I understand that it's supposed to be a classic, but I feel as if it has not aged very delicately :(

It didn't, but it also has some buggy drivers that can make it look much worse than it should. If you don't see the Statue of Liberty in the first five seconds of the game, you've hit a bug with the draw depth. Try switching the config to OpenGL mode instead of Direct3D and life will suddenly get much better.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've reached level 11 on Descent 2, and it's really starting to annoy me. Between the inhumanly-fast thief bot, the ultra-inhumanly-fast mine-laying drones, the suicide drones that knock you around, the claw-drones that rush you *and* shoot tracking plasma or something like that, and others that I'm forgetting... between all those, the enemies in this game really suck. The first game only had two that I really hated, the tracking-missile-launching drone and the driller whose shots you could not dodge at all.

And I take back what I said about the level design. In the previous game, there would usually only be one or two enemy spawners per level. Now, there's at least 6 on every map. It's like the designers said, "Hmmmm, what are the most annoying aspects of the previous game, and how can we make it even *more* annoying?"

And I love that their solution to the player getting every available weapon in the previous game within the first four or so levels is adding an enemy that steals poo poo from you. Hey, how about you just spread the weapons out over the course of the game instead of giving them all out at once and having to steal them back? Stupid.

Not to mention that I've reached the lava levels, where if you're not careful and bump into the ground, you'll lose health. If I remember right, the first game got very frustrating at around this time too, so hopefully the more annoying enemies will become more sparse as I get further along. If not, I may end up losing interest in this game. Though at least I got my money's worth in the previous game.

Edit: It must be "Piss Frank Off" night when it comes to games, I tried some more Just Cause, and in between two missions, it went from "Easy enough" to "Kicking my rear end bad enough to make me rage quit" (was finally doing good on a mission, and then was randomly run over and killed instantly). I thought about just getting cheat codes and blowing through the game, but turns out the PC version doesn't have cheat codes (none that I've found online, at least). So what game mechanics, exactly, does the second game improve upon? If it's "infinite enemy spawning", "terrible vehicle handling", and/or "grappling hook that isn't worth poo poo", then I may take your advise after all and skip to it.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 21, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ You've nailed pretty much every reason that I've finished Descent twice and Descent 2 not at all.

ManxomeBromide posted:

It didn't, but it also has some buggy drivers that can make it look much worse than it should. If you don't see the Statue of Liberty in the first five seconds of the game, you've hit a bug with the draw depth. Try switching the config to OpenGL mode instead of Direct3D and life will suddenly get much better.

A better idea is to install this updated DX10 renderer, if you have a DX10-capable video card.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Chief Savage Man posted:

Beat Sam and Max Season 1: Episode 5. Very interesting setting, I hope the creativity keeps up through the rest of the series.

You are in for a treat, it doesn't just keep up, it becomes more and more creative and WAY better with each subsequent season.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Eh! Frank posted:

I've reached level 11 on Descent 2, and it's really starting to annoy me. Between the inhumanly-fast thief bot, the ultra-inhumanly-fast mine-laying drones, the suicide drones that knock you around, the claw-drones that rush you *and* shoot tracking plasma or something like that, and others that I'm forgetting... between all those, the enemies in this game really suck. The first game only had two that I really hated, the tracking-missile-launching drone and the driller whose shots you could not dodge at all.

And I take back what I said about the level design. In the previous game, there would usually only be one or two enemy spawners per level. Now, there's at least 6 on every map. It's like the designers said, "Hmmmm, what are the most annoying aspects of the previous game, and how can we make it even *more* annoying?"

And I love that their solution to the player getting every available weapon in the previous game within the first four or so levels is adding an enemy that steals poo poo from you. Hey, how about you just spread the weapons out over the course of the game instead of giving them all out at once and having to steal them back? Stupid.

Not to mention that I've reached the lava levels, where if you're not careful and bump into the ground, you'll lose health. If I remember right, the first game got very frustrating at around this time too, so hopefully the more annoying enemies will become more sparse as I get further along. If not, I may end up losing interest in this game. Though at least I got my money's worth in the previous game.

Edit: It must be "Piss Frank Off" night when it comes to games, I tried some more Just Cause, and in between two missions, it went from "Easy enough" to "Kicking my rear end bad enough to make me rage quit" (was finally doing good on a mission, and then was randomly run over and killed instantly). I thought about just getting cheat codes and blowing through the game, but turns out the PC version doesn't have cheat codes (none that I've found online, at least). So what game mechanics, exactly, does the second game improve upon? If it's "infinite enemy spawning", "terrible vehicle handling", and/or "grappling hook that isn't worth poo poo", then I may take your advise after all and skip to it.

I've heard that Just Cause 2 (and, most likely the original) is best played on easy. You know...Island rear end in a top hat.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

My nickname is Keisari, and I'm a steamaholic. My steam account is worth 1300 euros. The good thing is I haven't paid for most of the games in full price. I've beaten a good portion of the games, but a few of those goddamn 5 euro games I just couldn't focus on for long enough. I used the steam autoselect page, and it picked Evil Genius. I'm gonna play it all the way through.

I also need to complete games like Divinity 2, Dark Messiah, Sam & Max....

Anyway this is a good thread, keep it up!

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Eh! Frank posted:

I must have a lower piss-off threshold than you because I actually gave up Descent 1 about halfway through because of the loving drillers and also those red hulks that shoot homing missiles. Seriously gently caress those two enemies. I was really enjoying the game (playing it on whatever the middle difficulty level is) up to the point where it started throwing lots of red hulks at me. I mean I can at least deal with the drillers since it's easy enough to just reload a save and take them out with a homing missile of your own if you know where they are, but the red hulks, ugh. Peek out from cover and launch a volley or two, duck back in cover, peek out and shoot, etc. like 10 times just to take a single one out, and pray it doesn't manage to hit you with splash from its cheap rear end homing rockets in the meantime.

Also the levels just got to be too long for me to get through in a single sitting. I just don't have the patience I used to have. I mean I really liked the feeling of exploring the fully 3D maps but after completing a map I'd just be kind of mentally drained from keeping the whole map in my head, and so I'd never feel like playing through more than one map in a single sitting, which meant it was slow going.

So all in all it's still a good game, glad I bought it, but after getting about halfway through it I'd had enough. I think I beat like 14 maps and IIRC there are 30 total?

So during the recent sale I managed to not buy too much stuff, and actually during the sale itself I for some reason got back into playing TF2. I'd forgotten how fun it is (although I really have more fun pubbing it up for some reason. I've tried playing on goon servers and everybody always seems really pissy and annoyed all the time) and so that took some time away from backlogging.

I've spent a pretty good amount of time with two games I picked up in the sale, Poker Night at the Inventory (which is a fun time waster I play when I have like 30 minutes to play and my kids might walk in on me at any time so I don't want to play anything violent) and HoMM5. Played through the first campaign of HoMM5 and enjoyed it, although it took a long-rear end time and I probably will just stick to the occasional random skirmish map rather than doing any more campaigns in it.

Question about Poker Night though: does anybody actually "beat" the game? Is that even possible? Or do you just play until you've seen all the dialog and gotten sick of it?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just finished up Bioshock 2, it was an ok (but unnecessary)sequel. Best improvement they made was the plasmid/gun duel wielding and getting rid of the hacking minigame.

Working on Singularity now. Love the whacky Soviet Super Science and time travel motifs, but the game doesn't know if it wants to be Bioshock, Half-Life 2 or Stalker, so it just haphazardly mashes them together. The gunplay is pretty solid though.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Lamacq posted:

I must have a lower piss-off threshold than you because I actually gave up Descent 1 about halfway through because of the loving drillers and also those red hulks that shoot homing missiles. Seriously gently caress those two enemies. I was really enjoying the game (playing it on whatever the middle difficulty level is) up to the point where it started throwing lots of red hulks at me. I mean I can at least deal with the drillers since it's easy enough to just reload a save and take them out with a homing missile of your own if you know where they are, but the red hulks, ugh. Peek out from cover and launch a volley or two, duck back in cover, peek out and shoot, etc. like 10 times just to take a single one out, and pray it doesn't manage to hit you with splash from its cheap rear end homing rockets in the meantime.
I played it on easiest, I think, and even then I had problems around levels 10-13, and again during the last couple of levels. My strategy for dealing with the red hulks turned out to be "rush them, head on, firing constantly". They seem to have trouble firing back when they're being directly attacked, but then again, doesn't work as well when there's more than one around.

I forgot to mention the drones in the later levels that have fusion cannons, and can one-shot you if you're not careful. Those guys suck too.

quote:

Also the levels just got to be too long for me to get through in a single sitting. I just don't have the patience I used to have. I mean I really liked the feeling of exploring the fully 3D maps but after completing a map I'd just be kind of mentally drained from keeping the whole map in my head, and so I'd never feel like playing through more than one map in a single sitting, which meant it was slow going.
Same here, I could only play one or two levels at a time. I've been able to do more Descent 2 at once, though, thanks to the guide-bot. Having something to help me find the next key/door/exit seems to speed things up.

quote:

So all in all it's still a good game, glad I bought it, but after getting about halfway through it I'd had enough. I think I beat like 14 maps and IIRC there are 30 total?
There are 27 regular levels and 3 secret levels in the original. I only found one of the secret ones, but it was a pain in the rear end, so I'm not upset about not finding the others.

Anyways, I'll give Descent 2 a few more levels, until I'm halfway through or so, and if it's still annoying me too much, I'll just mark it as "Beaten" or maybe just "Null" and move on, preferably to something quick and easy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

God drat, Scratches was such a good game. It has a few bullshit puzzles (the one mentioned was annoying but there's a visual context clue only if you view it right) but the way the plot is told was fantastic. The ending is a little disappointing but everything leading up to it is top notch.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear that. I'm really enjoying it again now that I got past that absolute cockblock of a puzzle, and I'm determined to use no more hints. The Steam version is "The Director's Cut" and it looks like it comes with some kind of epilogue called "The Last Visit", have you played that? If so, does that maybe wrap the story up a little better?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finished season one of Sam and Max.

TIC TAC DOOM

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that. I'm really enjoying it again now that I got past that absolute cockblock of a puzzle, and I'm determined to use no more hints. The Steam version is "The Director's Cut" and it looks like it comes with some kind of epilogue called "The Last Visit", have you played that? If so, does that maybe wrap the story up a little better?
It's not necessary. It's really short, doesn't have any real puzzles (you just enter previously visited areas and comment on them), and it froze on me at a certain point every time so I gave up and watched the thing on youtube. You can blaze through it in 10 minutes.

The epilogue blatantly ties a few loose ends together that are touched upon in the main story but the main game is really subtle. It almost feels like director's commentary the way everything is laid out and the character comments to himself.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall enjoying Descent 2 more than the original, but maybe that was just fond multiplayer memories.

Finally got around to beating Time Gentlemen, Please! Pretty solid, though a few lategame puzzles necessitated a walkthrough. Has there ever been word of a third game?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm about 2/3 of the way through Trine. I think after I beat it I might go back through level by level to try and unlock everything and 100% the game. It's fun, good graphics, interesting gameplay, and is a platformer that works well with keyboard and mouse.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Ok, Descent 2 is going a lot better now. I got past the lava levels, so I don't have to worry about bumping into harmful walls now. Some of the enemies are still annoying, but there's enough variety that it's not a big deal. Plus, since I've turned the music off, I can hear all of their different sounds, and I think they're kinda cool, and helps let me know when the thief-bot is around.

Speaking of thief-bot, that bastard is still a pain, but it is *so* satisfying, and even a little fun, to hunt that fucker down. This causes the levels to take twice as long as they would if I'd just stayed on the defensive instead of actually going after it, but I really want my poo poo back.

And I haven't noticed as many drone spawners the last couple of levels, and most of them are easy enough to ignore. I do love that the tracking-missile-firing drones in this game are much much easier to destroy than the red hulks in the previous game. I'm actually wondering if I'm playing on an easier setting than I did with the first game; this one has been very annoying at times, but never really difficult and I haven't lost a single life yet.

I'm on the 15th map now, haven't found any secret levels but don't really care to, so I should be over halfway done. Haven't played any more Just Cause yet, will probably just concentrate on D2 since I'm enjoying it a lot again (with some Sims 3 to keep myself from getting burned out).

Edit: Also, I haven't been interested in any of GOG's daily sales, except for Freedom Force, so I should be thankful for that. I have at least a dozen games on my GOG wishlist, but none of them have gone on sale yet, so my backlog hasn't been growing any lately. Although looking at my games list on that site is scary, I just went through it and several times thought "When did I buy *that* game?!" And backloggery shows that 63 of my unplayed/unfinished games are from GOG, and that I've only beaten 4 from that site :smith: Once I finish Descent, I may get somebody to go through my backlog and pick out a few games that could be beaten fairly quickly.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 23, 2011

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished Assassin's Creed 2. Much improved over the first and makes me look forward to another good sale on Brotherhood and to Revelations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Finished Darksiders today. I restarted Assassin's Creed. I stopped after a few hours a long while ago so I'm restarting from the beginning. I grabbed the second one and Brotherhood during the summer sale.

Those sales aren't good for the backlogs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat NyxQuest. Pretty neat little game that reminded me of Trine only more single-player focused. The end gets pretty bonkers too with you platforming and shooting things in the foreground while basically playing Missile Command with the sun in the background. Very cool.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

The people responsible for what you need to do to quit Assassin's Creed should be flogged.

Menu, exit memory, loading, exit Animus, loading, menu, quit, yes, loading, press button, select profile, confirm profile, loading, Exit, yes, FINALLY!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alt+f4 works wonders.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedd posted:

Alt+f4 works wonders.

I'm always afraid to corrupt my save games in these lovely console ports where it auto saves and you can't spread your saves in multiple slots/files.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had a chance to update the second post recently, I'll set some time to do it tomorrow.

Also, it's probably been mentioned, but Backloggery registrations are open again. I'd like to just have that listed in there if possible.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Migishu posted:

I haven't had a chance to update the second post recently, I'll set some time to do it tomorrow.

Also, it's probably been mentioned, but Backloggery registrations are open again. I'd like to just have that listed in there if possible.

Are you going to wade through the thread?

Just in case you don't :

code:
[url=http://backloggery.com/Hemish][img]http://backloggery.com/hemish/sig.gif[/img][/url]

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Still working my way through Trine, on the Heartland Mines level. Really fun, glad I started playing this. When I finish Trine I have no idea what I'm going to play next.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hemish posted:

The people responsible for what you need to do to quit Assassin's Creed should be flogged.

Menu, exit memory, loading, exit Animus, loading, menu, quit, yes, loading, press button, select profile, confirm profile, loading, Exit, yes, FINALLY!
That was one of the many things they fixed in AC2. Thankfully.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hemish posted:

I'm always afraid to corrupt my save games in these lovely console ports where it auto saves and you can't spread your saves in multiple slots/files.

If you wait until the goatse/chip/icon stops flashing you can safely alt+f4. :)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Comparing my (DOS) Might and Magic run with the (Mac) LP is pretty instructive. The strategies I've had to use are quite different from Thuryl's, in no small part because the lack of XP glitches means that abusing items becomes much more important.

(I have yet to have a single Disintegrate spell stick, though in my defense I'm not supposed to have that spell yet either :smith:)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Migishu posted:

I noticed I'm in that second post. In case you do update it, Just Cause 2 and Crysis are BEATEN, now I'm slowly chipping away at GTA4, almost beaten Blood: One Whole Unit from GOG, and banging my head against Bit.Trip Runner. That game is a bastard.

When I finish Blood, I hope to resume Descent 2, as I stopped last year about halfway through due to burn out (I started it right after beating the first game). When I finish GTA4, I'm going to see if I can knock off a bunch of those short games on my Steam list to make it seem like progress is being made with my backlog.

GTA4 is looooong when you have a full-time job and not much freetime, so I'm not going to play anymore long games for a while (sorry The Witcher)

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Still working on Descent 2, doing usually two levels a night. I'm on 19 now, I think their are 27 in this game again, so I'm 2/3 of the way done (not including secret levels).

Haven't been playing Just Cause any, but I've been putting a little bit of time into Far Cry every now and then, whenever the mood hits. Then I get killed, say "Screw this", and go back to another game.

And Sims 3 is taking up some of the time I could be using on games that can actually be beaten.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.
Beat Torchlight a few days ago. At least, the story for Torchlight. Still playing it though. Used the fortune cookie function on Backloggery and got a game to play on Steam and Xbox now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Dammit, Steam Thread, I actually rarely purchase new games, but that Steam sale was pretty tantalizing. I picked up Torchlight, NWN2 Platinum (which is more or less just to run SoZ with my friends seeing as how I've beaten the OC before), Divinity 2 (which I've wanted for a long time and I'm loving it), Far Cry 1+2, The Longest Journey, Magicka, Just Cause 2, and The Witcher 1. And my friend got me Drakensang because it was like 1 euro. Great deal all-in-all, not even $35. Of course I plan to play all of them, evne if JC2 is gonna have to wait until I get Windows 7 on this box.

And then you assholes said that Back to the Future is awesome. So I got it. And it was. It was more than worth it, but it wasn't even on sale :(

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 25, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:w00t: beat A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda. Nothing too fancy but worth more than the dollar I paid in the indy action pack on Steam. For anyone looking for a Mega Man fix definitely check it out.

I did have a problem with the controls and it's the same problem I have with Capsized. The games require you to aim in every direction constantly so it's easier to do so with a mouse but they also rely on 2D platforming which is always easier with a controller so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Oh shiiiii, I just beat my first game since Portal 2. And probably acquired about 20 since then.

Bulletstorm, you were pretty awesome all things considered. There were definitely things in it not to like, but it hit the whole running-around-shooting-things-and-making-it-really-fun on the nose.

I'm starting to go towards more indie games in my usual StarCraft invaded gaming life, and I think I want to beat Recettear and/or kill Dredmore. But I also have these Back to the Future games staring at me. But for whatever reason I seem to power through games I start around breakfast, so I might have established a nice schedule for the summer.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Because my backlog consists of maybe 20 games, I just check to see which one I've played the least and play that one.

Also, was considering picking up Oblivion because I never played it and it has been getting a lot of love over in the gaming confessionals thread, but I ended up walking out of Future Shop with the anniversary edition metal box... Steam is a really cool service but sometimes you just wanna have a hard copy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Puzzle Agent 2 and it just wasn't as good as the first one. I'm glad they wrapped up the story and it was still interesting but the puzzles were repetitive and didn't fit the narrative, one of the new characters was horribly voiced, the game ran way worse than the first game for some reason, and it straight up glitched up, crashed, and broke a puzzle on me more than once.

I don't know what the hell happened but it feels like they really rushed Puzzle Agent 2 out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yodzilla posted:

I don't know what the hell happened but it feels like they really rushed Puzzle Agent 2 out the door.

Wow, and the first one was already not good, what with the lame ripoff Layton puzzles* and the stupid, stupid ending (oh, you wanted an ending? buy the sequel).

* like, really, someone got a couple guys together and said, hey, we want to make a Layton game, and then those guys just did the kind of puzzles anyone trying to do a knockoff of said title would do them. Very uninspired.